Start by marking “The Cure: How a Father Raised $100 Million—and Bucked the Medical Establishment—in a Quest to Save His Children” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  224 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
“Amazing….Explores human courage under the most trying circumstances.” —New York Post

“An inspirational story about business, medical science, and one father’s refusal to give up hope.” —Boston Globe

The book that inspired the movie, Extraordinary Measures, starring Harrison Ford, Brendan Fraser, and Keri Russell, The Cure by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Geeta Anand i
Published December 29th 2009 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published August 29th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Cure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cure

Hal
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 13-reads, top-shelf
I have to admit to an extreme bias when commenting on this book. My brother and I are two of the 200 adults in the U.S. who have the adult-onset form of this disease. Pompe disease is a heredity genetic neuro-muscular disease in which the body doesn't produce enough of an enzyme to repair muscles or promote muscle growth. This book is about the search for a cure or treatment for the juvenile form of the disease. Newborns with it barely live more than a few years.

John Crowley's attempts to raise
Jonellebeth
Apr 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
It was interesting to see the relationship between business and science in relationship to developing new treatments for diseases. Money really drives research. It seemed that John Crowley was dishonest in his business dealings. On one hand I think his passion to find a cure for his disease drove the research and on the other hand I think he was incredibly self centered and frequently acted in his own best interest without regard to the consequences to his family. I read this while flying across ...more
Tima
Jan 20, 2012 marked it as started-but-abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tima by: The Internet
I tried to read this book, I really did. And I mean I tried really hard.

The story is incredible. (I cheated and did a combination of watching the movie based off the book and wikipedia search on the subject). But, Geeta Anand has to be one of the driest authors I've read in recent history.

I gave up well before halfway through, after thumbing through the photos of course, and gave the book to my Mom. Even she had a hard time getting through it, though she is much more of a trooper than I and ac
Erin
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The writing wasn't stellar, but the story was wonderful. Very inspiring.
Jennifer Martin
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book with detailed research and a very moving true story.
Marti
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interested in this because I've seen the movie a few times.

For non-fiction, I enjoyed it. I was sad when their marriage struggled.
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
John Crowley, adalah contoh sempurna dari sebuah keluarga yang merepresenrasikan American Dream. Memiliki keluarga yang harmonis, istri baik hati, anak-anak yang lucu, punya pekerjaan mapan di perusahaan bonafit, hidupnya nyaris sempurna. nyaris...

Tidak ada seorang pun bisa menebak kapan perputaran nasib akan menempatkan kita di kotak mana, keberuntungan atau kesialan. Pun dengan Crowley. tiga dari dua anaknya mengidap penyakit kelainan genetis fatal, penyakit Pompe. suatu cacat lahir yang menga
Sep
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for the writing and 5 stars for John and Aileen Crowley who faced one of life's biggest challenges with great courage and brilliance. They have two children with Pompe, a rare disease that is fatal within months of diagnosis. John gives up his job and throws himself into finding the scientists who are closest to finding a cure.

A lot of this books explains in detail the business of science and the chemistry of producing a new drug. It is also almost painfully honest about the struggle
Lee
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read. I cannot even imagine what this family had to deal with and the author did such a good job portraying both parents and the children and all that was going on around them. Imagine if two of your three children had a life threatening disease and no one was working hard to find a cure. Now imagine that a means was placed in your hands to aid in finding that cure. Wouldn't you do everything in your power and more to make sure that a cure was found and that your children ...more
Tristan
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible true story. Very well written. What I loved the most about it was how Anand shared a more well rounded story. She didn't focus on only John and Aileen's heroism as parents to their suffering children, but she also shared real stories of their weak moments - their rocky marriage, meltdowns in public, wishing it would all go away, etc.

Anand did a great job of showing the human side of everyone involved in this story. Every time John hesitated to share something about his family and the
Allyson
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. All I can say is Wow. The energy and dedication of this family is amazing. If you thought the movie "Extraordinary Measures" was something amazing, read the book it was "based" on. It's more detailed and eventful than the movie even came close to being! And if you have never heard of Pompe disease...you will learn a lot about it in this book. And what it takes to get a drug to work, to be good enough to try on animals, let alone people...what an incredible journey the Crowley family has bee ...more
Jaimin
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a father learns his children have a genetic disease for which there is no cure, he decides to develop one. Overcoming a zillion obstacles in his way, he found a company to take a biotech drug from laboratory stage to clinical trials in 3 years. In three damn years! Can you believe the spirit of this man who worked with a constant fear at the back of his mind, and yet looked at failure squarely in its eye all through his journey to eventually triumph?
Akwhepworth
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, inspiring and frustrating all at the same time. This is the story of a man whose two children were diagnosed with a very rare, ultimately fatal disease, who decided to fund raise and then ultimately build a company in order to find a cure. Lots of dilemmas and no easy answers. I was not only impressed by the story, but also the writing which was perfectly balanced between medical details and the emotional struggle.

ps--Forrest and Abbie, I definitely think you would enjoy this.
Allegra S
I tried to read this book and like it. I was intrigued by the movie and I wanted to find out the facts. Well, another case of movie ruining book. The movie changed very important details about the children's ages, abilities, and the outcome of the father's work.

