Start by marking “Avatar: The Last Airbender (The Art of the Animated Series)” as Want to Read:
Avatar: The Last Airbender (The Art of the Animated Series)

Avatar: The Last Airbender (Avatar: The Last Airbender Books)

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  16,077 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
A stunning masterpiece of animated storytelling.

Avatar: The Last Airbender has been syndicated to more than 120 countries around the world, inspiring millions of fans and industry professionals alike and garnering numerous industry honors--including wins at the prestigious Annie, Peabody, and Primetime Emmy awards.

Join series creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante
Published June 1st 2010 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Avatar, please sign up.
TheSirensLibrary Behind the scenes, character and environment design and all fun bits about the entire three seasons (or books)

Parka
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books, animation

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

This is a wonderful art book for a spellbinding animation series. Making the series took 6 years, hundreds of artists, and hundreds of thousands of drawings. This book showcases a selection of some really beautiful illustrations.

There are loads of character and background designs inside, in sketches and in their finished coloured form. The main characters like Aang and others come with cool animation sequences created with pencils. Also included are many of the
Jim
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for every Avatar fan.

It's so interesting to learn about how it all started, how the two creators came up with the idea, what where their inspirations and what things they went through to bring their dream to life.
Besides the really interesting real life story of the creators, it also nice to see how the characters originaly look like and their development from the begining to the final result.

As a huge fan of the series, i enjoyed this very much and it was great to visit the world of
Ashley Brooke
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic addition to the 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' universe. Hardbound and sitting at around 185 pages, it is packed with commentary on the series beginning to end, sketches of the characters as they evolved into what we see in the animation, and best of all, lots of original artwork by the creators.

Creators Bryan and Michael let us in on lots of little factoids sure to please Avatar fans. (Unfortunately, they left out the part about where Zuko's mother is, but I guess that wa
Bayley
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
At the size of your average textbook, this art book is chock full of full-color images, sketches, character designs, and great information. From its conception to the end of the series, Avatar: The Last Airbender had truly stunning art and unbelievably detailed and beautiful backgrounds and designs. This book is a must for any Avatar fan. I hope we get another art book some day, because I definitely want to see more.
Joe
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the better art books out there, it's full of concept and production art as well as plenty of behind-the-scenes info about he show and world of Avatar. A great addition to the bookshelf of any Avatar fan.
M.M. Strawberry Reviews
For ANY fan of the series, this is an ABSOLUTE must-have. This book is jam-packed with all sorts of goodies, plus stuff I didn't expect to have. I've always loved seeing rough sketches and idea drawings, and this book does not fail to disappoint.

You get a huge treasure trove of backgrounds, paintings, character designs, and notes. It truly is an amazing read.

Like Johane said, it's almost a shame that there isn't a separate book for each season, because there's just so much good stuff in here. It
Jennie
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Avatar
Shelves: art, fantasy
I love Avatar: The Last Airbender, which I had the fortune of finally watching in its entirety after much prompting from very convincing friends. This artbook is a fantastic endcap to a truly epic series that makes you appreciate the effort, artistry, and research chops the creators put into, of all things, a children's cartoon. Definitely a book I don't regret buying -- the huge art spreads that detail the world building behind the show are worth the price of the book ten times over. Massively ...more
Susie Minehan
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
This book, to me, is exactly what any 'art behind the series' should be. Every last detail of the show is covered, starting off with the very first sketch of the futuristic boy that became Aang, and finishing with break downs of every episode. It is fascinating to read and learn how much detail was put into the development of the bending motions, which countries the inspiration of the architecture and artwork within the show came from, and the detail put into simply the backgrounds. Avatar: The ...more
Virginia
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
A behind-the-scenes look at the art of the animated series, the pictures and pencil drawings and paintings are beautiful. More than that, I appreciated hearing from the creators their thoughts on the characters and art. I would have liked to see more "large" pictures of the animation. My favorite part of the book was the translation of the various posters and calligraphy featured on the show. The book could've been tripled the current length and I would've wanted more.
Mollymillions
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, art
This volume is a very cool companion to the animated series. It shares the genesis of character, costume and culture designs that made Avatar such a great show. I loved seeing how characters like Uncle Iroh and Toph changed from conception to their final versions. It also made me appreciate how much hard work went in to make a "simple" kids show!
Tor
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
M.N.S. did not read this book. It was amazing, full of awesome art, comments from Byan and Mike, concepts, and it was also very funny.
Christine
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm a huge fan of the tv series and have watched and rewatched it countless times over the years so getting my hands on this book was a real treat. It was such a joy to read this. It was so interesting to see how the concept for the show and the production came together from their first collaborations to pitching the story to the network and so on. I loved learning about the various cultures they drew inspiration from for the locations, costumes and art style. I know very little about animation ...more
Jacob
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-have for any enthusiast of the Airbender series or universe. It covers the conception of the series, featuring inside looks at the series Bible and other materials that gave birth to the show. Equally interesting is the insight into the day-to-day operation of producing the show. The story boards, pencil tests and concept sketches alone make this book a treat, but the remarks from its creators put it over the top as a joy to read.

