Start by marking “Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)

Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  13,172 Ratings  ·  1,363 Reviews
A man controlled by his desires . . .

Mass Market Paperback, 382 pages
Published August 1st 2010 by Grand Central Publishing

Ridley
May 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'll probably never win another book through Goodreads' First Reads again with this review. What an anachronistic, ungrammatical, unfinished book that was.

The book opens with the widow Temperance Dews wending her way through the dank and dangerous streets of St. Giles, clutching a loaded pistol. She’s on her way back to the foundling home she runs with her younger brother, returning with her maidservant and an infant they pried from the arms of a dead young mother. Along the way, she overhears
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Well That Was Yummy Good!

I had no idea was walking into an erotic, slightly gory, good deeds type of book but I certainly did.

Temperance Dews (widower) and her brother Winter Makepeace <---(his name is freaking Winter, my favorite time of the year!) run the Home for Unfortunate Infants and Foundling Children. They both took it over after their father died but now they are in dire straits as one of their benefactors died and didn't leave them any money in his will. Poor Winter is working hims
Shawna
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of dark, emotional, steamy historical romances & tortured gamma heroes
Recommended to Shawna by: Rane Aria
5 stars – Historical Romance

Wow! This is the first book I’ve read by popular author Elizabeth Hoyt, and I certainly understand now why she’s so highly rated. Wicked Intentions, the first book in her new Maiden Lane series, is a dark, gritty, eerie, emotional, unique, and erotic murder mystery and romance with a bold, honest social commentary of class differences, poverty, and the rough, violent world of St. Giles in London.

The main characters, widowed child foundling home caregiver Temperance D
Alp
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what took me so long to get around to reading this book! I'm mentally kicking myself now!

My first read by Elizabeth Hoyt, Wicked Intentions, totally took me by surprise and utterly exceeded my expectations. I really did enjoy it. Thank you my lovely friend, Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠ , for recommending this book to me.

I’ve rarely found Historical Romance novel with such intensity like this one. The story itself was great, filled with heat, darkness, drama, and excitement.
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

I put off starting this series for so long that I almost forgot about it. Until this afternoon when I decided to give the
Jilly
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, a silver-haired hero? My oh my! As he joins my book boyfriend list, Caire only has a couple of competitors: Jem from Infernal Devices, and Rowan from the Throne of Glass series.

So, we have the hottie, Caire, who is a rich tortured soul with "unusual tastes" in the bedroom. Familiar? Maybe, but Christian Grey was written AFTER this book, so you tell me who the copycat is.

men... they just don't get it! Am I right?

So, ye old Christian Grey has a mistress who was murdered and he wants to find he
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
What an exciting story! I loved Ms. Hoyt's Princes Trilogy, but for whatever reason kept putting off reading the Maiden Lane series til book 1 appeared on Netgalley...and now I'm hooked! I love this world she's created - at times harsh and shadowed by the stark contrasts of the haves and have nots - and the amazing characters who live there. I was kept guessing, right to the end, who the killer was in this tragic murder mystery. Great plot, complex people... and definitely not your typical 'tale ...more
Ally
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holy He!!, what took me so long

First of all, this book is not for the weak in the knees when it comes to, uh, shall we say, knocking boots in its various forms. This book, well, it goes where you do NOT expect it to go. There, enough about that. Ok, one more thing, HOT. Done.

Apparently, my catnip involves seriously tortured heroes. I never thought it did. In fact, most of em get on my last nerve. I may need to further examine this, but heroes like those created and tortured by the likes of Kerr
Rane
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing

Elizabeth Hoyt is one of THE authors, whose works I always look forward to reading, from her first novel, I’ve been hooked. Sadly, after her last novel, which I found to be a big disappointment, I still looked forward to her newest novel and series. And after reading Wicked Intentions, all thoughts of doubt were quickly forgotten, as this book reeled me in and left me wanting more!

In a time of London’s Gin Craze, St.Giles is the slums where evil walks the street day and night and where few hop
Robin (Bridge Four)
I love broken heroes they do something to me. They can be the biggest jerks even and I’ll accept it because I just what them to be fixed. Lord Caire is pretty broken and so I loved him immediately. Temperance was pretty likeable and while I mis-guessed what her devastating secret was but I got who she was and why it was such a huge part of her identity.

Temperance runs a home for orphaned or unwanted children and she has helped extensively with it since the death of her husband. It is in dire str
Baba
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals
FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

Lazarus said to Temperance:
Because you are kind but not soft. Because when you touch me, the pain is bittersweet. Because you cradle a desperate secret to your bosom, like a viper in your arms, and don't let go of it even as it gnaws upon your very flesh. I want to pry that viper from your arms. To suckle upon your torn and bloody flesh. To take your pain within myself and make it mine."

