Start by marking “The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)

The Lost Hero

(The Heroes of Olympus #1)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  572,902 ratings  ·  20,339 reviews
Jason has a problem.
He doesn't remember anything before waking up on a school bus holding hands with a girl. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper. His best friend is a kid named Leo, and they're all students in the Wilderness School, a boarding school for "bad kids", as Leo puts it. What he did to end up here, Jason has no idea—except that everything seems very
Audio CD, 14 pages
Published October 12th 2010 by Listening Library

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Hero, please sign up.
Malcolm This also took me a long time, for me it pretty much took me two weeks, and I agree, it would be better for the characters to be first person like the…moreThis also took me a long time, for me it pretty much took me two weeks, and I agree, it would be better for the characters to be first person like the first series.(less)
LaShaun It's not a requirement to read the original Percy Jackson series to understand what's going on in the Heroes of Olympus series. In fact, it seems like…moreIt's not a requirement to read the original Percy Jackson series to understand what's going on in the Heroes of Olympus series. In fact, it seems like Rick made a point to make it easier for new readers to enjoy the series.

However, there are many references to events and characters from the original series, so it's definitely helpful to read them (not watch the movies - the movies are pretty different from the books).(less)

·  572,902 ratings  ·  20,339 reviews

Start your review of The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)
Sasha Alsberg
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars!
Great book, I loved the Roman aspect to it and CANNOT WAIT to learn more about all the Roman stuff in the next book because I can already tell it's going to get CRAZYYYYYY!
Emma Giordano
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Tell me why it took me NINE years to read this lmao

I'm so happy to be back in Rick Riordan's magical worlds and cannot wait to continue with this series.
Zoë
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read in 2017 so I can FINALLY finish the rest of the series!

Original Review:
THAT ENDING WAS SOOO GOOD. I NEED THE NEXT BOOK ASAP PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
Nightshade
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Jayson
(B+) 79% | Good
Notes: It treats memory as the primordial stew of personality: a precious, bubbling cistern of affection, anguish and intrigue.
Ana
Nov 24, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Probably SPOILER ALERT, but nothing you couldn't have figured out in the first few pages.

According to Goodreads, 97% of people liked it. But the 3% will rise!

Prepare yourself for the first yet negative review of this book.

I was so excited for this book to come out. But then I read it, and was very disappointed. Just to clarify, I LOVED the original Percy Jackson series. They were amazing. This, however, was not.

The characters were all Sues:

1. Piper's perfection. "I'M SO BEAUTIFUL BUT I MUST HIDE
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
A one on one buddy read with my wonderful friend, Audrey =) Yay, finally got me a buddy =)

I liked this book more than the first few Percy books but I'm not sure I'm going to continue with either series. I will probably move on to Magnus.

I was telling a friend, I'm pretty sure what ruined Percy for me was watching the movies before reading the books. I don't even remember the second movie. I just know that while reading the books, any mention of the characters in the movie, I would cringe. I
Brigid ✩
Well, I finished re-reading all the Percy Jackson & the Olympians books, so now I'm attempting to re-read all the Heroes of Olympus books as well––mostly because I wanted to refresh my memory before The Blood of Olympus comes out. After that, no more Percy Jackson ... *sobs*

So yeah, I've now finished re-reading this one––which was a good idea, because as I read it I realized I'd forgotten like 99% of what happened in it. I also think I liked it a lot better reading it the second time,
Nick
Aug 28, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-authors
description

All of my friends seem to have read this series, and I want to start it so much, but I haven't read the Persy Jackson series yet.Can this series be read before Persy Jackson, or is this a prequel or a sequel. And if you have read this, any feedback?

~Tina~
Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.

New prophecy. New characters. New adventure. Same, EPIC world!!!

Meet our new demigods; Jason, Piper and Leo.
Jason is the mystery in this trio, see he doesn't remember anything, not even who he is. A God has stolen his memories.
Piper has a secret, a terrible one that will only cause pain and suffering, but what other choice does she have?
Ahmed  Ejaz
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-lengths, 2017
I read almost of this book in a relax mood. But the ending! It was killer! Shocking! When I realised what actually happened and craving for more, the book ended!! That was painful.

