Start by marking “Star Trek Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny, Book One” as Want to Read:
Star Trek Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny, Book One

Star Trek Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny, Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  411 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
"The Klingon Empire is dying...and I think it deserves to die."

With those words, Lieutenant Ezri Dax propelled Lieutenant Commander Worf to the most fateful decision of his life -- to vanquish Klingon leader Gowron in honorable combat and install in his place a low-born, one-eyed soldier of the empire who might lead their people back to the path of honor.

Under the weighty

Published March 14th 2003 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published March 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek Deep Space Nine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek Deep Space Nine

William Galaini
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer #1: Star Trek… exists in its own continuum of quality. Some might say a particular work of Star Trek might be ‘poor’ by most standards yet ‘good’ by the standards of Star Trek. The opposite can be said as well, in that the new Star Trek reboot films are ‘good’ by most standards and yet poor by Star Trek standards.

Disclaimer #2: I have met one of these authors personally, and I delighted in their company. I have reviewed authors I know previously, and I do my best to be honest.

Deep Spa
Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Klingon centred story- interested in where book 2 goes
Elen
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Look I just love Worf so dang much.
Kathy
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Left Hand of Destiny Book One by J.G. Hertzler and Jeffery Lang was a fantastic book if you love Klingons. The book is well balanced between action, plot, and character depth.

I’m unapologetic lover of Klingons. When I went to the Vancouver Star Trek Convention, the thing I was looking forward to the Breakfast with the Klingons the most. While on the outside I was all calm, on the inside the little girl in me would have thrown my autograph book on my head with glee just as my sister did when
Diogenes
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"No warrior can defeat destiny."

I needed a reprieve from the hard nonfiction I've been engaged with, saw this on Oyster, and promptly pounced upon it.

I used to read sci-fi and fantasy a lot when I was younger, in the '80s and '90s, but after Iraq, I lost my innocence of imagination to the harsh hell of reality, and began to dissect the world, history, and human behavior for what it truly is. That said, I was (and will always be) a huge fan of Star Trek's Deep Space Nine series, which was THE St
Gabrielle
Feb 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh, I wanted to like this, and in fairness it did get me through several rough hours on a flight, but it was pretty bad. I picked it up to finish it, read a ridiculous Gothmara scene and just thought "you know, I think I'll pass." Like can't a lady Klingon bio-engineer enact her evil plans without relying on seduction? So boring. None of the characters voices seemed quite right (even Martok, sadly).
Joseph Masiello
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have the entire Deep Space 9 series a couple of times. It was by far my favorite series out of all that Star Trek has offered. It was gritty, dark, and not afraid to show the horrible side of the future. DeepSpace Nine also gave us a larger look at Klingon culture that The Next Generation had set up. Word and Martok were two of my favorite characters in the series. So to read a book that expands on what happens to them after the events of DS9's finale was a no brainer. I had to read it.

The Lef
Tina
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another relaunch book I started initially disappointed, because it doesn't pick up where Mission Gamma left off (on quite a cliffhanger!). This book takes place right after the series ends, and shows what's going on in the Klingon empire.

My disappointment was short-lived, though. This book does a wonderful job of getting into Martok's head. He's shown to be a complex individual, still reeling after the traumatic events he suffered during the series, and who has his own doubts and flaws. That see
Greg
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i read this book on release (ie: many years ago) and loved it.
David Agranoff
Taking place right after the events of the last episode of Deep space nine, this novel follows Worf and the newly appointed General/Chancellor Martok back to the Klingon home world after the end of the Dominion War.

Before they can beam down to celebrate with gallons of blood wine a rebel blows up the hall of warriors and another Klingon civil war that breaks out suddenly.

Pretty neat that this novel is co-written by the actor who played Martok. Andrew Robinson(Also the serial killer in dirty har
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • A Stitch in Time
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • What Lay Beyond (Star Trek: Gateways, #7)
  • Day of the Vipers (Star Trek Terok Nor Book 1)
  • The Fall of Terok Nor (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Millennium, #1)
John Garman "J.G." Hertzler is an American actor, well known in the Star Trek community for his role on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) as the Klingon General (and later Chancellor) Martok. He is presently a Resident Professional Teaching Associate at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY.
More about J.G. Hertzler...

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny (2 books)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)