Start by marking “Ich bin Legende” as Want to Read:
Ich bin Legende

Ich bin Legende

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  60,464 Ratings  ·  3,705 Reviews
Robert Neville lebt als letzter Mensch auf Erden in einer Welt von Vampiren. Nachts verbarrikadiert er sich in seinem zu einer Festung ausgebauten Haus, tagsüber durchstreift er das Land der Toten auf der Suche nach Nahrung und Waffen. Doch die Vampire können warten …
Published April 1982 by Heyne (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Ich bin Legende, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
thelastword Totally. Although after a while, when his character behaved unlike Will Smith's Robert Neville, I couldn't imagine him as Will Smith, or a blonde…moreTotally. Although after a while, when his character behaved unlike Will Smith's Robert Neville, I couldn't imagine him as Will Smith, or a blonde blue-eyed that he was supposed to be.

Basically Will Smith's Robert Neville >>>> The book's Robert Neville for me.(less)

Nataliya
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I am legend". These words make me shudder. But if you have only seen that Will Smith movie that went 180 degrees on the book's message, the soul-crushing impact of these words will be lost on you.
That makes me sad...

To quote Stephen King, "I think the author who influenced me the most as a writer was Richard Matheson."
This was enough of a recommendation for me to go and dig up this book. And it's great.
(view spoiler)
Frankie
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seen-movie, 2013, usa
I loved this book! Was very creepy to read.
I thought it was brillant from beginning to end.

One of my favourite books of all time ever!
That ending! WOW
Algernon
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

I was going to rate the book a lukewarm 3 stars, but then I looked once more at the date of publication (1954) and reconsidered. A bit of historical perspective, of literary context elevates this novel to the well deserved 'genre classic' status. At the time Matheson published his science-fiction take on the gothic vampire myth, the market was a lot different from today's oversaturated landscape that has largely trivialized the subject and gave it a curious teenage romance slant. Even bringing i
Jim
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just re-read this after watching some of the movies based on it. It's truly a chilling book. It's an apocalyptic novel. The vampire plague has destroyed our society. Much of the book focuses on our hero's loneliness. When he finds an uninfected dog, his attempts to befriend it are almost pathetic & truly heart-wrenching. It's well worth reading.

There are 3 movies that I know of that are based on this book.

The Last Man On Earth starring Vincent Price in the mid 60's. This follows the book
Matt
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not much of what you might call a “vampire guy.” By which I mean both that I am not a vampire, or a guy who likes vampires or vampire-themed endeavors. Thus it stands to reason that I never would have read Richard Matheson’s I Am Legend had not the wildcard of my book club chosen it as this month’s selection. Frankly, I was a little underwhelmed by the choice. The critical “blurbs” did not help matters along. Dean Koontz said it was the “most riveting vampire novel since Dracula,” which is g ...more
Emma
This was creepy and sad too. I don't think I would have lasted long as the last person alive. I would have just given up and let myself get caught! The vampires of this story are quite zombie like, I thought. How events turn out in the end surprised me.
Morgue Anne
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scifi and Horror Fans
Tfitoby
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Blurb: Robert Neville is the last man left alive on Earth...but he is not alone. Every other man, woman and child on the planet has become a vampire. Neville spends his days scavenging for food and supplies, and hunting down the undead in their lairs in the ruins of civilisation. At night, he becomes the hunted and barricades himself in his home, waiting and praying for the dawn.

I Am Legend was one of the first, and certainly the most bril
Kat  Hooper
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I don’t like vampire novels much, so I wasn’t planning to read Richard Matheson’s classic vampire story I am Legend which was published in 1954, is also known by the title The Omega Man, and is, of course, the basis for the movie I am Legend.

But then I recently read and was enthralled by two other books by Matheson: The Incredible Shrinking Man and Steel and Other Stories. I realized that The Incredible Shrinking Man wasn’t really so much about a man who w
Duane
Richard Matheson may be the most underrated genre writer ever. When you look at a list of his books- I Am Legend, Somewhere In Time, Hell House, Duel: Terror Stories, What Dreams May Come- just to name a few, you realize how unique and diverse his talent was.

This novel, I Am Legend, a perfect little bricolage of apocalyptic, dystopian, sci-fi, horror, vampire, zombie, is probably his best known work, although I'm partial to Somewhere in Time (Bid Time Return) being such a romantic sentimentalist
Megan Baxter
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet again, I've been breaking the rules. This time, it wasn't on purpose! But I went into reading I Am Legend knowing the ending, knowing the twist. Years ago, you see, my husband had wanted to talk about the book, probably when the most recent adaptation to movie form had come out, and I am well known for not reading horror, so it wasn't an unreasonable assumption that I would never read this.

