Start by marking “There Is A Bird On Your Head!” as Want to Read:
There Is A Bird On Your Head!

There Is A Bird On Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie #4)

4.43  ·  Rating Details ·  8,685 Ratings  ·  681 Reviews
In There Is a Bird on Your Head!, Gerald discovers that there is something worse than a bird on your head--two birds on your head! Can Piggie help her best friend?
Published (first published July 31st 2007)

karen
this book misses a five-star rating because i dont like the art in it, even though i usually love his art. however, im glad to see a childrens book that recognizes the evil of birds, and how arrogant and cruel they can be. the title alone gives me chills...
Mischenko
Feb 24, 2017 Mischenko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Children just adore Elephant and Piggie. "There is a Bird on Your Head" is a personal favorite, but all Mo Willems books are wonderful. The illustrations are cute and the reading is extremely simple with short sentences in large bold font. Mo Willems is undeniably one of our favorite authors!

5*****
Donalyn
Dec 10, 2012 Donalyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-readers
I don't think you can truly appreciate the genius of this series until you read them with someone between 3-5 years old.
Steve Kemple
Sep 13, 2011 Steve Kemple rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astounding in its portrayal of modern existence, There Is a Bird on Your Head is unparallelled by any other work in the western canon of literature. Willems asks the question "What does it mean to be human?" and answers with singular definitiveness to the extent that the former problem need never be pondered again. In it's shadow, all other canonical works—even those of Milton and Shakespeare—are rendered insignificant by Willems' resonant masterpiece. There Is a Bird on Your Head is a rare wate ...more
Cathy
Cracks me up! He's the new Dr. Seuss. Not said lightly.
midnightfaerie
Jul 20, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Another book by one of our favorite authors, Mo Willems, and a Theodor Seuss Geisel Award winner as well. Given to the most distinguished American book for beginner readers, the award fits this book, and this author, well. Easy to read (probably a level 1 reader), it is lovable by both young and old alike. Even my 3 yr old twins can follow the story and get a kick out of the exasperated expressions on the characters faces and the fact that there's a bird on the elephant's head. Even though my 5 ...more
Amy Clinton
Oct 07, 2013 Amy Clinton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 642
This is a story about an Elephant who can not see all that is going on on his head. Two birds build a nest and lay eggs, which hatch, on top of his head.

This is a good book to teach repeition for early readers as well as refreshing counting in everyday situations.

I really like the enthusiasm this book shares through it's words. You can see when the Elephant is not happy and how when he asks for them to leave, and they do, he is so happy. (But the pig is not =) ).

The illustrations are simple, an
Diane
Oct 28, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For some inexplicable reason my son didn't want me to translate this book back into English, which I'd offered to do and wouldn't have been a stretch. At any rate, the text is not what makes these books so awesome - it's the pictures, which tell the story completely. A child need only have the story read to her once to be able to "read" it by themselves if they can't yet actually read. These simple line drawings are so expressive and fun to read!
Becki
Hands down the funniest one I have read. And the niece agrees.
Kate Petrocione
Jul 10, 2017 Kate Petrocione rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think what makes these so wonderful is that my coworker reads them to me and she's so funnnny.
Jean O'Shea
Oct 30, 2008 Jean O'Shea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lis565
There Is a Bird on Your Head! is a story of honesty, finding the silver lining in everything and asserting yourself. The story is told in conversation bubbles between two friends: Elephant and Piggie. This picture book won the ALA Geisel Award for 2008. The Geisel Award is given annually to “the author(s) and illustrator(s) of the most distinguished American book for beginning readers published in English in the United States”. http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/als...

This book caught me by surp
Caitlin
Sep 13, 2012 Caitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Citation: There is a Bird on Your Head! By Mo Willems. (Hyperion, 2007). 57 p. Controlled vocabulary.

Summary: This book is part of the Elephant & Piggie series. Elephant and Piggie are best friends who share advice when Elephant is saddled with the problem of a family of birds nesting on his head. Through humorous dialogue, readers follow the friends as they come up with a way to relieve Elephant of the bird problem.

Critique: a) In each book in this series, Willems uses a cartoon-style text,
Johnathan rodrigues
It a wonderful book I love the art I love how they made the book it wonderful
Connie
Apr 25, 2010 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy Readers are kinda a pain to deal with. You want to hold your kid's attention naturally (they won't want to read a boring book, and who can blame them?) while teaching them something, and you want them to want to read the book again. Reading a book more than once increases their understanding. (Plus, you probably don't have enough cash to buy enough books for your kid to read them each one time only.)

