Dismiss Sorry, that person's shelf is private.

Start by marking “Beating the Street” as Want to Read:
Beating the Street

Beating the Street

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  4,677 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
Legendary money manager Peter Lynch explains his own strategies for investing and offers advice for how to pick stocks and mutual funds to assemble a successful investment portfolio.

Develop a Winning Investment Strategy—with Expert Advice from “The Nation’s #1 Money Manager.” Peter Lynch’s “invest in what you know” strategy has made him a household name with investors both
Published May 25th 1994 by Simon Schuster (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Beating the Street, please sign up.
Vadim Sviridovich Yes, you should read it too. This book gives more practical information (e.g. how to choose real shares for investing) and gives 21 examples.
Albert Yes, it even has some chapters speaking about investing in foreign stocks, mostly European and Japanese. The only difference he says there is, it's in…moreYes, it even has some chapters speaking about investing in foreign stocks, mostly European and Japanese. The only difference he says there is, it's in the way accounting works in every country, however in the book he doesn't speak much about accounting.(less)

George Jankovic
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Regular re-read (every 5-10 years) of one of my two favorite investment books. (The other one is by the same author--the greatest mutual fund manager of all time). It's got everything you need to know about investing in stocks not by using some seat-of-the-pants method but by analyzing the company and its business. It's a must read for everyone who wants to buy individual stocks of any kind. Enjoy!
John
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I think there were 3 purposes of this book.

1 - Get you excited to invest in stocks
2 - Teach you to invest in what you know
3 - Teach you to invest regularly and avoid psychological pitfalls

If you look at it as analysis on companies, it makes no sense, as it was written in the early '90's and not only are his analysis no longer accurate, some of the companies don't even exist in the same form.

What you should look at is his methodology of gaining information and researching companies. His excitemen
Richard Stephenson
May 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I recommend this book to those: who are relatively new to the financial / investment arena and are looking for some insight into a sound investment *plan*... and can tolerate some very outdated examples.
----------
I enjoy Mr. Lynch's insight into what makes a good investment plan and have gathered some very useful information from this book. I will admit to having to maintain a constant "what CAN I get from this example?" approach to a majority of the book as it is a bit out-dated. Then again, *w
Marco den Ouden
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Invest in What You Know and Like and Understand!

“Twenty years in this business convinces me that any normal person using the customary three percent of the brain can pick stocks as well as, if not better, than the average Wall Street expert.” - Peter Lynch

One of the wisest money managers of all time is Peter Lynch, the one-time portfolio manager of the spectacularly successful Fidelity Magellan Fund. He managed that fund for thirteen years and a thousand dollars invested in it when he started in
Eugene Tan
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: financial
Unlike his other 2 books (One up on Wall Street & Learn to Earn), I had chosen to give this book 3 stars instead due to my own inability to relate much to the examples cited in the book. Overall, it was still a relatively easy read.

I gave this book 3 stars as I had several difficulties in relating to the examples that were given in the book.

My main take-aways were:
1) Understanding the balance sheet (Pages 169 - 176)
2) Need for 6 monthly check-ups on the stories of the stocks.
3) The many dif
Katie O'Bryan
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
An American legend, though a bit of a tough read for me.
Rohit Arondekar
The key takeaway was that before investing in a stock you need to understand the company behind it. This involves understanding how it makes money, whether it can withstand bad times and whether it's available as a bargain. The performance of the Magellan Fund, which Peter Lynch was responsible for, is phenomenal. Throughout the book, Peter gives an honest walk through of his thought process and actual actions in doing his homework and investing.

