Start by marking “The Secret Files of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Secret Files of Sherlock Holmes

The Secret Files of Sherlock Holmes (Secret Sherlock Holmes #1)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  323 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
As many fans of Sherlock Holmes will recall, "Somewhere in the vaults of the bank of Cox and Co., at Charing Cross, there is a travel-worn and battered tin dispatch box with my name, John H. Watson, M.D., Late Indian Army, painted upon the lid." Tantalizing information, this - mentioned in passing by the good doctor, perhaps literature's most celebrated chronicler, at the ...more
Published February 1st 1994 by O. Penzler Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Files of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Files of Sherlock Holmes

Robert Hepple
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
A small selection of 7 Sherlock Holmes mysteries first published in 1990. In other words, a pastiche based around some pretext explaining why they were withheld for so long. They are quite nicely done despite having a small amount of self parody (Holmes expresses surprise in a sarcastic way when Watson is unable to meet him due to a prior appointment with a patient) and possibly a little to much modern hindsight. An enjoyable bit of fun.
Blogbaas Van 'tVliegend Eiland
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
7,5/10
Tim Robinson
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Only two of these stories really qualify as mysteries; the rest are merely adventures. Also, I don't think the author has quite mastered Holmes' way of speaking, and her Lestrade drops far too many h's. However, her Watson is completely convincing and overall I enjoyed the book.
Fanny
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How should I start?

Picked this up since I am always up for anything Sherlock - except when it comes to RDJ (no offence, but I hate his portrayal of Sherlock I'd like to pretend that the movie never exists).

Halfway through, I am bored. The way this author writes the cases is definitely interesting, but somehow there's no Sherlock-ish(?) feeling to the characters.

Eventually I fast forwarded the last few chapters because although the cases are nice read, it just didn't feel like it was solved by
Vikas Datta
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recreates the Great Detective and his Loyal Biographer and their age perfectly.. the mysteries are not that impenetrable (nor were some of the original canon for that matter) but the pleasure of seeing Mr Holmes in action again far overtakes such issues. The only false note (to some extent) was a little cavalier treatment of Inspector Lestrade...
Caitlin
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holmesian
I think there was a review on this website that said "competent", and I have to agree. I'm not sure if it was Thomson's writing style, or some other factor, but I found the stories to be lacking something. Although, the cases did have some interesting and thought out details.
Calvin Daniels
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aa-holmes-have
More a 3.75

Still very interesting shorts. I like a good short because I like playing a long to see if I can get to the same conclusion as SH. I did OK on these stories.
notyourmonkey
Ehn. Competent, if uninspiring, "missing" case files based off of references to undocumented cases in canon. A pleasant diversion but nothing grabbing.
Ted Savage
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a novel that should never end; much too short. An interesting perspective on what makes Holmes "tick."
Paula Calhau Silvestre
Dec 23, 2016
  • More Holmes for the Holidays
  • The Mammoth Book of the Lost Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Hidden Years
  • The Execution of Sherlock Holmes: And Other New Adventures of the Great Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Revenge of Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #2)
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • Encounters of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Dark Water: The Strange Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes
  • Bending the Willow: Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes
  • The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy
  • Sherlock Holmes and The Case of The Edinburgh Haunting
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders: From the American Chronicles of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Night Watch: A Long-Lost Adventure in Which Sherlock Holmes Meets Father Brown
June Thomson, a former teacher, has published 24 crime novels, 18 of which feature Detective Chief Inspector Jack Finch and his sergeant, Tom Boyce. She has also written six short story collections of Sherlock Holmes pastiches. Her books have been translated into many languages. She lives in St Albans in Hertfordshire.
More about June Thomson

Secret Sherlock Holmes (8 books)
  • The Secret Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes