Start by marking “Aussie Rules” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  1,171 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
This Just In: Hell's Officially Breaking Loose

It's bad enough that gutsy pilot Mel Anderson has to clean up after her lovable but completely disorganized best friend and business partner, Dimi, while her certifiable employees make more work than they do. Now, the one man she hoped she'd never see is back and looking for trouble. Scratch that, he is trouble. Amazing, holy
Published January 1st 2009 by Kensington (first published May 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Aussie Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aussie Rules

Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
** 3.5 stars **

Easy reading contemporary with a hot Aussie hero. But it was actually the romance between the secondary characters, Dimi and Danny which piqued my interest.
Bekah
Mar 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jill Shalvis fans
Shelves: read-own, 2011-reads
3.75*

Mel Anderson’s life is flying. Her business is flying; but when Bo Black walks back into her life he puts everything she holds dear in jeopardy. Once a boy she held a major crush on, this Aussie has come back all grown man with a taste for revenge on his tongue. That is until he gets a taste of Mel’s kisses.

I really liked this book. Once I opened it up and got into it, I just didn’t want to put it down. I loved all of Bo’s “G’day Mates” and his swaggering confidence and cocky one liners. I
So far I have enjoyed all of the books I've read by Jill Shalvis. They are witty and fun and the story moves along at a good pace. This one was no exception.
Mel and Bo are both real characters that are likable and have a good chemistry. The secondary characters were all fun, too. They added the extra zing to the story.
There was a bit of a mystery to be solved that kept the characters together, but seemed to be secondary to the main plot line. I liked how all of the characters had to develop to
Notserp2002
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a second from a new to me author that i really enjoyed!
Jane
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to finish this book because I put it aside to read at least one other book. Why? Because I had to read books that had to be returned to the library AND because it just didn't hold my attention. A book has to be really bad for me not to finish reading it. This was not the case with "Aussie Rules," however. But it IS a book I was able to put aside.

Part of the problem, I think, is because I felt it is overly long. I kept hearing myself say, "Oh, just get on with it already, alrig
Stephanie Landis
I was really digging this fun, easy read with enough suspense & mystery to keep me guessing when I realized something-- in the beginning it seemed like pretty much every time the main characters, Bo & Mel, started some sexy time, she would protest or ask him to stop, and Bo would ignore her protests and keep pushing until she gave in and said 'yes' because it was obvious she really wanted him. Sure Bo wasn't aggressive or forceful and if Mel had truly wanted him to stop I think he would ...more
Char
Sep 19, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because it was nominated for a Rita award, and it was a fun read. From Booklist, Mel and Dimi were only 16 when their world fell apart, and for the past 10 years, the young women have been pretending to themselves and everyone else that their mentor and role model, Sally, will be back any time now to resume control of the airport where they've been covering for her all this time. But when Bo Black unexpectedly arrives from Australia looking for Sally to exact vengeance for her theft ...more
Just - The romance reader
Through reading the Wilder series I have been come a devoted fan of Jill Shalvis. I have to admit that I didn't find myself addicted to Aussie Rules in the same way that I have been addicted to the other Shalvis novels I have read, which so far have all been in the Wilder series. However, I wasn't disappointed.

Aussie Rules is a good light read, a great way to kick back and relax. Bo Black is on serious hunk o man, a perfect fantasy, complete with sexy accent and save the day instincts. The char
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
I just plain old didn't care for this one as much. There wasn't anything wrong with it per se. I just didn't care for the heroine or the hero all that much. And if there aren't very likable characters, it's hard to get into a character driven story. I don't really see anything wrong with it, just not anything special either. Still a light sexy contemporary romance, just missed for me on this one. A low three out of five.
Marg
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was worried about having the main male character be Australian but it was better than it could have been. Occasional odd use of the word g'day and too many darlin's but other than that not bad.

this is the last standalone novel that my library has that I hadn't read yet.
Michelle
Dec 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jill Shalvis
Contempory Romance
292 pages

