Start by marking “Avatar The Last Airbender: The Art of the Animated Series” as Want to Read:
Avatar The Last Airbender: The Art of the Animated Series

Avatar The Last Airbender: The Art of the Animated Series

(Avatar: The Last Airbender Books)

A stunning masterpiece of animated storytelling.

Avatar: The Last Airbender has been syndicated to more than 120 countries around the world, inspiring millions of fans and industry professionals alike and garnering numerous industry honors--including wins at the prestigious Annie, Peabody, and Primetime Emmy awards.

Join series creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante
Published October 20th 2010 by Dark Horse Books (first published June 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Avatar The Last Airbender, please sign up.
TheSirensLibrary Behind the scenes, character and environment design and all fun bits about the entire three seasons (or books)…moreBehind the scenes, character and environment design and all fun bits about the entire three seasons (or books) (less)

Start your review of Avatar The Last Airbender: The Art of the Animated Series
Parka
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books, animation

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

This is a wonderful art book for a spellbinding animation series. Making the series took 6 years, hundreds of artists, and hundreds of thousands of drawings. This book showcases a selection of some really beautiful illustrations.

There are loads of character and background designs inside, in sketches and in their finished coloured form. The main characters like Aang and others come with cool animation sequences created with pencils. Also included are many of the
Jim
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for every Avatar fan.

It's so interesting to learn about how it all started, how the two creators came up with the idea, what where their inspirations and what things they went through to bring their dream to life.
Besides the really interesting real life story of the creators, it also nice to see how the characters originaly look like and their development from the begining to the final result.

As a huge fan of the series, i enjoyed this very much and it was great to visit the world of
Ashley Brooke
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic addition to the 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' universe. Hardbound and sitting at around 185 pages, it is packed with commentary on the series beginning to end, sketches of the characters as they evolved into what we see in the animation, and best of all, lots of original artwork by the creators.

Creators Bryan and Michael let us in on lots of little factoids sure to please Avatar fans. (Unfortunately, they left out the part about where Zuko's mother is, but I guess that
Bayley
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
At the size of your average textbook, this art book is chock full of full-color images, sketches, character designs, and great information. From its conception to the end of the series, Avatar: The Last Airbender had truly stunning art and unbelievably detailed and beautiful backgrounds and designs. This book is a must for any Avatar fan. I hope we get another art book some day, because I definitely want to see more.
Joe
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the better art books out there, it's full of concept and production art as well as plenty of behind-the-scenes info about he show and world of Avatar. A great addition to the bookshelf of any Avatar fan.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
For ANY fan of the series, this is an ABSOLUTE must-have. This book is jam-packed with all sorts of goodies, plus stuff I didn't expect to have. I've always loved seeing rough sketches and idea drawings, and this book does not fail to disappoint.

You get a huge treasure trove of backgrounds, paintings, character designs, and notes. It truly is an amazing read.

Like Johane said, it's almost a shame that there isn't a separate book for each season, because there's just so much good stuff in here.
Jennie
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Avatar
Shelves: fantasy, art
I love Avatar: The Last Airbender, which I had the fortune of finally watching in its entirety after much prompting from very convincing friends. This artbook is a fantastic endcap to a truly epic series that makes you appreciate the effort, artistry, and research chops the creators put into, of all things, a children's cartoon. Definitely a book I don't regret buying -- the huge art spreads that detail the world building behind the show are worth the price of the book ten times over. Massively ...more
Susie Minehan
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
This book, to me, is exactly what any 'art behind the series' should be. Every last detail of the show is covered, starting off with the very first sketch of the futuristic boy that became Aang, and finishing with break downs of every episode. It is fascinating to read and learn how much detail was put into the development of the bending motions, which countries the inspiration of the architecture and artwork within the show came from, and the detail put into simply the backgrounds. Avatar: The ...more
Virginia
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
A behind-the-scenes look at the art of the animated series, the pictures and pencil drawings and paintings are beautiful. More than that, I appreciated hearing from the creators their thoughts on the characters and art. I would have liked to see more "large" pictures of the animation. My favorite part of the book was the translation of the various posters and calligraphy featured on the show. The book could've been tripled the current length and I would've wanted more.
Melissa Milazzo
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, art
This volume is a very cool companion to the animated series. It shares the genesis of character, costume and culture designs that made Avatar such a great show. I loved seeing how characters like Uncle Iroh and Toph changed from conception to their final versions. It also made me appreciate how much hard work went in to make a "simple" kids show!
Tor
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
M.N.S. did not read this book. It was amazing, full of awesome art, comments from Byan and Mike, concepts, and it was also very funny.
Yasmine
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
now excuse me while i go rewatch the animated series for the thousandth time
Christine
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm a huge fan of the tv series and have watched and rewatched it countless times over the years so getting my hands on this book was a real treat. It was such a joy to read this. It was so interesting to see how the concept for the show and the production came together from their first collaborations to pitching the story to the network and so on. I loved learning about the various cultures they drew inspiration from for the locations, costumes and art style. I know very little about animation ...more
A.
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous and insightful, although the relative lack of discussion in regards to the (very comprehensive) artwork can at times make it feel rather like going to a gallery rather than peeking behind the scenes. Probably my favorite thing about this collection is the (admittedly succinct) examination of the development process (the original premise, the pitch, the pilot, etc.) and the care Konietzko and DiMartino take to spotlight the South Korean studios and individual animators who worked on the ...more
Douglas Summers-Stay
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
My son Daniel and I really enjoyed this series and we were hungry for anything more. The concept art is good, often more detailed than the show, and the commentary is interesting: I thought the dragon turtle in the last episode kind of came out of nowhere, for example, but they pointed to places hints about it showed up earlier in the series. We wished there were more pictures of the main characters. We also got a "How to Draw Avatar" book but it was very short. Looking forward to the new ...more
Jacob
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-have for any enthusiast of the Airbender series or universe. It covers the conception of the series, featuring inside looks at the series Bible and other materials that gave birth to the show. Equally interesting is the insight into the day-to-day operation of producing the show. The story boards, pencil tests and concept sketches alone make this book a treat, but the remarks from its creators put it over the top as a joy to read.

