Start by marking “The Snodgrass Conspiracy” as Want to Read:
The Snodgrass Conspiracy

The Snodgrass Conspiracy (The Lost Colony #1)

2.69  ·  Rating details ·  116 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

Set in nineteenth-century America, The Lost Colony takes place on a mysterious island unknown to the rest of the world. No one knows it exists except its citizens, a colorful and outrageous band of capitalists, inventors, hucksters, and freemen. They jealously guard the island's fantastic wealth from the prying fingers of the outside world, even as they attempt to conceal
Published May 2nd 2006 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about The Snodgrass Conspiracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snodgrass Conspiracy

Linda
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
The book got a point bump for the art-I really have no idea what was going on with the story and I'm not sure I care enough to look for the next volumes to find out.
Lars Guthrie
Oct 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Interesting satirical graphic novel about tawdry and shameful aspects of American roots that maybe tries a little too hard.
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
The Lost Colony: The Snodgrass Conspiracy didn't grab me at first. I was so busy trying to figure out when the story took place and why a guy called another a "dude," that I was a little confused. I know that people didn't call other "dude" in the 1800's. But as the story progressed, I was finally able to put my worries aside and enjoy this tale of a strange nineteenth century island that isn't on the map.

The island is chocked full of interesting characters that you will both like and dislike.
Heather
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it
I bought this book on a whim recently because it was raining and the book store I was trapped in had it on super-sale. Also, the topic seemed right up my alley (American history and such). After reading it I am...confused. Maybe I need to see where this first book fits in with the rest of the series? Maybe I don't read enough graphic novel-type things to have the proper context for judging these kinds of things? Well, I remain intrigued at the very least, though not enough to look for the other ...more
mika
May 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
this is a very interesting project - hard to tell what exactly is going on just by reading vol. 1. some interesting racialized figures, including a oaxacan mad scientist posing as a chinky chinaman. the landscape is very virginia/carolinas (?) - sometimes the art is hard to follow, despite (or maybe because of) popping color.
Stephen Theaker
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
An odd little book, set on the peculiar island home of some peculiar people, in 19th century America. My American history isn't very good, but I think it's an alternative US, since slavery is still legal. I can't say I enjoyed it all that much - the characters were interesting, but the story's told mainly via a series of close-up shots of their heads, which becomes a bit wearing after a while.
Myles
Aug 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book...19th century America before slavery ended, a magical secret island, 'colorful' characters, blah blah blah - I just reread this and nothing's made an impression. Which is a shame because I really like the style of the book, the art, the lettering, etc. Maybe Book Two makes more sense.
Kate
Apr 22, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphicnovels
Strange little graphic novel...the art was not to my liking, nor the font of the text. Lots of bold black lines that I found hurt my eyes. The story is much too wacky and convoluted for me to find a theme.
Josie Crimp
I wanted to like this because it's so imaginative, but I found the plot hard to follow, and too many of the characters felt like racist stereotypes. They're probably not intended that way, and it's probably my inability to "read" the images, but it put me off reading any other books in this series.
Jason
While I loved the artwork and 1 of the characters in this book it wasn't something that left an impression on me. It felt scattered, unorganized and lacked in depth of character progression.
David Schwan
Aug 23, 2010 rated it liked it
A short graphic novel. I love the graphics! The story does not become apparent until maybe half way through the book. The Chinese alchemist Dr. Wong is always mixing his potions. Fun read.
Brandy
Sep 07, 2009 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: comics, 2009
Really liked the art, but by the halfway point I still couldn't figure out the story and gave up. Alas.
Marissa
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I honestly don't know why I didn't give it one star...It was so hard to follow and I had no idea what the point of anything was. I didn't enjoy it at all and won't be picking up any of the others.
alissa
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
So cute! I bought this one for Ian for his birthday. Just enough racist characters to make the cuteness bearable.
Jason
Oct 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
Hard to follow. Quite colorful art.
Cali
Er... Slightly mind boggling.
Sue
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
I had a very difficult time following this one. Seemed a little like POGO.
Holly
Oct 04, 2015
Lloyd Ash Pyne
Feb 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Tales of the Wild East (Klezmer #1)
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Journey Into Mohawk Country
  • Lewis & Clark
  • Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity
  • Second Thoughts
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • A.L.I.E.E.E.N.: Archives of Lost Issues and Earthly Editions of Extraterrestrial Novelties
  • Science Comics: Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean
  • Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula
  • Genius
  • Nat Turner
  • William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream

The Lost Colony (3 books)
  • The Lost Colony, Book Two: The Red Menace
  • The Lost Colony, Book Three: Last Rights (v. 3)