Start by marking “There's an Owl in the Shower” as Want to Read:
There's an Owl in the Shower

There's an Owl in the Shower

Borden's father, Leon, was a logger in the old-growth forests of California. That is, until the spotted-owl lovers interfered. One day, frustrated by his father's unemployment, Borden sets out on a mission of revenge against the spotted owl but returns home with a half-starved owlet instead.
Published April 1st 1997 by Perfection Learning (first published March 14th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about There's an Owl in the Shower, please sign up.

Li'l Owl The northern spotted owl was listed as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act throughout its range of northern California, Oregon and…moreThe northern spotted owl was listed as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act throughout its range of northern California, Oregon and Washington by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service on June 23, 1990. The primary reason that they are endangered is because of the logging industry's destruction of their habit. (less)

Li'l Owl
I love, love, love this book!!
Seeing as owls are my favorite bird, obviously, how could I not!

Award-winning nature writer, Jean Craighead George is Brilliant!

Borden's father, Leon, was a logger in the old-growth forests of California. That is, until the spotted-owl loving environmentalists interfered. One day, frustrated by his father's unemployment, Borden sets out on a mission of revenge against the spotted owl but returns home with a half-starved owlet instead.
Only after the whole family g
Linda
Apr 08, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I'm a sucker for animal stories like this. :)
Joey Oborne
This book was good in the first part the book was not that good and then it started to get a little bit better I think Borden and his family really cared about Brady(The owl AND NOT TOM BRADY) so they but him in a box and gave him mice to eat but I think they should not have but him in a box he has to be like an owl and find food like an owl but Borden was trying to make the owl survive.
Phoebe
Two baby spotted owls have very different fates when they are blown from their nest in a windstorm. One is killed almost immediately. The other is picked up and brought home by Borden, a boy whose father, a logger, is out of work because of endangered spotted owls. Borden is angry, and wants to kill the owls, source of all of his family's troubles. Instead, he finds compassion and understanding through Bardy, the little half-starved owl. Borden's father, also angry, assumes most of the caretakin ...more
Allison
Aug 17, 2011 Allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8+
I really like Jean Craighead George however, I think this one was aimed at an even younger audience than the Mountain Trilogy I read earlier this summer. I just wasn't as crazy about it as I was about them. Part of my displeasure was simply that the story wasn't really what I expected it to be. There is very little of it that involves the shower and owl antics inside the house. It's much more about the conversion of a logger/spotted-owl hater into a conservationist/nature lover.

It's a great book
Ellen
Jul 25, 2011 Ellen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little heavy-handed with environmentalism, tugging at heart-strings over the fate of a family of spotted owls, but it would still serve as a useful book for discussing both sides of environmental stewardship and the need for people to have jobs and use natural resources for the benefit of mankind.

Update: One of my students spotted a use of the word "damned" that I had missed in my earlier reading. Sadly, that does hurt this book's usefulness in my estimation.
Oct 04, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for grades 3-5. I used it as a read aloud. Deals with land conservation and endangered species. This book can be tied into the United States unit for 4th grade Massachusetts curriculum (it is set in a small town in northern California). Another tie in book may be the picture book Redwoods by Jason Chin (great pictures!).
Mrs.Y. Yeingst
Feb 02, 2009 Mrs.Y. Yeingst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the well written account of the conflict between loggers and the spotted owl in the Pacific northwest. Does a good job of helping the reader understand both sides of the situation. I love animal stories, and this is one of the best.
Iptisam
Nov 21, 2014 Iptisam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
was interesting because I was asking my self how an owl get in the shower
emma grace
On an old reading list I found... Read sometime in 2006.
Candi Olsen
Nov 08, 2016 Candi Olsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 5 year old gave it 5 stars. She likes that people end up making good decisions even when it's hard.
Joel Thame
Interesting.
Nicole
Jun 18, 2017 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice little trip down memory lane
Gabrielle Neufeld
I gave this book a rating of 4 because I thought it was a good book with a sweet plot and was written simply. I think that I didn't give it any higher of a score because I didn't think it was a particularly unique story. I think for a 5th grade book, a little simplicity and predicability can be a good thing.