Insightful, gorgeous and inspirational. An eas
A.
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous and insightful, although the relative lack of discussion in regards to the (very comprehensive) artwork can at times make it feel rather like going to a gallery rather than peeking behind the scenes. Probably my favorite thing about this collection is the (admittedly succinct) examination of the development process (the original premise, the pitch, the pilot, etc.) and the care Konietzko and DiMartino take to spotlight the South Korean studios and individual animators who worked on the ...more
Douglas Summers-Stay
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
My son Daniel and I really enjoyed this series and we were hungry for anything more. The concept art is good, often more detailed than the show, and the commentary is interesting: I thought the dragon turtle in the last episode kind of came out of nowhere, for example, but they pointed to places hints about it showed up earlier in the series. We wished there were more pictures of the main characters. We also got a "How to Draw Avatar" book but it was very short. Looking forward to the new series ...more
Katy
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am new to the Avatar world (in fact it was maybe a couple of week ago that i finally choose to watch the TV series) but i found this book on offer and bought it and now i am glad that i did. It goes in depth to explain the ideas and concepts behind the television series it also has the most stunning artwork that i have seen for a Cartoon show. Anyone that is a fan of the Avatar Series will love this book i am sure!
Lindsical
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent for any fan of the Last Airbender series. It is chocked full of gorgeous production art, background paintings, and character designs and original sketches. It's narrated by the creator's Mike and Bryan throughout the book. They give detailed accounts of the process of making this series from start to finish.
Samantha
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I haven't looked at many art books for shows/movies, but this one was beyond my expectations! I loved the art that was shared, and it was great to learn about how the character designs came about, as well as the designs for the locations. Learning about how the series came about was very interesting as well.

Almost everything in this book was written by Bryan and Mike, and so it is as official as you can get.

I do wish that more information and images had been included (especially with Toph, as sh
Dontra Thompson
The book avatar is a boy trying to find as the avatar his book is a fantastic addition to the 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' universe. Hardbound and sitting at around 185 pages, it is packed with commentary on the series beginning to end, sketches of the characters as they evolved into what we see in the animation, and best of all, lots of original artwork by the creators. I like this book because he shows how he fills so this is my blog today
Katya Reimann
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have this book on order... and it is just taking too long to arrive.

This book is a great "process" piece, telling the story of how two long-time friends came together with a creative idea and brought that idea to successful fruition. Yeah, the live-action movie was a mess, but everything else about this series is tremendous fun.
Heather
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Best Book EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bethany Clement
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an absolutely beautiful book. The art is fantastic and inspiring. As an avid Avatar the Last Airbender fan, I was more then delighted to read about little details and insight from the creators.

Who knew that in their idea grew from a drawing the did of a bald man with an arrow in his head, a robot cyclops monkey, and a polar bear-dog!

This book was worth every penny.
Rene
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the book I have been waiting for! I am a huge fan of the series! This gives the complete back story from early sketches and the original pilot to the last season. This book has everything that the DVDs were lacking as far as "special features" go.
Elevetha
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of ATLA
3.5 stars.

Gives some insight to the tremendous amount of creativity, work, and time invested in the show.
Sophie
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
I'm so glad I read this, Avatar: the Last Airbender is one of my favorite tv show and I learned so much more about the world and the creation of this series, all the ideas that preceded the final design, with little notes for all the characters, I think I love Avatar even more now (is that even possible?)
MayDay
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this hard cover, you will get a behind-the-scenes look into the art of the Emmy award winning series, Avatar: the Last Airbender . You will get to see the characters and story you love come to life, from the first scratch on a blank piece of paper to the breathtaking back grounds of the series finally.
The Avatar series is many things, but world building, story making, and well developed characters are something to be admired. In just 61 episodes, you learn these characters lives, their strug
Katie
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After years of hearing my friends and peers gush about how wonderful Avatar: The Last Airbender is, this summer, I finally got around to seeing what the show was all about. Of course, I immediately fell in love with the detailed world building and multi-dimensional characters and ended up watching all 3 seasons in a week. It was one of the best and most intricate (both art and story wise) American cartoons I've ever watched. When I saw this book, I couldn't resist buying it and it was worth ever ...more
Tung
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book is my eighth Avatar book of the year, having already read some graphic novels set in the series’ universe. This book tells a different story: the story behind the creation and the amazing art of the show. The narrative is told through an interview format where the show’s creators (Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko) discuss how they met, how they formulated the ideas behind the show, how they worked with a Korean animation studio, etc. – essentially all of the various aspects of the ...more
krad
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it

+ Design and layout of the book complemented paintings, pencil concepts, and general style of the series.

+ Includes lengthy comments by the director of the series along with additional artists, showing their reasoning for concepts.

+ Quality and detail of pencil renderings and background paintings is phenomenal

+ Content range is vast, showing items from all episodes to most of the memorable NPC's. Even includes some reference pictures that the director took of China for aesthetic direction.

+ Bias

Tori Stegle
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This Nick Show is the ABSOLUTE BEST EVER! Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko are in the same genius class as Albert Einstein himself. The characters were all great. And adding this insight into the art of the animated series was just icing on the cake. Thank god it was included in my DVD purchase. You really should check both this book and the TV show out. I know you will fall in love with it like I did.
  • The Legend of Korra: The Art of the Animated Series Book One: Air
  • The Art of Tangled
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 2 (The Promise, #2)
  • The Art of Spirited Away
  • The Art of Hercules: The Chaos of Creation
  • Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: The Film, the Art, the Vision
  • The Art of How to Train Your Dragon 2
  • The Art of Rise of the Guardians

Avatar: The Last Airbender Books (1 - 10 of 74 books)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Poster Collection
  • The Last Airbender: Prequel - Zuko's Story
  • Avatar Volume 1: The Last Airbender (Avatar #1)
  • Avatar Volume 2: The Last Airbender (Avatar #2)
  • Avatar Volume 3: The Last Airbender (Avatar #3)
  • Avatar Volume 4: The Last Airbender (Avatar #4)
  • Avatar Volume 5: The Last Airbender (Avatar #5)
  • Avatar Volume 6: The Last Airbender (Avatar #6)
  • Avatar Volume 7: The Last Airbender (Avatar #7)
  • Avatar Volume 8: The Last Airbender (Avatar #8)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • The Great Glass Sea
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)