Start by marking “Embrace” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  657 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
When Aubrey returns home after many years away, he is welcomed back with the extravagant gift of a Pet he never wanted and secrets he never dreamed existed...

Many years ago, the race of creatures once known as 'vampires' agreed to surrender their freedom, rather than face eventual annihilation. They exist now as Pets to the lords and ladies of high society, forced to serv
Paperback, 1st Edition, 222 pages
Published October 10th 2009 by Less Than Three Press (first published October 1st 2009)

☙ percy ❧
this was a nice, short historical fantasy with a twist on the vampire master/pet relationship - this time it's the vampires being kept as pets, not the humans.

although the lore behind it did make sense, it didn't make quite enough sense. still, it wasn't plot holey enough to cause a massive problem, just a little bit of a one.

there were two main romances here, one a m/m and one a m/m/m, and both were pretty angsty but had a happy ending, which as some of you may know, is my favourite sort of r
ttg
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars – This was an overall fun fantasy romance with a neat twist on vampires (and servants) that gave you two developing love stories (although I was only really interested in one of them.)

Love story #1! Young scholar Aubrey returns home to his father’s estate, only to find out that he has been gifted “a pet”, a blood-drinking human-like creature that the wealthy are apt to keep as part of their status. Aubrey has no need for his new pet, and finds the practice of enslaving someone distaste
Alexa
Feb 05, 2018 marked it as avoid-because-author  ·  review of another edition
edit: I recently found out that the (female) author of this thinks that m/m is primarily for women and gay men shouldn't say anything about it, which, honestly 0% surprises me after reading this book. while I did get some enjoyment out of Embrace (especially the second part where things improve a little), it has always felt fetishistic, and I'm going to remove my rating.

I'm leaving my review up because it details some of the things that are very wrong with this book.

I received a copy through N
Ayanna
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not quite sure what to think of this one. It was different from any other vampire book I'd read before, but in a good way, I think. It was actually pretty clever and creative.

The characters...they are numerous, but complex in their own rights. But not quite. I get the feeling they are, but they aren't. It's not something I can put my finger on, but the underlying feeling of... I don't know. It's as if the characters are playing to the stereotypes or character profiles or whatever, but not qu
Bookwatcher
I'm soooo confused! Should I say it's a paranormal-romance? A fantasy? A dark fantasy? A historical romance? Because all of this tags could be perfect to this story... plus one... PERFECT because it's a PERFECT vampire paranormal-romance-dark fantasy-historical book!

Why a Paranormal-romance?
This story will be told by two characters, both humans. Aubrey and Stregoni.
Aubrey is a rich son of a Earl. Back at his home after his studies he will be welcome with a gift.. a pet, as humans call now the
Elisa Rolle
What surprised me of Embrace is that, despite the theme, Vampire retro-fantasy about alternative Master and pet relationship, it was strangely sweet, sometime even pretty, and very romantic. The blurb presents the story of nobleman Aubrey and his vampire pet Ruthven, but it’s also the story of Gille and Stregoni, respectively cousin and best friend of Aubrey, and probably this second love story is the one I like the best.

Aubrey is not the typical nobleman hero, i.e. he is not strong and aloof, w
Lady*M

Certainly unique take on the vampires, who seem to remain true to their nature even as slaves. But, their creation and history were vague at best. The reasons they accepted slavery were also unsatisfactory, especially for such a powerful beings. I've read author's short stories with better world building.

The main problem for me were the two couples - I couldn't buy their relationships at all. Aubrey and Ruthven didn't work for me because Aubrey was manipulated by his "pet" from beginni
Mara Ismine
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Vampires are slaves and bound to the first human whose blood they drink. It is very fashionable to have a Pet, as vampires are now called. The last thing Aubrey wants when he goes home, after several years at college, is a Pet. Especially one as attractive and troublesome as Ruthven. Aubrey wishes that he could leave again before he is even through the front door. His best friend, Stregoni, and his delicate sister, Carmilla, are his only hope of staying sane. His father is as cold and distant as ...more
Valentina Heart
I must admit I expected more from this one. Characters were very intriguing and sweet but there was just not enough said about them. I wanted to know more and see more, but it was not to be.
The plot on the other hand was very unsatisfying. Not very thought through and it lacked the author's usual love for detail. It also stole from the characters and annoyed the hell out of me.

