Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers (First Time Books, #18)” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers (First Time Books, #18)

The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers (The Berenstain Bears)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  10,598 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
When Papa Bear tells the cubs why they should never talk to strangers, Sister begins to view all strangers as evil until Mama brings some common sense to the problem.
Published August 12th 1985 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers

Nick
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
On the surface, this book is a simple, heavy-handed warning to children about "stranger danger". However, on a subtle level it examines two important ontological oppositions. The primary of these is the relationship between self and other. This duality is present not just in the stranger/non-stranger pairing, but also in the contrast between Sister and Brother. The authors highlight the crucial difference between the siblings as being their adherence to social norms. This text is ripe for a femi ...more
Sarah Sammis
Dec 02, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: released
Books are a wonderful tool for teaching children about the world and to give them the tools to survive. That doesn't mean that books need to hit children over the head with these important life lessons.

The Berenstain Bears series of books runs the gamut from entertaining stories of a brother and sister growing up to blatantly obvious and forced lessons. The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers is in the unfortunate obvious and forced end of the spectrum. It's frankly an awful book. It's as ba
Racquel
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Shacoria
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Small Children
This is the 18th Berenstain Bears book that I have read. This book teaches about strangers and I think that it does a very good job. I especially liked the safety tips at the end of the book. I think that this will be my final Berenstain Bears book. I'm sort of getting sick of the bears altogether. There's nothing wrong with them and there's really only so much bear perfection a person can withstand.
Rachel
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I realize that most Berenstain books are written to teach a morally driven or safety-conscious lesson and I have no problems with that concept--in fact that is precisely one of the reasons that I love Dr. Seuss stories. However, this is not the format in which to take itself too seriously and "stranger safety" isn't a theme that can be humorized, so it just doesn't work, other than as an awkward introduction to a well intended discussion.
Kimbely Fletcher
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Brother and Sister Bear are out with Papa and Brother starts talking to strangers. Pap warns them about the danger of strangers. This terrifies them and scares them away from all strangers. In the end Mama talks some common sense into the kids and tells them what to look out for.

I would use this book in my classroom to teach about stranger danger. I could use it in a thematic unit about safety. I really enjoyed this book because it teaches a usable skill.
Karen
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
As others have noted, this book focuses on Stranger Danger, not mentioning adults who may be in or close to the family or in positions of authority. But within this sphere, it gets across the importance of wariness without being frightening. My four-year-old's asked to read it several times since the first introduction and asked good questions based upon the story, so it's probably best used as a good starting point for many conversations rather than expecting it to cover the gamut of important ...more
Ellon
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
I really like the way this book presented strangers. It was serious enough that children understand that they need to be careful but also addressed the fact that you don't have to be afraid to live. My kindergarten students seemed to really like the book and connect to it.
Adrianne
Oct 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids-books
My 5 year old said he learned something from this book ("don't do anything with strangers."), but it's boring. It is a little heavy-handed.
Lauren Wood
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: el230
The Berenstain Bear books have always been a favorite of mine growing up. I love how they have books for many of children's first experiences in life. This book does teach a good lesson to children on how to be cautious around strangers but also not to be afraid of them all of the time. There are many words on each page and the length of the book might be too long for the younger children; so I would say second grade would benefit most from this book.
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving
  • Just a Mess (Little Critter)
  • Where's Waldo? the Fantastic Journey
  • Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4)
  • Clifford’s Birthday Party
  • Franklin Fibs
  • Good Night, Little Bear
  • Arthur's Pet Business (Arthur Adventure Series)
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark