Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine

Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine

(Nate the Great #15)

Nate the Great hates mushy stuff. But when he spies a big red paper heart taped to the outside of Sludge's doghouse, Nate knows he must help out his favorite pooch. Wh has left Sludge a secret valentine?

It's a mystery until Nate finds out his friend Annie is missing a valentine. The case seems easy. Nate is relieved. No more mushy stuff. That's what he thinks.
Published January 1st 1995 by Yearling (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine

Start your review of Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine
Melanie Hansen
Apr 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Let me just say that my 7 yr. old son has read A LOT of Nate The Great books. We had a book party for this book just before Valentines day. We had a friend that is named Nate dress up as Nate The Great and greet the kids as they came, give them their detective hats and magnifying glass, then take them on a "treasure hunt" that included a pancake breakfast break then ended with them finding Sludge (the treasure which was a dog stuffed animal for each child--really cheap ones). They did some of ...more
Kathryn
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: valentines-day
Cute and fun! The little mystery adds an interesting element to the usual "kids making Valentine's" theme and Nate is so funny and determined and "great." I think this one would especially appeal to boys.
Jane Maple
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anthony
Nate the Great, Junior Detective, doesn't like anything mushy, but when he spots a valentine on Sludge's doghouse he decides to find out who put it there. Annie asks him to find her missing valentine that she made for her brother Harry, so now he has two cases involving valentines. The clues are slim, but he puts on his detecting cap, has a plate of pancakes, and is off to solve this dual mystery.
Mr.Zhou
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good one.The ability of Nate to fit pieces are just so great.
Rylee
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book was funny how he had to solve two cases at one time.
Alex
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because I like Valentine's Day. I also enjoyed this book because I liked the part when Nate the Great found out who sent a Valentine to Sludge. It was Harry.
Dolly
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Now that we've read this book, we've completed the entire Nate the Great series by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat and Marc Simont. We started reading these stories a few years ago and our girls liked them a lot, especially our youngest. So it was a little bittersweet to conclude the series, but I thought that it would be nice to read this last one on Valentine's Day.

The story was interesting and fairly typical for the series. We enjoyed reading this story together and we are a little sad to say
Michelle. D.
Sep 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: was-awful
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should ...more
Lisa Cohn
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Michael, age 5, loves all the Nate the Great books. He likes this one because of all the silliness related to Valentine's Day--and all the confusion related to who gave who a valentine. It's one of the harder-to-solve Nate the Great mysteries, he says. Watch his YouTube book review here:
Erin
Read this to First Graders for Valentine's Day. Longer-than-a-picture-book, shorter-than-a-chapter-book style may have been a bit much, but many of them took out other Nate the Great books afterwards. I like Nate's voice and that he eats pancakes when he's thinking.
Kristine Hansen
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous story with a really hilarious ending. Loved it!

Also, the added bonus of the extra Valentine's day things make me wish I had a copy of the book so I could keep the recipes and craft ideas. This book is perfect to enjoy with your child for Valentine's Day. Highly recommended!
Rachel
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this book !
Eliza Fox
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There was two mysteries that were actually one. I liked both mysteries. They were so fun.
Rachel Richardson
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read Nate the Great as a child, and they still hold up surprisingly well.
Lacey
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Too wordy for a two year old but she picked it out herself so I read the short version, skipping a lot. It's a cute story though!
Shelley
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Nate the Great cannot face what is hanging on his door. Maybe it will fall off, rot, die. I gave this book to my valentine, my son, who was born on that very day eight years ago.
Cmfzebra
May 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
I hate it because I don't like Nate the Great.
yusi
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Someone gave Sludge a valentine card
but Nate didn't know who gave it.
He went out to know who gave it.
And Annie lost her Valentine card for his brother.
Nate had solve two cases this time.
Deborah Harris
Dec 30, 2013 added it
Shelves: a25, ar-3
AR Quiz No. 9286 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Erin Bartos
Mar 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
one of my very favorite valentine's books.
Kelli
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another great one! Love Nate's voice and so do my kids. at 2 and 4 it's great that something like this keeps them interested.
Earline
When Nate the Great's dog Sludge receives a mysterious valentine, Nate the Great is on the case.
Seth
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: by-myself
Sludge got a valentine that said I love you sludge more then fudge. Nate the great had to find out who it was from . It was from Harry.
Nadira Brown
Ella
Feb 07, 2017
Maggie Luo
Feb 13, 2018

• Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • The Unwilling Umpire (A to Z Mysteries, #21)
  • Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride
  • The Jaguar's Jewel (A to Z Mysteries, #10)
  • I Really Like Slop! (Elephant & Piggie, #24)
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Walk the Dog
  • The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4)
  • Christmas in Camelot (Magic Tree House, #29)
  • Listen to My Trumpet! (Elephant & Piggie, #17)
  • I Lost My Tooth! (Unlimited Squirrels, #1)
  • Bones and the Football Mystery
  • The Good for Nothing Button (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren (Junie B. Jones, #7)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Junie B. Jones and That Meanie Jim's Birthday (Junie B. Jones, #6)
  • Snowflake Bentley
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat was an American children's writer. She wrote more than 130 books for children and teens, and her books have been translated into several languages. The Library of Congress chose many of her books as book of the year, and her books were frequently Literary Guild selections.

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue