Start by marking “Sweet Starfire (Lost Colony, # 1)” as Want to Read:
Sweet Starfire (Lost Colony, # 1)

Sweet Starfire

(Lost Colony #1)

Beautiful Cidra, raised amid a serene, spiritual race, is unprepared for Teague, the rugged adventurer from another race, the Wolves. Side by side on a dangerous quest, they battle both human and alien dangers, and find that their passion holds more danger than they know.

Mass Market Paperback, 375 pages
Published March 1986 by Warner Books (NY) (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Starfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Starfire

Start your review of Sweet Starfire (Lost Colony, # 1)
Kathleen
Decades ago, Jayne Krentz first introduced me to an engrossing new world of romantic science fiction. She wrote that genre under the now-defunct pseudonym Amanda Glass. This LOST COLONY series started the whole ball rolling for me. Fun stuff. Maybe I'm overrating it slightly, but Krentz wrote this spooky-cool sexy stuff before it became status quo.

Futuristic adventurous love story, told in 3rd person, set on distant planets. In this mythos, humans have evolved into two types: Harmonics (intuiti
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Carrie
Sci-Fi Romance Reading Challenge 2011

Sweet Starfire was published in 1986, presumably before Jayne Ann Krentz was writing her sci-fi romance under the name Jayne Castle. I didn't look at the copyright date until after I'd finished, and was surprised to find this was Krentz's first "futuristic" book. In my opinion, it's one of the best I've read by her under any pen name. The book has a solid plot, great action scenes, a slow-building romance, well-developed characters, and detailed world-buildin
Jane Stewart
Nice, pleasant romantic suspense. Ok but nothing really special.

STORY BRIEF:
In the future humans have evolved into two types. Harmonics are intuitive, telepathic and more intelligent. They do scientific research. They meditate and seek harmony with others. Sex is secondary to them. Wolves are like humans of today. They can be smart. They like sex. (These wolves are not shifters, it’s a label.)

Cidra’s parents are Harmonics, but she does not have Harmonic abilities. She wants to search for an arti
Mara
May 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
One of the most boring book I've read. It has nothing wrong, it simply lacks anything interesting. And all of this nothing in the middle of adventure, aliens, new words. It does take some mad skills to make this level of drooling, boring read. Dry.

Not my cup, but I'm sure it is right for many people.
Debrac2014
This is one of Jayne Krentz' early stories. I somehow missed it when it was first published. Good story but I found the beginning slow going until the mid point of the book, when Cidra and Severance travel on the river thru the jungle.
Meredith
This is a science fiction story about a for-hire pilot and a woman who is part of a race of beings that only feel "Higher Emotions."

I don't know that I could describe it any better than that in one sentence. Unfortunately, it's a bit complicated. I love Krentz, I've said it before, and while not everyone agrees with me, this is a great example of Krentz doing what she does best: creating strong, dangerous, yet caring heroes. The kind of men who don't--or can't-- express themselves well. The wor
Hannah
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars. I like hearing about space but it‘s always been hard for me to get into fictional books about other planets and stars and aliens. This one was actually kind of interesting in that aspect. I thought the animals/monsters were kinda creepy but original, which I liked.
I usually like stories about conflict-rich romances because of different cultures but I kind of hated this in here. Are wolves all just supposed to be about being selfish and wanting sex? Because whenever he does anything a
Sorhija
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
found it in paperback. it was very good !
SmartBitches
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

This book is simply delightful. There are giant bugs and snakes and river monsters. There is fashion. There’s a dingy spaceship and futuristic gambling. There’s a brooding bad boy who isn’t too bad and a very sweet ingénue who totally kicks ass. There’s a fluffy alien pet with three rows of teeth – like a super snuggly, deadly cat. The cover has pink AND fuchsia. You can’t ask for much more from life than this.

This book has a fun pulp science fiction qua
An Odd1
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, fan, fantasy, x-rate
The planet Renaissance is a clever detailed thorough invention, full of dangerous alien monsters and vegetation. Some parts seem unnecessary stretches by the author, such as gigantic toothed lizards that crash land and leave eggs in an ancient safe-hold. Huge mantis insects attack by glowing and somehow terrifying in the process, handily eliminating one villain.

Krentz incorporates terms, such as skimmer vehicles that traverse swamps, with easily flowing language and images to simplify and expand
D. Manuel
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
pre-e-book....rated as a Keeper.....wore out 3 copies of paperback.....first Jayne Anne Krentz/Jayne Castle book I read. at time published Romantic Times rated it a 5. as of 1995 Romantic Times had only rated 20 books 5 stars. they had several 4+ stars but only 20 rated 5 stars. personally had trouble putting it down. I enjoy her current Jayne Castle futuristic Harmony novels but Sweet StarFire and Crystal Flame both beat here Harmony books to pieces.
Marilyn
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ultimate Reading Challenge 2016. A romance set in the future.