Grade Equivalent: 5.5
Lexile: 670L

6 Traits: Word Choice
I think this book does a great job using words that students may not even know but will be able to use in their own writing. This book h
Meredith
I loved the book.
Julie
Oct 24, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, m-read, 2014-15
We loved this book! This was one of my 8yo's silent reading assignments... he reads to himself, I read when he's busy, and then we discuss the book. He couldn't put it down, and I was charmed by it, too. I gave this book five stars because my son insisted, and since it is a children's book I figured that I should listen to him. I, however, probably would have given it 4 stars. In my opinion, the ending was a bit too neat.... the book was building up to a situation that could have had a lot of co ...more
Dolly
Nov 04, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
Our oldest and I are getting into the habit of sharing books and I love it. Normally, we pick out books at the library for her independent reading and I will read them after she does so that we can discuss the plots and themes. I love that she gets excited for me to read them and is often so thrilled over a particular part that she can't help but give away the plot.

With this book, she read the story in class and loved it so much that she asked her teacher if she could bring it home for me to re
Toni Tawes
Well...What to say! I loved the book "There is an Owl in the Shower." The book is intended for children 7-10 falls in the category of contemporary realistic fiction. The story is about a man named Leon who has lost his job as a Lumberjack because of the endangered spotted owl. His son Borden wanted to kill the spotted owls so his dad would have a job again. Instead he ends up finding a baby owl and raising it and realizing before the owl is released that it is a spotted owl but all ends well. I ...more
Dylan
Jan 02, 2017 Dylan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There's an Owl in the Shower seemed promising - just look at that cover! just look at that title! Surely, this is a comedic gem! Eh, not so much. That's not a surprise though - the back of the book leaves no surprises there: this is a serious novel for middle grade readers.

Maybe that's the problem: I'm not a middle grade reader.

All in all this short little novel felt heavy-handed - I was being conked on the head with a big mallet of environmentalism. I have nothing against environmentalism, and
We Writers
Nov 22, 2013 We Writers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There’s an Owl in the Shower is the interesting story about Bardy the owl and the humans who took care of him. You can learn a lot about owls from this book. It has lots of fascinating details. I especially enjoyed the part where the owl imprinted on the humans. I learned a lot about how they took care of Bardy the owl. If you like funny books about owls than this is the book for you.

There’s An Owl In The Shower!
There’s an Owl in The Shower is an inspiring book. I love it! A boy named Borden b
Emma Filbrun
Oct 27, 2015 Emma Filbrun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s an Owl in the Shower was recommended as a resource to accompany our Science curriculum this year, so we read it. I’m not very excited, as a rule, about “greenie”-type books; they seem to put animals above people quite often. This one, though, shows how conservation, while it can seem to hurt people’s livelihood, actually helps people in the long run. Because everything is interconnected, clear-cutting forests not only destroys animal’s habitats, but also ends up putting people out of wor ...more
Monica
This was a cute story about saving the Spotted Owl or any endangered species. This was one of my children's books and I don't even know if they ever read it. I liked that the author even researched about the Spotted Owl.

