Start by marking “The One Minute Manager” as Want to Read:
The One Minute Manager

The One Minute Manager

(One Minute Manager)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  89,341 ratings  ·  1,486 reviews
This book teaches the quickest way to increase productivity, profits, job satisfaction, and personal prosperity. It is a revolutionary new management method that is already producing very real results for top managers and Fortune 500 companies nationwide. Many believe that it will soon be recognized as the answer to the nation’s falling productivity -- America’s answer to ...more
Published October 7th 2003 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The One Minute Manager, please sign up.
Syed Muhammad Manager who are managing peopleTypes
-…more
Manager who are managing peopleTypes
- Interested in people
- People win while organization loses
delegate
Self Styled
State Forward(less)

·  89,341 ratings  ·  1,486 reviews

James
Nov 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
There is this genre I call business fiction. The characteristics of the genre are as follows:

1. A Simple contrived narrative with a pedantic plod.
2. An aim at communicating common sense wisdom for the business world.
3. A healthy overlay of positive thinking.
4. characters you could care less about because they are one dimensional, mindless automatons sent by the author to fulfill his didactic purposes but do not breath, bleed, or have any life of their own.
5. Lots of slogans that would look nic
Chad Warner
Nov 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Chad by: Al Tomes
Shelves: self-help
This short book packs a lot of advice about effective management into an allegorical story. The tips are realistic and practical, and not too preachy. Here are my notes, mostly quoted straight from the book:

Manager Types
- Interested in people
- People win while organization loses

People who feel good about themselves produce good results.

One minute goal setting
1. Agree on your goals.
2. S
Jan-Maat
Is there a word for books that are over one hundred pages long but which summarise themselves in less than one page?

In this case everything you need to know is on page, luckily not room, 101 (view spoiler). The rest of the book is some kind of modern fable, presumably because the authors felt embarrassed by the idea of selling their idea on a postcard, that repetitiously repeats that the man
Trey Piepmeier
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
The writing is absolutely wretched. It's as if it were written for school children. Poorly.

That being said, I think this is probably a really solid management style. I just wish they showed a little more respect for the reader. The dialog attribution alone is nausea-inducing.

This is from the same school of thought as Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends & Influence People. Which is, basically, if you manipulate people into thinking you care about them, they'll do what you want. Of course, it's
Alex Duncan
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must read for new managers.
Leah Nadeau
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well that was a very basic and short book!
description

I liked it but I personally didn't find much value in it. Though, if only my shittiest manager were to have read this book - I would be freed from so much sucky-ass-manager grief!

The structure of this book is so strange... usually personal development books are instructional and insightful which this book kinda is but it's told as a story. It's a story about interviewing several people lol I feel like Blanchard did this to thicken the book, else he cou
Mike Steven
Jul 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was on the shelf on the house I stayed at on my holidays and as I'm supposed to lead a team these days I thought it would be useful.

David Brent could have written this book. It's so cheesey and american it's unreal. Basically it has three ideas. One minute target setting - all goals mapped out in less than 250 words with each team member getting fourteen or fifteen or twenty odd or something targets. There's also one minute praise. It advises you to 'touch people in a reassuring way' during
Stefy
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Simple, quick and entertaining story about how to manage yourself and be a manager.

You'd think there'd be a secret sauce to it, some way to conduct yourself or boss people around in an effective way. Turns out, the three steps of managing (goal setting, praising and reprimanding) are not only a '"minute" each, but couldn't be more jaw-dropping obvious and right.

Be precise about what you want to get done and the quality it has to be done by, but give autonomy in how it's done. This gives space
Shanna Kunkel
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Had to read for work. Treat people like people and not just worker bees. Common sense. Managers do NOT use this book that's for sure.
Yousif Al Zeera
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Nice read and very light. Read it while on a bus-drive from Manama, Bahrain to Al Medina, KSA.
Dhruv Sharma
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
I Liked this book and let me try to summarize the takeaway using a small example of a game called “Bowling”:

Let’s say a person X (who is supervisor level of employee) is playing bowling and the pins are being place by another person Y (who is happens to be a senior management level employee). The idea is that the Y will set the pins and X will strike the pins using the ball.

The catch here in the game is that there is a curtain in between the player who is bowling and the pins he need to strike (
Christopher
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Laughably oversimplified advice, for the most part very truthful and common sensical, that I'm sure works spectacularly in a healthy, homogeneous, and fully functional society that I'm having a hard time envisioning in today's world. Written in 1981, the type of managerial relationship portrayed here was already gone, it just hadn't evidenced itself yet. The advice contained within actually works better for dealing with children, specifically your own, when it comes to the much-stressed aspect o ...more
Vamshi C
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One minute Manager... Can a manager finish all his job in just one minute? That's what this book claims. Blanchard takes us through a pursuit of a young manager to find the best practices of a Manager. He meets a very efficient manager with whom he learns three basic principles of One minute manager. The book though is a management oriented, the author makes us feel as if we are reading a story. The examples shared by the managers could have been better. All in all i gave this 4 out of 5 only be ...more
Shaw
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it
There are some great lessons in this book but I found the format of the Socratic Dialogue to come off as gimmicky. This book assumes a team that are all intrinsically motivated and can operate completely independently but even if you are still working on more basic staff development there is plenty to take away. If you can get past the quirky format of the book, it's worth the hour and a half to read.
Karthick
One Minute Goals,
One Minute Praisings,
One Minute Reprimands
David Lucero
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A helpful book with good times on time management.
Tyler Suzuki Nelson
The One Minute Manager is a short book written by Kenneth Blanchard and Spencer Johnson. Written in a style of fiction, The One Minute Manager presents through example and explanation a method of managing people in a short period of time using only 3 steps.