Another thing that I couldn't get used to was switching from Stregoni's to Aubrey's POV. It really disrupted the story a
Cole Riann

For how great this story is, especially the world-building, which Megan Derr always excels at, I found the pacing to be a bit strange. 3/4 of the story had passed and I felt like a whole lot hadn't really happened. For the storyline, the novella is pretty short, but I suppose I wished the story had filled out a bit more, especially with all the world-building had to offer. It almost felt as if this were the beginning of a several part story, however, I don't know if that is true, or wi
Susan
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Bookwatcher
Shelves: free, mm-read, z-2012
This turned out to be a much more complicated story than it first appeared to be. The interactions between all the characters are rich and fascinating. I have to say, I did feel more for Stregoni and Gille and their relationship became the centre of the book for me. It was a refreshing take on the vampire story and I would love to see more stories set in this world.
Raymond Mathiesen
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Embrace by Megan Derr

Embrace

A dull life in the country?

Aubrey is returning to his home in the country after several years away studying. All that awaits him at home seems to be a bad tempered and dominant father, Sangre, a sick (but much loved) sister, Carmilla, and a very quiet and uninteresting life. The first person Aubrey meets is his friend, Stregoni, the family doctor. Aubrey hears from his friend that, much to his dislike, he is to be given a Pet Aubrey, a servant vampire, Ruthven.

Megan Derr has written a ch
llv
Rating: 3 stars
There were two main protagonists in this story. Aubrey who is listed in the blurb and Stregoni who is not. I think I would have been much happier with this book, if it had been about Stregoni exclusively. I really liked his story arc and him as a character specifically. I felt for him throughout the book and was really glad that he got his HEA at the end. Aubrey on the other hand, I could not stand. I found him to be a whiney, obnoxious character and I couldn’t wait to finish with
Stephanie
3.5*

I'm very conflicted by this book.
It's a great story line, but there just seems to be something missing. Like this maybe one of the author's first stories ever written and it needs a good clean-up and makeover.

I'm not sure about Ruthven. I feel like there is so much more story to hear, like he still has so many secrets. The story starts off mainly about Aubrey, but is told in multiple POVs. So there's a lot of Stregoni and Gilles. (and Francois, of course) I just feel like Gilles dominated
Relly
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, a-2018-read
Intriguing

4 ⭐

I enjoyed this one, it wasn’t the best take on vampires I’ve read but it definitely was enjoyable. It kept me intrigued and entertained throughout the book.
While Aubrey’s character was not my favourite, he didn’t really annoy me, I just didn’t find him interesting. He reminded me of poor little rich boy, given a pet he didn’t want, boo hoo poor you. And I felt that Ruthven’s secret played out for too long. I liked the resolution just wish we could have got there quicker.
I enjoyed
Lissel
It was a nice story, very much in the style of Megan Derr.
I did notice it could have been edited more thoroughly, since there were several errors that could have been easily fixed.
I found myself more interested in the StregoniXGilleXFracoise story line.
Overall, I had a good time reading it.
Sammy Goode
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I must begin by admitting to a slight fascination with vampires…no, not the Edward Cullen of Twilight type, more the mysterious, hunky, really hot kind…and Megan Derr provides me with the perfect example of just such a creature in her novel Embrace.

Embrace is set in an undetermined country during what appears to be the Victorian age. There is talk of gentry and commoners. There is an allusion to “poppy fever”—a quaint expression used to describe opiate (laudanum) addicts. And there is the most i
ReviewerLarissa
**Review for Bookwinked

Yes! A new, old story by Megan Derr! Embrace is a revised and re-edited. I like stories about vampires and especially the take this author has on them. If I read the story just for me I would have rated this a lot higher, but as this is a review I have to be objective, so here goes.

Embrace is told from Aubrey’s point of view who’s just returning home after studying in the city. He’s not exactly keen to go home, because after the death of his mother and her pet his father b
L-D
Around 3.5 stars

Megan Derr is fast becoming one of my favorite writers, but of all her books, this may be one of my least favorites. That's not to say I didn't like it, just that it isn't on par with her other works. The story was an interesting take on Vampires. In this society, Vampires are known as "pets" and are only owned by the privileged upper class. Aubrey has just returned home after 5 years away and is gifted a pet, Ruthven, from by his father, Sangre, and cousin, Gille.