Teague, a wolf, full of passion, a survivor under very adverse conditions, with an excellent reputation. He loves to drink, perhaps a bit too much, and to gamble. Cidra, raised as a Harmonic, but without a Harmonic's ability to communicate telapathically, cultured, well educated, seeking a means to become a full Harmonic. Lots of adventure. I thoroughly enjoyed their story.
Dawn ♥ romance
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Interesting sci-fi romance with lots of adventure and creative beings. Most of the hero and heroine's behavior in the relationship throughout the story seemed mature especially at the end. Cidra was raised in serenity and asks adventurer Severance to take her on a quest to find her missing component for inner peace.
Netanella
Published in the mid-1980's, use of the word "Sweet" in the title to meet another reading challenge, futuristic romance which is one of my favorite genres - how could I go wrong?

So, so many ways. And life is too short to read books you don't like. So it's okay to call it about 1/3 of the way through - this one's not for me. DNF.
Barb in Maryland
JAK does futuristic SF romance and does it well.
Jane (PS)
Jan 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. I was expecting it to be set in the world of Shield's Lady, but it is completely different. Not as captivating as some of the other Krentz books, but certainly an enjoyable read.
Dakota
Oct 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2014-reads
i realized i havent read the harmony series yet so gave this a go. the first part was a little but picked up from the middle. not bad
Olga Godim
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I love this author and read most of her novels before, but I never read this one, even though it is fairly old. I’m thrilled to say I enjoyed the story. It was a happy new discovery, a gem of summer reading. Love, adventure, a fantastic setting, and a pair of fascinating lovers, combined into a well-written, beautifully constructed story, made this book a joyful ride.
A sort-of futuristic romance, like her later dust bunny series under the pen name Jayne Castle, this novel features a world where
David Johnston
He's an entrepreneur with some hard edges and familiarity with violence but a strong sense of responsibility for others. She's a somewhat flaky fount of endless compassion and an interest in new agey self-actualization. In short in her first dip into science fiction Jayne Anne Krentz stuck with her default couple although I'm pretty sure her aspiring interstellar transport tycoon started as a borderline Han Solo fanfic concept. That being said whether this book works depends on whether you find ...more
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fantasy
Cidra wants to be a Harmonic and Teague is a Wolf and I'll just leave it there with the plot description. I am honestly shocked that JAK had it in her to write a romance that seems legitimately different than her others, which across time and space read somewhat like the same book (and as someone who has read dozens, this is nearly a feature, not a bug). So that's impressive. At the same time, I don't know that it really worked. It was a lot. Particularly a lot of creatures of the night. I do ha ...more
Linda Brown
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my personal favorites!!!

I believe that Jayne Anne Krentz started the whole paranormal romance genre with this gem of hers. Great characterization and storyline is her specialty. Alien planet with lots of dangerous fauna as well as bad guys and pure stunning romance. I had to buy it again for my Kindle.
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-kindle
Good book. The books in this series don't grab you as quickly as her books usually do. However, her characters have depth as they always do and the story has emotions, tenseness, and a great sense of fun. It's a good read.
Mai
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great otherworldly romance with some mystery and intrigue thrown in.
Trine Nygaard
A fantasy has come true, science fiction romance, how cool. Easy to get through, though it has its cheasy moment.
Linnea
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. The plot is a bit weak, but the world is interesting and the romance quite sweet.
Rebecca Delio
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Story

I really enjoyed this book, I originally read it in Hard copy and loved it then, now I have it on my Kindle to enjoy again and again....
Murren Harker
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good read, still getting used to the futuristic tone of this book but was a very good read. I feel that the ending could have been better developed to explain the aliens presence on the planet. Perhaps an explanation of these so called 'Ghosts'.

Rachael
I finished this book a week ago and since then, I've been struggling to come up with words about why it didn't exactly gel with me. I think there were two big reasons:

1) I was looking for more of a "sexytimes in space" book, and this, while a romance novel, was lighter on the sex and heavier on the emotional part of the romance. Also, what little sex there was happened on a planet, and not in space. Not the fault of the book, just not what I was looking for.

2) As a science fiction novel with hea
Sheila Melo
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space
Early Sci-fi Romance from JAK

SWEET STARFIRE is a science fiction romance written in the 1980s. It is the story of Cidra Rainforest who was born and raised by Harmonic parents but isn't one herself. Harmonics are telepathic and tend to have the intellectual dispassionate qualities of humans (think Spock). Cidra lacks telepathic abilities and is on a quest to obtain a facsimile of those abilities do that she can take her place amongst her family. She seeks to join the crew of one of the mail haule
« previous 1 3 next »

• Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Dark Light (Ghost Hunters, #5)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • Crystal Gardens (Ladies of Lantern Street, #1)
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
  • The Mystery Woman (Ladies of Lantern Street, #2)
  • Tightrope (Burning Cove, #3)
  • Amaryllis (St. Helen's, #1)
  • Serpent In Paradise
  • The Lost Night (Rainshadow, #1; Ghost Hunters, #9)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
  • Silver Master (Ghost Hunters, #4)
  • The Desperate Game (Guinevere Jones, #1)
  • Ghost Hunter (Ghost Hunters, #3)
  • The Paid Companion
  • Garden of Lies
  • Lie by Moonlight (Vanza, #4)
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre

Lost Colony (3 books)
  • Crystal Flame (Lost Colony, #2)
  • Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)