Start by marking “Toot & Puddle: A Present for Toot” as Want to Read:
Toot & Puddle: A Present for Toot

Toot & Puddle: A Present for Toot (Toot & Puddle )

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  299 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Exquisite watercolors enhance this charming tale of two friends who are different in many ways yet alike in their devotion to each other.
Published September 1st 1998 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Toot & Puddle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toot & Puddle

May 31, 2014 rated it liked it

Okay, first things first. My little boy loves these books. He reads a lot with his mom, but lately the Toot and Puddle books are the ones he's been talk about.

In some ways, that's the only review that matters.

That said, there's some weird shit going on here....

The book's two main characters, as you might have guessed, are Toot and Puddle. They're two pigs that are best friends.

That's not the problem.

In this story, Puddle is trying to figure out what to get his friend for his birthday.

Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is my favourite edition. It's about animals: wild, domestic and pets. What animal(s) will you get if your parents decide to do so. Will you choose exotic ones which are more expensive or will you go to your local shelter home. How will you take care of your pet and do you know that even if you are its owner, that doesn’t mean you can hurt this animal, because it as well feels and it will bite you back in defence if you harm it. Connection with animals is one of the best relationships in lif ...more
Kiah Ballard
Great book about friendship. Shows the thoughtfulness that can be showed towards friends. I would use this book to promote friendship among the children in my class. We would have a discussion on some of the nice ways we can treat friends.
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Trying to find just the right gift for just the right person is always a task, but not when they are your best friend in the whole world. That's Toot and Puddle all over again. This is such a lovely book. It's worth the illustrations alone.
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
These little books have the cutest illustrations! I still own my copy, and I flip through it every once in a while.
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm sure you already know whether or not you want to read this series, if in fact you haven't already. I'll just add the one thought that I can't keep away from my head. Hobbie sure is whimsical, and I never know whether the pigs' outfits are going to cover their 'boy parts' or reveal that they don't have any.
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
In Toot & Puddle: A Present of Toot our piglet hero's are as cute and charming as ever, making for a gentle bedtime story.
Luisa Knight
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun book to show children that putting a little extra thought into someone's birthday present not only gives the recipient great pleasure, but the giver too!

Ages 4+

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Rosa Cline
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, birthday
This was an adorable 'thinking of others' book! Toot and Puddle are the best of friends. And when Toot's birthday comes up Puddle is beside himself trying to think of the perfect gift for him. He knows Toot has been around the world so buying something unique for him is very hard. But he loves him and wants the best for him... his gift is a very precious one!
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Who among us hasn't thought and thought about what to give someone special for his birthday? Puddle the pig has that problem. His friend Toot is very special, and he wants to find just the right birthday gift. The pictures are sweet and convey the excitement and confusion of trying to find the perfect gift. I will have to read more of the Toot & Puddle books.
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pugh-grades-k-5
"Toot and Puddle: A Present for Toot" is a great series book to introduce to students in early elementary (K-2). The story has a good hearted feel as Puddle searches high and low for the perfect gift for his best friend Toot.
This book is a great read aloud to use in a mini-lesson in identifying feeling words in text in alignment with Common Core State Standards for first grade reading.
Brianna Preston
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Holly Hobbie's watercolor illustrations of Toot and Puddle always delight. Puddle is the quieter of the two friends, but the underlying strength behind Toot's ability to be adventuresome. It's Toot's birthday, and Puddle wants to find the perfect present. I always enjoy a Toot and Puddle book, and so do my children.
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
You have to love a book that includes a birdwatcher and identifies a wild bird (nuthatch). And the struggle over a present. Buying presents can be awful hard, especially when you want it to be meaningful. And Puddle managed to avoid the pitfall of buying something he might like when it's supposed to be a present for Toot. His decision his perfect!
Kristine Hansen
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh my...this is the best yet. The EXPRESSIONS! The artwork alone is so utterly charming and beautiful that it's worth opening up these books. But then you take all of this that extra step and read the's perfect. Absolutely perfect!
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Another character joins Toot and Puddle in this run-up to a birthday celebration. Hobbie's ability to shape the personalities of her characters, add in whimsey and pathos, and create stunning environments for them to walk through make his and her other books so pleasurable to read and experience.
Mikala Hill
Aug 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: karterbooks
I love these books! The illustrations are so beautiful...sometimes they break my heart!
Brendan Howard
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-zahara
There are a lot of other books in the series, but I didn't kind coming into things in the middle. Charming, friendly and weird.
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
These books are super cute and I enjoy how considerate they are of one another.
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable story about friendship and gorgeous watercolor paintings
Angela Wynne
Nov 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes well illustratrated children's books
Liked this one, but the illustrations are not as good as the first Toot and Puddle. Toot and Puddle look a little too skinny.
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
toot and puddle books are so great! Even my mom likes them!
Oct 11, 2009
  • Wonder Horse: The True Story of the World's Smartest Horse
  • 1 2 3: A Child's First Counting Book
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Papa's Day Surprise
  • Ginger and Petunia
  • Where Is Home, Little Pip?
  • George Shrinks
  • Lyle and the Birthday Party
  • Franklin Has a Sleepover
  • Pinduli
  • Ruby In Her Own Time
  • How Many Kisses Do You Want Tonight?
  • Mop Top
  • Roar of a Snore
  • Winnie The Pooh: And The House At Pooh Corner (The Complete Collection Of Stories)
Birthed with the name of Denise Holly Ulinskas in 1944, Holly Hobbie first sold her distinctive artwork of the little cat-loving girl who carries herself in a rag dress and giant bonnet. It wasn’t until she married Douglas Hobbie in 1964 when she named her originally nameless character after her.
When the first images of the rag-clothed little girl came to the public’s consciousness, the character
More about Holly Hobbie...

Toot & Puddle (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Toot & Puddle (Toot and Puddle)
  • Toot & Puddle: You Are My Sunshine
  • Toot & Puddle: Puddle's ABC
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Toot & Puddle: Top of the World