Start by marking “One Up On Wall Street: How to Use What You Already Know to Make Money in the Market” as Want to Read:

In easy-to-follow terminology, Lynch offers directions for sorting out the long shots from the no shots by spending just a few minutes with a company's financial statements. His advice for producing "tenbaggers" can turn a stock portfolio into a star performer!
Published April 3rd 2000 by Simon Schuster (first published November 30th 1988)

Start your review of One Up On Wall Street: How to Use What You Already Know to Make Money in the Market
Jacob
Jun 06, 2011 rated it liked it
While this is a good read, it's specific to Peter Lynch's personal investing style and dated enough that it's not entirely applicable anymore, so it is better read as a history or biography of Lynch's investing style than a guide on how to make personal investment decisions today. There's a forward written in 2000 in which Lynch provides one update to his material, but there should have been many more (such as noting what kinds of company information is no longer allowed to be provided only to i ...more
Ryan
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: poor people in general
dear reader,

well, hello! do you like my suit? i like yours! where'd you get it?! well, today i am dressed up like a business man because we are going to be reviewing a real business man's book! yep, you guessed it, you wily little bitch, that business man is the great peter lynch, not to be confused with the act of lynching which was a form of extreme racism that took place throughout the south during the early years of the civil rights movement! lol! ok let's go!

REVIEW:

main position:
many people
Jasmine
A very helpful book for those who want to gain some basic knowledge about how stocks work in the financial market and how to select the best portfolio of securities. Lynch shared his experiences and told us how he felt or how he dealt with losses and success when investing. I personally liked this book and he made these seemingly difficult concepts so much easier!
George Jankovic
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Regular re-read (every 5-10 years) of one of my two favorite investment books. (The other one is by the same author.).

Peter Lynch was the greatest mutual fund investor of all time growing his Magellan fund to over $1 billion. His investment style is a combination of growth and value investing, so called GARP--growth at a reasonable price.

While he made most of the money in big cap stocks like Wal-Mart or turnarounds like Volvo, Ford and Chrysler, he loved investing in small caps. This book cove
Kathy
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Unlimited...so why not? Yup, I am old enough to remember Lynch's status in the world of stock pickers. I was not lucky enough to have a wad of money to invest in his fund early on, but those who did must continue to sing his praises.
I didn't read this when it first came out, but now with updated prologue it does provide some amusing tidbits. This man still uses the phrase dot com. Goodness me! I really have no idea how he has managed to avoid the internet all these decades, but that seem
Chetan Wasekar
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A must read for novice stock investors , oversimplified but drives home important concepts.
ScienceOfSuccess
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: waiting
One of the most interesting books about long-term investing I've found so far.

My favorite quote is "when someone says that 'A' is the new 'B', it usually means that 'A' and 'B' are going down".
Andrew Ye
I originally picked this book because after I read a lot about Warren Buffett's investing I decided to see other people's style. This was a good read but it was specific to Lynch's style so it was not applicable to today's investment decisions. Peter describes how he came about developing his strategy for success. He talks about his past, his victories, and some of his failures. He describes everything that happened in an easy way to read. Anyone, including non-financial folks, can understand t ...more
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
This is a short book, but long on advice even, and especially, after the financial meltodown. It took me about 40 - 45 minutes to go through the book, but I'll read it again tomorrow and maybe again next week allowing the content to set in.

The book is a fun read and gives novices, such as myself, some basic fundamentals and concepts before we rush in (again) to lose our money (again) while the big boys rake all the profits (again) in the casino we all know as the stock market. There is no speci
Derrick
Jan 02, 2008 rated it liked it
This was an assigned book for my MBA class in Securities Analysis. I learned from this book that the average (non-institutional) investor can pick winning stocks with the same success as professionals can. I am unsure about this, as I am highly skeptical any investor (professional or amateur) can beat the market. As a proponent of indexing - the idea that a broadly diversified fund invested in a basket of stocks - can beat actively managed funds, I found Lynch's advice not completely believable. ...more
Bill#5
May 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
First book I haven't been able to finish in a while. It was outdated before the current financial collapse, now it's just stupid to read. Plus Peter Lynch likes himself way too much. Pass on this one and bury your money in the backyard.
Massgreen
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Robert Martin
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm currently working my way through the equity investing classics. One Up On Wall Street is among the best I've read. I decided to pick it up after watching a few talks by Peter Lynch and have not been disappointed – it is both informative and hilarious.

The central theme is that if you want to be successful in stocks, you have to find your edge. This is a point that many other classics skip over, instead jumping straight into the analytical techniques. Lynch continually emphasises the importan
Ardon Pillay
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really great book on equity investing.

Lynch takes a great deal of time persuading the reader that the average man on the street has an advantage over the Wall Street analysts tucked away in their ivory towers.

