Start by marking “Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School” as Want to Read:
Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School

Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  153 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Organizing the Disorganized Child explains:

How to solve the messy-backpack problem (page 28).
Step-by-step tips to help your child improve study skills (page 96).
Which school supplies work best for different types of children (page 26).
Methods for note taking (page 99).
Techniques for time management (page 72).
Strategies to refine morning and nighttime routines that will hel
Published August 25th 2009 by HarperStudio (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Organizing the Disorganized Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Organizing the Disorganized Child

May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great links, excellent specific product recommendations. I found the study skills and note taking sections to be particularly interesting.
Lizzie
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very helpful
Aaron Maurer
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts

I read this book looking for some simple and effective ideas to help my own child. I am a teacher at a middle school and therefore I have had these conversations with so many parents it is not even funny! Reading this book reminded me that we are teaching kids the right things with trying to get organized. The thing that stood out to me the most was that the authors were not trying to put into place one system. They had several ideas based on the type of child that you needed to work
Rebecca
Overall a good book with some ideas that make sense but that I hadn't thought of (post it note wallet for example). Very centered on the idea of guiding kids according to their innate organizational style (visual, spacial, chronological). "Some children are more likely to be on the fifty-year plan" strikes me as a bit pessimistic, but perhaps realistic given the number of unorganized adults in the world. The question is, is she saying that even with the ideas in the book, the lack of organizatio ...more
Leigh
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, parenting, own
This is a good book of organizational strategies to use with children. It covers all the important points and strategies in a positive way. THere were a few aha! points in there for me, which is great since I've spent a lot of time professionally on this topic. It covers a wide age range too, so it'll grow with a family even if you get it for a kindergarten-aged child.

THe book categorizes children into 3 different "styles" and bases organizational strategies on the child's style. (It even has a
Tanya
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, 2012-books
Kids are not lazy, they are disorganized and were not born hard-wired to have study skills. Do listen to your child about what does not work for him or her and remember yelling and punishments do not teach skills. Keep it positive and keep calm.

The book helped to identify the child's learning style and gave some specific tips for organizing within that style as well as information about taking notes and test tips.

My daughter found this book helpful too and we have been implementing the chart wh
Kari
Aug 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some really great pointers, especially for a middle school child (having seen many of my students struggle with organization at that age). I'm implementing several ideas for the upcoming school year and hope they work.

I especially liked the author's viewpoint that some of these things are about spotting a child, much like a gymnast gets a spotter during a routine, while his or her brain continues to develop and mature. "Letting a child who has trouble completing a task 'sink' is about as fair an
Elizabeth
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Absolutely terrific book filled with insights in to the disorganized child. I've spent so much time trying to organize my son but never paid attention to what would work for him. Simple things like whether he is a visual / spatial / chronological organizer and what is going to work best for him. The right backpack can make all the difference ! We've put several things in place and are already noticing a huge difference. It also made me realize that I've been compensating for my organizational st ...more
Ruth
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
By "child", the author obviously meant middle school student. There is virtually nothing applicable to elementary age kids. The only thing I actually learned out of the book was the Cornell note taking method. Why aren't different methods of taking notes taught in sixth or seventh grade? I think knowing there are different methodologies to taking notes would help a lot of students. Not everyone learns the same way as their parents.
Carrie
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been sitting on my shelf for a while...until needed this week to share with a parent! It has some good information and strategies that we will both be trying to help the child. I like the stress they place on how the child is not 'trying to be bad'-they honestly can't help it and we need to figure out how to best teach them how to be organized.
Kandace
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
My child moved from Elementary school to Middle school this year and I wish would have read this beforehand! Great suggestions and it even narrows down your childs organizational style. I learned a lot from this book. We have put many of the ideas in it into practice, and they work! I am ready for next year now, so we don't have to start the year out with tears.
Dee
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clearly written for parents of older children, this book was nonetheless helpful for me and my daughters. I loved how each solution was sorted according to the child's personality.

Very fast read with practical advice that can be used Immediately. I'd recommend it to friends and family with the same issues.
Bethany
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had some good ideas, but nothing earth-shattering. The idea that everyone has a certain organizational "style" that should be coordinated with the correct backpack (no pockets, bright colors, or subdued!), the correct workspace (all supplies out, all supplies out away, matching supplies!) etc, felt a bit too teenybopper "whats your kissing style quiz" to me.
Beth A.
Dec 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book had some good ideas about how to get organized, but it neglected the real issue, how to get your child to stay organized.

I think this could be a good resource, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.
Lisa Gibson
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book presented a wonderful way to learn which organizational method will work for your child. It had tons of great, very useful, simple and affordable tips to hopefully make your child's school life easier. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone.
Jennifer Barber
This was a good book with practical suggestions for organizing children. Some of the suggestions were quite obvious, but the studying and organizing for school sections were very helpful. I've already put some of the ideas in place and things are improving already.
Anne-Marie Deitering
lightweight
Lillian Angelovic
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Very helpful for parents of kids who are naturally incapable of organizing themselves!
Erica
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it for my job (I work with special ed students who need help getting organized) I now recommend this book to all my parents and my colleagues.
Mary
Dec 01, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Sigh. Is the fact that I have misplaced this book an epic indicator of the problem or what?
Jane
Jun 04, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
THis is a consise gem of a book about how kids relate to their environment and when they struggle ( like I do) to organize their thinking...I am getting some great ideas..
Melodie Martini
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect

Some of these things we have already tried but all in all I learned a lot from this book. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone with children.
Fullfaun
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
kids and I took the quiz and found out which group we leans towards. I have already implemented some of the strategies this book recommends.
Janice
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
some good ideas to try. quick read.
Charlene
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asperger-s
Really great book with excellent ideas for different types of learners. Helpful for planning and understanding my sons frustration.
Zina
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book with very practical suggestions. Worth looking through if you have a child with executive functioning issues.
Caroline
and by 'child' they mean 'The Schwieberts'.
CHRIS
Feb 16, 2017
Stacey
Sep 02, 2014
Chelsea Smith
Jun 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Late, Lost, and Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning
  • Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential
  • The Available Parent: Radical Optimism for Raising Teens and Tweens
  • Conquering Chronic Disorganization
  • More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD
  • Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents
  • Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach
  • It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend: Helping the Child with Learning Disabilities Find Social Success
  • Learning Outside The Lines : Two Ivy League Students With Learning Disabilities And ADHD Give You The Tools For Academic Success and Educational Revolution
  • The Organized Student: Teaching Children the Skills for Success in School and Beyond
  • The Unofficial Narnia Cookbook: From Turkish Delight to Gooseberry Fool-Over 150 Recipes Inspired by The Chronicles of Narnia
  • How to Tutor Your Own Child: Boost Grades and Inspire a Lifelong Love of Learning--Without Paying for a Professional Tutor
  • Wrightslaw: Special Education Law
  • Developing Talent in Young People
  • Mathew Brady: Portraits of a Nation
  • Benjamin Britten: A Life for Music
  • Children's Voyage the Long Journey Home
  • What Does Everybody Else Know That I Don't?: Social Skills Help for Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder