Start by marking “Raising Great Kids: A Comprehensive Guide to Parenting with Grace and Truth” as Want to Read:
Raising Great Kids: A Comprehensive Guide to Parenting with Grace and Truth

Raising Great Kids: A Comprehensive Guide to Parenting with Grace and Truth

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  186 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In approaching parenting from both a developmental and spiritual direction, the authors show how biblical character includes competent functioning in areas such as relationship skills, tasks, ownership, responsibility and follow through, self-control, perseverance, delay of gratification, ability to lose and grieve, and the ability to forgive.
Published September 1st 2009 by Zondervan (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Great Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Great Kids

Susan
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this and then read it again while taking notes. I don't have kids yet, so I don't really know how helpful this book is, but I appreciate learning that your job as a parent is to instill character in your child.
Erin Fowler
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Read! Practical and useful advice for raising children.
Thomas
Happily, this is not an "8 easy steps to parental success" (and too bad if they don't work for you!) sort of a book, even if the title might create that sort of expectation. Rather, it is a book that seeks to provide a basic horizon or framework for understanding parenting: What is it that parents hope to do? What are (ought to be) some of the basic goals they aim for? What does a child need? What are some of the traits parents hope to nurture and develop in their children? What are some challen ...more
Diane
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Horrible, cheesy title:fantastic content. I'm writing this review probably 11 years after reading the book and my kids are now 16, 18 and 21. The formula Henry uses to help readers understand the nature of discipline and building character is grace + truth / time. (grace plus truth over time) It's the TIME piece that most folks will have to dig deep and lean into in order to allow their kids the space to do the the things required for growing up. At each each phase there are challenges. But now ...more
Chris McGrath
This is my favorite parenting book so far. It provides a solid and comprehensive overall philosophy for parenting that I want to develop and model. It is not so much a how-to book like the Boundaries books are, but an explanation of the principles of good parenting.

Specifically, that the purpose is not to control children or have them be perfect, but to teach them how to develop character so they can skillfully manage their own lives when the time comes. I wish every parent would read this book
Christy
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half was a bit basic and theory based but still had good principles. It got much more interesting with "nuts and bolts" discussion later on. A good resource to revisit during my kids' later stages of development.
Brenda Wharton
Very basic parenting book on how to patent with love and grace. Some good principals, but I was looking for more concrete examples at different ages and also on parenting boys or strong willed children
Laurel
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of information, but good information. Parenting with grace & truth is key to teaching several concepts & helping your kids grow up to be productive & responsible adults. Will keep as a reference and read again.
Christine
This book has been long-overdue from our local library. (Apologies if any local friends wanted to read it, and couldn't find it. I have it. Oops.) :)
R.
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
helpful book on setting boundries with your children
Tracie Shoup
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every parent
Wonderful book - one of my favorite parenting books.
Christine
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful parenting book for anyone. I'm not Christian, but i think the wisdom contained in this book will help any parent.
Tonya
Oct 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-skills
This should be a *must* in every parent's library.
Kerri Thorn
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful - mostly lays a theoretical framework, with some practical tips thrown in. Probably a good one to read every couple of years in my parenting journey...
Mark Manderson
Key take aways are:
Normalize Failure.
Connect before Confronting.
Keri Amorosa
for a "how-to-parenting" book, this was very easy to read. There were some really good points, but overall I would have liked more specifics and less generalizations.
Stephen Boutry
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
best book on parenting ever.
Pam Timmons
Aug 26, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • How Children Raise Parents: The Art of Listening to Your Family
  • Hide or Seek
  • Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should Be Your Church's #1 Priority
  • Parenting Today's Adolescent: Helping Your Child Avoid the Traps of the Preteen and Teen Years
  • Making Children Mind without Losing Yours
  • Parenting is Heart Work
  • Parenting with Grace: Catholic Parent's Guide to Raising Almost Perfect Kids
  • The Safest Place on Earth: Where People Connect and Are Forever Changed
  • The Blessing
  • MotherStyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
  • Psychology, Theology, and Spirituality in Christian Counseling
  • For Parents Only: Getting Inside the Head of Your Kid
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • And Then I Had Kids: Encouragement for Mothers of Young Children
  • Your Child's Strengths: Discover Them, Develop Them, Use Them
  • A Mothers Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul
  • The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children
  • Sacred Parenting: How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls
Dr. Cloud has written or co-written twenty-five books, including the two million-seller Boundaries. His most recent books are Boundaries for Leaders and Necessary Endings. He has earned three Gold Medallion awards, and was awarded the distinguished Retailers Choice award for God Will Make A Way.

As president of Cloud-Townsend Resources, Dr. Cloud has produced and conducted hundreds of public semina
More about Henry Cloud...