He suggests playing to one’s strengths, using whatever specialist knowledge we have gathered to work out if a company is likely to see changes in earnings. Even our experiences as consumers can be quite telling, and may offer clues about the direction in which a company might be going.

It’
Jay Sadhwani
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For the folks gearing up to the world of stock market, this book is a must read.
It sets up your mind regarding how to choose companies that have the potential to become great.
It gives a good introduction on reading the balance sheets and you don't need any prior knowledge for understanding the views. But more than balance sheets it suggests us to pay attention to the world around to find the right stocks
Sahib Chawla
The best book on stocks and markets anyone can get their hands on. The book gives Wonderful insights into studying diferent businesses and then going after stocks. Easy Read and Interesting examples makes this book, one of the pioneers in this field of study.
Reading Harbor
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my favorite financial advice books ever.

Peter Lynch was a genius of his time. His detractors can argue the reasons WHY he was successful (luck, timing, etc.) but it is hard to argue with the fact that he was immensely successful.

In this now famous book, Peter describes how he came about developing his strategy for success. He talks about his past, his victories, and some of his failures. He describes everything that happened in an easy to read, colloquial sort of way. Anyone, inc
Jai Gupta
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Peter Lynch does such a great job explaining how you do not have to work on Wall Street to be successful in the stock market. One Up on Wall Street provides a great overall foundation for investing and how people can utilize companies they know/understand and products they use and enjoy to make successful investments before the stock catches the attention of the large institutional investors. Lynch stated you only have to be right six out of ten times to be successful in the stock market, and a ...more
Ravi
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting read on Peter Lynch's investment techniques. Good amount of basics and a somewhat more aggressive approach as compared to conservative, academic, stick to indexing approach.

It also helps that the author is at times funny and most of the times makes the content easier to read for people with not much knowledge of economics and finance.
Y
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: investment, finance
A book with light humor... A beginner book for personal stock investment.
Mehan Mallik
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Fundamentals Of Investing

Your next door neighbors claim to know it. The Youtube channel you have subscribed for investment advices claim to know it. The guy you are friend with claims to know it. But when asked what exactly is the fundamentals of investing, all you get is a friendly slap on the back and the topic diverts.

But this book finally answers your long awaited question.

Ignorance is a bliss. Count on it.

Peter Lynch lists a ton of examples where not heading to the market analysts and

Michael Rodgers
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: educational
Read this book because it was recommended to me by a colleague. There's a lot of anecdotal and historical information about Peter's trades and the companies he's looked at. There's a couple heuristic lessons that are probably worth reading about if you are brand-spanking-new but if you are looking for an overview of the fundamentals you are probably better off looking elsewhere. I did get a chuckle out of the somewhat outdated passage where he lauds people that just left their money in a money m ...more
Rade
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recently got into investing and this book was a solid start. The best way to learn is from the masters, right?

Lynch is one of those people who seems like a stand up guy. He was not overly smart or special in any kind of way when he started to invest. He was in some ways struggling and hoping for something better in life. He actually even made me laugh when he mentioned you should find some stupid sounding companies to invest in before they get discovered by Wall Street investors.

I might make t
Deepak Shah
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Lynch likes Math more than he's willing to admit. I picked up his book because a friend told me that this guy is a value investor (And he is).

A few important points.

1. If the below equation returns value 3 or more, you've found a really good stock (Ofcourse, you need to follow many other data points).
(EPS Growth [Compounded for last three years]+Div Yield)/PE

2. Earnings are the biggest predictor of price movement. Options/Futures ought to be banned.

It's very hard to find a book that
Arushit Mudgal
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
The book is a decent read for future analysts or someone who is hell-bent on picking their own stocks, but is not meant for people trying to invest their money in the right places.

Many of the things mentioned here might not be applicable in today's world, picking a stock with a simple business is difficult more than ever in the world dominated by technology.

The demographic of companies filing for IPOs have changed over the course of last 50 years, you might be introduced to a great band which is
Marco den Ouden
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Note: This review appeared in a financial newsletter I contributed to. It follows the review for Beating the Street which you may want to read first.

In our last issue I introduced you to Peter Lynch, the dynamic former portfolio manager for the spectacularly successful Fidelity Magellan Mutual Fund in the United States. And we introduced you to some of Lynch’s ideas and beliefs, most importantly his view that any reasonably intelligent person can beat the average Wall Street expert. In fact, Lyn
Emily Polson
Listened to the abridged audiobook (2 hours), and it was a helpful introduction to investing in individual stocks. A bit dated at parts, but a lot of the basics are the same, and I think I have a better understanding of how to interpret the "overview" section on my TD Ameritrade account. :)
Tadas Talaikis
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
If everyone will look for tenbaggers who would create those in the first place? Well, though several minutes and recalled somewhere saw that financial and business billionaires are 50/50 (in U.S.), so probably everything's ok, no matter what you do, you still need to go to a lot of the shit.
Paco
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good introduction to value investing