Start by marking “Their Finest Hour and a Half” as Want to Read:
Their Finest Hour and a Half

Their Finest Hour and a Half

In 1940, every draft of every film script had to be approved by the Ministry of Information. Cast and crew were waiting to be called up at any moment, travel was restricted and filming was interrupted by regular bombing raids. And so it is that we find a disparate group of characters whose paths would never have crossed in peacetime: Ambrose Hilliard, a washed up old ham f ...more
Published 2010 by Transworld (Black Swan) (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Their Finest Hour and a Half, please sign up.
Lissa Evans The book was originally published as 'Their Finest Hour and a Half', but was then made into a film called, simply, 'Their Finest.' A re-issue of the…moreThe book was originally published as 'Their Finest Hour and a Half', but was then made into a film called, simply, 'Their Finest.' A re-issue of the original book was given the same title as the film.(less)
Barbetta Moffatt
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Violet wells
Their Finest Hour is about the making of a movie during the blitz. Initially I was struck by the lovely subtle wit of the voice of this. Such a smooth gliding surface to her prose like a layer of freshly fallen snow. Evans did a fine job of setting up the novel, evoking the atmosphere and telling little details of the times really well. The research seamlessly stitched into the fabric and adding a great deal of vitality of colour. However it began to become apparent that this novel is too long. ...more
❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀
3.5 stars.

Set in England during World War II, this is a character driven story about the making of a movie under the most stressful of circumstances. Writers, actors, directors, crew and their accompanying egos all muddle in together to tell the story of two sisters who took part in the Dunkirk evacuation. Equal parts hilarity and pathos ensue.

I loved most of the characters, with the exception of Ambrose. I spent a good part of the book wishing a bomb would land on him. I see what you did there
Roger Brunyate
Dunkirk at the Odeon

I so loved Lissa Evans' recent novel Crooked Heart, about a precocious boy and crafty woman making common cause in the London Blitz, that I immediately ordered this earlier book, set in the same period. Besides, I was tickled by the title and its cheeky rewriting of Churchill's famous phrase about the Battle of Britain heroes. Only it is not so cheeky as it sounds, for Evans' subject is the making of a patriotic movie about Dunkirk, and ninety minutes in those days was the st
Palmyrah
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is just about perfect: expertly written in a style reminiscent of the literary fashions of the 1940s; full of wonderful characters that begin as stereotypes and take on flesh in an extraordinary way; expertly plotted and paced, with each development and surprise perfectly timed; unsentimental yet full of feeling; painstakingly researched; and on top of all that, it tells an absolutely fascinating story.

That story is set in 1940-41 and tells of the making of a British propaganda film ab
Robert Ronsson
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you read simply for the joy of being transported to a different time and place in the company of easy-to-get-on-with characters. If the book is amusing so much the better. On this basis Their Finest Hour and a Half ticks all the boxes. The insufferably self-absorbed actor is a special delight.
The writing never over-reaches itself and is therefore satisfying and easily digestible - a chicken-soup of a book.
A great holiday read that contains, according to my 92 year old Mum, the most rea
Elizabeth Buchan
Gloriously funny and touching in places, it shines a comic light on a little thought about corner of the war effort.
Jamie Collins
4.5 stars, really good! This is a novel about the making of a film in London during the worst of the Blitz, in 1940-41. Bombs are falling almost nightly, and every morning people worry about anyone who’s late to work. Despite that the book is very funny, as well as being poignant, and the setting feels absolutely vivid.

The Ministry of Information has commissioned a movie meant to boost the morale of the British people and to enlist the sympathy of filmgoers in the United States. The writers take
niri
@ SAM CLAFLIN TURN ON YOUR FUCKING LOCATION I WANNA FIGHT
Lata
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2017-read, auth-f
3.5-4 stars. Initial thoughts: Interesting to learn about how early propaganda films in England were handled, and while the misogyny and racism of the time was not surprising. I liked a couple of the characters, though I found myself very irritated by how things worked out for Ambrose. I liked Catrin (or however her name was spelled) and her unwillingness to lie in her screenplays, and how she learned the ropes.
Jane
Jan 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
London. 1940. There’s a war on, and it doesn’t look like being over any time soon. That’s why the Ministry of Information is looking to make a film. A film to boost morale, and maybe draw the USA a little closer to what is going on in Europe. Propaganda? Well why not?!

