Start by marking “Sweet Starfire (Lost Colony, # 1)” as Want to Read:
Sweet Starfire (Lost Colony, # 1)

Sweet Starfire (Lost Colony #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  2,667 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews

Beautiful Cidra, raised amid a serene, spiritual race, is unprepared for Teague, the rugged adventurer from another race, the Wolves. Side by side on a dangerous quest, they battle both human and alien dangers, and find that their passion holds more danger than they know.

Mass Market Paperback, 375 pages
Published March 1986 by Warner Books (NY) (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Starfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Starfire

Kathleen
Decades ago, Jayne Krentz first introduced me to an engrossing new world of romantic science fiction. She wrote that genre under the now-defunct pseudonym Amanda Glass. This LOST COLONY series started the whole ball rolling for me. Fun stuff. Maybe I'm overrating it slightly, but Krentz wrote this spooky-cool sexy stuff before it became status quo.

Futuristic adventurous love story, told in 3rd person, set on distant planets. In this mythos, humans have evolved into two types: Harmonics (intuiti
Jane Stewart
Nice, pleasant romantic suspense. Ok but nothing really special.

STORY BRIEF:
In the future humans have evolved into two types. Harmonics are intuitive, telepathic and more intelligent. They do scientific research. They meditate and seek harmony with others. Sex is secondary to them. Wolves are like humans of today. They can be smart. They like sex. (These wolves are not shifters, it’s a label.)

Cidra’s parents are Harmonics, but she does not have Harmonic abilities. She wants to search for an arti
Carrie
Sci-Fi Romance Reading Challenge 2011

Sweet Starfire was published in 1986, presumably before Jayne Ann Krentz was writing her sci-fi romance under the name Jayne Castle. I didn't look at the copyright date until after I'd finished, and was surprised to find this was Krentz's first "futuristic" book. In my opinion, it's one of the best I've read by her under any pen name. The book has a solid plot, great action scenes, a slow-building romance, well-developed characters, and detailed world-buildin
Mara
May 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
One of the most boring book I've read. It has nothing wrong, it simply lacks anything interesting. And all of this nothing in the middle of adventure, aliens, new words. It does take some mad skills to make this level of drooling, boring read. Dry.

Not my cup, but I'm sure it is right for many people.
Debrac2014
This is one of Jayne Krentz' early stories. I somehow missed it when it was first published. Good story but I found the beginning slow going until the mid point of the book, when Cidra and Severance travel on the river thru the jungle.
Meredith
This is a science fiction story about a for-hire pilot and a woman who is part of a race of beings that only feel "Higher Emotions."

I don't know that I could describe it any better than that in one sentence. Unfortunately, it's a bit complicated. I love Krentz, I've said it before, and while not everyone agrees with me, this is a great example of Krentz doing what she does best: creating strong, dangerous, yet caring heroes. The kind of men who don't--or can't-- express themselves well. The wor
An Odd1
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, fantasy, fan, x-rate
The planet Renaissance is a clever detailed thorough invention, full of dangerous alien monsters and vegetation. Some parts seem unnecessary stretches by the author, such as gigantic toothed lizards that crash land and leave eggs in an ancient safe-hold. Huge mantis insects attack by glowing and somehow terrifying in the process, handily eliminating one villain.

Krentz incorporates terms, such as skimmer vehicles that traverse swamps, with easily flowing language and images to simplify and expand
Marilyn
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ultimate Reading Challenge 2016. A romance set in the future.