This is a tough sell. Kids don't want to read "books" that are nothing but thinly done excus
Oct 15, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There Is a Bird on Your Head

1-Genre: Controlled Vocabulary

2-This is the story of two best friends Gerald and Piggie. Gerald cannot seem to shake away a bird that has made a home on his head. He leans to his best friend Piggie for help.

3-(a) The illustrations ability to depict mood
(b) Throughout this book there are simple sentences that each character says. The author/illustrator does a great job depicting the character meaning behind those sentences through the illustrations.
(c) For instance o
Heidi-Marie
"They're in love!" Ha ha ha ha ha!! Very nice. Just another amazing E&P.

Must. Own. All.

2/29/12 I was so in love with reading an E&P in storytime (and it turning out so well) that I was very happy when the second group said they'd love to read another and that we had the time for it. I had really wanted to try this one out. It worked out fabulously. One mom and daughter loved seeing the birds hatching and all. So fun. I must put in more E&P in storytimes. Wonderful to know their leng
Ashley Adams
Nov 05, 2012 Ashley Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. Picture Book- Controlled Vocabulary
2. This is a cute tale about Elephant and Piggie, and what enfolds when a pair of birds land on Gerald's head, and they hatch eggs!
3. Critique:
a. The most important component of this story that really stands out is the author's unique style. Willems uses bubble dialogues to narrate the story, which really builds the characters of Elephant and Piggie.
b.This hilarious book uses a specific style to create a funny story with simple, yet poignant text. Similar
Heather
I will just give a generic review of this series.....We love them. They are so dang funny. It amazes me that with just a few pen strokes Willems can convey so many different emotions. The illustrations are hilarious and the story line is always entertaining. They are great books for reading out loud in dramatic ways. They're also great for kids wanting something to read on their own, or with a parent. Sometimes I'll read the Pig part (because I'm a girl) and my boys will read the Elephant part ( ...more
Macy
Title: There Is a Bird on Your Head
Author: Mo Willems
Illustrator: Mo Willems
Genre: Early Reader
Theme(s): Friendship, cooperativeness, using your voice
Opening line/sentence:
Piggy! Is something on my head?
Brief Book Summary:
This Early Reader story is an Elephant & Piggie book about a bird who lands on Elephant’s head. The bird then meets another bird and they fall in love on Elephant’s head. Then, the two love birds begin to make a nest on Elephant's head and eventually lay three eggs on Eleph
Josephine
Dear Mo Willems,
Thank you so much for creating the funniest early reader books ever! I love hearing my daughter read them to me. But better than that, these Elephant and Piggie books, along with David Milgrims Otto books, are what made my daughter into a reader! These are the books that we check out from the library and she brings to me wanting to read them to me over and over again. And I don't get bored of hearing them. They make me giggle every time.
Sincerely,
Josie
Lain
Oct 26, 2009 Lain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-kids
I'm pretty picky about children's books. I want great illustrations, a unique (hopefully humorous!) storyline, and kid-friendly text. Mo Willems delivers again and again! We all were thrilled to dicover the Elephant and Piggie series. Great fun for emerging readers and listeners alike.
Katische Haberfield
What can I say. Hilarious. Again Angus was crying with laughter. Mo Willems just has a way that really really tickles his funny bones.
Jeanine
Aug 19, 2010 Jeanine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
According to Claudia he is her favorite writer oh and because of him she loves to read, not because mommy brought home these amazing books, but I'm not bitter.
Amanda Lynch
Sep 12, 2015 Amanda Lynch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was our first Elephant and Piggie book, and it is an easy read. My five year old loves to read it out loud to all of us. Gerald and Piggie never get old.
Janyre Tromp
Apr 22, 2015 Janyre Tromp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son loves this series. Even my daughter, who's in 4th grade, laughs at these.
Dolly
Feb 14, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a classic Mo Willems kind of story. Exaggerated dialogue filled with various inflections of emotion that make a simple situation absolutely hilarious. Our girls loved this book.
Nicole
May 02, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LUV the Piggy and Elephant series!
Laura McLoughlin
One of my favorite Elephant and Piggie books.
Jasmine
Mo Willams is a genius and must be protected.
Ann M. Noser
Nov 29, 2016 Ann M. Noser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous, childrens, funny, fun
These books are the best! I've enjoyed every single one. My eight year old daughter reads them aloud to me in a very animated fashion!
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4)
  • One Boy
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read)
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends (A Mouse and Mole Story)
  • Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • A Splendid Friend, Indeed
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Chloe and the Lion
  • Not a Stick
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Z Is for Moose
  • Move Over, Rover!
  • Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
  • Little Hoot
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)
  • I am Going! (Elephant and Piggie, #11)