Start by marking “Atika” as Want to Read:
Atika

Atika

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  340 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Join Jordy, Alex, and Chloe as they cross the portal from our world to a strange and wonderful other place, accessible for just a moment in time through the trapdoor of the attic in their family home. From hat-stand forests to towering hills of old musical instruments, deserts of old books, and a great water-tank lake, the vast continent they stumble upon is one of limitle
Published 2007 by Knižní klub (first published March 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Atika, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atika

Janeen-san
This book was, when I finished it, great. And it still is great and hopefully will always BE great. I sincerely hope moms read this to their kids, it's a wonderful exercise for your imagination...and kids, recommend this book to everyone you meet! It's amazing!

This book begins with the dedication: "To the memory of Nelson, a three-legged cat with a four-fold personality."
Obviously the author had a cat, or knew a cat named Nelson. Anyway, in the story there was a cat, also named Nelson. I liked
Donna
Received an audiobook copy of Attica for review from Downpour.com via Audiobook Jukebox

Attica was brilliantly narrated by Simon Vance. This was the first title that I have listened to by this narrator which is surprising since he has narrated over 700 popular novels such as The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. After listening to his outstanding narration of Attica, I will be searching out more titles read by Vance. I would say that Vance's performance of this audio was contributed significantly to m
Veronica Morfi
Attica is a book about growing up and discovering yourself.
The story starts with Chloe, Alex and their new half brother Jordy, the three of them move to a new house with their parents. The weird man that rented them half of the house he lives in sends them in an adventure to look for an old singing clock, from an old lover, that’s lost in the attic. When the three of them begin their journey they come across a whole new world, Attica. With its own weird residents and rules, this world will help
J.Elle
Jul 16, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am going to stop reading this. The description on the back of the book sounded so great and Narnia-ish. It is anything but. I find it cold and hard to get into and I've read over half the book. I've decided that I have better things to do than try and plod through this. Three kids stumble into some weird world in the attic of their new home and spend the novel trying to get back "home". They encounter strange creatures along the way, including a tribe of mannequins who live to capture humans a ...more
Kaethe
Nov 16, 2010 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
It's an interesting concept: kids go up into the attic of the new house to look for something and discover an entire world. I like the echos of Polly and Digory from The Magician's Nephew. What didn't work for me was how quickly the three kids accept that they are lost in this vast world, and how little effort they make to get home. They find water and a kind of food pretty easily, but with the most meager incentive they just keep going farther in.
Sawyer
Jan 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whoever the editor was, I hope he hasn't edited other books. I've spotted so many incorrect grammar and stuff like that, and I'm not even an adult.
Tracy Collier
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoy YA lit and this might be the best one I read this year. Some might think that the author borrowed from or even too closely copied books from the Narnia series (The Magician's Nephew). There is also a feel of the Fairyland books. But because of these similarities, I enjoyed it more! I lost plenty of sleep trying to finish it - it was a worthy sacrifice.
Crowinator
Just like valuable antiques or meaningful mementos found buried amid junk in your attic, Attica is a rare treasure in an unassuming package, the kind you pick up without expectations and are blown away by. Seriously, I love this book, and what shocks me the most is how invisible it is. The Amazon record is dismal in its lack of reviews and the site I order books from for my library has barely any copies available. I think this is one of those British imports that snuck under the radar of America ...more
Moonie
A complex, Narnian-fantasy manages to amaze and disappoint.

The plot is definitely it's strong point. If you love your "Kids go on an adventure to a weird but crazy cool world", I seriously can't recommend it enough. It's bizarre, it's fun, it's humorous, it's creepy... and hey, even has the tiniest sprinkle of romance. (Tiny, though. If your a diehard romantic you will probably be disappointed.)

However! There is a reason I only gave it three stars, and that's because our main cast is... boring,
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Readalike for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis.
5-Star rating.
Attica by Garry Kilworth is a fantasy adventure that shares many ingredients with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe- one is that of compassion for others, especially for older people. Chloe demonstrates this trait when she befriends an elderly gentleman who occupies one apartment in the large house they share. That friendship sets Chloe and her two brothers off on an unexpected adventure/quest in a most unexpec
Angela Kendrick
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so lovely. Maybe it was exactly the right book at the time for me. I was looking for something lighter. However, I will say that I approve of the layered themes that are scaleable for younger children to older children. Read this with kids. Great stuff, and they might just learn things too. Things that range from the easy to absorb "appreciate the different strengths we each have" to the notion that grief can be exhibited through depression, seclusion, and anger, and there is nothing wr ...more
Samantha
The author, Gary Kilworth, meanders a bit and the reader is lost in the differing peoples that inhabit Attica and what the driving purpose is for the main characters. It is not until over halfway through that a sense of purpose is restored and consequently the plot picks up speed. The narrator, Simon Vance, is really quite good and brings life to sections of the story that were lacking proper breath.
The story is written in British-English and has a few colloquial terms such as lorry (truck) and
Bruce Gargoyle
Attica has a special place in my stony heart because it was one of the books that kick-started regular reading for me in my early adult years. I came upon this book unexpectedly in the time before blogging and it has now become one of my absolute favourite books in the Narnian theme – that is, travel to another world through some sort of household orifice…in this case through the attic of a terraced house. I’m not a die-hard fan of Garry Kilworth by any means, but this is a deeply engaging read ...more
Bakedalaska
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS BOOK. I found it in the minuscule English section of a bookstore in Munich and boy is it a hidden gem if I've found one. First I love the inclusion of a blended family and two mixed-race protagonists. The story did a great job of distinguishing each child's personality and giving them a character arc. I loved when Chloe went into the wrong attic as Sarah and the boardcombers and the ending with Alex. It felt more profound than I expected a fantasy book about an attic to be. It was a ...more
Eduardo
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book when I was a kid and can say it sparked my taste for horror later on. Some of the moments were pretty scary for my 10 or 11 year old mind, but I wouldn't compare this book to other fantasy books like Narnia and the sort.
It has a overall much bigger grim and weird feel to it, as if something truly monstrous and terrifying lies behind the weird creatures they find and the attic itself.
The main characters don't have much depth, thought I enjoyed Alex, but that didn't really ruin my
Andrew
Step-brothers and sister, Jordy, Alex and Chloe, discover a magical world in the attic of the home their newly combined family has moved into. Attica is world where all the things we shove into the crawl spaces of our lives come to life, and this life is often malevolent, since it is created by people's dark impulses to both collect and covet and, likewise, to discard and forget with the turn of our fickle interests. Although perhaps a bit too big for its bitches in terms of plot, it nice bit of ...more
Moni Smith
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5th grade and up
Shelves: 2009
Three kids get lost in a strange Attic-world when they go up to their own attic to find a watch for their elderly neighbor. They meet strange people and see weird landscapes and have quite an adventure!

