Start by marking “Purity in Death (In Death, #15)” as Want to Read:
Purity in Death (In Death, #15)

Purity in Death

(In Death #15)

Louie Cogburn had spent three days holed up in his apartment staring at his computer screen. His pounding headache was unbearable--it felt like spikes drilling into his brain.
And it was getting worse. Finally, when someone knocked at the door, Louie picked up a baseball bat, opened the door, and started swinging....

The first cop on the scene fired his stunner twice. Louie
Mass Market Paperback, 355 pages
Published August 27th 2002 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Purity in Death, please sign up.
Becky Tatar Yes. I came to the JD Robb books only a few years ago, and love them. The characters are great, and there is lots of clever dialogue. While they take…moreYes. I came to the JD Robb books only a few years ago, and love them. The characters are great, and there is lots of clever dialogue. While they take place around 2060, they are not so futuristic that the US isn't familiar. There are different tech toys, but you can work out what they are fairly easily. if you check jdrobb.com, there is a list of the books, a FAQ, and more. (less)

Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
I really had forgotten just how good these older books in the series were! This one has some of the most quotable quotes and the best repartee especially between Peabody and Eve. My family became irritated by how many bits I insisted on reading out loud.
As with all of the books there was much to enjoy as all of our favourite characters came out to play, some with only minor roles, but there nevertheless. Mavis popped up only briefly but had significant news. Jamie came back to visit and provided
Alex ♈
Suspense 4.5 stars / Romance 4.5 stars

It was one hell of a ride; extremely interesting and wicked suspense. A computer virus, which affected human brain and killed a person in a very cruel and painful way.

Justice sidesteps the law. I was conflicted.

They killed pedophile and other scam, who raped kids, who sold drugs to kids, who sold kids. All these inhumans deserved to be killed. The only and fatal mistake of the ‘jury’ was not to disable those, who was voted to be killed. If the virus made t
Carolyn
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, futuristic, crime
Another excellent instalment in this series! I really enjoy the interesting new plot ideas that Robb keeps thinking up. In this episode strange deaths are occurring. People are experiencing huge headaches and violent rage gradually building up to a giant meltdown and death, sometimes taking others with them who get in the way. It looks as if people are being specifically targetted and Eve and her team must figure out how and why before too many more deaths occur.
All the main characters are back
Jilly
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Ooh, a computer virus that actually infects the user and make them die a horribly painful death, and in this case it is sent to a bunch of child predators? Can we get a copy of that? Cuz, we could totally use something like that.

wow, this newspaper must come from the future! Also, just in case you were wondering, we find out Bigfoot is real in the future and has an alien baby.

But, darn! This virus is also causing some of these dying assholes to take some innocent people out with them before they
Mo
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another one over and done with. Getting old? Not a bit. If anything, I am getting more interested in their relationship ... Love them. I probably love Eve more than I love Roarke!!

Another grisly case. Plenty of bodies turning up. Plenty of blood and gore.

"Who does all the work out here, anyway?"
"Elves of course." he laughed and drew her into an arbored tunnel where hundreds of roses climbed and dripped onto green, shady ground.
"Imported from Ireland?"
"Naturally."

Some of the stuff was a bit tec
Mei
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary

Even for a seasoned homicide cop, the sight of that pulpy mass of grey matter on a sterile scale was a little off-putting.
“Definitely expanded her mind,” Morris said, “But it doesn’t appear she managed it by reading the great works of literature or exploring other cultures.”

right, no?

This is shining example why I love these books!!!

There’s always a very interesting crime/mystery, interspaced with hilarious, clever, fanny dialogue!!!

Here the mystery is really mysterious! We have a vigilante g
Ann Lou
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started this series I told myself to take it in little doses because the number of books is overwhelming and daunting. After reading 15 books straight I found myself wanting more. In other words, I am hooked. I am addicted. I love the characters so much. Eve can be a bitch sometimes but she's one hell of a cop. She wears her weapon the way another woman might a string of good pearls. My kind of woman. And Roarke, man, did I say he's perfect? Just perfect. He can do no wrong in my eyes. I ...more
Lauren
Purity in Death
4 Stars

Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her team are called in to investigate a seemingly routine case of heat induced rage, but soon discover that the perpetrator might have been the intended victim. When another man dies under similar circumstances, Eve begins to suspect that, although impossible, the men were infected by a computer virus. Can Eve find the culprit and stop their nefarious agenda before the contagion spreads?

