Start by marking “The Lost Colony of Roanoke” as Want to Read:
The Lost Colony of Roanoke

The Lost Colony of Roanoke

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The Lost Colony of Roanoke is one of the most puzzling mysteries in America's history. In 1587, 115 colonists sailed to the new world, eager to build the brand new Cittie of Raleigh, only to disappear practically without a trace. Where did they go? What could have possibly happened? Who better to collect and share the clues than Jean Fritz and Hudson Talbott?

The creators o
Published May 24th 2004 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Colony of Roanoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Colony of Roanoke

Stefanie
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Funny and informative. This is one of my favorite mysteries.
Ashley Schiess
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Lost Colony of Roanoke is a great book! I enjoyed reading it because the author presents the information in an interesting way, so that you get information but do not feel like you are reading an article or a textbook. It is an easy read and is not dry at all, and I believe students would be captivated by the mystery that is the lost colony! This is a great book to hook students that may not like history because of how it is written and with the pictures and diagrams that help the reader hav ...more
lprater
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Part of literature unit:

One hundred and fifty people missing, as if they disappeared into thin air, the country of England wondered what happened to this group of colonists. The lost colony of Roanoke is a true mystery from history, with only a few clues to go by, including the letters CRO carved into a tree; historians for decades have wondered what became of these people. This book provides a lot of important background information for the reader as to how and why the area of Roanoke had been
Patricia
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been fascinated by the lost colony of Roanoke ever since I was a young schoolgirl. This book for older elementary-aged children, by Jean Fritz, goes into quite a lot of detail about the four expeditions to Roanoke Island backed by Sir Walter Raleigh, the relationships (good and bad) between the English and the natives, and the chance meeting with Sir Francis Drake's fleet. The book also explores the clues found much later to explain what happened to the fourteen families who went to coloniz ...more
Rebecca Reid
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed The Lost Colony of Roanoke by Jean Fritz. Fritz has a way of making history come alive. Her writing is geared for upper elementary school students or middle school students, and her book subsequently provides an increasing amount of detail about the colony’s purpose and possible reasons for its disappearance. Fritz’s book is lavishly illustrated by Hudson Talbott, and the beautiful illustrations make it a lovely book for pondering over.

The author does not tell exactly what happened to
Emily
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Easily 5 out of 5 stars for me. I've always been fascinated with histories mysteries and Roanoke is no exception. I will read any book on the subject whether it be for kids or adults. I loved this one. It was easy to read, the illustrations were absolutely gorgeous, and it was informative! I can't think of a better review than that besides please read this! It won't take but a bit of your time because it's so short and it will be totally worth it, I promise.
Carolyn
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well written and nicely illustrated. Yes, it's a children's book, yet I'm an elder adult and thoroughly enjoyed this story of the mystery at Roanoke. I plan to keep this one in mind as a gift for 5-7th graders (and their grandparents). Truly a joy when history is presented in such a lively fashion.
JoDean
Nov 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed remembering about this puzzling spot in history. Just what happened to the colony of Roanoke? Interesting facts and theories.
I admit that I am partial to Jean Fritz. I like how she writes and makes history and it's people come alive for the reader. There is good reason that she is considered one of the top biographers writing for children today.
Kami Huff
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
*Biographical Book* This is a story about the first colony attempted on the America's by England. After many attempts, the colony is abandoned. The book even ventures into why it may have happened, and who could be to blame. I really like how different anecdotes about the characters (like King James did not like smoking) that taught me things I did not know before.
Ann
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another well-written nonfiction brings readers into the puzzle of an historical event. Talbott’s art and Fritz’s storytelling tell the stories and theories about Roanoke and lets us know that about some things, “we will just have to wonder.”
Caroline
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
This is one part of American history that has always fascinated me. The mystery around the disappearance of the colonists at Roanoke is cleverly told and includes great illustrations. This is a book that could easily get a student more interested in history.
Sarahjeanne
Biography: The book describes the characters and story of the finding and settling of the Roanoke colony in an early America. After describing about the colony soon becoming lost, it explores some of the clues that help us understand what might have happened to the colony.
Beth
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
So, I got this book because Emily visited here, but apparently I checked out the wrong copy. This is written on a first grade level. I read it anyway, because, afterall, it IS a book, but now I have to find one on the topic written on a much higher reading level.
Angie Libert
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
We often enjoy this author. Her material is thorough but not boring for little people.
Clara  Baker Baldwin
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Came back from a vacation in the area and wanted to refresh historical information.
April
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, tog-y2, children
I love reading children's history - I learn so much so fast! Great read!
Debra
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Juvenile book about the ages-old mystery of what happened to the Roanoke colonists, including little Virginia Dare, the first child born in America.
Brittney
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
This is an interesting story about the voyage to the New World.
Jamie
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
It was very good for a children's book. A very nice overview of the history.
Alexandria
Jul 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Pocahontas
  • If You Lived In Colonial Times
  • A Cache of Jewels and Other Collectible Nouns (World of Language)
  • Only the Names Remain: The Cherokees and The Trail of Tears
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Colonist!: A Settlement You'd Rather Not Start
  • Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving
  • Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims
  • Don't Know Much About American History
  • The Arctic Grail: The Quest for the Northwest Passage and the North Pole, 1818-1909
  • Anonyponymous: The Forgotten People behind Everyday Words
  • Trespassers Will Be Baptized: The Unordained Memoir of a Preacher's Daughter
  • Molly Bannaky
  • The Greek News
  • Wicked History Of The World
Jean Fritz was a children’s author with a fascination with writing historical fictions. She was born on November 16, 1915, in Hankow, China to missionary parents. After living in China for 13 years, Fritz and her family moved back to the United States. Beginning her career with an English degree, Fritz became an award-winning and respected author. She received an honor for every book that she wrot ...more
More about Jean Fritz

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More