Start by marking “The Addams Family: An Evilution” as Want to Read:
The Addams Family: An Evilution

The Addams Family: An Evilution

The Addams Family: An Evilution is the first book to trace The Addams Family history, presenting more than 200 cartoons created by Charles Addams (American, 1912-1988) throughout his prolific career; many have never been published before. Text by H. Kevin Miserocchi, director of the Tee and Charles Addams Foundation, offers a revealing chronology of each character's evolut ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Pomegranate Communications (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Addams Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Addams Family

Start your review of The Addams Family: An Evilution
Dan Schwent
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Addams Family: An Evilution collects over 200 cartoons featuring the Addams Family by Charles Addams.

Like most people, I was unaware that the Addams Family started life as one panel cartoons in The New Yorker in the 1920s. I picked this up on a whim and was quite entertained.

The Addams Family: An Evilution chronicles the evolution of the various members of the Addams Family from their humble beginnings until some time in the 1960s. Fun fact: They weren't known as the Addams Family until the
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
description
I had no idea just how old the Addams Family cartoons were until I found this great book. Full of graphic story artwork from as far back as 1912, it's not only gothic and hilarious, but a piece of history as well.
Sara
This was interesting. Here is a compilation of the Addams Family cartoons spanning several decades. I love Morticia. I'm definitely a fan of the Addams family. Some of the cartoons in here I actually didn't understand. I realized you really need to look at the background to see the joke in a lot of these but even then I sometimes didn't get it.

It's interesting to note Gomez in the cartoons is not the suave Gomez of the TV show or the movies. I personally like the Gomez in the TV show better than
Rui
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So, ever since I first discovered the Addams clan, at the age of 13, I’ve been oddly fascinated by these characters. I’ve never been particularly fond of the cartoon adaptations of the 90’s, but for some reason the film versions took hold of my imagination and never let go. In many ways I think I’ve always felt exactly as it is said in the introductory text of this book: “They might be scary, weird, creepy, and macabre, but The Addams Family is our secret envy. If only our family dinners could b ...more
Mayda
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, dark-humor
This fascinating book gives the history of the Addams family, from their conception in the imagination of Charles Addams through their development in the cartoons and on through to the television series and movies. It tells how Charles Addams envisioned them, and how they were changed to suit the various media adaptions. Included in the book are both published and previously unpublished cartoons. If you have ever enjoyed the drawings in their original form or snapped your fingers along with the ...more
Art the Turtle of Amazing Girth
I enjoyed the interesting early views and the explanations of who the family was and all, but I really thought this would be just the cartoons to read

They are in there, just not enough for me.

I'll just have to watch the tv show now.
Willow
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I adore the art of Chas Addams with his elongated trees, creepy houses and macabre humor. And this book has got to be the best I’ve read on his work. It’s filled with interesting tidbits, special unfinished sketches that I’d never seen, and is organized around each character. There are also special quotes from Addams and his opinions about each character. I learned from this book that Morticia was Chas’ dream girl. LOL

This is not the book to read if you are looking for everything Addams though.
Claudia
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
So you're familiar with the Addams family. If you are basing your knowledge on the live-action movies of the 1990's, the animated feature released in 2019 or even the television series that ran from 1964-1966, then you're missing out on many characters and the subtleties that Charles Addams included in his cartoon/illustrations.

Over 200 illustrations from 1940's through some collections published in 2005, nearly a quarter are unpublished. Most are rough sketches but the reader certainly understa
Eden
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
2020 bk 374. I love Charles Addams' cartoons. I have all but one of the collections published of the cartoons - and didn't realize that until I was reading this compilation. While I was hoping there would be lots of 'lovely' cartoons I had not seen, the real value in this volume is the glimpse into the written characterizations of the individual family members that Addams completed to help the actors for the filming of The Addams Family television show. If I have a complaint, it is that the book ...more
Alex
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightfully macabre book that provides a solid overview of the Addams Family art that was the basis for the television show and feature films. The book moves through each of the major characters (including the house) and provides a selection of comics that highlight the initial stages, progress sketches, and final products. There’s a good balance in this book with history and concepts identified to provide context, but not so much as to crowd out the main event that is the finished panels.
Josh
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book contains over 200 (out of over 1600) of the original Addams Family cartoons which ran from 1912-1988. All subsequent Addams family media (TV series, animated TV series, books, and movies) were based on these cartoons. Many of these have never been published.