4.5 stars.

LONDON 1737
Widow Temperance Dews is rather surprised to find a visitor at her
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔

“Because,” he murmured, “you draw me. Because you are kind but not soft. Because when you touch me, the pain is bittersweet. Because you cradle a desperate secret to your bosom, like a viper in your arms, and don’t let go of it even as it gnaws upon your very flesh. I want to pry that viper from your arms. To suckle upon your torn and bloody flesh. To take your pain within myself and make it mine.”

This was an enjoyable historical romance. I read Duke of Sin first and gave it five stars. So I was
Fani *loves angst*
Juliana Philippa
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All romance readers, though be aware it's more sensual than some mainstream ones
Recommended to Juliana Philippa by: My Goodreads friends
To my surprise, it ended up being one of my favorite romances (5 stars)

I have never before read an Elizabeth Hoyt book and that was mostly because after reading reviews about her books, I got the sense they were probably a little too wild with not enough actual story/substance for me. I am so glad I decided to finally test my theory and that I started with this one - I checked it out of the library but am definitely buying my own copy, because I know this will be a reread many, many times over!
Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
Oh Lazarus. You can whisper naughty things in my ear any day.

He's just my type of man - he has trouble with emotions and can't stand being touched! Just what I look for. At first glance he comes across as a little bit, okay, a lot, sociopathic. But unlike sociopaths, he actually has emotions, he's just never had any reason to let his guard down enough to share them with anyone, until Temperance.

Urgh, Temperance. I really could have done without her slut shaming herself the entire way through th
Mo
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this was quite a hot little number! Enjoyed it.

Infamous for his wild, sensual needs, Lazarus Huntington, Lord Caire, is searching for a savage killer in St. Giles, London's most notorious slum. Widowed Temperance Dews knows St. Giles like the back of her hand-she's spent a lifetime caring for its inhabitants at the foundling home her family established. Now that home is at risk . . .

A WOMAN HAUNTED BY HER PAST . . .

"I'd walk through fire for you."

Just pretend this guy has silver
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
What a delicious read <3 And Lazarus with his silver hair *swooons*
I think the book slump has been finally defeated!!!
Lonna | FLYLēF
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge
FLYLēF Book Reviews

Original Post: Wicked Intentions at FLYLēF (www.flylef.com) with 3.5 of 5

I’M HAPPILY NURSING a book hangover.

Wicked Intentions, by Elizabeth Hoyt, is a tempestuous love story with a generous measure of danger. Ms. Hoyt’s ability to fuse vastly amusing characters with sensuous and mature love scenes (BLUSHING), make this historical romance worthy of a sleepless night.

Temperance Dews and Lazarus Huntington are irresistibly flawed. He can be a bit of a brute and she can be a bit of a martyr, neit
♥Rachel♥
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars.

Lazarus Huntington, Lord Caire, and Temperance Dews are both on a mission. Lazarus is searching for a violet killer in St. Giles, but he needs someone with knowledge of the town and connections to get the residents to talk. Temperance Dews is just the lady and being that she needs another benefactor for the foundling home she and her brother, Winter, run he’s in a position to strike a deal. If Temperance escorts him about St. Giles, he’ll introduce her to society to obtain another ben
Jen
I thoroughly enjoyed my reread, and I still loved this book as much as I loved it before!! Glad my tastes haven't changed all that much, and I am very eager to keep going on this series...Onto my reread of book two now!!!
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1700s, historical, series
The book that started it all.

"I rarely feel anything. But like the legless man, I'm unaccountably fascinated by those who can dance."

Our hero Lazarus started off the darkly mysterious, darkly intriguing, and darkly sexy man often found in romance. What distances him and makes him better than a lot was his layered personality of cool waters run deep and vulnerable and passionate soul. He was perfectly matched with our heroine Temperance with her mixture of kind spirit and desirous heart. As Laz
Karen
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS

Really enjoyed this one! Don't have time for a full review right now. And it will be almost impossible to find characters to cast... silver hair and all that. I loved the hero, and the heroine both. And I'm anxious to get started on the next book it the series. A very sexy little historical indeed! Loved it.
Lisa Kay
It’s 1737 London, in the dark alleyways of St. Giles, where we first meet Temperance. She runs a foundling home and, with her maidservant, Nell, is scurrying home with a baby she just retrieved from a dead girl’s arms. She sees the nefarious Lord Caire bent over a man whom he has obviously just clubbed with his walking stick. This night scene drew me into those dangerous alleyways and into the story with the desire to learn more about this dark Lord, just like Temperance. What is he doing there? ...more
♥Sharon♥
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Oh my my! Lazarus Huntington, Lord Caire you dirty little devil and Temperance Dews you are quite the seductress. What a fabulously sexy story these two provided for. I LOVED every minute, every detail, every twinge of anxiety and every moment of mercy, tenderness and desire.

