October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween

October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  588 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Classic novellas, never-before-published stories, essays on the history, literature, and films of Halloween, and real-life memories of October 31st-from today's best practitioners of fear:

Dean Koontz * Peter Straub * Poppy Z. Brite * Rick Hautala * Steve Rasnic Tem * Elizabeth Engstrom * Thomas Ligotti * Gary A. Braunbeck * Jack Ketchum * Thomas F. Monteleone * Hugh B. Cav...more
Published September 3rd 2002 by Roc Trade (first published September 3rd 2000)

The Halloween Tree by Ray BradburyGods of The Nowhere by James TipperThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Bo HamptonSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyDracula by Bram Stoker
Best Halloween Books
25th out of 347 books — 358 voters
Baby Teeth by Dan RabartsFresh Fear by William CookRead the End First by Suzanne RobbHorror for Good by Mark ScioneauxZippered Flesh by Weldon Burge
Best Horror Anthologies
25th out of 268 books — 482 voters

More lists with this book...

Jacob J.
In some manner my literary, musical, and aesthetic sensibilities transmogrify with the season. Once the autumnal gods blow forth the cool air, carrying with it their fragrances of dry leaves, patchouli, apple spice, and the harvest, and pumpkins begin to grace doorsteps, the numinous in me is sustained by clichéd images of chilling awe; graveyards (with or without decayed hands rising there from), howling wolves silhouetted by full moons, implied malevolent cackling of jack-O’-lanterns, as well...more
Barks & Bites
A Celebration of Halloween edited by Richard Chizmar & Robert Morrish is a collection of new and previously published short stories, novellas and true-life memories taking place on Halloween. Included is a brief (and interesting) history of Halloween and guides to Halloween film and fiction all written by some of my favorite horror and dark fantasy writers.

I’ve been working at this one for over a month and not due to disinterest either. This sucker is HUGE and its anthology format makes it t...more
Bridget
"Ahhh, Halloween...The air is crisp, the leaves are turning, the bonfires are lit and everyone anticipates the one day where they can be whatever they want and go begging for treats, and more importantly, and if you're lucky, be on the receiving end of a really good scare! To start your season off right, pick-up a copy of this fantastic book, brimming with stories that will have you up late into the night turning the pages of one of the best Horror Anthologies to date. There is something for eve...more
Melki
So-so collection of mostly forgettable horror tales. The best stories - Dean Koontz's "The Black Pumpkin", "Masks" by Douglas E. Winter - I had already read in other anthologies. Sprinkled throughout the book are favorite Halloween memories by various authors. Meh!
Brian Sammons
I love Halloween. I love short stories. And yes, I love this book.
Kirsten
This is a nicely atmospheric, if uneven, collection of Halloween-themed stories. There are some classics here, like "Heavy Set" by Ray Bradbury, and a lot of stories I hadn't read before. I think one of the reasons I ended up not being particularly thrilled with the collection is that it's HUGE and after a while the themes start to get really repetitive. I also was not a big fan of the "My Favorite Halloween Memory" sections, which were short essays from horror writers about Halloween. Some of t...more
Nick Miranda
This is probably one of my favorite collections of horror and dark fiction. It takes some of the best genre authors currently publishing (or who have ever been published) and asks them “What is Halloween?”

