Start by marking “Gen Buy: How Tweens, Teens and Twenty-Somethings Are Revolutionizing Retail” as Want to Read:
Gen Buy: How Tweens, Teens and Twenty-Somethings Are Revolutionizing Retail

Gen Buy: How Tweens, Teens and Twenty-Somethings Are Revolutionizing Retail

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Discover the forces driving the decisions of today's most sought after consumers

According to recent statistics, members of Generation Y shop 25 percent to 40 percent more than the average consumer. In Gen BuY, Yarrow and O'Donnell argue that these voracious and fearless consumers have revolutionized the way Americans shop by turning traditional sales and marketing strategi
Published August 7th 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Gen Buy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gen Buy

Margot
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I don't actually love reading gross oversimplifications and generalizations about my generation with the sole purpose of convincing me to increase my consumption. The authors repeatedly mention how much research they conducted for this book, but it seemed like the same few "revelations" trotted out over and over again. Not much new.

Here are some snippets:
"Gen Yers have known only one world--one in which they can get what they want when they want it."(10)

"Once the mos
Nura Yusof
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a Gen Yer unfortunately. By definition, I was born 4 years too early. And it seems, 4 years is a wider gap than I thought.

Illuminating is how I judge this book as it describes the American Gen Yers so clearly. I must admit that the American Gen Yers are far more sophisticated than other Gen Yers across the globe. I mean, how can a flashlight be an essential item for prom?.....sigh, only in America.

The authors described how retailers are bending over backwards to cater to this group. One

Yarrow, professor of marketing and psychology at Golden Gate University, and O'Donnell, a retail and automotive reporter for USA Today, share the results of their extensive research (including focus groups in several cities across the country) into the buying habits of those born after 1979.

I liked that they distinguished between older (20-something) and younger(teen and tween) members of Gen Y, because that's a distinction I think is very true and not always recognized. They clearly did a lot
Kristen
Right off the bat, I'm going to admit to not reading the additional essays that followed the book. I chose not to because at this point I was full up on information about the spending/buying habits of the groups mentioned in the book.
On the other hand, the book was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. It kept my attention long enough to finish the book minus the short essays at the end. Especially interesting was how the authors used data and facts and combined them with interviews
Chad
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Gen BuY: How Tweens, Teens and Twenty-Somethings Are Revolutionizing Retail" is a very informative book. I would definitely recommend it to any businessperson who has a product or service that is being sold to Gen-Y customers. I also recommend it to any person who wants to learn how companies are using technology to market to potential customers. Furthermore, the authors of the book list many cool websites and apps, making it a useful book for consumers of all ages (especially parents with Gen- ...more
Chris Aylott
Thin study of the millennial generation. Some interesting reporting on how various retailers are adapting to Generation Y, but the authors spend a lot of time harping on how the Yers are idealistic, tuned to technology, and determined to Keep It Real. All of which is true, but it was also true for the Xers, the Baby Boomers, and every teenager I can think of back to Romeo, Juliet, and Arthur Pendragon. Don Tapscott had the same theme, but he had a lot more interesting things to say about it.
Kelly
Some interesting research, but a lot of it is repetitive. I read about lingerie in this book multiple times and how important it is. One plus for this title vs so many others of this ilk - it distinguishes that there is a significant difference in "Gen Y" from those over 21 and those under. We are different worlds.
Agata Seidel
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book- a good dose of insight into teens, their surrounding influences (current pop culture, internet etc.) and how these influences are changing misconceptions of the next big wave of consumer behaviors.
Janice
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this - wish I'd read it when it came out. Some of the marketing tips are getting old but the first part on how Gen Y acquired their particular taste and love of shopping were fantastic. I thought it was an insightful book and I recommend it.
Travis Hodges
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read. A lot of great insight into Generation Y and the future of marketing. Can get repetitive, but a quick read.
Kit Yarrow, Ph.D., is a consumer psychologist who is obsessed with all things related to how, when, and why we shop and buy. She conducts research through her professorship at Golden Gate University and shares her findings in speeches, and consulting work.
More about Kit Yarrow...