This book was i
Josephine
This is why I love Megan Derr. She can make a brilliant story out of a very simple plot/idea - and turn them into something complicated and different. That's what sets her books apart from the others of the same theme.

Embrace is like that. At a glance, you may think that this is just another vampire story. But it isn't. I really don't know how she does it. But just like her other works that I've managed to read so far, reading a page meant wanting to turn it to the next page and not putting it d
Deeze
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting turn on the Vampire theme.

I was a little hesitant to start this one as I prejudged the whole Pet theme. So it sat on my computer mostly forgotten, but eventually my love for this author won out and I gave it a try. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised.

I admit Gille and Stegoni captured my interest a little more than Aubrey and Ruthven. I guess I just really love a couple that refuse to admit they care for each other. I knew there was more to Gille than we first see but I wa
Ashley♥Alexis
is there a sequel?!!! what can I say about this book? if i had to compare this to the other books in this genre ive read, i would say this book was lacking, there was just not enough romance and relationship development to label this as m\m. That being said, I freaking loved the story and enjoyed the characters. As primiarily fantasy, the author did an amazing job building the world and weaving this tale. The story was interesting and fast pace enough not to drag. The characters were great and I ...more
MsMiz (Tina)
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt-all
Lent - Kindle

This is one of those books I hate to put under my m/m category since it was so much more than that. What an interesting take on vampires - the story is well written and unique (refreshing also comes to mind).
Miriki
The love-hate relationship between Gille and the doctor was more entertaining than that of the MCs'.
Marin
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The idea of this book was good and decently executed, but I wish the word and character building was stronger and that there was more to this than just one book.
The summary only mentioned Aubrey and it was slightly jarring to follow a different character (Stregoni) so soon, and for it to delve into that side starting with a threesome. I wish their sides of the story were in separate books so that each side might get more "screen time" and flesh out their relationships more. I found myself extrem
Loren
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like many romance readers out there, I suffer from vampire fatigue. This trope has been beaten to death over the years and I've about reached the end of my rope. That being said, I adore Megan Derr and the premise sounded unique so I decided to give it a try. I'm very glad I did.
This is a story of slowly unraveling mysteries, hidden motivations and plenty of intrigue. I fully admit I stayed up way too late trying to get just a few more pages in. While the many characters are not always likable,
P Leslie
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I voluntarily read this book. All opinions stated are solely my own and no one else's*

4 stars

This was an unusual read but it was intriguing and innovative.

The story focused on a threesome (m/m/m) and a couple (m/m). However, I found the story only scratched the surface: as the characters and their issues weren’t developed as far as I would have liked.

The threesome scenes were hot and captured Stregoni’s vulnerability and conflicted emotions beautifully.

Ruthven was an intriguing yet mysterio
Magnolia
From Magnolia Reviews: Three Petals

The reprint appears to be completely unchanged from the original, which is good because I did enjoy the original story, but is also bad because none of the issues were solved. I still liked the overall plot and the characterizations of this story, so I do recommend it anyway.

Read the full review on Maggie's website:
cupcakes and bookshelves
An engaging story that drew me in from the start, overall the content and plot generally clever and creative. It was unlike any vampire book I've read. it just needed ... well, more. It felt little undone, like there was more left to be explained and developed, and I would have liked a bit more romance in there too. But despite it's lacking I still enjoyed it.
Dark_Shadow
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
It would have been 5 stars from me if there was more on the couples.
I loved loved loved Francois! Francois and Giles were my favourite. Carrot's angst and then Aubrey and Ruthven were kinda underdeveloped. I wanted more backstory. More from them all.
Just more
  • Living Words
  • Azure Seas & Dragon Isles
  • A Shadow of a Dream
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • The Bonding (Gaven, #2)
  • Dark Lord Seeks Friendship, Maybe More
  • Natural Instincts (Instincts, #1)
  • Darkling Mine
  • The Lodestar of Ys
  • Cethe
  • Undesirable
  • Strange Fortune
  • Consequences (Dominion, #2.1)
  • Mongrel (Mongrel, #1)
  • Blood and Roses
  • Wishbone
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com
More about Megan Derr

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“Any piece of the past is clung to, when it is all you have.” 5 likes
“The weakest are always the cruelest,
in the end.”