Start by marking “They Fought for Each Other: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Hardest Hit Unit in Iraq” as Want to Read:

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  347 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Charlie 1-26 confronted one of the worst neighborhoods in Baghdad and lost more men than any battalion since Vietnam

Based on “Blood Brothersâ€, the Michael Kelly Awardnominated series that ran in Army Times, this is the remarkable story of a courageous military unit that sacrificed their lives to change Adhamiya, Iraq, from a lawless town where insurgents roamed freely
Published March 2nd 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about They Fought for Each Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Fought for Each Other

Brennan Beck
Feb 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
As a soldier that served in Charlie Company, 1/26 in Adhamiya, I can speak from personal experience when i say this book is FULL of errors. Some of the mistakes are minor, stuff that any half-way decent author or editor should've caught before publication (example: on page 273 she writes 1st BN, 25th Regiment instead of 1/26). Many other errors are much more serious.

I could rant on and on about those errors, but I'll leave only a few here. Page 215, she mentions all the soldiers injured/killed i
Eric
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truly one of the more depressing and morale sapping accounts of a unit in the Iraq War I've read to date. Having said that, it's one of the books people should read to truly appreciate the depth of sacrifice front line US troops made in that war. Forced to see the mission through day by day by a high command who had no inkling of a clue what these soldiers were going through, casualties all but abandoned once out of the combat zone, the occasional "Dear John" situation, these guys got screwed.
Mason Lee
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*Spoiler*

“They Fought for Each Other” by Kelly Kennedy is a non-fiction story of Charlie Company 1-26 of the United States Army stationed in Adhamiya, Iraq. The Pentagon believed that insurgents were based in Adhamiya so they sent Charlie Company over to a suburb of Baghdad. The company was led by Captain Mike Baka and First Sergeant Kenneth Hendrix.
Charlie Company 1-26 is based at Schweinfurt, Germany. The soldiers first come to Schweinfurt and then get deployed to Iraq. A soldier’s daily life
Paul Carr
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Powerful telling of a reporter's time embedded in Iraq in 2007. Familiar themes are made personal through first-hand stories, as the company experiences the highs and lows of war, particularly a war they weren't supposed to "win" in the traditional sense. Kennedy shows us the bonds that are forged in combat and how they're affected by death. She points out issues in strategies and military politics without being judgmental. Most importantly, she shows us a platoon pushed to its breaking point, f ...more
Kathleen
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A very informative account of one of the most horrific tours in Iraq. This is an unbelievable true story. I read it from cover to cover because I had to know what happened to these men that I came to know and love. I cried through most of it, but it was worth all of the tears. As you get to know these men, you too will come to love them... and you will laugh out loud... and then you will cry. Every American should read this book.
Nicholas Miranda
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a book I Needed to read. It definitely is a tough one. I found it to be incredibly heartbreaking and important. I feel fortunate to get a glimpse of what happened to these young brave men who were up against the most devastating of circumstances. It's an intimate look at some of these men's individual stories as well as the company as a whole. This read was accompanied by an overwhelming sense of guilt and gratitude simultaneously.
Eric Barnes
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Few books help to bring reality of war to it's readers.. to explain in real terms what the military has to endure on a daily basis. This book has helped me to fully understand what my family had to go thru in Iraq. It makes you fully appreciate those that serve for us.. and the immediate/long-term injuries that they have to deal with. Thank you for the book Kelly... and thank you for describing the incident that saved my brother-in-law's life... thank you Ross for your ultimate sacrifice.
David Gray
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a very well written work on a heartbreaking subject. The story of C/1-26 Infantry in Iraq, one of the hardest hit units in the war grips you from the beginning and doesn't let go. I applaud the author for writing this without any political leanings or opinions. Having served in Iraq I valued the story of what happened at home after the casualties started happening. If there was a 6 Star rating this book would get it.
Eric Johnson
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Coming into the Company after Iraq (for Afghanistan) it's an interesting account of what happened and what stigma we had to erase after that fact. But it is a great book nonetheless a great book all around.
Jane
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Everyone should read this book. I have long felt disconnected from the war in Iraq and the experience of our soldiers. This brought the war home in so many ways.