It’s not going to be easy, with so many of the country’s finest unavailable. But it makes a wonderful story.

It is told through four characters, on separate paths that will, of course, converge.

First there’s Catrin Cole. She comes f
Anmiryam
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lissa Evans won my heart with Crooked Heart and this American release of her earlier WWII novel has a solid place on the shelf as well. Evans has a gift for delivering stories that bring familiar periods to life in new ways. In THEIR FINEST, we are invited into the lives of the mismatched crew involved in the making of a patriotic film in the crucial years of 1940-41. There's the over-the-hill, self-obsessed former leading man who hasn't yet realized he is no longer matinee idol material, a youn ...more
Nicola Mcfall
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This book didn't really live up my expectations after reading the blurb on the cover. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't as gripping as I had hoped it would be. I didn't fall in love with any of the characters (unless we are counting the dog which I grew fond of! lol!) so I wasn't breaking my neck to keep lifting the book to see what had happened to them. It's strange because the stories should have been something I enjoyed but there was something missing that I just cannot put my finger on! I suspe ...more
Susann
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anglophiles who enjoy reading about WWII life on the homefront
Recommended to Susann by: Kate S.
So grateful that Kate S. recommended this and that a friend was able to bring me a copy from her recent London trip. Last I checked, this terrific novel is inexplicably still unavailable in the U.S.

I'm having trouble coming up with anything beyond the platitudinous: "rich characters"; "highly readable"; "well-researched"; "I laughed; I cried." But it's all true and I look forward to re-reading this someday (not something I often say about adult novels).
Teresa
Apr 03, 2016 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I read about half of this, and it just seems to be spinning its wheels and not getting anywhere much. It's not terrible, just not particularly good, despite the occasional funny moments, and I'd rather be reading something else.
Kimberly
Lately, I’ve been gravitating to WWII novels and I find myself really enjoying them. This came at the perfect time.

It’s interesting to read what people experienced during wartime. I find myself amazed at how strong and resilient people were. I think it’s human nature to deal with what is at hand, and break down later, if that is indeed what a person ends up doing. But, while many individuals are emotionally and/or physically scarred by war, they also often become more resilient if they are able
Melinda Elizabeth
Their Finest Hour and a Half, set in the midst of the Blitz in WWII, follows the production of a movie that is set to rally the troops and wow the American audience.

The set up of the main characters lends itself more to a visual medium rather than a novel I found. In what you could easily see as an introduction to an ensemble cast ala "Inglorious Bastards", there is quite a bit of time setting up the premise of the story.

Ambrose, the washed up actor injects some much needed humour into the story
Debbie
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usually books and movies about Dunkirk make me teary-eyed. But Lissa Evan’s book, Their Finest, made me laugh out loud several times. Catrin Cole is hired as a writer by the War Department to make propaganda films because of her talent in writing women’s dialog for advertisements. The War Department is anxious to get America’s support for the war and they are hoping a few good propaganda films may help. When it comes to light that 2 young women assisted at Dunkirk by taking their father’s boat o ...more
Gill
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: month-05, library, 2019
This felt a little like Sarah Waters' The Night Watch but with humour, and a dog.

Not as good as Evans' Crooked Heart but very enjoyable nonetheless.
Maine Colonial
Five-star story, one-star narration

Just a note to say that the book is wonderful, but stay away from the audiobook. Peter Wickham was a terrible choice to read a book that has so much female dialog. Most of his female voices sound like children or Monty Python housewives. That’s a particular annoyance when he voices one of the main characters, Catrin Cole. It was also hard to differentiate the voices of some of his male characters from each other.

Please read the book—and see if you can find the
Sonia
Dec 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mbta
A fine recommendation from Kate and Susann, two of my favorite readers! Good character development throughout, except for the American, but I feel like that's a sign of the genre (20th c. British war fiction). Of course it's a story about filmmaking, so this is an unfair and silly criticism, but to me it felt like it was leaning towards its own BBC serialization a little too heavily.