With so many books in the series (#45 will be published in 201
Christa
The one where a cyber terrorist creates a computer virus that overstimulates the brain, causing aggression and death. The purity comes from the fact they only target horrible people. Also McNab gets seriously injured after a cop investigating gets infected and goes homicidal.

“His heart stopped. During the transpo. They had to zap him. It was only a few seconds, but I thought: What’ll I do? What’ll I do? He’s such an asshole,” Peabody said and burst into tears.

On a personal note Mavis is pregn
Emma James
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RATING: 4.5 STARS

I do love diving back into the In Death series. Roarke and Eve as a long series couple, always surprise me with their different level of emotion towards each other and in general with every new book I read in the series.

Lots alway going on in each book and I adore all the sub characters.

I do love a good twist just when you think you've predicted the villain...

This series would be so colorful as a TV series.

But who would be our Roarke?
Alex Cantone
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eve didn’t frequent the Blue Squirrel as often as she once had. It was a joint with no redeeming qualities, including the food and service. During the day, it catered to a handful of surly regulars and the occasional lost soul who was foolish enough to think he might scout a cheap meal and a little action...

2059. Across New York a number of horrific killings. The victims: the underbelly feeding off society - a drug pusher targeting schools, a paedophile, a pimp / blackmailer, all appear to suffe
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This was beyond ult. The idea of a computer virus killing people is amongst the most original things I've seen to date. I feel like a broken record saying this but this series just keeps getting better and better.
⚜️Trea
This installment was an interesting twist for me. I recognized that this was the start of Where It All Went Downhill for me the first time I read the series. That being said, I didn't feel that the events of this book warranted that kind of reaction as much. This one was a bit of a repeat of book 5, Ceremony in Death, and even book 11 Judgement in Death, which is what sparked the initial reaction in the first place. It even went so far as to bring one of the characters met in book 5's story into ...more
♥Sharon♥
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This one will be short and sweet.

I’m am running out of things to say about the books in this series. I continue to enjoy each one as much as the previous one.

With each book we get character development, reintroduction of characters from prior books with the promise of consistency and the plots continue to be interesting and engaging.

The writing is fabulous. J.D. Robb has struck gold with this series.

I hope more of my friends will give this series a try. Don’t let the number of books deter you.
❆ Crystal ❆
Eve, Peabody, Roarke and the gang all come together once again to nab some terrorist that bring a whole new meaning to "Computer Virus." It was great and very well done. A super nice twist at the end and I hope to hear more about Mavis in the next book. Awesome - 4 stars.
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read: 12-16 May 2013

2nd read: 2-9 June 2015
Lena
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cops-fbi, audio
64333619-54D6-4F06-B127-AD30EFE50B35.jpg

Someone has designed a computer virus that can kill and is using it to take out child abusers. While that is no great loss there are two problems:

1. Collateral Damage
2. Eve Dallas

This book was exciting! Really, there’s nothing so edge-of-your-seat visually exciting as bad guys doing bad things inside police plaza. Tension, testosterone, drama!
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

When Louie Cogburn experiences headaches so painful they feel like an ice pike going through his head, he reaches his final precipice. After being holed up in his apartment, he can’t escape it no matter how loud the keeps his music up. The pain remains and becomes more intense as time goes on.

Distressed neighbours complain and once someone knocks on his door, Louie snaps, swinging a baseball bat at the person until a cop arrives and must stun him twice in order to stop his rampage. In the end,
Jerry B
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic read, great premise, gripping emotional story...