Here's hoping that Ms. Kennedy follows up with the soldiers in the future and gives us an opportunity to see how they are doing now.
Nancy Brosch porfirio
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Heart wrenching and engaging ... I grew so attached to everyone in this book ... My son was in Afghanistan as an infantry soldier doing this job and I wanted to learn all I could about what he did
Claudius West
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I recommend this reading for those that want look into the real world of modern warfare. The brotherhood, the missions, the harsh realities.
Seth Jones
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a very emotional read. I was in their brigade. It is the best account written by a reporter I have encountered.
Mike
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read the book and found it to be a bit cumbersome to read. The style was inconsistent. Some parts were predictable. I read this thinking that overall the story was well done despite the shortcomings that I found in the book. I am an emergency responder and one of the big topics these days is critical incident stress debriefing (CISD) which is done to combat PTSD. I found the impact of PTSD on the soldiers to be well treated.

That is........... until I read the review of the book by one of the s
Warren Whitmire
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall: Quite simply, this book is one of the best narratives of small unit combat that I've ever read.

What I didn't like about the book: Some of the author's details about combat operations are incorrect, according to some members of the unit. I noticed a few small errors myself (I am retired Army, and although I did not serve with this unit, I knew some of those described in the book). Those minor inaccuracies are the only aspect of the book that prevented me from giving it five stars.

What I
Rachel Canfield
I just finished the book They Fought for Each Other by Kelly Kennedy. This book talks about a girl named Kelly, and her experience in war and about all the things that have happened. it also talks about all the soldiers, and their journeys along the way and what it was like there, and they also express the feelings they have for their team, and how they have each other’s backs and that they will always be there for each other. it also talks about their work and how important it is to them, And t ...more
Lynda
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
War? What is it good for? Absolutely nothing! I normally don't read books like this because of all the sadness that you know you're going to feel. When I think of all the young people we lost over there in a war created by an egotistical president, I feel sick to my stomach. War has been going on since the beginning of time. Will it ever end? Will good overcome evil? Will the power of love overcome the love of power someday?
I think we accomplished nothing in Iraq. Even the soldiers in Charlie C
Steven1996
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book
The book was full of hardships the soilders faced, one of many examples would be when a humvee exploded and killed many and injured many more, however the book wasnt totally accurate in its account of the events. With little research i discoved the book didnt mention a soilder, his name was flemming and he was a survivor of the attack, most of his body was destroyed by burns but her persevered. the book in genral does a fine job of displaying the soilders pain while at the same time entertaining ...more
Seth
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military