Addendum 5/17: just saw the film version and enjoyed it tremendously. Bill Nighy as Ambrose and Eddie Marsan as hi
Monical
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the start, I thought this would be a fluffy bit of a book, but about a quarter of the way through the main plot kicked in and I totally changed my mind. A really satisfying read-- enjoyed the characters, who were well drawn and fleshed out (even the dog!), and the plot moved well with a great structure. I'd say more but that would involve spoilers. let's just say this was one of the best books I've read this year!
Constance
a bit of a slog so far at 2/3 way through. I wish I could remember why the publisher's rep made me want to read this.
This definitely picked up toward the end, but still many of the characters were underdeveloped. I'd say it's a solid 2 1/2.
Julie Cohen
A really enjoyable story about making a propaganda feature film during WWII. Beautifully written, lots of fun, but with a deep and absorbing commentary on the nature of courage.
Ophelinha
Good story, interesting plot, potentially fascinating characters, but somehow the whole mix lacks vitality and strength and the narration is ever so slow I had to struggle to go through the book.
David
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gentle look at London under bombardment at the start of WW2 and the filming of a government sanctioned movie of the evacuation of Dunkirk. Quite witty and easy to read.
Lynn
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good well researched read but not as good as Crooked Heart.
Linden
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set during the blitz, a screenwriter writes a script for a film about Dunkirk. There are many quirky and endearing characters with lots of humor and sadness. Outstanding.
Narrative Muse
– Their Finest boldly lives up to its name and claim –

I’m one of those people: the kind who likes to read the book before watching the movie, if possible. So as soon as Lissa Evans’ (Crooked Heart, Old Baggage) comedic and tender novel Their Finest was reprinted, I was on it, devouring its pages in anticipation of the then-upcoming movie (spectacularly reviewed by the incomparable Alana Bruce). I found the book and movie to complement each other perfectly, while still being able to stand on thei
SueKich
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
War, war - but bore, bore.

Set in 1940, this is the story of two women caught up in their contributions to the war effort. One is Catrin, an ad agency copywriter with a gift for dialogue, who gets conscripted into the world of propaganda films. The other, Edith, works at Madame Tussauds, gets caught up in the bombing and becomes involved with the production of the film around which the story revolves.

This is a bright and breezy read which failed to engage me quite as much as I’d hoped. It is rath
Mount Prospect Public Library
One of our patrons called to ask about this title, and his enthusiasm was contagious! At the center is a young woman who is hired to write the 'sentimental' parts of a WWII propaganda film to boost morale. Historical drama, comic elements, and a UK film adaptation has just come to US theaters. A new copy is on its way (digital, too), and when we're ready for warm and engaging, this will be on the short list.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Bluebirds
  • Daughters of Eden
  • Few Eggs and No Oranges: The Diaries of Vere Hodgson 1940-45
  • Fred & Edie
  • The Kingdom by the Sea
  • An Empty Death (DI Ted Stratton, #2)
  • World War II London Blitz Diary, Volume 1
  • The Age of Treachery (Duncan Forrester Mystery #1)
  • There'll Be Blue Skies (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #1)
  • Land Girls (Land Girls #1)
  • Ambulance Girls (Ambulance Girls #1)
  • Henrietta's War: News from the Home Front 1939-1942
  • The Love-charm of Bombs: Restless Lives in the Second World War
  • Miss Ranskill Comes Home
  • The Still Point
  • The Tide Watchers (The Tide Watchers #1)
  • Cuckoo in the Nest
  • Silence over Dunkerque
After a brief career in medicine, and an even briefer one in stand-up, Lissa Evans became a comedy producer, first in radio and then in television. Her first novel, Spencer's List, was published in 2002, and since then she has written three more books for adults (two of them longlisted for the Orange/Baileys Prize) and two for children (the first of them shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal). Her tw ...more
“window had been. ‘They want yer,’ he said. ‘Relentless,” 0 likes