Start by marking “Tres Tazas de Té” as Want to Read:
Tres Tazas de Té

Tres Tazas de Té

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  295,235 Ratings  ·  21,811 Reviews
En 1993, Greg Mortenson regresaba de un intento fallido de alcanzar la cumbre del K2. Exhausto y desorientado, llegó a una aldea al norte de Pakistán donde lo cuidaron hasta su recuperación. Durante su estancia, vio cómo los niños del lugar estudiaban sus lecciones a la intemperie y escribían con un palo en la tierra húmeda. Antes de regresar a casa, Mortenson les prometió ...more
Published September 6th 2010 by Roca Editorial (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Tres Tazas de Té, please sign up.

Michelle Pescatrice After reading the comments about this book, I did some research on my own. Central Asia Institute, Mr. Mortenson's fund raising foundation to raise…moreAfter reading the comments about this book, I did some research on my own. Central Asia Institute, Mr. Mortenson's fund raising foundation to raise money for his schools currently rates very high on Charity Navigator which means it has been thoroughly examined for transparency of funds and amount of $ actually spent on the project - not administration! I still enjoyed reading this book and it helped me understand the life of the people living in these small mountain villages. (less)

Nov 25, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here are a few things I’m suspicious of:

1. A book with two authors. It’s kind of like having too many cooks in the kitchen.
2. A book in which one of the two authors is the main subject of the book.
3. A book in which even though one of the authors is the main subject of the book, the book is written in third person.
4. Cultural imperialism.

With these four suspicions in mind, I started in on Three Cups of Tea, which was my book club’s choice for this month. Mortenson is a quirky do-gooder who c
Heather
Jun 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is driving me fricking nuts. I'm struggling to finish it, and can I help it if I feel like a bad person for HATING this book even though I totally support its main purpose and the mission of the subject??

I hope not. Jeez, where do I start. The writing? It's terrible. I am now going to randomly pick a page, any page, and find a ridiculous, klunky morsel for you:

"Suleman sat like a smiling Buddha next to Mortensen, his arms crossed over the beginning of a pot belly."

or,

"the inspiring vi
hayden
EDIT: Just so you guys all know, the word "Mortenson" is in the text a total of 1,943 times. That's right. 1,943.

What I wish to do so badly to this book.

0 of 5 stars

Before I get started, I just want to say that no review I could ever write ever would ever portray how much this book sucked for me. To me, Three Cups of Tea is the perfect embodiment and representation of the most tragically horrible book I've ever read.

In fact, for you today, I'm going to make a list of the 10 most tragic things i
Daniel
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: Ann Donahue
Shelves: book-club, 2008
While it's hard to give a negative review to a book with its heart in the right place, "Three Cups of Teas" is so full of weaknesses it'd be impossible to give it a rating with any more stars. In fact, the book's writing style alone is so poor, I feel generous giving it even two stars.

Though the work Greg Mortenson is doing -- building schools in impoverished parts of Pakistan and Afghanistan sorely in need of them -- is certainly laudable, his mission seems ill-served by "Three Cups." The book,
Katharine
Mar 28, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katharine by: Amicus Books in Marysville
I'm about in the middle of Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin and I'm ready to quit. First of all because when I just typed my first sentence here, I realized how sick I am of the words "Greg Mortenson". Half way through the book and the author is still immortalizing him by full name. I'm not a big fan of non-fiction but I've read plenty of third person accounts and don't remember this being so irritating in all of them.

Greg (smile) built schools in the high mountains in
Cait • A Page with a View
It's an absolutely amazing book until you start researching the trial against Greg Mortensen and find out how much of this is ALL A LIE. (Ok, the whole thing read like a massive ego boost in the first place, but still... the idea was hopeful).

Montana's prosecuting attorney came to teach my honors Advanced Nonprofit Administration class during Mortenson's trial. She wasn't allowed to give us information, but still kept saying "hypothetically if one were to..." and we got the gist of everything.