I have read The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin G
Jerrine Regester
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was written in 1993 and I dusted it off my book shelf and read it over 20 years later just to see what withstood the test of time. Although many things have changed in the past 20 years that are no longer relevant, a quick peruse of this book can give perspective to the ups and downs of the market and business in general. Lynch discusses both his hits and misses and it is fun to read where he did miss the mark. For example about the copper market he writes: "A traditional phone system ...more
Dan Walker
What I learned from this book is that to beat the street (meaning, earning a greater return than the average mutual fund or the S&P 500) you have to work harder than the street. To find one good stock you're going to have to research 10 stocks. That the only way to know which are the best stocks to own is to research and know every company selling stock in the world! Basically, that it's just plain hard work, because you are looking for stocks that the market has underpriced, either due to l ...more
Margaret Lozano
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Focused investors.
Recommended to Margaret by: Everyone.
Good advice on investing, overall, from one of the most successful investors in history. Reading this book will not make you Peter Lynch, but eventually, even Peter Lynch bowed out of his Magellan fund...Read it with a grain of salt. Lynch is a genius who landed on The Street at the best moment in history for his investing style. But today's successful investors will make their returns differently.
Mark
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: business-finance
David Glad
May 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
In comparison to One Up, this one sounded more like an old man trying to reflect on his glory days and insist "I told you so" at one part by his commentary of the collapse of Japan's bubble, whereas in the previously one he commented more in passing a simple "I thought it (their market) was overpriced."
Loren
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very astute advice to the beginning investor. Especially someone who is trying to strike it rich in the market. Basically pay attention to your surroundings and businesses that get it right, then investigate.
Douglas O'laughlin
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book! It is very simplistic in a lot of ways but lynchs goal is to demystify Wall Street, and I love the voice and personality that comes through. Very interesting book, written by one of the best investors of all time.
Chitrang
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for beginers like me. The first chapter is especially eye opening.
Josip
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finance
You will get blown away by Peter Lynch's enthusiasm about stocks and stock-picking. Definitely a must read for any amateur of professional interested or dealing with stocks.
Jeff Gordon
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
This book taught me how to be rich... In multiple ways!
Ayush Srivastava
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I read it with the intention of understanding Indian share market scenario.
However, the book is simply not adequately suited for Indian audience.
Hrusikesh Patra
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not as good as his first book "One Up on Wall Street" but still good enough.
Samot
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Bra första del, bra 25 principer men handlade mest om USA. Aktietips i slutet som var halvintressanta...
Saeed Shaaban
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Out-dated book, but does the job to motivate you into joining the investment world.
Brigitta Moon
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After all these years, I still found the information in this book very helpful
Koushik Das
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
If you've already read Learn to Earn(in case you're an amateur like me) and One Up On Wall Street, then there's not really much new in this for you. You can simply skip this one.
Julian Bu
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not as good as One Up on Wall Street, but still good.
Amit Arora
Enjoy the thrilling journey, continued from One Up on Wall St, Lynch goes in detail of retail/restaurant stocks and portfolio construction strategy.
Y
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: investment
Not like the other investment books that talk like a teacher. Peter Lynch talks to you like a friend.
Peter
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
(read this before Goodreads, added this years after reading the book)

Probably liked it.
J.R. Gilkinson
Great education!
Michael McGee
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Classic value investing
InvestingByTheBooks.com
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
During the summer InvestingByTheBooks will review some older books that we never got around to writing about although we think they are important. The legendary fund manager Peter Lynch wrote his classic One Up On Wall Street while still managing the Magellan Fund at Fidelity. This somewhat neglected sequel is instead written as a retrospective view of Lynch’s career and methods after he retired. The purpose is to once again argue for investing in stocks instead of bonds – “Gentlemen who prefer ...more
  • The Little Book of Value Investing
  • Quality of Earnings
  • How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad
  • The Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns
  • Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings
  • The Bond Book: Everything Investors Need to Know about Treasuries, Municipals, GNMAs, Corporates, Zeros, Bond Funds, Money Market Funds, and More
  • Buffettology: The Previously Unexplained Techniques That Have Made Warren Buffett the World's Most Famous Investor
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Investment Biker: Around the World with Jim Rogers
  • Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor
  • Confessions of a Street Addict
Peter Lynch is an American businessman and stock investor. Lynch graduated from Boston College in 1965 and earned a Master of Business Administration from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1968.

Lynch worked at Fidelity Investments where named head of the then obscure Magellan Fund which had $18 million in assets. By the time Lynch resigned as a fund manager in 1990, the fund
“stick with a steady and consistent performer” 1 likes
“This is one of the keys to successful investing: focus on the companies, not on the stocks.” 0 likes