Start by marking “The Addams Family: An Evilution” as Want to Read:
The Addams Family: An Evilution

The Addams Family: An Evilution

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  284 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
The Addams Family: An Evilution is the first book to trace The Addams Family history, presenting more than 200 cartoons created by Charles Addams (American, 1912-1988) throughout his prolific career; many have never been published before. Text by H. Kevin Miserocchi, director of the Tee and Charles Addams Foundation, offers a revealing chronology of each character's evolut ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Pomegranate Communications (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Addams Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Addams Family

Rebecca McNutt
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
description
I had no idea just how old the Addams Family cartoons were until I found this great book. Full of graphic story artwork from as far back as 1912, it's not only gothic and hilarious, but a piece of history as well.
Sara
This was interesting. Here is a compilation of the Addams Family cartoons spanning several decades. I love Morticia. I'm definitely a fan of the Addams family. Some of the cartoons in here I actually didn't understand. I realized you really need to look at the background to see the joke in a lot of these but even then I sometimes didn't get it.

It's interesting to note Gomez in the cartoons is not the suave Gomez of the TV show or the movies. I personally like the Gomez in the TV show better than
Rui
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So, ever since I first discovered the Addams clan, at the age of 13, I’ve been oddly fascinated by these characters. I’ve never been particularly fond of the cartoon adaptations of the 90’s, but for some reason the film versions took hold of my imagination and never let go. In many ways I think I’ve always felt exactly as it is said in the introductory text of this book: “They might be scary, weird, creepy, and macabre, but The Addams Family is our secret envy. If only our family dinners could b ...more
Willow
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I adore the art of Chas Addams with his elongated trees, creepy houses and macabre humor. And this book has got to be the best I’ve read on his work. It’s filled with interesting tidbits, special unfinished sketches that I’d never seen, and is organized around each character. There are also special quotes from Addams and his opinions about each character. I learned from this book that Morticia was Chas’ dream girl. LOL

This is not the book to read if you are looking for everything Addams though.
Craig
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I'm not going to be objective about this: I have loved these comics since I was a kid, and revisiting them has been a real treat. Addams clearly loved them, and, as outsiders looking in, their macabre view of the mundane / mundane view of the macabre is a nice reminder of perception as a construct of experience and/ or lack thereof.
Daniel
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the Addams Family cartoons. No one else has quite the same twisted, macabre sense of humor as Charles Addams. He poked fun at so much with such wit, style, and fun that's it's hard not to smile or laugh. Go ahead, I dare you. Try to read about the history of the Addams Family characters and evolution without cracking a smile.
A
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, non-fiction, humor
Reading Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle reminded me of the Addams family as another "dark" yet lovable family, which lead me to this book. My father was the one who loved "cartoons" by artists such as Saul Steinberg, Chas Addams and Whitney Darrow, Jr. and introduced me to these kinds of drawings. (I found a pocketbook of Steinberg's drawings, Cartoons all in Line, after his death.)

This book gives insight into Addams' creation of his "family" and how they became a televisio
Marty Jay
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
⭐⭐⭐⭐
Alazzar
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first (and thus far only) collection of Addams Family cartoons I've read, and I can't imagine a better introduction to Charles Addams's work.

I was already familiar with the family going into this book, from watching the show and movies as a kid, but I wouldn't say I was a "fan." However, after someone posted some of the original cartoons on Facebook, the TV show's theme song started running through my head and I was suddenly curious to see what its source material was like.

The great
Charles
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Although bylined as "by Kevin Miserocchi", this book is actually by Charles Addams. It includes every cartoon he ever created featuring any or all members of the Addams Family, plus some prototype versions of the characters. Many of the cartoons are previously unpublished, rough versions of ideas Addams never carried to fully drafted, watercolored fruition, but they are wonderful to see and give the thrill of actual undiscovered Addams decades after their creator's death. In addition to the cart ...more
Rui Alex
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rui by: Rui Leite
Shelves: 2013, cartoon
Só conhecia a Família Addams pelos seus filmes, desconhecia que eram adaptações de cartoons e desconhecia o seu criador, pelo que este livro foi perfeito para mim.
Com muitas notas informativas, algumas escritas pelo próprio cartoonista, e agrupadas por cada uma das personagens, foi muito agradável conhecer as estranhas mas sobretudo ternas personagens. Muitos cartoons fizeram-me sorrir e aos poucos maravilhava-me com a natureza peculiar da família, mas alguns deles não entendi, talvez só os fãs
Eve Kay
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When I saw this picture of Chas Addams and his wife I felt a certain kind of kinderhsip.

