Start by marking “Paul and Me: Fifty-three Years of Adventures and Misadventures with My Pal Paul Newman” as Want to Read:

Bestselling author A. E. Hotchner's intimate account of his 53-year friendship with his pal Paul Newman.

A. E. Hotchner first met Paul Newman in 1955 when the virtually unknown actor assumed the lead role in Hotchner’s first television play, based on an Ernest Hemingway story. The project elevated both men from relative obscurity to recognition and began a close and trusted
Published March 23rd 2010 by Nan A. Talese (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Paul and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul and Me

Start your review of Paul and Me: Fifty-three Years of Adventures and Misadventures with My Pal Paul Newman
Ken
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Saw this at the library and picked it up on a whim. A.E. Hotchner is an old buddy and business partner of Paul Newman, and this is Hotchner’s memoir of their friendship.

The first half of the book is a random set of recollections about Hotchner’s friend Paul Newman, in no particular order. It’s wildly uneven; at its best, the stories are personal and insightful. At other times, the stories are random and dull. However, it picks up when Newman decides to start his Newman’s Own food business; the
Conrad Wesselhoeft
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A.E. Hotchner's memoir of Paul Newman is an eloquent tribute to the man and artist, written with grace, modesty, and wit. Decades ago, Hotchner wrote "Papa Hemingway," one of my all-time favorite memoirs. While "Papa Hemingway" traced an ominous arc--you knew Hemingway was headed for self-destruction-- "Paul and Me" follows an almost joyous trajectory, from Newman's ascent in Hollywood to his unlikely successes as champion race car driver, food icon, and philanthropist. (The glaring exception is ...more
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
this book is more of a series of vignettes than a cohesive biography, which is okay as long as you accept it. at first i was a little annoyed with the thing, but then i decided to go with the flow and just enjoy the vignettes as if they were stories a friend was telling me. which is what they felt like.

covered the entire span of their friendship, from working together on a tv play, to creating newman's own, and then opening the hole in the wall gang camp. it had personal pictures that were a
Kevin
May 25, 2010 rated it liked it
If you didn't already like Paul Newman, you def will after reading this. He seemed to be an unusual hollywood star in that he did things he wanted to do his way even if it was outside the box. His sense of humor, his loyalty to his friends and his passion for helping others really shines through in this book.
Saucy Red
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book surprised me . A E Hotchner's writing was intelligent , funny and genuine. His portrayal of Paul seemed honest, heartfelt and warm .
It was an enjoyable read from start to finish and had me laughing out loud many times.
The book also inspired me to look up the Hole In The Wall Gang camp that the proceeds from the Newman's Own Salad Dressing go to. ( Camp started by Newman and Hotchner).
Highly recommended as light reading that will inspire, enlighten and entertain. Especially so if you
Kathy
Mar 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this tale of friends who did good for the world. I liked hearing such wonderful things about Paul Newman who I have admired for his character and commitments. Hotchner really brings this alive in describing their friendship and the starting of Newman's Own together and the Hole in the Wall Gang camp and its offshoots. Sad that Paul wasn't aroung longer but so glad Hotchner is to share it with us.
David
Apr 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hotchner, Hemingway's chief biographer and Newman's partner in the food business, has crafted a series of loving vignettes of their fifty-year friendship. I was a littled troubled by the lenghty verbatim quotes of Newman's exact words from decades-old conversations, but all-in-all, this is a nice little book.

The chapters about the development of the salad dressing/pasta sauce/popcorn ventures were fascinating. Paul Newman would have enjoyed this portrait.
Gerri
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful caring man! The world was a better place because of him and his honesty, actions and giving. Of course I loved Paul Newman from the time I was a teen, but grew to admire him over my life. This book gave an honets look from a friend's relationship with the man.

