Start by marking “Welcome to Sunday: An Introduction to Worship in the Episcopal Church” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Sunday: An Introduction to Worship in the Episcopal Church

Welcome to Sunday: An Introduction to Worship in the Episcopal Church

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The perfect book for newcomers who are often confused by the worship service, Welcome to Sunday is also an excellent book for those who have been sitting in the pews without fully understanding what happens on Sunday morning.

Episcopal priest Christopher Webber takes the reader from the sidewalk outside the church, guides them through the service, and sends them out again
Published December 1st 2002 by Morehouse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Sunday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Sunday

Jean Marie Angelo
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My spiritual director loaned me this book. It is a thin volume that takes a thorough approach to worship.

Even after 20 years, I am still puzzled about what to do and when to do it when serving on the altar. The author outlines the Episcopal approach to worship, along with the seasons of the church. The language is plain and understandable, but the meaning is stirring and inspiring. There are plenty of simple explanations: we sit to listen, we stand to praise, we kneel to pray. But there are pass
Cassandra
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A really good book on the whats and whys of the Episcopal church and its services. Webber explains a lot of the customs (and variations on those customs) that a new member or visitor will encounter when going to a service as well as an explanation of the liturgical year. I finally have a better understanding of what all that standing and kneeling is all about!

It doesn't and can't explain everything that happens in a service, but is a good primer for those wondering if this denomination is right
Merys Kelleher
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This nicely balanced introduction to Episcopal worship gives relevant and detailed descriptions af what is happening and why while avoiding information overload. When I'd finished the last page, I felt ready to walk into an Episcopal church with not only a basic understanding of what to expect but also that I'd been given the tools to truly connect with the service as a full participant despite the fact that I haven't been in a church of any kind for over 30 years. Well done!
Susan Becraft
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent study for pre-confirmation

I was asked to read this book and two others before being confirmed in the Episcopal church. This book clearly explains the worship service and the meaning behind each step. For anyone who is unclear of what takes place in an Episcopal service, I highly recommend this book.
Stephen
Mar 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
So THAT's why we do that!

This book taught me quite a bit about how the Sunday service is structured and how many of the rituals came about. Because of this book, I have even been able to explain parts of the service to some of the "cradle Episcopalians" at my church.
Greg
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An easy to read guide to the worship practice of the Episcopal Church.
Gary
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bri
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best resource I've ever come across for newcomers to the Episcopal Church, or for those looking for a bit of a primer.
B.
Jul 28, 2016
Tracy
Aug 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
"Priest, poet, and farmer" is the short summary. After many years of ministry in inner city, overseas (Tokyo), suburban, and rural locations I lived for twenty years in the northwest corner of Connecticut. Twenty acres of woods, garden, and orchard provided an excellent balance to writing. There's no better cure for writer's block than splitting some more firewood. Less than two years ago, however ...more
More about Christopher L. Webber...