Borden's father loses his job because of the spotted owl. He decides he is going to kill the owl and save his father's job. During the course of the book Borden learns about how cutting the trees down has also caused other damage to the environment. It is nice to see that in a bo
Ms.
Apr 09, 2009 Ms. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody
Shelves: payge-c
This book is about a boy named Borden who's dad lost his job as a logger because the government wanted to save the Spotted Owls homes. Borden and his dad Leon hate the spotted owl now because its's because of the owl his dad doesn't have a job anymore. Borden finds a owlet and can't just not take it home so he does. His dad gets in a punch fight and gets a ticket. He doesn't want to pay it off so he comes home and uses the owl as proof that loggers still love animals. Then he doesn't notice that ...more
Andd Becker
There is a major difference of opinion when a boy brings home an owlet. A larger issue the author explores with dignity is owl lovers versus owl haters.
Loggers have lost their jobs because environmentalists insist that trees, homes of owls, be not cut down. The spotted owl is about to become extinct.
The author touchingly describes the father's growing love for the owl and the mother's inventive way of performing first aid. The family eventually learns their owl's identity and releases him int
Amy Zheng
Sep 23, 2008 Amy Zheng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think people should read this book because it is a great book about endangered owls and how they can save the enviroment. Also because it's about a guy who hates owls but instead turning out to love Barney the owl. Also u can learn what kind of owls there is if you don't really know. Sometimes you can learn what owls eat by reading the chapters and learning what owls like the most and other things you don't know about owls. Everyone should go to a bookplace and you should go buy it and learn e ...more
Laurie Gaynor
Aug 09, 2014 Laurie Gaynor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5th-grade-la
#Trinity Mountains California #Owls/Birds #Environmentalism #Forestry/Fishing #Occupations #Science

In this middle-grade novel, author Jean Craighead George tells the story of how one unusual spotted owl makes his way into the home—and hearts—of a family of loggers.

Interest Level
Endangered Animals and Welfare
Reading Quiz Program
Leeann
Oct 28, 2015 Leeann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize the book would be about the spotted owl controversy. Living in the northwest I have seen dozens of logging towns turn into ghost towns. However, I also do not like clear cutting in our forests. It is certainly complicated, as the story inferred.

Back to the book--I couldn't quite flesh out the characters, but I fell in love with the little owlet. Jean Craighead George allows us to see with new eyes the animals she writes about. That alone makes her books worth reading.
Neill Smith
Aug 07, 2011 Neill Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the local loggers start losing their jobs because of confrontations with the environmentalists over habitat for endangered spotted owls Borden Watson begins to hate the owls and plans to start shooting them. Then he finds an abandoned owl and when he brings it home it imprints on his logger father who has just been charged for getting in a fight with Borden’s science teacher. Well-written story reflecting many sides of the issue.
Colleen
It is a very nice story. But there are a few thing I don't like. 1: I don't like the sad ending, who ever heard of a sad ending? I'm not going to tell you why it was sad because that would be spoiling;)
2: Why should they be embarrassed to do what is right? Even if it was a endangered bird they didn't like, they didn't even know till the ending. Just because your a lodger and you don't like owls doesn't mean you cant change your mind.
That is all.
Bec
Jan 08, 2016 Bec rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a short read allowed. Both my daughters, 12 & 15, and I enjoyed this cute story.
We enjoyed the element and awareness brought in about the effects of logging in old growth forests. The reality told in such a gentle and transformative way. Following the cute owl Bardy gave this story such an appeal to continue reading.
This book interested us enough to look further into old growth forests.

Various features of a steam shower 1 2 Sep 12, 2014 04:43AM
  • The Kid Who Ran For President (Kid President, #1)
  • Ace: The Very Important Pig
  • Sun & Spoon
  • The Dark Stairs (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #1)
  • Littlest Owl
  • My Dog Is Better Than Your Dog (Crimebiters! #1)
  • The Year of the Panda
  • The Truth of Me
  • The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root
  • Revenge of the Dragon Lady (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #2)
  • The Lonely Scarecrow
  • Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1)
  • Mrs. Jeepers' Secret Cave (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids Super Special, #3)
  • Bandit's Moon
  • The Adventures of Reddy Fox
  • Always October
  • A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
  • Ten Ways To Make My Sister Disappear
Jean Craighead George wrote over eighty popular books for young adults, including the Newbery Medal-winning Julie of the Wolves and the Newbery Honor book My Side of the Mountain. Most of her books deal with topics related to the environment and the natural world. While she mostly wrote children's fiction, she also wrote at least two guides to cooking with wild foods, and an autobiography, Journey ...more
More about Jean Craighead George...