Start by marking “Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way: Creating Happiness with Meditation, Yoga, and Ayurveda” as Want to Read:

"If you have an interest in optimum mental health, this book belongs on your shelf!"
--Amy Weintraub, author of Yoga for Depression "A must-read for anyone interested in overcoming depression and healing themselves naturally. A very important book that will elevate you in many ways. Everyone must seek it out."
--Dharma Singh Khalsa, M.D., author of Meditation as Medicine a
Published April 3rd 2009 by Wiley (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way

Colleen
Nov 24, 2010 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes so much sense to me. I love how they split depression into the three doshas. Instead of reading descriptions of symptoms (which always seem too general) I enjoyed reading profiles of people who exhibit each doshic type of depression. Right now I'm reading about pranayama work for each form of depression. Really looking forward to the chapters on yoga and ayurveda/food remedies.
Belann
Jun 10, 2010 Belann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really learned a lot about Ayuvedic medicine from this book. The application was for depression, but it explained in great detail the three body types: vata, pitta, and kapha, and how to overcome problems in all three. The emphasis was on depression, but there was a great chapter on sleep problems. Very helpful.
Dhali
Jun 20, 2013 Dhali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book useful. The three Depression Archetypes gave me a different way to think about depression. I also like the spice tea (cumin / coriander/ fennel) - don't know if it works but it's delicious!
Jimmy
Jun 05, 2016 Jimmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple and practical, easy to apply, works even if you only use a few of the ideas
Kate
Mar 05, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great book that gives real solutions for things that you can do to lessen depression in a non-medicinal way. It follows the path of Ayurveda and breaks down depression into 3 types (Airy, Burning or Earthy) and different things to do for each one. It doesn't treat the disease as a generalization, but instead looks at differences we have as individuals and helps to break treatment down into smaller steps.
Dianelys R
Dec 29, 2015 Dianelys R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book with concrete bases and even if you not have depression or whatever, helps you to improve your lifestyle.
Nicole
Mar 07, 2012 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh.
Meleofa
Oct 08, 2009 Meleofa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how far I will get in this book. I'm 20 pages in, and already losing interest.
Alyssa
I'm not a believer in Ayurveda, so this book, while interesting, was of no use to me.
Emily
May 24, 2012 Emily marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
found this while looking for some yoga DVDs and thought it would make an interesting read :)
Vanda
Vanda rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2013
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2017
Ncountrygirl
Ncountrygirl rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Seema Dodd
Seema Dodd rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Renée Hassan
Renée Hassan rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Gregg
Gregg rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2011
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Carter
Carter rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2016
Janne
Janne rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Jasmin
Jasmin rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2017
Julie Grigor
Julie Grigor rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Mrs Lecter
Mrs Lecter rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2017
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2011
Hobbynan
Hobbynan rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Eerie Dolls
Eerie Dolls rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Allie
Allie rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind
  • Sacred Fire My Journey Into Ashtanga Yoga
  • Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression
  • Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana
  • The Mindfulness Revolution: Leading Psychologists, Scientists, Artists, and Meditatiion Teachers on the Power of Mindfulness in Daily Life
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Beyond Blue: Surviving  Depression & Anxiety and Making the Most of Bad Genes
  • Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy
  • Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Absolute Beauty: Radiant Skin and Inner Harmony Through the Ancient Secrets of Ayurveda
  • Shakti Mantras: Tapping into the Great Goddess Energy Within
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • 5 Simple Steps to Take Your Marriage from Good to Great
  • 40 Days to Personal Revolution: 40 Days to Personal Revolution
  • Krav Maga for Beginners: A Step-by-Step Guide to the World's Easiest-to-Learn, Most-Effective Fitness and Fighting Program