OVERVIEW
New characters are being introduced. Jason, Leo and Piper.
Jason has lost his memory. Finds himself in a school bus where Leo and Piper claim to be his friends. But he doesn't remember them. They get attacked by monsters but save by Annabeth and finally reach at the Camp Half-Blood.
Moreover Hera is being
Darth J
I'll be honest, I liked this Roman series less than the Greek one for a number of reasons. One was their camp wasn't nearly as interesting as Camp Half-Blood. Another was that there was more of an emphasis on pairing up characters and I'm just not a fan of romance. I think another was knowing that I wouldn't get to see the rest of the stories on the big screen since Chris Columbus ruined what would have been a successful film franchise.

My biggest gripe is that Percy isn't even in this book.
Claudia Ramírez
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, hilarious-humor
THE ENDING. OMFG.
Whitney Atkinson
If you have been around long enough to know my reviews for the original Percy Jackson series, you'd know that I wasn't the hugest fan. I thought it was veeeery juvenile, even for a series intended for middle schoolers, I was just very put off by the corniness of it. However, I finished that series because I wanted to read this one, which I hear is better. And it so is. I really enjoyed the three main characters. I felt that in this book, I could actually relate to them and understand their ...more
may ❀

So, this is gonna be a quick review cause I forgot what happened and I don’t know how to write reviews anymore.

This is the first book in the Heroes of Olympus series which continues off from the Percy Jackson series. . . EXCEPT THIS TIME, we’re dealing with new characters.

So we got introduced to a number of new characters and a whole bunch of roman mythology ish. It’s great.

description

^^ Those are our three new demigods main characters and they’re pretty fabulous. Each of these characters are dealing with
Liam
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
( 3.7 STARS )

This was really great, it felt amazing to be back in Percy Jackson's world (despite the fact he wasn't in this one).

I loved the new characters and the new ideas within the plot! It didn't take me long to get attached to the new trio and I'm looking forward to going on more adventures with them in the future!

It was also really nice to see old characters and references to the Percy Jackson series, they were brought in nicely and worked really well!

The only thing that let this book
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Admittedly, I was a bit late to the Percy Jackson party. I ended up loving PJ enough to purchase hardcovers for all things Riordan, the set for Heroes of Olympus being among my favorite things on my shelves (so pretty!). However, it did take me a long while (5+ years) to get around to reading these, mostly because I was unaware it had anything to do with PJ until my best friend clued me in.

This series is not just a spinoff, it's a bonafide continuation with a mix of old and new characters! I
Stephanie
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone!
Shelves: favorites, 2010, 2011
Tears literally came to my eyes when I finished this book. I just loved it so much I wanted to cry. Riordan dives right into the story. There were a lot of questions of who everyone's parents were so Piper's godly parent surprised me but it I thought it was pretty cool. Jason's turned out to be what I expected but with a spin. And Leo's was pretty predictable but there is something very unique about him....

Riordan perfectly meshes Greek and Roman mythology. It's ingenious the way he does it.
Daria
Apr 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I finished this book in 8 hours of solid reading. Yes, even 400-something pages of Greek mythology take that long.

And the first thing which I should mention is that this book, and some others which have come before it and all those which will follow, have nothing going for them except for plot. Absolutely nothing. (Well, unless you count occasional hilarious one-liners on the side. I guess I should.)

Of course, we can't discuss this book without discussing the original Percy Jackson and the
Faith M ✨
This was my second time reading this book, but because I originally read it around the time of its release, 2010, when I was 11 year old, I didn't remember much about it. I only remember not really liking it at the time. I found the conflict to devalue Percy and company's journey and struggle. I found that the villain's motivations lacked profound themes, and had no character analogous to Luke. I missed the first person and the chapter headers. But most of all, I found that a book without Percy ...more
Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius*
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, ya, sci-fi
Last weekend I drew a 12yr old girl named Ashley(I'm a caricature/portrait artist, for those who don't know). When you have a person in your chair, and they are staring back at you, you feel obligated to have a conversation. Over time you just get bored asking the same question over and over......and over. "what grade are you in?" "What do you do up there in Detroit?" "Is this your first visit to unnamed water park?" ect.