Teague, a wolf, full of passion, a survivor under very adverse conditions, with an excellent reputation. He loves to drink, perhaps a bit too much, and to gamble. Cidra, raised as a Harmonic, but without a Harmonic's ability to communicate telapathically, cultured, well educated, seeking a means to become a full Harmonic. Lots of adventure. I thoroughly enjoyed their story.
D. Manuel
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
pre-e-book....rated as a Keeper.....wore out 3 copies of paperback.....first Jayne Anne Krentz/Jayne Castle book I read. at time published Romantic Times rated it a 5. as of 1995 Romantic Times had only rated 20 books 5 stars. they had several 4+ stars but only 20 rated 5 stars. personally had trouble putting it down. I enjoy her current Jayne Castle futuristic Harmony novels but Sweet StarFire and Crystal Flame both beat here Harmony books to pieces.
Dawn ♥ romance
Interesting sci-fi romance with lots of adventure and creative beings. Most of the hero and heroine's behavior in the relationship throughout the story seemed mature especially at the end. Cidra was raised in serenity and asks adventurer Severance to take her on a quest to find her missing component for inner peace.
Jane (PS)
Jan 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. I was expecting it to be set in the world of Shield's Lady, but it is completely different. Not as captivating as some of the other Krentz books, but certainly an enjoyable read.
Dakota
Oct 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads, romance
i realized i havent read the harmony series yet so gave this a go. the first part was a little but picked up from the middle. not bad
David Johnston
He's an entrepreneur with some hard edges and familiarity with violence but a strong sense of responsibility for others. She's a somewhat flaky fount of endless compassion and an interest in new agey self-actualization. In short in her first dip into science fiction Jayne Anne Krentz stuck with her default couple although I'm pretty sure her aspiring interstellar transport tycoon started as a borderline Han Solo fanfic concept. That being said whether this book works depends on whether you find ...more
Jeanne
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Malgré l'explosion des sous-genres en romance, la romance mâtinée de science-fiction reste marginale et peu connue, y compris de moi-même… C'est pourquoi, lorsque j'ai lu quelque part que Sweet Starfire était considérée comme la première véritable romance SF (exceptant, donc, les ouvrages de SF teintés de romantisme), je me suis jetée dessus, curieuse impénitente que je suis. En plus, c'est JAK, quoi ! Une auteure qui a écrit de tout et qui rocke depuis les années 70, il faut quand même le faire ...more
Murren Harker
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good read, still getting used to the futuristic tone of this book but was a very good read. I feel that the ending could have been better developed to explain the aliens presence on the planet. Perhaps an explanation of these so called 'Ghosts'.

SmartBitches
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

This book is simply delightful. There are giant bugs and snakes and river monsters. There is fashion. There’s a dingy spaceship and futuristic gambling. There’s a brooding bad boy who isn’t too bad and a very sweet ingénue who totally kicks ass. There’s a fluffy alien pet with three rows of teeth – like a super snuggly, deadly cat. The cover has pink AND fuchsia. You can’t ask for much more from life than this.

This book has a fun pulp science fiction qua
Rachael
I finished this book a week ago and since then, I've been struggling to come up with words about why it didn't exactly gel with me. I think there were two big reasons:

1) I was looking for more of a "sexytimes in space" book, and this, while a romance novel, was lighter on the sex and heavier on the emotional part of the romance. Also, what little sex there was happened on a planet, and not in space. Not the fault of the book, just not what I was looking for.

2) As a science fiction novel with hea
Sheila Melo
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early Sci-fi Romance from JAK

SWEET STARFIRE is a science fiction romance written in the 1980s. It is the story of Cidra Rainforest who was born and raised by Harmonic parents but isn't one herself. Harmonics are telepathic and tend to have the intellectual dispassionate qualities of humans (think Spock). Cidra lacks telepathic abilities and is on a quest to obtain a facsimile of those abilities do that she can take her place amongst her family. She seeks to join the crew of one of the mail haule
KarenF
So I love most JAK (and all her AKAs) but this one didn't quite click for me. I think if I had read it longer ago I would have enjoyed it more. As it was, I couldn't help but compare to the Jayne Castle Harmony set books, which are some of my favorites. The bones of some of that world building are here but this one dragged for me in places whereas the Harmony set ones mostly don't.

Also, while this isn't "old skool" in that Teague isn't too much of a controlling a-hole and all the sex is certain
Linda
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aliens
I read all of Amanda Quick, but not all of Jayne Ann Krentz, but decided to pick this one up. It was a bit different than what I expected and it took me a while to get my head wrapped around the other-worldliness of it.

Cidra was an interesting character. How she managed to not get overly irritated with Severance is beyond me, but then she was pretty stubborn herself. I guess I couldn't blame him for egging her on about not being Harmonic. Trying to change who you essentially are is probably imp
Paraphrodite
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
It's always interesting reading older books by a favourite author. This book is set in a world very similar to Harmony. The colonists are divided into Harmonics (telepaths who have gone above physical desires) and are revered by the people as "Saints" and Wolves - those who are not telepathic and are more governed by instincts and passions.