photo imagesTM7T1KE5_zps3a8emgqx.jpg

I mean, I want that. To be standing together with my loved one when I'm gray and old. There is something "dark and gloomy" about the picture (like Wednesday refers to the house they live in) and that's also something appealing to me.
I knew I had to get my hands on Evilution to see if we'd have a connection of the mind as well and we sure do! I always prefer the original to copies so Evilution is really frui
Brandy Shark
The Addams Family that I am most familiar with is the family from the early 1990s film series, and the cartoon based on the TV show.

I had seen a few of the comics floating around the internet, and of course I knew that the TV show and following films and franchise were based on the comics. So, I was happy to come along this book that includes many, if not all, of the Addams family comics collected in print. The characters are slightly different from those of the TV show and movies, but still ex
louisa
Mar 14, 2011 added it
Shelves: art
The copy is a little fawning, but the primary documents to live for. Includes the character descriptions Addams wrote for the television series as well as fifty years of printed cartoons and sketches. Organized by character (Fester! Wednesday! Morticia! and in a surprise contender for best character, Gomez). This review reprints a few of my favorites: http://gothicteasociety.blogspot.com/.... Scroll down for "The little dears! They still believe in Santa Claus." and "Just the kind of day that ma ...more
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: addams
As always, Addams's art is stellar. The plethora of unpublished works makes this a must own, in particular the piece with Uncle Fester delivering a car load of kitties to a bird sanctuary! The text though, ugh. Badly written and badly structured. This should have been done chronologically, instead of character based. It's an intrusion. Let the work speak for itself, but if you must have words, let Addams speak for himself, don't try to force your interpretations on the work or us. Also I totally ...more
Alexandria
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I've been an Addams family fan for most of my life. This book has a ton of the original comics as well as a lot of insight into the man who created the iconic family. An absolute must-read for anyone who likes the Addams family, I enjoyed every page of this book.
Yosef Shapiro
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
This book provides you with some insight into the characters created by Chas Adams. A short introduction is included to explain the motivations of each character. However, it is far from a comprehensive collection.
Rashid Darden
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was cute. Comprehensive, provided a lot of insight into the transition from the comics to the television show. I would have liked to have known a little more about Charles Addams himself, though, and how he liked the other incarnations of his work.
Lucy
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've loved Chas Adams for years. And here's a book to tell me how the characters came to be and how they eventually became a family. Reprinted are many of my favorites plus some I'd never seen before as well as some never published before and some preliminary sketches.
Candice
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustrated
It is great to learn about the history of this beloved family. Plus, full page illustrations! I would recommend to anyone who is interested in the Addams family or cartooning/illustrations.
Tommy
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really good, really funny, really interesting.
Diana
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Great Cartoons.
Rob
Cute answer to the family circus sweetness that finds a way to point to the darker elements of the love bonds between family.
Shannon
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the original cartoons/comics of The Addams Family! There wasn't much to read, only on individual characters and their development over time.
Will
May 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Neat! Petite.
Astrid
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one! I loved reading about the backstory of the characters and how their personalities were originally! The art was great as well. Really quick and enjoyable to flip through!
Cindy
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun look at the old New Yorkers cartoons and the inspirations for the 60's show.
Jason
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read Twice - love the dark humor and this is a history of how the characters evolved before the TV show
Veronica
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked being able to read about the different characters. I kind of wish that the comics were in chronological order though.
Tasha
  • Archie: The Married Life Book 1
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: Sergio Aragonés
  • Frankenstein Underground
  • Revival Deluxe Collection Volume 1
  • Confessions of a Texan in Tokyo (Texan & Tokyo, #3)
  • Baby Blues: Ten Years and Still in Diapers: A Baby Blues Treasury
  • Popcorn
  • Batman '66, Vol. 2
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 4: A Town Called Penance (The Sixth Gun, #4)
Chas Addams was a cartoonist best known for creating "The Addams Family" comic characters which have been adapted for a variety of media. His signature style was single panels of macabre humor.
More about Charles Addams...