So, wrong, in the long run, but it made reading this for the first time a very different experience tha
Carol.
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of classic apocalypse
Recommended to Carol. by: SciFi and Fantasy Book Club monthly read

There are some excellent reviews out there. I know I was complaining about sqeeing and gifs recently, but I can't help but think a classic book like this could use a little modern reviewing.

description

Summary:
I'm a little mixed in my reading reactions to a novella that feels more like a self-conscious allegorical tale than truly innovative storytelling. The short, choppy prose suited the narrator, but gave a more limited ambiance to the setting. Given the protagonist Neville's relatively easy ability in m
Mike (the Paladin)
This is another one of those times when there are people who if they could would give this book far more than the allowed 5 while if I were rating it on "enjoyment alone" I'd be looking to give it negative stars. I realize this is one of the "classics" of science fiction (or science fantasy)and I don't care. I read it years ago and while I find the writing in places rates my recognition of it's quality...I don't care for the book.

Like some of Matheson's other works there are some questions that
7jane
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Los Angeles, about 22 years into the future (Jan. 1976 - Jan. 1979 in this book; copyright 1954, which really shows in some of the book's views). After the 'plague' finished in 1975, Robert Neville seems to be the only human left immune and alive. He's not anywhere like Will Smith, lookwise, English-German man in late 30s with blue eyes, blond going bald (and later with a beard). When we meet him he's been living at his present place for 5 months. Trying to survive, and wondering what caused eve ...more
Justin
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for all of the Will Smith jokes. It's going to be difficult, but I will refrain from including him in this review.

2. Stuff I liked - Matheson does an amazing job in describing the situation Neville has deal with as the only person left in the world. The scariest parts for me where when Matheson deals with themes like isolation and loneliness. That stuff was much more terrifying than the vampires (more on them later). There were entire chapters of
Stephanie
Truly chilling!! Gave me nightmares and I love to read horror! I can't wait to read more of his works. SOON!!!

Perhaps Stephen King says it best: I think the author who influenced me the most as a writer was Richard Matheson. Books like I Am Legend were an inspiration to me.

When reading this book, keep in mind that it was written in 1954... well before the recent zombie and vampire craze...

It is set in a post-Apocalyptic 1976 -- where by a trick of fate Robert Neville is the only living human rem
Vane J.
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, vampires, 2015

I enjoy being alone. There's some kind of peace in loneliness. I'm never more happy than when I'm by myself. I've said, though, that if the loneliness if forced upon me, it's not so glorious. Robert Neville's situation is similar to this latter one.

In first instance, when I came upon this book, it reminded me of The Last Man by Mary Shelley. In both books, the hero is, or believes to be, the last man on Earth. The rest of humanity had died because of a plague. In TLM it was some cold, and in IA
Johann
"The strength of the vampire is that no one will believe in him."

Robert Neville is the last man on earth...or is he? Following the outbreak of an incurable plague that has mutated every other human on earth into bloodthirsty, nocturnal creatures, Robert Neville must scavenge for food and supplies during the day, whilst hiding in his boarded-up, vampire-proof home at night. Living a solitary life for so long is not easy, and so he is constantly on the look-out for fellow survivors...

This was a bu
Kimberly
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the genre
I AM LEGEND, by Richard Matheson is one of his "longer" stories, that I hadn't previously read. This is a vampire tale, but one very unique to this genre. The last survivor in a plague that left humanity dead--or, undead--Richard Neville has spent the past three years learning everything he can about what caused this change. Many are the days when he wonders why he even bothers to go on, when everyone around him is "lost".

". . . In a world of monotonous horror there could be no salvation in wil
Graeme Rodaughan
One guy against a world filled with vampires.

I went into this book with an expectation of action. When the story had action scenes, they were done very well, and there is a wonderfully suspenseful and thrilling chase scene in the first half of the book. However, action, suspense and thrills were absent for most of the rest of the book.

There is sad reminiscing of his past life.

There is a long drawn out sequence of attempting to befriend a stray dog.

There is lots of time spent getting drunk, list
Penny
I never would have expected the internal dialogue of the last man alive to be as captivating as this book was. Robert Neville is alone, the last uninfected human left as far as he knows, and every day is a struggle to keep it that way. His anger, depression, frustration and fear are thrown up against the desire to live almost every moment of every day and there are some when you're not sure which will win.