Insightful, gorgeous and inspirational. An
Katy
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am new to the Avatar world (in fact it was maybe a couple of week ago that i finally choose to watch the TV series) but i found this book on offer and bought it and now i am glad that i did. It goes in depth to explain the ideas and concepts behind the television series it also has the most stunning artwork that i have seen for a Cartoon show. Anyone that is a fan of the Avatar Series will love this book i am sure!
Lindsical
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent for any fan of the Last Airbender series. It is chocked full of gorgeous production art, background paintings, and character designs and original sketches. It's narrated by the creator's Mike and Bryan throughout the book. They give detailed accounts of the process of making this series from start to finish.
Samantha
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I haven't looked at many art books for shows/movies, but this one was beyond my expectations! I loved the art that was shared, and it was great to learn about how the character designs came about, as well as the designs for the locations. Learning about how the series came about was very interesting as well.

Almost everything in this book was written by Bryan and Mike, and so it is as official as you can get.

I do wish that more information and images had been included (especially with Toph, as
Dontra Thompson
The book avatar is a boy trying to find as the avatar his book is a fantastic addition to the 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' universe. Hardbound and sitting at around 185 pages, it is packed with commentary on the series beginning to end, sketches of the characters as they evolved into what we see in the animation, and best of all, lots of original artwork by the creators. I like this book because he shows how he fills so this is my blog today
Katya Reimann
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have this book on order... and it is just taking too long to arrive.

This book is a great "process" piece, telling the story of how two long-time friends came together with a creative idea and brought that idea to successful fruition. Yeah, the live-action movie was a mess, but everything else about this series is tremendous fun.
Heather
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Best Book EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
B.
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an absolutely beautiful book. The art is fantastic and inspiring. As an avid Avatar the Last Airbender fan, I was more then delighted to read about little details and insight from the creators.

Who knew that in their idea grew from a drawing the did of a bald man with an arrow in his head, a robot cyclops monkey, and a polar bear-dog!

This book was worth every penny.
Rene
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the book I have been waiting for! I am a huge fan of the series! This gives the complete back story from early sketches and the original pilot to the last season. This book has everything that the DVDs were lacking as far as "special features" go.
Elevetha
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of ATLA
3.5 stars.

Gives some insight to the tremendous amount of creativity, work, and time invested in the show.
Alexandra
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First “art of” book I owned and still one of my favorites. This one is a must have for fans of Avatar. Love all of the concept art and seeing all of the character and story changes that happened during the shows development. You can also see small glimpses of things that didn’t make it into the original series, but later appeared in Korra. I’ve had this book for years and I still go back and look at it from time to time for inspiration.
Sophie
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I read this, Avatar: the Last Airbender is one of my favorite tv show and I learned so much more about the world and the creation of this series, all the ideas that preceded the final design, with little notes for all the characters, I think I love Avatar even more now (is that even possible?)
MayDay
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this hard cover, you will get a behind-the-scenes look into the art of the Emmy award winning series, Avatar: the Last Airbender . You will get to see the characters and story you love come to life, from the first scratch on a blank piece of paper to the breathtaking back grounds of the series finally.
The Avatar series is many things, but world building, story making, and well developed characters are something to be admired. In just 61 episodes, you learn these characters lives, their
Katie
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After years of hearing my friends and peers gush about how wonderful Avatar: The Last Airbender is, this summer, I finally got around to seeing what the show was all about. Of course, I immediately fell in love with the detailed world building and multi-dimensional characters and ended up watching all 3 seasons in a week. It was one of the best and most intricate (both art and story wise) American cartoons I've ever watched. When I saw this book, I couldn't resist buying it and it was worth ...more
Tung
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book is my eighth Avatar book of the year, having already read some graphic novels set in the series’ universe. This book tells a different story: the story behind the creation and the amazing art of the show. The narrative is told through an interview format where the show’s creators (Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko) discuss how they met, how they formulated the ideas behind the show, how they worked with a Korean animation studio, etc. – essentially all of the various aspects of the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 2 (The Promise, #2)
  • Avatar Volume 1: The Last Airbender (Avatar #1)
  • Naruto, Vol. 01: Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto, #1)
  • The Art of How to Train Your Dragon
  • The Art of Tangled
  • The Art of Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: The Film, the Art, the Vision
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 (Fairy Tail, #1)
  • Bleach, Volume 01
  • The Legend of Korra: The Art of the Animated Series Book One: Air
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)
  • One Piece, Volume 1: Romance Dawn
  • Uzumaki: The Art of Naruto
  • ワンパンマン 1 [Wanpanman 1] (Onepunch-Man, #1)
  • Tokyo Ghoul, tome 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1  (Blue Exorcist, #1)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 01 (Soul Eater, #1)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)

Avatar: The Last Airbender Books (1 - 10 of 77 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Poster Collection
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
  • Avatar Volume 1: The Last Airbender (Avatar #1)
  • Avatar Volume 2: The Last Airbender (Avatar #2)
  • Avatar Volume 3: The Last Airbender (Avatar #3)
  • Avatar Volume 4: The Last Airbender (Avatar #4)
  • Avatar Volume 5: The Last Airbender (Avatar #5)
  • Avatar Volume 6: The Last Airbender (Avatar #6)
  • Avatar Volume 7: The Last Airbender (Avatar #7)
  • Avatar Volume 8: The Last Airbender (Avatar #8)