Thanks Dee for the gift.
Mark Schuliger
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great, personal look at one of the great actors, and more importantly, humanitarians of our age. I'm a huge Newman fan, so I enjoyed this immensely. Your milage may vary.
In any case, this book is sure to leave you with a new respect for the man.
Nancy
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Handsome, beautiful blue eyes, great actor, phenomenal race car driver. All apply to Paul Newman who made ua women believe those intense blue eyes were for us! But how many saw the love and compassion in those eyes and the real Paul Newman. This book written by his friend and partner in those ventures most important to Paul gives a very personal account of the compassion in the man. The stories behind the Newman's Own food line and the Hole in the Wall camp are told by the guy beside him in both ...more
Rogue Reader
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-writing
The background and details of the Newman's Own brand, and Newman's long time relationship with A.E. Hotchner. Meh.
Cindi
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Easy read. Inside look at Paul Newman.
Ron Brown
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I started to read this book because I have always been an admirer of Paul Newman and I have enjoyed many of his films. I read Michael Feeney Callan’s, “Robert Redford, The Biography” which I had found to be interesting and informative about Redford the person and the actor. I was expecting the same with this book. It was not to be. After the first 40 pages I had my doubts about A.E. Hotcher. It appeared that the text would be a chummy hagiography where Hotcher gets to travel in Newman’s shadow ...more
Jim Dooley
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
By definition, a memoir is “a record of events written by a person having intimate knowledge of them and based on personal observation” … which is an exact description of what the reader will find in this book. It is not a biography as it has too many gaps in the narrative, and chronology comes and goes. It is closer to a “which reminds me” recollection. Consequently, I felt that I knew much more about the thought processes of Paul Newman than I would from reading a mere recounting of his life.

Simon
So meh, I guess I'm not a huge fan of all biographies. This book was still a wonderful insight to the famous Actor Paul Newman.

I had only ever heard of the man when I had seen Cars in 2006, and I remember being extremely sad upon hearing of his death because I knew that if a Cars 2 was made, which did actually happen in 2011, Newman's character Doc Hudson would not be in the film.

But way before that, since Cars was Newman's last feature film ever. I got to learn about how he met his best friend
Roberta
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a rollicking, funny book! Hotchner is from St. Louis, and I loved his King of the Hill about his life here. Hotchner shares more in this book about his selling lemonade and soda in a little stand on South Kingshighway when he was a boy. A Nehi representative came along and offered him as much soda as he could sell if he would get a refrigerator and help from neighbor kids. He writes that the bottles had a white logo of a woman's knee and her garter around it--"knee high." I kept thinking ...more
Jessi Collier Wakefield
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It took me a bit of time to get into the cadence and flow of this book. Hotch jumped around in time and there was actually no "real" flow to it. I took some of the quoted dialogue with a grain of salt, but figured that Hotchner got the spirit of the moment. I was kind of disappointed at first, but very quickly I got the feel of it.
You are not getting great literature when you are reading this. You are not getting a true biography here.

What you are getting are a series of vignette's written
Janet
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a loving tribute written by a dear friend who never saw any flaws in Mr. Newman. The anecdotes are charming and show us that Paul Newman was exactly the man we hoped he'd be... unpretentious and generous.

I listened to the audio version and wished I hadn't...it's narrated by Hotchner, who - like most authors - shouldn't read their work aloud.

PS: Since the two men were equal partners from the time they bottled their first salad dressing, it's curious that Hotchner isn't referred to
Sharon Benham
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I picked it up on a holiday to Florida and saw Paul on the cover. Having been a fan since I was a young child I was looking forward to reading more about him.

It is wonderfully written. Hotch was such a great friend of Paul and his love for him comes through on every page.

Their struggle to start the salad dressing business and the camps was fascinating to read.

Here in the UK we didn't really hear much in the press about all the good works they did, and indeed, continue to do.

Charlene Baumbich
Oct 18, 2010 is currently reading it
Read another book about Newman's Own (not title, which is escaping me right now) by A.E. Hotchner and really enjoyed, so was anxious to get started when I saw this one.