The main idea behind the book is that to manage people quickly and effectively, there are 3 important steps: 1) Goal Setting, in which an agreement is reached on the person's responsibilities and then these responsibilities are broken down and
Gabriela
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to anyone who is overseeing others in a managerial capacity

The One Minute Manager is a narrative about a young man looking for the most effective management skills. Through this parable, Kenneth Blanchard and Spenser Johnson seek to show what makes the most effective management approach, an approach that allows for employee innovation and creativity. The book includes topics on motivating, appraisals and sanctions as well as goal setting.

I believe that the advice offe
Prashant
I heard about the book a long time back and it has been waiting in my bookshelf for some 1 year now. The only reason that the thinness of the book was not able to entice me in reading it was the fact that most of the famous management books that you come across in your life become clichéd with time. If you have not read them in any chronological order then time and again you are bound to get that feeling of déjà vu.

This book is about a man who is on a lookout for some gyaan(learning) about mana
Tom
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ken Blanchard is a deceptive genius, and his brief books belie brilliance of how he presents his powerful points and themes. He is able to share some solutions and questions of life's great mysteries and secrets in simple, consumable, and ultimately useable form. In his advisory epistles, he notes rightly, that to the degree that we languish in implementing changes to change and improve our lives, well, the less they impact. Specifically he often talks about a 48 hour grace period.

I've always a
Sunny
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*giggle*

*giggle-snort*

OK. I totally get why this book would have been so dog-gone popular... THIRTY-TWO YEARS AGO!

It's a cute story - this up-and-coming yuppie-type interviews a successful business manager to find out his secrets for success. Then he is sent to interview three of this manager's subordinates, who each give him one of the three secrets to being a One Minute Manager. (I kept thinking of Dickens' Christmas ghosts! LOL!)

It's all boiled down to three simple rules: Set Goals, Give Imme
Steffen Nielsen
Oct 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is probably the worst management book I have ever read. It is filled with so many trivial things that most people have already learned in their upbringing which makes the book completely unbearable.

On the front cover it states that this is the World's Most Popular Management Method. I don't believe that is a fact. It also says More Success With Less Stress. As an old stress "victim" I take statements like that very serious however it is hardly mentioned in the book how this is achieved. Th
Janet
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management
The book is short and humorous, a good read for non-readers.

The book takes solid mangagerial info and gives it to the reader handily in the form of three "secrets." Managers should cast clear vision and expectations, commend good work, and correct mistakes.

The advice to be very practical and while some may consider it far too simple, it can help you a lot IF you actually apply the info- which I suspect most managers do not.

Leadership and management are both critically important skills. The one
LeikHong Leow
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I recently find time to re-read this book; and found many inspiring ideas from it.

One minute goal setting - how to create short and precise goals for your team
One minute praise - catch you people doing the right things and give them an immediate praise
One minute reprimand - if you find someone doing wrong, give them immediate feedback and correction action.
Bilal Rajab
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book provides a core principal that will change your behavior in managing people more efficiently.
I like the way this book delivered it's message through conversations during the chapters, It was interesting
Suzanne  Chaar
A really great book and it has a very great information about how be a good manager!
Kirtida Gautam
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chakra-3
It is an okay book. A very quick read.
Bruce
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This chestnut has been floating around management literature for nearly 40 years. Blanchard and Johnson have here helpfully reduced the entirety of their recommendations into a flow-chart on page 101, thus:

The book has since been updated and reprised many times over ad absurdam (the authors have since recharacterized their "reprimand" as a "redirect") but it appears otherwise unchanged and you can find the full, verbatim text of the original version here.

While the authors annoyingly chose to pr
Monal
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A 110 page book that justifies the title. You might find it unrealistic at the very beginning. Give it another read. Try to relate it with your regular life. Try to think how your manager praises or reprimands you for different things and how you would prefer that done. If you are a manager, it might definitely help you and people you manage. However if you are being managed, you might wonder at certain things. Like people keep saying - Time is one thing I have plenty of. How? I still dont know. ...more
Tim Johnson
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was ok.

One minute goal setting, one minute praises, and one minute reprimands are good things to be aware of but as anybody who has been in a management position knows that there is a lot more to it than that. Go slow, learn your people, clarify the roles each person fulfills. What about buy in? What about communication?

There is so much more to be aware of. This is a good introduction but developing management skills, like anything else takes time and effort.

• Zapp! The Lightning of Empowerment: How to Improve Quality, Productivity, and Employee Satisfaction
  • Principle-Centered Leadership
  • The Present: The Secret to Enjoying Your Work and Life, Now!
  • In Search Of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
  • Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done
  • Developing the Leaders Around You: How to Help Others Reach Their Full Potential
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • Now, Discover Your Strengths
  • The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything
  • The Personality Code
  • Managing for Results
  • Fish!: A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
  • Winning
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

One Minute Manager (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • The One Minute Manager Builds High Performing Teams
  • The New One Minute Manager
  • Talking with the One Minute Manager
  • The One Minute Manager Balances Work and Life
  • The One Minute Manager Gets Fit
  • One Minute Manager Salesperson
  • Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills
  • One Minute Manager/Putting the One Minute Manager to Work/Boxed Set
“Take a minute: look at your goals, look at your performance, see if your behavior matches your goals.” 43 likes
“Secret #1 : One minute Goal Setting
"People who feel good about themselves produce good results”
27 likes