I really enjoyed this book! It was a fun read. We have it shelved in Young Adult in our library but I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to kids in 5th grade and up. I think it would appeal to the 5th and 6th age group. There are some creepy parts but nothing really scary.
Nicole
Oct 13, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know that this is a kids book so maybe that's why I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have. The story was interesting but too bizarre and dark for my taste. Every time I thought the book might have some potential it fell flat. Not to mention the author is from England and their "english" and spelling of words is different than the U.S. and made for a difficult read which too my eyes had so many misspellings.
Brandi
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Narrator for this audiobook was great! The actual story was somewhat lacking. There was a lot more telling than showing. Characters often acted in ways that were at odds with what we had already been told/read. For example, the girl in is claimed to be somewhat of a tomboy, who disdains those who are squeamish, but when she runs into rats and mice she is quite squeamish herself.
Estelle
Very enjoyable YA novel set in a huge attic world with it's own culture, climate and dangers. It is essentially the story of how three teenagers mature and change during their enforced stay there as they attempt to find their way home. They are well portrayed, as is their sibling relationship. For readers of all ages
Jenbes
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this as an audiobook. It held me spellbound despite the fact that I'm much older than the target audience. A great story teller who creates believable, likeable characters, all of whom have their own personality. As I journeyed with the kids I held my breath as they escaped danger and cried with them as they parted from friends. I highly recommend it.
Lauren
This was an incredibly imaginative novel that centers around three younger children venturing into the attic of their new home. I appreciated all of the thought that went into the writing of this story; however, as the story progressed I became more anxious about the children's predicament (considering I do not like small, confined spaces).
Andria
The language in this book frequently pulled me out of the story. They used words and phrases that were very unfamiliar to me. The story didn't seem very interesting to me but I could see where others could liken it to the chronicles of NARNIA.
Taran
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really well done. The characters were well defined and not flat. Like a good Chronicles of Narnia, the three main protagonists grow throught the book as they face well thought out threats that would be in a fantasy realm in an Atic. Fantastic.
Arthur Gibson
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. A little rushed in places. This could easily have been a 2-book idea. But as it was a single novel some things got a little squished. Brilliant universe. I wish I had thought of it, lol. Would love to see more in it by the author.
Grace
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember it very clearly which speaks in it's favour and I think I liked it. I imagined it happening in my grandmother's attic and got very disappointed when I was up there last year (years after reading the book) and found it enclosed on both sides.
Emily
Dec 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worst-books
Didn't even finish it. Rubbish.
Jiand
Jul 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Když jsem jí četl, docela jsem si jí oblíbil. Postupně jsem se u ní ale začal nudit...
Linda
fantasy world in the attic of a new house, lots of adventure and imaginative objects, people there
Marialena
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book!! Loved it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Wizard's Castle (Circle of Magic # 5)
  • The Dastardly Deed (The League of Beastly Dreadfuls, #2)
  • Whispering to Witches
  • The Time Witches
  • Lionboy (Lionboy Trilogy #1)
  • Charles Manson: Coming Down Fast A Chilling Biography
  • Unfamiliar Magic
  • The Medici Seal
  • From Charlie's Point of View
  • Return to Groosham Grange
  • Mortlock
  • Mr Mumbles (Invisible Fiends, Book 1)
  • O Menino Que Não Gostava de Ler
  • Fourth Grade Fairy (Fourth Grade Fairy, #1)
  • O Filho de Thor - Volume 2 (Saga das Ilhas Brilhantes, #1.2)
  • The Mysteries Collection (3 Stories)
  • Olivia Kidney
  • The Fall
Garry Douglas Kilworth is a historical novelist who also published sci-fi, fantasy, and juvenile fiction.

Kilworth is a graduate of King's College London. He was previously a science fiction author, having published one hundred twenty short stories and seventy novels.
More about Garry Douglas Kilworth...