It
Saleh MoonWalker
Onvan : Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time - Nevisande : Greg Mortenson - ISBN : 143038257 - ISBN13 : 9780143038252 - Dar 349 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2006
Meredith
Sep 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Meredith by: Kokomo-Howard County Public Library
Three Cups of Tea is one of the worst books I've ever been forced to read. From the first page of this memoir, the ghostwriter's sickening tone of hero worship has Greg Mortenson healing the sick, making the lame walk, and performing superhumanly selfless acts on a daily basis since his earliest childhood. Luckily, the author stops short of having Mortenson deliver his wife's baby and walking on water. What was probably intended to be an uplifting tale about how even the smallest among us can ch ...more
P***a X?
Another book disappeared from my shelves. I also read Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way, Krakauer's excellent expose of the ego and lies of Mortenson because I had read it. The book was totally self-serving. Mother Teresa couldn't have written better. Ok I'm not a fan of Mother Teresa, I'm don't quite swallow whole Hitchen's The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice, but close. And so it is with Mortenson. He turned personal charity and ...more
Jessica
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Three Cups of Tea contains a hint of a beautiful story. There were parts that made me tear up. Some of the parts that made me tear up were touching; other parts that made me tear up were painfully written.

Greg Mortenson is really an American hero. His work in Pakistan and Afghanistan is truly amazing. David Oliver Relin is an American journalist. His work, at least on this book, is not so heroic. The following are some of my favorite, terrible sentences from the book:

“And by the time the rising
Criticism of Three Cups of Tea 9 134 Nov 22, 2017 01:54PM
Only A Book Apart: Jan/ Feb 2017 2 3 Feb 26, 2017 06:38AM
Our Shared Shelf: This topic has been closed to new comments. Three Cups of Tea 7 1153 Jan 12, 2016 11:54PM
BDCHS Advanced Re...: Three Cups of Tea- Hannah Himmelgreen 1 4 Oct 14, 2014 07:21PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Three Cups of Tea 1 2 Jul 13, 2014 01:08PM
The Amazing Super...: Rp group three 2 16 Jan 08, 2014 06:30PM
  • The Bookseller of Kabul
  • Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil
  • Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World
  • Leaving Microsoft to Change the World: An Entrepreneur's Odyssey to Educate the World's Children
  • The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur
  • Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women
  • The Sewing Circles of Herat: A Personal Voyage Through Afghanistan
  • The Soloist: A Lost Dream, an Unlikely Friendship, and the Redemptive Power of Music
  • A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband, Danny Pearl
  • The Faith Club: A Muslim, A Christian, A Jew--Three Women Search for Understanding
  • An Unexpected Light: Travels in Afghanistan
  • 28: Stories of AIDS in Africa
  • A Thousand Sisters: My Journey into the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman
  • Whatever It Takes: Geoffrey Canada's Quest to Change Harlem and America
  • Not On Our Watch: The Mission to End Genocide in Darfur and Beyond
  • Unbowed
  • The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope
  • Ordinary Resurrections
Greg Mortenson is the co-founder of nonprofit Central Asia Institute, Pennies For Peace, and co-author of New York Times bestseller ‘Three Cups of Tea’ (www.threecupsoftea.com) which has sold 3 million copies, been published in 39 countries, and a New York Times bestseller for three years since its January 2007 release, and Time Magazine Asia Book of The Year.

Mortenson’s new book, Stones Into Scho
More about Greg Mortenson...
“Once you educate the boys, they tend to leave the villages and go search for work in the cities, but the girls stay home, become leaders in the community, and pass on what they’ve learned. If you really want to change a culture, to empower women, improve basic hygiene and health care, and fight high rates of infant mortality, the answer is to educate girls.” 200 likes
“In times of war, you often hear leaders—Christian, Jewish, and Muslim—saying, ‘God is on our side.’ But that isn’t true. In war, God is on the side of refugees, widows, and orphans.” 97 likes