Traann
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really Cute early book by Jill Shalvis. You can see her talent developing here. She is one of my go to authors.
Cait
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Loved this one! And I can't believe that it took me until now to stumble across it. Great read.
Sarah Eiseman
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on Sarahsbookshelf.com:

One of my favorite times during the summer is when I get to read a Jill Shalvis book. She never seems to disappoint and today’s book was no exception. Aussie Rules is an older, single title novel that was published in 2006. It was a fun little novel about a man returning to claim some deeded property and clear his father’s besmirched name. The property is coming to claim is a small air strip run by Mel Anderson and her bestie, Deme. These two were taken u
mer (litsiren)
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cont-rom
I grabbed this because I wanted another dose from Jill Shalvis whilst waiting for new book to release in her Lucky Harbor series.

In my opinion, the premise is not really about love story. It's more like mystery with suspense and added bonus lust. In this book, Bo Black, an Australian hottie and previously joined military came to North Beach to clear his late dad's marred name. Few years back his dad was conned by a woman named Sally, who was very dear to Mel. So Mel here, she loves flying so muc
Jane
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jill-shalvis
Being a huge Jill Shalvis fan I had high expectations from Aussie Rules. Don't get me wrong it was a good book just not as good as a lot of her others.

Mel is a pilot full of gumption and works at North Beach Air, in fact she pretty much runs it. Sally, the owner, has mysteriously disappeared and Mel is unable to reach her. Along comes Bo Black claiming to be the rightful owner of the airstrip and has the deed to prove it.

Mel takes an instant dislike to Bo and doesn't trust him at all. But there
Missy Jane
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a nice surprise. I honestly had high hopes for it because I bought it in bulk and sent a few copies off to my contest winners. However, after reading the blurb I decided to keep a copy for myself and I'm glad I did.
American pilot Mel Anderson has always idolized the woman who fed her love of flying, Sally. Bo Black is an awesome Aussie Mel knew was way out of her league when she met him as a teen. When he comes back as an adult she still feels overwhelmed by him and especially his
Someone, somewhere recommended Jill Shalvis to me as a mystery romance writer that creates characters that are interesting and grown-up, with emphasis on the grown up part. They were mostly right. Here characters are more grown up than the average romance characters. Her books avoid the classic Big Mistake Trap that most romance books fall into.

I liked this book, but I didn't love it. The mystery was definitely backburner here, with the romance and sex at the front. Emphasis on the sex. I don't
Delaney Diamond
This book was funny and sexy, and I liked the hero and heroine a lot. I loved Bo's persistence with Mel. I could so imagine Bo with that charming Aussie accent and sexy grin.

I found the storyline surrounding Sally's disappearance a bit of a stretch (10 years seemed a long time for them to not have a clue and just be hanging in there), but the romance between Bo and Mel was just right. There was so much chemistry between them, and the secondary characters were hilarious.

I felt like I got a bonu
Iris Blobel
It ain't Lucky Harbor!

Let's say I liked it, but didn't love it as much as the Lucky Harbor novels, and comparing isn't really fair, I know.

Bo was no Ty, Mel no Mallory!

Mel, with the help of her crew, has been running the North Beach airport for the last ten years, when her mentor and role model, Sally, disappeared. Then Bo arrives from Australia, claiming the airport is his.

Jill Shalvis' wit shines through, and her ability to put emotions so wonderfully into words. But the story was no pageturne
Elle
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly steamy. Boy I was not expected THAT. It was good to read and just zone out for a while. Nothing too serious. Just one of those books that you like but it isn't really memorable. It is about Mel who is trying to keep afloat an airport. She is at the end of her rope until she meets... the owner? Managing an airport for an absentee owner is just fine with Mel but when she finds that he airport is owned by someone else, then something is definitely wrong. It doesn't help that our Aussie ...more
Thia Finn
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Her

Let me start by saying I love Shalvis' work. I've read prob 90% of her many books!
This was not one of my favorites. The story was just ok. It was well written and had some good characters involved but they didn't have the depth that her characters usually have.
The plot felt loosely woven instead of a tight plot Shavis usually writes.
Will this deter me from buying more of her books? No way! I'll continue to read her work and look forward to starting the Alaska series!
Chris
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I had really mixed feelings about this. I usually really like Shalvis, but so many of her characters in this book are just not likable: Charlene, Al, Ernest, Dimi.

