Start by marking “Faster Pastor (St. Dale, #3)” as Want to Read:
Faster Pastor (St. Dale, #3)

Faster Pastor (St. Dale #3)

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  109 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Camber Berkley, a young stock car driver, wrecks his car on a winding mountain road, landing right in the midst of the funeral of an elderly NASCAR fan. As punishment for his spectacular car wreck, the local authorities of the small Tennessee town of Judas Grove give him a choice: serve three months in jail for reckless driving, or spend two weeks teaching the local minist ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Ingalls Publishing Group (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Faster Pastor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faster Pastor

Judith Geary
Fastor Pastor has everything fans have come to expect from a Sharyn McCrumb novel and more.
As always, the characters are people we come to know, portrayed with a wry but sensitive ironic humor. The breathtaking excitement of the action sequences must owe a lot to the hand of co-author NASCAR/ARCA driver Adam Edwards but their voices blend seamlessly.
The “pastors” racing for a million-dollar purse in this race, funded by the will of a life-long racing fan, have motives as varied as any batch of
Nancy
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This has to be the quirkiest series of books ever, but I love them all. An easy read, with not much of a mystery at all. But the characters -- oh McCrumb is expert at showing the depth and breadth of folks, especially those easy to see as shallow stereotypes.
Tammy
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Susheel John
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Faster,Pastor was an unexpectedly entertaining book to read. Christians often get poorly portrayed in the media so I was a bit auctions at first. But when we are introduced to the different racers, I was glad to see that this was not another Church-bashing book. Being a pastor myself, I could identify with some of the sentiments expressed and this helped make it more entertaining. Camber's unlikely predicament makes for good reading for anyone wanting something to put a smile on their face. And ...more
Linda Owen
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I have not read the first two in this series, but this story stands alone. A bit too much NASCAR and stock car racing detail for me, and the premise is totally unbelievable -- a racing fan dies and leaves his immense collection to be auctioned off and the proceeds given to the local minister who wins a race against his peers. There's a likable protagonist and a lot of enjoyable characters, so one must finish the story. Again, I like the Appalachian setting details.
Cathy
I got this book for my husband, as it seemed to be a funny guy-type story. He liked it so much that he thought I should read it. The NASCAR technical details lost my interest, but the plot was funny, with the different pastors training for a car race to benefit their churches/ministries. The way that the race instructor was un-framed was also funny. I must also say that these pastors and their congregations are "unusual," not typically what one would find in attending a church.
Carol
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, stand-alone
I have loved most of Sharyn's work, from the funny sci-fi parodies to the Ballad novels and everything in between, except for her racing novels. I've never been able to get into those. I thought I'd try again with this one, and I'm so glad I did. This novel was funny and well-written - a good collaboration between Sharyn and a race car driver.
David Turner
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
A very breezy novel about pastors who are forced into a NASCAR-style race to win an inheritance worth millions of a dearly departed racing enthusiast. A even-handed assessment of snake handling from a snake handling pastor is included as well as a heavy handed humorous (and accurate) glimpse into the megachurches.
Pat
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a pleasant surprise. I enjoy Sharon McCrumb's stories and felt it would be good simply for that reason. The book is cute and interesting about circumstances that leave us wondering why,and faith that we can make it through the worst of them. Very good story. Even if I am not a NASCAR fan!
Barbara
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Not great literature, but I do love Sharyn McCrumb! All I know about NASCAR I learned from her book St. Dale and now this one! I started reading her with the Rosewood Casket and now I read everything she writes.
Nancy Holloman
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Author annoyed me by talking down. I didn't need to be reminded every single time that one of the nine racers had previous experience. Not being a racing fan I found Racing in the Rain a much better tale with the same setting. This story was innocuous but it had no heart.
Donna
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
I love Sharyn McCrumb's writing, but didn't care for this story. I care nothing about racing. Some problems with copyediting during the final chapters of the book. Book didn't go into the paths I'd expected. Will pick up more of her books ... just not ones about racing.
Helen
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable summer read; believable plot; great descriptions
Bonnie
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
A fun read, I enjoyed it very much. Can't wait for her latest to come out.
Debi Levins
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a really great book, the only reason I didn't give it "amazing" status is because I'm just not that into NASCAR (Sorry Sharyn).
Bill Thomas
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you know nothing about NASCAR racing this is the book to learn the basics. Plot is amusing and inventive. Funny throughout. A really good read.
Terry Lund knuth
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Only read this because My husband were on a trip to NC with my (former ) pastor and his wife, when we spotted this on a table at a local winery. Not a great book, but I did enjoy it....
Bill Finley
May 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book lacks the complexity found in her earlier stories.
Brenda
Aug 22, 2011
Cyndi Fowles
Nov 25, 2011
Sally
rated it did not like it
May 02, 2015
Diana Gotsch
Dec 23, 2012
Nancy Jamerson
Jul 27, 2011
Lucy Moulton
Mar 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Rock & Roll Queen of Bedlam: A Wise-Cracking Tale of Secrets, Peril, and Murder!
  • The Grim Reaper's Dance (Grim Reaper Mystery, #2)
  • Coal River
  • Something's Rising: Appalachians Fighting Mountaintop Removal
  • Triptych
  • The History of Lucy's Love Life in Ten and a Half Chapters
  • One Grave Less (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #9)
  • Blue and Gold
  • Murder in Vein (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery, #1)
  • Revenant (Zoe Martinique, #4)
  • The Double Cross (Someday Quilts Mystery, #3)
  • To Wish or Not to Wish (As You Wish, #3)
  • The Loving Dead
  • Cat Coming Home (Joe Grey, #16)
  • Thresholds (Magic Next Door, #1)
  • Discovering (Lily Dale #4)
  • Mercy Kill (Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #2)
  • Ghost in Trouble (Bailey Ruth, #3)

Sharyn McCrumb, an award-winning Southern writer, is best known for her Appalachian “Ballad” novels, including the New York Times best sellers The Ballad of Tom Dooley, The Ballad of Frankie Silver, and The Songcatcher. Ghost Riders, which won the Wilma Dykeman Award for Literature from the East Tennessee Historical Society and the national Audie Award for Best Recorded Books. The Unquiet Gra
More about Sharyn McCrumb...

St. Dale (3 books)
  • St. Dale (St. Dale, #1)
  • Once Around the Track (St. Dale, #2)