I give this book four stars because of its content: an account of real-life in the US Army. Ideals are great, as is patriotism, charity, etc. As I read this book, I became emotional more than once as stories were shared about how soldiers gave their lives in this conflict. More heart-wrenching than those deaths, though, were the effects on those left behind. The toll upon the families of military service members is unnecessary and immoral. There are tens of millions of Americans that should be
Allison
Mar 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is a tough read. It took me about a month to get through it. and that's not because it isn't a good book. The story is amazing and sad. It's full of courage and heroism. I got to knowyoung soldiers stationed in the most dangerous region in Iraq. I learned about their dedication to one another, their mission, and the people of Adhamiya. I learned about who they were in another life, back in the United States and on base in Germany. And I learned about IEDs and the lives those weapons st ...more
Nathan Vaillancourt
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think its a good book with learning curve and learn how people in the danger of their life they do anything to get out of the situation to survie and care for eachother. I cant really make an connects to see what they been going throw cuz i never had to fight for my life , if i join the army I could understand them and see what they go throw and have a great connects witha new group of friends and we will have that connects as no one else had and have that honnor and respect of eachother
Mitchell Lapora
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly one of the most in-depth military novels I have ever read. The true horrors of war are exposed here as a group known as Charlie Company go through numerous triumphs and torments during their tour in Iraq. With deaths of good friends and the absence of any gain because of their work, there were times in this book that almost brought me to tears. If anyone wants to learn what our soldiers go through when they're out there, this is the book to read.
Michelle
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An eye-opening look at what really goes on over there. Will make you proud of our troops and sad for them at the same time. Strength and Honor. We need to do more to remember and honor our young men and women overseas. Many of whom aren't even sure why they are there or what they've accomplished, but carry on in the name of duty just the same.
Zoraida Terry
May 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read the reviews of a soldier who was actually in this unit in Iraq. Glad I didn't put this story in my mind as all true. Also, each time she told a little about a soldier he died two paragraphs later. So you knew what was going to happen. My hearts go out to each of them and as many of them wanted I am saying Thank You and I could never nor do I want to go thru what you did or made to do!
Matt Nichols
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
I highly recommend it for all company grade leaders (officers & NCO's), especially in the US Army and USMC. It covers a deployment from the viewpoints of the Soldiers down range, the wounded warriors, and the families back home. Fairly comprehensive look at a deployment from multiple viewpoints, and from train-up to reset.
James McLaughlin
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
A tale of a US Army combat battalion in Iraq. While the story is important to document and tell I found the book to be cumbersome. I struggled to complete the read and did so out of a sense of loyalty to the men and women portrayed in the book.
Steve
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Disappointing having read The Only Thing Worth Dying for by Eric Blehm before it. The narrative was pretty weak and while I think the author was inspired, it didn't come through very well; I might blame the editor as much as anyone for this one.
Bette
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
One of the most humorous points in the book was when the the company was calling their new Battalion Commander "Lord Farquaad" (Shrek). They said it was because he looked like him :0) and the way he command their battalion reminded them of him. I will never look at Lord Farquaad the same, LMAO
Shawna
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kelly did an amazing job. It was a very hard read because of the personal and nature of the contents; however I appreciated getting a glimpse of what life was like for Ryan and his fellows soldiers. I think it is an absolute must read for everyone
Pat
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book last year and it was another really good book about war. This one is during the Iraq war and is very similar to the book I just finished called The Names Not on The Wall. Very good reading and very enlightening. I recommend this book very highly.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • No Way Out: A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan
  • A Table in the Presence: The Dramatic Account of How a U.S. Marine Battalion Experienced God's Presence Amidst the Chaos of the War in Iraq
  • Gentlemen Bastards: On the Ground in Afghanistan with America's Elite Special Forces
  • Paradise General: Riding the Surge at a Combat Hospital in Iraq
  • Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War
  • What Was Asked of Us: An Oral History of the Iraq War by the Soldiers Who Fought It
  • Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds
  • First Great Triumph
  • No Worse Enemy: The Inside Story of the Chaotic Struggle for Afghanistan
  • Band of Sisters: American Women at War in Iraq
  • Eight Lives Down: The Story of a Counterterrorist Bomb-Disposal Operator's Tour in Iraq
  • Rule Number Two: Lessons I Learned in a Combat Hospital
  • Greetings From Afghanistan, Send More Ammo: Dispatches from Taliban Country
  • The Road to Unafraid: How the Army's Top Ranger Faced Fear and Found Courage through Black Hawk Down and Beyond
  • The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq
  • No Place to Hide: A Brain Surgeon's Long Journey Home from the Iraq War
  • Just Another Soldier: A Year on the Ground in Iraq
  • Coppola: A Pediatric Surgeon in Iraq
Kelly Kennedy is the best-selling author of "They Fought for Each Other: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Hardest Hit Unit in Iraq," and the co-author of Kate Germano's "Fight Like a Girl: The Truth Behind how Female Marines are Trained."

An award-winning journalist, Kennedy embedded in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and served as Military Reporters & Editors' first female president. She is the only
More about Kelly Kennedy...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.99 $1.99
  • At Home in the World: Reflections on Belonging While Wandering the Globe
    $9.99 $1.99
    $11.99 $1.99
“I can't – I don't understand. That's a human being there on the ground, and nobody cares.” 1 likes