Start by marking “Patternmaking for Fashion Design ” as Want to Read:
Patternmaking for Fashion Design

Patternmaking for Fashion Design

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  712 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Renowned for its comprehensive coverage, exceptional illustrations, and clear instructions, this hallmark book offers detailed yet easy-to-understand explanations of the essence of patternmaking. Hinging on a recurring theme that all designs are based on one or more of the three major patternmaking and design principles–dart manipulation, added fullness, and contouring–it ...more
Hardcover, 4th Edition, 805 pages
Published February 10th 2005 by Prentice Hall (first published February 1987)

Sara Musko
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
This is an extremely comprehensive book on patternmaking. It gives you instructions to draft almost anything you could ever want to make. This is the textbook for the patternmaking classes for my fashion program, and it was a good complement to the course, but on its own I believe it would be confusing. Some of the instructions will leave you feeling lost, but overall this is an awesome reference book and super inspiring.
Dana
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read as part of a pattern making class and while the info is good, I don't think I would get as much from the book without a knowledgeable teacher. Some of the instructions are unclear, and the methods are more difficult and yield the same results, and the illustrations are some time ambiguous.
I would still recommend this book though, worth owning!
Darklysewn
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
i actually own the 2nd edition. i reference this book more times than i can count. i have no idea what i would do without it. the best book on basic instruction from begginner to professional. everyone should own a copy of this book who wants to make clothing
Kara
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is a great resource for pattern making. I learned so much. My only complaint is that there are many typos.
Amy
Mar 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall extremely informative, but it's filled with a surprising amount of errata for a 5th edition. Also, some very questionable/hilarious design sensibilities throughout.
Amanda
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
This is a great reference book! I know I will refer to it tons!
Lauren
Jan 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: we-own-the-book
Textbook for the Patternmaking classes I took. Interesting to learn how patterns are constructed.
Aubrey
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent for anyone in fashion design school or anyone who just wants to teach themselves. It is not for beginners (please, have some sewing experience before jumping in. There are no instructions on how to sew garments.) Helen Joseph-Armstrong has provided in-depth information for a technical skill that requires precision and accuracy and you must read her writing in this was as well. Do not skip around or skim the pages, you will not get the information you need. Follow direction ...more
Starla
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1987 edition (for chapters on problems and pattern correction, and dart manipulation and contouring that were left out of the current printing).

Thirty years later this is still a main text for the industry, and wildly useful/informative.
Chinagoromnwachukwu
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
good
Lucy
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My go to book
Jyoti Jain
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing
Amy
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my textbook for pattern-making classes, and I am so glad I had an instructor to explain the process. After going through most of the book through various classes, I found the overall technique to making patterns from this book good. However, my teachers disagreed with some of the instructions because it didn't provide a great fit, so the book is not perfect.
Catherine
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a comprehensive instruction manual on pattern making using imperial measurements. Using the techniques discussed, accompanied by careful diagrams, it is possible to learn to manipulate patterns in order to realise your own designs, although design is not a taught component of the book.

It was my pattern making bible when studying C&G Fashion Design and Tailoring modules.
Heather
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The perfect accompaniment to a pattern drafting course. Comprehensive, easy to understand and the diagrams are easy to follow. Probably not a good one for a complete novice - as a stand alone text, I think you would need a grasp of the concepts to be able to properly understand it.
Sreelekshmi Raj
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a fashion designing student this book has helped me a lot in learning and understanding the basic and advanced concepts in developing a pattern. Hence I recommend this book to all fashion designing students. This will help you greatly.
Heo Mập
i want to read
Mehedi Hasan
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
mother chod amar baler book at fuck
Anne
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sewing
There are much better patternmaking books out there, that also aren't as expensive.
Sivakumar Vaddi
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
jgfhfggjhgchgg
Davepeter
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Sree Prabha
Feb 20, 2015 is currently reading it
i want to be a pattern maker
Ashley
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best pattern book ever!
Ty
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fashion
If you are a fashion designer and you have not seen this book...I don't know what to say. This is a must have. Need to get. Worth the money.. believe me
Alok Kumar
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1
just sarah
Aug 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: always-on-hand
more information than this mum has time to digest, but an awesome volume for those of us who like garment construction & design.
Alison
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would get 5 stars if there was a metric edition!
Sindhuch
May 29, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
good
Rachel
Dec 28, 2013 marked it as sewing-and-patterning
Third edition
Rakesh kumar
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this book is for garment patternmaking.Thx
Banarasi Saree Manufacturers 1 1 Jun 13, 2017 01:20AM
i need your opinion about the book Patternmaking for Fashion Design 2 15 Oct 21, 2012 12:18PM
  • The Art of Manipulating Fabric
  • Vogue Sewing: Revised and Updated
  • How to Make Sewing Patterns
  • 101 Things I Learned in Fashion School
  • Figure Drawing for Fashion Design
  • Fashion Design Course: Principles, Practice, and Techniques: The Practical Guide for Aspiring Fashion Designers
  • Pattern Magic
  • New Complete Guide to Sewing
  • The Fundamentals of Fashion Design
  • Chic & Simple Sewing: Skirts, Dresses, Tops, and Jackets for the Modern Seamstress
  • The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques: Essential Step-by-Step Techniques for Professional Results
  • Fashion Sketchbook