Some of the issues brought up are unique to the fact that Robert Neville is a man alone in
Dirk Grobbelaar
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, wife-books
A novel that has been both heavily criticized and revered, I Am Legend straddles an uneasy line between Horror and Science Fiction. However, there is no denying its influence, nor its simple charm. In comparison with some of the 'vampire' drivel being served up today, this little novel is indeed legend. It ranks with Salem's Lot as one of my favourite reads on the vampire mythos. I know that the science isn't sound, but Matheson has done a terrific job of introducing new ways to broach the subje ...more
Bel
May 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Four fifths of the way through and the only thing on my mind was how incredibly boring and one-dimensional Robert Neville is. You would think that someone forced into solitude and surrounded by death and insanity would have a wonderfully colourful and twisted mind - if you're going to have a book revolving around a single character, make him a really good one. So, it wasn't until he began chasing, abusing and kidnapping a woman in the name of science (everything in this book was tunnel-viewed 'i ...more
Anna
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Εκπληκτικό βιβλίο που έγινε μια επίσης εξαιρετική ταινία με το Will Smith. Εγώ πρώτα είχα δει την ταινία, αλλά - φυσικά - το βιβλίο είναι καλύτερο. Όχι μόνο γιατί γενικά τα βιβλία έχουν περισσότερες εικόνες από τις ταινίες και διεγείρουν τη φαντασία περισσότερο, αλλά και κάποιες μικρές διαφορές για μένα αναδείκνυαν περισσότερο κάποια συναισθήματα έναντι άλλων. Για παράδειγμα: Ο Will Smith (συγχωρήστε μου ότι ξεχνάω το όνομα του χαρακτήρα, πάνε χρόνια που διάβασα το βιβλίο, αφήστε που λόγω της τα ...more
Carlos De Eguiluz
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Richard Matheson, la mayor influencia de Stephen King, idealiza en esta novela un mundo post-apocalíptico en el que, el último hombre de la tierra (Robert Neville), lucha por su supervivencia en un lugar donde la esperanza parece perdida.

En unas cuantas páginas, Matheson logra captar la atención del lector, lo que lo lleva a reflexionar, e incluso, a meditar sobre el curso de la sociedad actual, el pensamiento humano, y la verdadera esencia del "ser".

Un libro que simplemente no quería terminar
Jim
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By now you must already recognize the title “I am legend”, but like myself and possibly many others, you know it from the 2007 blockbuster film. The movie is great, even after reading the book I still believe that ( I understand why they made some of the changes ), but by all means it is not an adaptation of Matheson’s classic tale. Sure, both are set in a post apocalyptic world and show us how Robert Neville, the last human alive, tries to survive. Also both stories feature at some moment a dog ...more
Horace Derwent
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best vampire novel since Dracula, my point

A man negotiates with himself and never compromises

A man fights against the whole world, what makes him yonder survival

A man tries to save all but just forgets to save himself

Not "forget" maybe, he's just too busy to live and then he loses it and gets lost, that's worse than death

Such a great and encourageous book, no wonder Stephen King loves it this much, it makes him go banana!
F.R.
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading a modern classic for the first time, one which has been adapted into a number of movies and to a certain extent has entered the culture, is a fine way to set oneself up for disappointment. How can it possibly match its reputation? How can it live up to the reader’s preconceptions? How can it meet expectations?

I’m pleased to say that Richard Matheson’s ‘I am Legend’ is a fantastic read which more than deserves its good name.

Despite the various adaptations making the monsters more zombie-l
Matt
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Neville, a scientist who is one of the last people on earth. He has to survive and try to find a cure to these vampires, which is a hard task to pass, as he struggles to find why the crosses, sun, garlic are harm to the monsters.

I Am Legend, one of the kings in horror novels. It's so cool to think of all the writers inspired by this book, let's just name a few, Stephen King, Robert Bolch, Ray Bradbury, Dean Koontz, e.tc.

Richard Matheson perfectly portrays the act of loneliness with the re
Apokripos
Aug 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: classic horror olvers
Recommended to Apokripos by: Stephen King
I am Legend by Richard Matheson (A Book Review)

After reading this masterpiece by Richard Matheson, I was overtaken by a great feeling of regret; regret that I had to wait for so long just to sink my (fanged) teeth into this magnificent post-apocalyptic vampire story; regret that I saw the recent movie adaptation of the same title first before reading it. But then again the movie is a good one, in itself.

If you haven’t heard of nor made aware of this book’s existence, then most likely you’ve see
Book Review 1 1 Sep 21, 2017 01:35PM
Castle Dracula: I Am Legend - Richard Matheson (August) 123 31 Sep 12, 2017 06:13AM
The Gothic Novel ...: I Am Legend 13 18 Sep 07, 2017 07:25PM
All About Fantasy!: I am legend 5 8 Aug 16, 2017 12:17PM
paced reading hor...: Buddy Read - I am Legend Richard Matheson 12 11 Nov 29, 2016 06:25AM
Drink & Discuss: October 2016: I Am Legend 6 4 Oct 29, 2016 03:51PM
  • Nicolas Eymerich, inquisitore
  • Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
  • The Genocides
  • Arslan
  • The Purple Cloud (Frontiers of Imagination)
  • This Is the Way the World Ends
Born in Allendale, New Jersey to Norwegian immigrant parents, Matheson was raised in Brooklyn and graduated from Brooklyn Technical High School in 1943. He then entered the military and spent World War II as an infantry soldier. In 1949 he earned his bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Missouri and moved to California in 1951. He married in 1952 and has four children, three of w ...more
More about Richard Matheson...

“Full circle. A new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.” 206 likes
“In a world of monotonous horror
there could be no salvation in wild dreaming.”
36 likes