And not only did we get the story of Lord Caire and Temperance, this author gives us the moments in the lives of two others; King Lockedheart and his maid Meg. Their story was akin to Caire and Temperance’s. It was simpler
Aisling Zena

This was in one word, delightful! And I don't understand how on earth it's not rated higher.

*Review later. Maybe..

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I adore Elizabeth Hoyt's books and WICKED INTENTIONS, with its slightly darker tone, is no exception. The first book in her 'Maiden Lane' series, it is a masterful blend of romance, passion and suspense, which will keep you enthralled.

Widowed Temperance Dews and her brother, Winter, run a Foundling Home in Maiden Lane, St Giles, a poverty stricken area of London, but things are looking very bleak. Their benefactor has recently died, leaving no provision for the home in his will and now they are
Vivian
May 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fr, ng, romance-hist
I feel like a fish out of time.

I get where this book wanted to go: sexual exploration in a Georgian period with gritty elements, but it really didn't work for me. Things didn't make sense, specially character actions and motivations.

Temperance Dews is a widow and foundling house mistress with her brother Winter Makepeace. They do the Lord's work for the most vulnerable forgotten. Her character starts off very admirable and then swerves off, veering wildly and in the end makes no sense at all.

L
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Second Reading: I liked this better the second time around. I still dislike Temperance's feelings of being a giant slut (she's not), but I think it's more guilt over her dead husband. The whore calling, only by her, was annoying, but it was less annoying on the reread since I knew it was going to be there and I could skim/skip it. I enjoyed the book otherwise and Lord Caire is always fun as the mysterious and damaged hero. His psychosomatic touch = pain condition was quite interesting. I'm still ...more
Sissy's Romance Book Review
I received an eARC, from NetGalley and the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
'Wicked Intentions' by Elizabeth Hoyt is book one in the "Maiden Lane". This is the story of Lazarus Huntington, Lord Caire and Temperance Dews.
Temperance is a widow and is helping her brother run a Foundling Home. Lord Caire is trying to find the killer of his mistress. Lord Caire and Temperance come to an agreement where she helps him with his search for the killer and he will help her a beneficiary / fundi
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 2 6 Mar 03, 2017 02:30PM
Nook books: December 2, 2016 1 2 Dec 02, 2016 06:53PM
Elizabeth Hoyt Fans: Wicked Intentions (Book 1) 14 22 May 06, 2016 02:27PM
Elizabeth Hoyt Fans: Marys and Josephs 10 12 Apr 26, 2016 06:22AM
Elizabeth Hoyt Fans: The (Iconic tbh) Peephole Scene 7 12 Apr 14, 2016 08:17PM
  • Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Three Nights with a Scoundrel (Stud Club, #3)
  • Sinful (Addicted #2)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • Wicked Becomes You
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)
  • Last Night's Scandal (Carsington Brothers #5)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with three untrained dogs and one long-suffering husband.
More about Elizabeth Hoyt

Maiden Lane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
  • Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • To Dream (The Broken Roads #4)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ghouls Rush In (Peyton Clark, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Calico Palace: A Novel (Open Road)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Seeing Red
    $9.99 $2.99
  • To Trust (The Broken Roads #1)
  • A Falling Star
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Just Grace (Oklahoma Land Rush, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
  • Nailed (Worked Up, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Montana Cherries (Montana Wildes, #1)
  • The Lake House
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Velvet (The Promised Land #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fated (Servants of Fate, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Emma's Folly (Oklahoma Land Rush, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Redemption (The Love's Valley #4)
  • In the Cards
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tilly (The Drifters & Dreamers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Trouble (St. James, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Fire (Dragonfury, #1)
  • Absolution
    $3.99 $1.99
  • My Dearest Love (Longing for Home)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Dying to Tell (Slaughter Creek, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Choices (The Love's Valley #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Surrender (Dragonfury, #6)
  • Secrets in Summer: A Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Walkin' on Clouds (Angels & Outlaws, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Best Kind of Broken (Finding Fate, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unbreak My Heart (Fostering Love #1)
  • OBSESSION
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Chances (The Love's Valley #3)
  • Nearlyweds
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Sweet Resolve (Lucky, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Promises (The Love's Valley #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
“There's something about her," Caire said in a low voice. "She cares for everyone about her, yet neglects herself. I want to be the one who cares for her.” 68 likes
“Every word you have ever uttered, is engraved upon my heart.” 50 likes