For the first half of the book I really disliked Bo (the main male character). He was so arrogant and cocky. But, when you realized (about halfway thru the book) that he was the only character telling the truth, all of a sudden, I liked him and not Melanie (the female lead).

Bo & Mel have some fun scenes, but overall, it just wasn't
PepsiGirl
Maybe a 3.5 out of 5 stars. I spent half the time being frustrated over Mel and her inability to trust or even be nice to Bo. It bordered on ridiculous. She ran hot and cold so much I doubted any man would put up with her. Her best friend Dimi also had her own issues with one night stand pickups and drinking to forget. I really just didn't buy into the story sorry.
Dana (aNovelAllure)
This one was a good, quick read. The plot was unique and I did enjoy the story. However, oddly enough I didn't get as emotionally connected to the main couple as I usually do. In fact, I was much more interested in the secondary story...what was brewing between Dimi and Danny! Also I was left with some unresolved questions. What happened with Sally? What made her do what she did?
Rachel
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Loved this little story! Fun, easy read. The cast of characters are quirky and lovable!! Mel, Bo, Dimi, Danny, Char and Al. You can't help but love the ragtag bunch! I would love to hang out with the gang all day. Mel is a hoot and strong. Bo is handsome, sweet and that accent YUM. I liked the mystery of what was happening and the perfect blend of humor to go along with it!
Jessi
Has all the hijinks of a Shalvis novel and regular readers will enjoy the byplay between our pilot heroine, Mel Anderson, who's been holding down the airport fort for her friend Sally for the last twelve years, and Bo Black who says that the airport belongs to him.
I didn't love the end but it was a pretty good book overall.
Susan
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Sorry, I just can't join the rave reviews on Aussie Rules (and it's got nothing to do with my hatred of football!). While I did enjoy the romance(s) in the book, the plot line otherwise just seemed too unbelievable to me. And while there probably are some Aussie blokes out there named Bo, it really isn't a name that makes me think of home.

Still I did manage to get to the end!!
Beth
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the small airport setting, which felt authentic, and loved pilot Mel who despite having to struggle to keep her business and employees going, genuinely enjoys her job and isn't ready to let any one take it from her. The chemistry between Mel and Bo was great, and I also enjoyed the side romance. The mystery of Sally was also a fun addition. Good times.
  • Men of Courage II (Men of Courage, #5; Stone/White, #1)
  • To All A Good Night
  • Bad Boys Southern Style
  • You Don't Know Jack (Sexy in NYC, #2)
  • Mother, Please!: What a Girl Wants / The Road Home / Upstairs, Downstairs
  • Kiss Me, I'm Irish
  • More Than Words, Volume 7: Compassion Can't Wait\Someplace Like Home\What the Heart Wants
  • Tall, Dark, and Cajun (Cajun, #2)
  • The Love Shack (Beach House No. 9, #3)
  • Big Girls Don't Cry (Girls Do Or Don't, #3)
  • Letters to a Secret Lover
  • Satisfaction Guaranteed (Mercenary/Goddard Project, #6; Goddard Project, #1)
  • Hot Date
  • Divorced, Desperate and Deceived (Divorced and Desperate #3)
  • Be a Wolf! (Adventures of Wishbone, #1)
  • Slow Burn (NASCAR, #7)

Look for Jill's latest, LOST AND FOUND SISTERS on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's websi
More about Jill Shalvis...