One thing I like to ask kids is "What is your favorite subject?" Nine times
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
I just love Rick Riordan. His writing is just so conversational yet eloquent, I really just can't even describe it.
I loved the new characters and mythology introduced in this book BUT, that being said, this book wasn't what I was expecting. I still loved it, but I feel like it is more of a companion to the Percy Jackson Series rather than a continuation, which is what I had heard it was. I still loved it though so don't yell at me!!!!!
Vathna Dany
Definitely my new favorite series! Too bad Percy's not here but I'm looking forward to seeing him in the next book. Jason, Pipper and Leo are the best although I kind of feel bad for Leo for always being the third wheel hahaha. He's actually my favorite out of the trio. He's literally the cutest character I've ever seen.
may ➹
after a whole month of rereading gay books, the heterosexuality in this book is truly disconcerting

// buddy reread with
Helen 2.0
Pretty basic Rick Riordan story. 3 kids, 2 guys and 1 girl, go on an impossible quest with a tight time limit. Everywhere they land, they get into some kind of mythological trouble.
In the Lost Hero, Jason (a demigod) finds himself in Camp Half-Blood with no memories and two new demigod friends, Piper and Leo. Around the same time, Percy disappears without a trace. The three friends embark on a quest to rescue a captured Hera and fulfill a new prophecy.

My enjoyment of the Lost Hero was hindered
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Possibly more like a 3.5 because it was great to be back in the world in general, but I'm not sold on all of the new characters yet. It was so much fun to see some old faces though!
myra
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now what this book needs is a tv show. The world should know about Rick’s amazing writing/story.
Samantha
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(4.5 stars) People where not joking when they said it was even better than the Percy Jackson books! Cannot wait to get book 2!
C.G. Drews
THIS? I LIKE. I had a rocky start to Riordan's first Percy Jackson series. I mean it was cute and quirky buuuuut...it lacked the punch. The Lost Hero had the PUNCH. The plot was way more complex and I loved being in 3 character's heads instead of just one. And the 3rd person? LOVED IT.

I'm being converted into a Riordan fangirl. #notevensad

So we have 3 POVs: Jason, Piper, and Leo. I was wary that it'd be another Annabeth/Percy/Grover trio BUT NOPE. Their personalities were completely different.
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms (Book.Enchantress)
4 Golden Stars

Then:
(previously on the Last Olympian)

You should read Percy Jackson & the Olympians FIRST!
don't continue if you haven't read (& you're planning to) or you will receive spoilers.

"Percy," Apollo said, "I wouldn't worry too much. The last Great Prophecy about you took almost seventy years to complete. This one may not even happen in your lifetime."

HA HA! Yeah! Sure!

Now:
(view spoiler) & that is kind of why this book is my
Why does everyone hate Jason? 75 356 Jan 21, 2020 06:49PM
We Live In Books: The Lost Hero Discussion 2 8 Jan 08, 2020 01:02PM
We Live In Books: Heroes of Olympus Ships <3 2 11 Jan 07, 2020 09:13AM
FAV CHARACTER POLL!!! 76 142 Jan 01, 2020 05:34PM
Favorite HoO ship? 12 57 Jan 01, 2020 05:23PM

• The Son of Neptune: The Graphic Novel (The Heroes of Olympus: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • The Lost Hero: The Graphic Novel  (The Heroes of Olympus: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Throne of Fire: The Graphic Novel  (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Comic Book for Blood of Olympus
  • Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl #1)
  • The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
  • Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)
  • Rick Riordan
  • Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: A Graphic Novel
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)
  • City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)

The Heroes of Olympus (5 books)
  • The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2)
  • The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)
  • The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4)
  • The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus, #5)
“Jason scratched his head. "You named him Festus? You know that in Latin, ‘festus’ means ‘happy’? You want us to ride off to save the world on Happy the Dragon?” 1989 likes
“Leo: Rainbows. Very macho.
Annabeth: Butch is our best equestrian, he gets along great with the pegasi.
Leo: Rainbows, ponies...
Butch: I'm gonna toss you off this chariot.”
1392 likes