The story begins with Cidra, born to Harmonic parents but without telepathic abilities. She ventured out into the world in search of a mail pilot who would ta
Maria
This genre is always a delight. Jayne Ann Krentz creates wonderful worlds and characters with interesting plots while throwing in a little philosophy to get you thinking, like what would happen to the world if everyone lost their aggressive tendencies? Peace, certainly, but JAK makes you realize there could be some downsides as well. This book is possibly my favorite in this genre. I love the way the progression of events moves so smoothly to a turnabout in Cidra's way of thinking. No sooner is ...more
TINNGG
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: futuristic
Huh. An interesting world...er....system. I found myself wondering about the connection with the author's later series. Guess they all were founded under similar circumstances.

So our h was born...a bit different...from her people. Her people are ahhh.... kinda like monks I guess. Telepathic monks at that. She's not, and she's full of all those nasty emotions. She wants to be "normal" The H, out of a sense of responsibility, takes her on as a crew member in a ship that sounds like it's barely lar
Book Monitor
I am not a huge sci-fi/romance fan but I actually enjoyed this. Yes it is a bit too formulaic and yes it is a book that quite frankly you know what the outcome is going to be before you open it but nonetheless for it's genre and type it was an enjoyable read with a few twists and turns before it got to the inevitable conclusion. In my mind that's OK and the pacing of the book was fast enough to engage and I was interested enough to want to get to the end of the story. If you are not a fan of rom ...more
Kjirstin
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, space, future, romance
Such fun! I've enjoyed other similar books that were in my mom's possession from the '70s and '80s -- I'm thrilled to see that some of them are making their way into ebooks! The relationship is pure romance novel, but there's some interesting worldbuilding there as well, and I found myself extremely interested in the mystery of the Ghosts. I'll probably look up the rest of these books to see what can be discovered! Really, my only quibble would be that I'd have been happier with less detail for ...more
Raven R. (AvalonReadsBooks)
I got this thinking it went with the Harmony series... I was wrong.

Still, once I got adjusted to everything and got a good feel for the universe I was fine. It took me a while to warm up to both Cisra and Severance, but once they got off their high horses I was fine.

The book had a very good plot, a bit of a mystery which I always love and a great adventure amidst it all. I would have liked a bit more specific description a lot of it was a bit too vague. It was a good read though, will definite
Tory
I did enjoy the relationship between Teague and Cidra. They worked well together. If I was just basing the review on the relationship dynamice between Teague and Cidra, I would have given the book 4 stars. However, the plot was all over the place and I felt left a lot of holes. It was as if the last 1/3 of the book was a completely different story. Once they get pulled to the safehold and the alien/lizards. Also, in the end it didn't really explain what the point of the safehold and alien/lizard ...more
Lauren
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, I am way too happy with how this book turned out. I really knew nothing about it, except Susan Elizabeth Phillips recommended it on Facebook.

The world the author creates, along with the characters and the adventure are wonderful. The story often had me on the edge of my seat. And the romance was well developed and true to the characters. The world and premise really reminded me of Firefly and while it doesn't have all the great characters, I think it has some of the heart and sense of adven
Silver James
Sweet Starfire (Lost Colony, #1) by Jayne Ann Krentz I've read this book before and for some reason, when I was between "GOTTA READ RIGHT NOWs", I grabbed this one off the shelf. This book laid the groundwork for her Harmony series, though this book isn't part of the series. LOVE the series, and it's always fun to return to the roots.
Amber
I dug this. The language is definitely dated but in spite of that it still had a badass lady in it. I mean, she wasn't the rack 'em up type, but I think bravery in the face of fear and adversity is pretty damn badass. The story itself? *shrug* but I just really dug the heroine and the hero was okay too I guess.
Okay for Aayesha
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • To Tame the Hunter
  • Heart Quest (Celta's Heartmates, #5)
  • Surrender
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz

Lost Colony (3 books)
  • Crystal Flame (Lost Colony, #2)
  • Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Don't Say A Word
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)