The story, told in the short blurb, is compelling. However this book reads like a dry history of the formation of a foundation. Unfortunately, it was quite boring and I had to skim over several passages. I wish this book had been written
Ann
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book I have read in years. I have not been this absorbed in a story since before I had children. It took a tale of struggle, of hope, of love, to remind me why I love to read. I feel like I know the Crowleys and I want to know more. John's asking for forgiveness rather than permission is inspiring. His drive to do whatever he can for his family is amazing. Aileen is a role model for mothers everywhere. Her children are happy and that is what matters the most.

Patricia
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Interesting tale of a father's determination to raise money to find a cure for the rare metabolic disorder afficting TWO of his children. It was hard to read at times--it makes me sad to think of the sick children. I walked out of the movie, Lorenzo's Oil for the same reason. There is lots of interesting science in this book--glycosylation of proteins is important!
Michael Slavin
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
John Crowley had two little girls with a rare disease and no one was was working on a cure, it was too rare. His 15 and 5 month old daughters were only given months to live. The father quit his work, researched the disease, raised over 100 million dollars, hired the scientists and found a cure for his daughters before it was too late. It is an amazing story, very inspirational.
Anne
Jun 20, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to believe it is a true story - amazingly a self-centered dad gets a wake up call when his children fall sick with a rare disease. He uses his sometimes less-than-integrity-filled schmoozy tactics to raise money and start a company to try to find a cure. It's not amazingly well written, but the story itself carries the book quite far.
Joel
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book at a discount book sell and I didn't expect much out of it. Hell, was I wrong. So good. So inspirational. Anyone who cares about healthcare, research, children, and families should read this one. Geeta Anand tells the story of the Crowley family with superb ease and attractiveness.
Karen
Nov 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a mom. . or a blessed grandma living with beautiful, healthy children, I couldn't help but be moved by the story of this family with 2 children who have life-threatening, devastating illness. Made me so thankful for my blessings. Certainly not everyone has the background, resources, ability or temperament to do what John Crowley did, but it made a good story!
Marissa Nelson
Jan 22, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Been trying to get through this for over a year. It's the story of my former client and his quest to save his children from a rare life-threatening disease. The writing is clearly that of a newspaper journalist and NOT a novelist. Reads like a 300 page Wall Street Journal article.
Shari Wright
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down! The journey this family takes is heart wrenching and so raw. I really enjoyed the business, medical, and personal components that all meshed together. It provided a unique perspective that I haven't had before. This is one of the best books I have ever read.
Kgoppel
Jan 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really moved me. I worked on the production suite for the Pompe drug discussed in the finale of the book, and was aware of the dire need for the drug; however, hearing the personal stories of Pompe children really struck a chord. And I am amazed at the difference one person can make!
Jil Larson
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting read about one couple's efforts to save their two children afflicted with a rare disease. It gives an inside look at the R&D process in the pharmaceutical industry and how much it takes to win attention for a needed drug and get it developed and available.
Danielle Schryver
cybergift from Debra
Julie
Aug 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
UGH. The premise is good. The actual book is about as dull and boring as it could possibly get.
Sam
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesomely inspiring!
Amy
May 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't love this one---the movie was pretty good, and hit just the highlights---even though it drastically increased the ages of the children.
Maura
Jul 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's about Genzyme where I work...we have a unique position on the book and upcoming movie staring Harrison Ford.
Drew
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is simply a MUST read for any parent, medical professional, or anybody with a heart.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Different Minds: Gifted Children with AD/HD, Asperger Syndrome, and Other Learning Deficits
  • The White House Doctor: Behind the Scenes with the Clinton and Bush Families
  • Run, Don't Walk: The Curious and Chaotic Life of a Physical Therapist Inside Walter Reed Army Medical Center
  • The Sorcerers and Their Apprentices: How the Digital Magicians of the MIT Media Lab Are Creating the Innovative Technologies That Will Transform Our Lives
  • Letting Go: A Parents' Guide to Understanding the College Years
  • Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs: The Making of a Surgeon
  • Moral Calculations: Game Theory, Logic, and Human Frailty
  • Feeding Eden: The Trials and Triumphs of a Food Allergy Family
  • Paradise General: Riding the Surge at a Combat Hospital in Iraq
  • The Vitamin D Solution: A 3-Step Strategy to Cure Our Most Common Health Problem
  • The Unfinished Presidency: Jimmy Carter's Journey to the Nobel Peace Prize