UPDATE: This book is in a pile someplace. I'll be happy to get back to it, when I find it. This is par for my course. :)

UPDATE: Still haven't located the right pile. Well, I think I did once, but I was heavy into something else. Mood swinging more toward fiction right now.
Kay
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting memoir of the friendship between Paul Newman and A. E. Hotchner. It gave a very human account of the actor and the way he lived. Newman and Hotchner not only worked together but were also fishing buddies and started the Newman's Own business together. I enjoyed reading this book and thought it gave a new prespective on who Paul Newman was as a friend and business man as well as being an actor and a race car driver.
Lormac
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
A absolute must for any Paul Newman fan. If, like me, you liked 'The Sting' and 'Butch Cassidy', and buy his salad dressing and the pasta sauce, and admire his philantrophy, you will not consider the time reading/listening to this book time that is wasted. However, if you are looking for inside stories into the making of Paul Newman's movies, or only have a passing knowledge of who Paul Newman is and what he did, then skip this book.
Jane Patterson
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a book about a 53 year friendship that ended with their charties netting over $300 million dollars + a wonderful camp for children with cancer. It's a glimpse into the life of Paul Newman and A.E. Hotchner, who is from St.Louis. After reading about the "Newman's Own" products I went right out and bought salad dressing (the item that started the corporation) and salsa. I'm still looking for the Lemonade
Laurie
Apr 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
The title on my book is different. It is called "Paul and Me". I am not sure which title is the most recent. This book is special to me because I am friends with the author's brother, Selwyn Hotchner. I enjoyed his accounts of growing up in St. Louis, especially the story about his lemonade stand on Kingshighway. I was very moved by the work he and Paul did for charity and how they gave all the profits away from the Newman's Own business to charity.

Johnvano
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
A sweet reminiscence. Most enjoyable was the half about the Newman's Own start and success. Not a literary work, but an easy treat. Also not an exhaustive treatment of Newman (my favorite film of his didn't even get a mention) but a reflection on a friendship. In stark contrast to the Johnny Carson book I just finished from his friend/lawyer.
Caryl
Aug 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Paul was a heartthrob movie star for me and I enjoyed listening to Hotchner's memoir of their friendship. The book dragged a bit in the beginning but the account of their outstanding success with Newman's Own was fun. What a crazy business story. If you listen, don't fail to get the book too ---to see the photos.
Wendolyn
Oct 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I picked this book up because I admired Paul Newman for his sparkling spirit, vigor and philanthropy. This personal account helped fill out his life story. I loved the photos of Paul hamming it up with the author.

A question for an editor: If a 50-year-old conversation is in quotes, should we take it as remembered word-for-word?
Miss Kelly
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, sad at the end. I learned a lot about Paul Newman. He was more than just an actor. He was a husband ( I think he was married 5o years), a father who lost his son to an over-dose, down to earth guy who liked to cook and race cars.
Helped start up a camp for kids with cancer. He ended up dying of cancer and old age. Not a quieter! From Ohio.
Chris
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a good book to listen to when driving--easy to follow. There was much more about their business venture with the salad dressing, and forming the charity, than there was about his movie career, which is why I gave it 3 stars. I would have liked to know more about his person life. This was more about the author reminiscing about various antidotes of their life.
Joyce
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, biography, memoir
An affectionate memoir of 53 years of friendship and a look at the fun-loving unpretentious actor with more emphasis on his amazing philanthropy that his star power. Hotchner reads, and while he's by no means a skilled narrator, his respect for his friend makes these very personal recollections work.

• Hounded (Andy Carpenter #12)
  • In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper
  • All the Lonely People
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? Big Questions from Tiny Mortals About Death
  • Dachshund Through the Snow (Andy Carpenter #20)
  • Michelle Obama: A Life
  • Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard
  • Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)
  • Bark of Night (Andy Carpenter #19)
  • Rescued (Andy Carpenter, #17)
  • One Dog Night (Andy Carpenter #9)
  • Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)
  • Deck the Hounds (Andy Carpenter #18)
  • The Truths We Hold: An American Journey
  • Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions
  • The Seven Dials Mystery (Superintendent Battle, #2)
  • The Taliban Shuffle: Strange Days in Afghanistan and Pakistan
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter #1)
A. E. Hotchner is the author of many books and plays. He graduated from Washington University Law School in 1941, practiced law briefly, then served in the Air Force as a military journalist. After his stint in the armed forces, Hotchner met Ernest Hemingway, and the two spent the next 14 years as close friends. Hotchner is best known for Papa Hemingway, his 1966 biography of Ernest Hemingway, ...more