The book also has some interesting non-fiction retrospectives on the holiday, including some first-hand experiences of terror. And like any good collection, there is never a single story that jumps out as being the best. But trust me, as October gets closer and closer, the power of these tales...more
Steven
Rereading snippets of this book for the season reminded me how solid and informative an anthology collection can be. The jewels in this book are various authors' recollections of their personal Halloween stories, in addition to many great horror tales. Highly recommended, whether this edition or the later reprint editions not put out by Cemetery Dance.
Jaime
This is THE best book to read in October. I bought this collection around the beginning of October a couple years ago and it took me the better part of the month to read it. I don't think there were any stories I didn't enjoy, but the Straub story, "Pork Pie Hat", makes this worth it. Fantastic collection.
Anne
This was a fun book full of short stories and Halloween memories of different authors....I didn't necessarily like ALL of the stories---but that's the beauty of short stories---just move on to the next! I really enjoyed this book!
Chere
A must-read for fans of horror or Halloween! A thrilling collection of short fiction and Halloween memories from top writers in the field! LOVE!!!
Kala
I LOVE this book, I pull it out every October and read at least a few of the stories. Perfect for getting into the Halloween mood!
Stacy
Okay so it took me all month to get thru 660 pages but it is the best collection of Halloween fiction I have ever read!
Craig Fess
Best Halloween Anthology. I especially liked the authors stories on their favorite Halloween memory.
Carmen
The Poppy Z Brite and Caitlin Kiernan stories alone make this a good anthology.
Dawn
love this, we get it out again every fall:)
Anca Maria
I liked it.
Kelsey
I'm completely obsessed with this book and I think everyone who has the slightest interest in Halloween should read it, though I may be a bit partial because this magical holiday happens to be my birthday. This anthology is brimming with personality and American tradition, not to mention legitimate creepiness. Most of the stories/anecdotes made me want to call up the author and rave about their work and pick their brain about their conception of Halloween. I raced through the 650 pages in less t...more
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Oct 20, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of horror and of halloween
I requested this book from the public library because it filled a spot in a reading challenge in which I am participating: "Something with Ten or October in the title or theme."

There were some very unsettling horror short stories in here, but I really liked the nonfiction Memories of Halloween many authors submitted. I rated it low because I don't like horror.
J.T. Therrien
October Dreams is a large collection of dated Halloween short stories. Most are forgettable, as are the authors' reflections on their own childhood Halloweens. The only spooky story is Peter Straub's novella at the very end, "Porkpie Hat".

Read Straub's story and move on to something better, is my suggestion.
Austin
This book is a myriad collection of short stories, ghost stories, and simply tasteful arrangements of literature that help paint a nice fall bouquet to get you in the mood for Halloween. Some stories and authors are better than others, but it is a nice book to break out every so many years during Halloween.
Amber
Barnes & Noble Oct 2008
We all didn't end up reading this book. I'm glad that I picked it up. Great scary stories to read as an adult. Since these are short stories I was able to pick and choose. Next best thing to choose you own adventures!
Linda
Halloween is my favorite time of year, so I was very excited to see this anthology. Unfortunately, it didn't really live up to the promise to me. It's not that it's a bad anthology... it's just not really a Halloween anthology, to me.
Randolph Carter
The story selection is outstanding. There isn't a stinker in here. The Halloween reminiscences are pretty uneven. Some authors obviously put some heart and effort into it and others seemed to treat it as an uninspiring chore.
PJ Carroll
The main thing I liked about this horror anthology is how the author's contribute tales of their own childhood Halloween adventures for us. It is intersting to learn how much love there is for Halloween.
Dan McClellan
This collection offers a great assortment of Halloween themed horror stories from some of the genre's most talented authors.
Natlukens
Did not actually finish, will pick up again next year. This book is a behemoth. Has some great stories and some just OK ones.
Kevin Lucia
Pretty decent. The repeated "favorite" Halloween memories did get a little old, after awhile.
Stopped caring not a huge fan of short story collections.
Eric
An excellent celebration of the best holiday ever.
Halloween lovers... 1 9 Aug 03, 2009 01:22PM
Halloween lovers... 1 6 Aug 03, 2009 01:21PM
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two
  • 100 Hair-Raising Little Horror Stories
  • My Favorite Horror Story
  • The Dark Descent (Collection)
  • The Mammoth Book of Monsters
  • Black Butterflies
  • Dark Delicacies
  • Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernatural
  • Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
  • Prime Evil: New Stories by the Masters of Modern Horror
  • Dark Forces: New Stories of Suspense and Supernatural Horror
  • Under the Fang (The Horror Writers of America)
  • Death Makes a Holiday: A Cultural History of Halloween
  • Duel: Terror Stories
The Best of Cemetery Dance, Volume 1 The Best of Cemetery Dance Vol. II Turn Down the Lights Shivers Shivers VI