I believe this is the largest collection of Addams Family cartoons available, and as such, is a must have for anyone who likes the Addams Family.
Nicole
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent collection that could’ve used a bit more explanatory text but a treat from beginning to end.
Alison
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I looooooved this! I grew up on the old television show so reading the history of how the creator came up with the characters was incredible! I absolutely love his illustrations of the family and would love to get my hands on an original one day!
Craig
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I'm not going to be objective about this: I have loved these comics since I was a kid, and revisiting them has been a real treat. Addams clearly loved them, and, as outsiders looking in, their macabre view of the mundane / mundane view of the macabre is a nice reminder of perception as a construct of experience and/ or lack thereof.
Daniel
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the Addams Family cartoons. No one else has quite the same twisted, macabre sense of humor as Charles Addams. He poked fun at so much with such wit, style, and fun that's it's hard not to smile or laugh. Go ahead, I dare you. Try to read about the history of the Addams Family characters and evolution without cracking a smile.
A
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, art, humor
Reading Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle reminded me of the Addams family as another "dark" yet lovable family, which lead me to this book. My father was the one who loved "cartoons" by artists such as Saul Steinberg, Chas Addams and Whitney Darrow, Jr. and introduced me to these kinds of drawings. (I found a pocketbook of Steinberg's drawings, Cartoons all in Line, after his death.)

This book gives insight into Addams' creation of his "family" and how they became a televisio
Krista
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When was Morticia originally "born"? Are Gomez and Uncle Fester siblings? How many toes Wednesday has? Where is the name Pusgley coming from? How was Lurch on the very first design by Charles Addams? Is the Thing just a hand? What are the secrets of the Addams' Mansion? And finally, whose mother is Gramma Frump?
In this album, all these questions and many more are answered!!! The designs by C. Addams are wonderful and ...evilutionary :)
Lyle Blosser
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful introduction into the creation of the characters that became known as "The Addams Family" with insightful historical narrative on the development of each. With a number of previously unpublished Addams works.
Pratima Vaska
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have been in love with these characters for so long it was delightful to have know how these characters were born. The book also houses some of the original work by the artist and the published cartoon stripes from New Yorker.
Liz
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Love it. Dark and delicious.
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february-2018
This is one of the coolest things ever. It's got so many pictures from long ago and even some back ground info on the characters. It's perfect for my collection. I couldn't be happier.
Ashley Trueblood
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very cool to see all the original cartoons and characterizations in one book
Abraham Ray
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Great collection and history of the Addams family!
Mitchell Hahn-Branson
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the ‘90s movies and look forward to watching the TV show eventually, but this is the most altogether ooky version of these characters.
Aditya  Singh
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gives you the chills you need this time of the year.
Bob
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read-books
It creepie and it’s kookie...
Casseroll
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Nostalgic. Didn't know the artist hated children. Not cool. Interesting that he didn't want kids but drew them in his comics. Colored my feelings on the comics.
Tanu
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite 😍 How could I forget to rate this book. This is now in my memories.
Benjamin Johnson
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've always loved The Addams Family, so it was really interesting to learn about where they came from and see their "Evilution."
Lauren Lee
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Adorable, I just wish we could see them all!

• Stranger Planet
  • Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 1
  • Hilda and the Mountain King (Hilda, #6)
  • Phantom Manor : l'Attraction Décryptée
  • 青のフラッグ 2 [Ao no Flag 2] (Blue Flag, #2)
  • Blue Flag, Vol. 1
  • Shahrazad,  Vol. 1: Gods and Monsters
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • BEASTARS 13 (Beastars, #13)
  • One piece―尾田栄一郎画集 Color Walk 7 TYRANNOSAURUS [One Piece Oda Eiichirō gashū Color Walk 7 TYRANNOSAURUS]
  • One piece―尾田栄一郎画集 Color Walk 5 SHARK [One Piece Oda Eiichirō gashū Color Walk 5 SHARK]
  • Goth Girl and the Fete Worse than Death (Goth Girl, #2)
  • Tokyo Ghost: Complete Edition
  • The Lone Ranger: The Devil's Rope
  • Die, Vol. 2: Split the Party
  • Pirate Stew
  • Dr. Seuss on the Loose
Chas Addams was a cartoonist best known for creating "The Addams Family" comic characters which have been adapted for a variety of media. His signature style was single panels of macabre humor.

News & Interviews