This is the 15th novel in the Nora Roberts (writing as J.D. Robb) suspense/mystery/crime thriller series about NYC Homicide Lieutenant Eve Dallas. Supporting our leading lady is a cast of characters we have come to enjoy, including her billionaire husband Roarke; her aide (Ms.) Peabody; a young policeman named Trueheart (honest!); and electronic/computer cop specialists McNab and Feeney. A contemporary premise, that a PC virus could caus
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Finished another reread of Purity In Death. As always, I love the character & relationship development. There's a bit of a strain put on some relationships in this one - some rising from different core beliefs and others instigated by outside actions. It's always fascinating as well as heart-touching to watch these scenarios play out. The case & police procedural is, as always, excellent. Roarke joins the investigative team as the delivery of the crime is in his area of expertise, and he ...more
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book even though it is kind of a "spin off" of Rapture, a bit more detail on the inner workings, but still.

Seems like even today there is always a faction out there that believes everything they do is for the greater good regardless of their methods!

Lots of twists and turns, and don't you just love to hate "Chang"! Would love to see him recur somewhere down the road or at least find out what exactly happened to him. Maybe he's issuing press releases from Saturn 5 or some such place :
Beeg Panda
AUDIO:

The narrator speaks the writer’s words with total conviction. The delivery is genuine and she emotionally connects to the author's intent.

The pace/tempo is spot on.

The various characters' voices are perfectly matched. Each one with their own unique sound. Her accents perfectly define the characters.

Very well done. Ms Ericksen has spoiled me for other narrators.

Catherine
re-reading the whole series. Love it as much the second time around.
 Olivermagnus
Lieutenant Eve Dallas is dreading an evening out with some of her husband's business associates and is almost relieved to get an emergency call from one of her team, off-duty Officer Troy Trueheart. He's a nervous wreck and tells her he has killed a man named Louis K. Cogburn. Cogburn is a low level drug dealer who mostly sells to kids in his neighborhood but has never been a serious problem for the police. After taking a baseball bat to his neighbor and attacking Trueheart, he screams about spi ...more
Anita
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best in the series so far, even if I did guess the baddie. It was on the graphic side so beware. Always a well crafted plot and I love both Eve and Roarke and all the supporting characters.

While on the way to his date, a frantic woman screams for Officer Truelove's attention. The scene he finds is horrific and he is forced to use his weapon. Unfortunately, the assailant dies. Louie Cogburn is a low level illegals dealer who has been suffering for days with a pounding headache. He tak
Karla
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
15th book in the series and it just keeps getting better. The In Death books have not missed the mark yet. The story keeps evolving, not just for Eve and Roarke, but for Mavis, Peabody, McNab, Trueheart and Baxter too. Even Jamie, the teenage tech wiz and Roarke’s disciple, adds another dimension to the story. It's funny to see Eve dealing with a teenager and her new "family" as they work to solve another crime. It’s not just the mystery that draws you in…it’s the interest in people and their li ...more
Lisazj1
Ah Eve Dallas, never change! <3 I love Eve, and I love how much her viewpoint changes as she finds her "family" ever expanding and the bonds with them deepening, despite herself. :) And always, such a damn badass. It only makes my girl-crush bigger. Then there's Roarke. He's a badass all on his own of course, but it's the tender devotion, the way he loves and cares for Eve when she won't care for herself that really melts me.

I sincerely enjoy Eve's investigations, watching her tighten the noo
Goodreads Librari...: add dutch edition to series 2 13 Apr 11, 2019 10:02AM
J.D. Robb : Purity in Death (Spoiler Zone) 24 158 Mar 06, 2019 02:53PM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Purity In Death (July 2014) SPOILER ZONE 70 93 Sep 07, 2015 08:14AM
Is Eve respected? 6 78 Dec 14, 2014 09:07AM

• A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Key of Knowledge (Key Trilogy, #2)
  • Silver Master (Ghost Hunters, #4)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“Man. God. Roarke.
An interesting and flattering lineup.”
67 likes
“You tell Roarke you were tagging me for this? Or is he going to get riled up so I have to kick his ass again?"

"Oh, is that what you were doing when you had to be carried out of the room unconscious?"

"I like to remember it that I was just getting my second wind.”
30 likes