Start by marking “Midnight Bayou” as Want to Read:
Midnight Bayou

Midnight Bayou

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  27,186 Ratings  ·  799 Reviews
Declan Fitzgerald had always been the family maverick, but even he couldn't understand his impulse to buy a dilapidated mansion on the outskirts of New Orleans. All he knew was that ever since he first saw Manet Hall, he'd been enchanted-and obsessed-with it. So when the opportunity to buy the house comes up, Declan jumps at the chance to live out a dream.

Determined to res
Published October 15th 2001 by Putnam (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Bayou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Bayou

Sandra
Declan Fitzgerald moves from Boston to New Orleans. He has recently bought an old plantation house (Manet Hall) and he is going to try to restore it to its former splendor. He can't explain why but he feels a very strong pull towards this house and he even knows how some rooms look inside the house before he even sees them.

One day he sees a girl playing outside with a dog by the pond in the bayou. Later he meets her for real in town. She is the owner of a bar and her name is Lena (Angelina) Simo
Alp

What a disappointment!

I'm so sad to report… this was my second Nora Roberts book that got 2 stars from me (from 31 books I’ve read). I had high hopes for this one, but unfortunately, it turned out to be a total let down. The first half was great. The tragedy of Abigail and Lucian which happened in the past grabbed my attention from the very start. I couldn’t stop turning the pages to find out the truth as it was gradually revealed to me.

Too bad, around 65% of the book, I started to get bored, es
CD {Boulder Blvd}
This book was published back in 2001 but still feels current. I had read this when it originally was published but pulled it from the shelves when one of the groups I'm in selected it for the October challenge. I enjoyed this one a lot and put another book on the back burner as I enjoyed this one more.

The story of Lucien and Abigail is relived with Declan and Lena when Declan starts renovating an old house and falls in love with Lena. The ghosts of Lucien and Abigail and their tragic past haunts
Cyndi
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Declan leaves a lucrative job to buy a dilapidated mansion near New Orleans. He doesn't know why he is driven to restore Manet Hall to its former glory, but he follows his instincts. He also follows his instincts when he meets Angelina. He knows she's the one, he just has to convince her.
Meanwhile the two of them are having dreams of people who lived in the mansion years earlier and their tragic deaths.
This is a creepy murder mystery and suspense as only the Great Nora can do. Excellent book
Nicole R
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always feel a bit guilty rereading books, there are so many great books out there just waiting to be read! But, I have read every single book by Nora Roberts so now, when I need a Nora fix, I have no choice but to reread. It always feels like revisiting old friends...

Declan Fitzgerald is drawn to the dilapidated Manet Manor in New Orleans - so much so that he buys the house, uproots his posh life in Boston, and dedicates himself to the restoration of the old home. The fact that Miss Odette and
Kim
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts. It was so good. I loved that the main characters had past lives and that their was big twist about who they were in those past lives. People who are a fan of romance books have to read this book.
Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 4.5 "Cher" stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimate pasts: (view spoiler)
Seda Draz
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh Declan, keşke etrafta senden birkaç tane olsaydı. Dünya daha güzel bir yer olurdu 😍😍

Mükemmel bir kitap karakteri daha... hayaller ve hayatlar... 😔😰

Kitaba puanım 3, Declan’a puanım 10 😃 Değişik, keyifli bir hikayeydi. Özellikle Declan’ın diyalogları❤ben 🙃 Adamın Lena’ya söylediği her cümleyle eriyip suya dönüşüyor insan. Sırf bunun için bile okunur kitap. Yazarın kalemiyle ilk kez tanıştım, farklı konusundan ve mükemmel erkek karakterinden dolayı çok da memnun kaldım.
Alex
Dec 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
nora roberts is a god.

strong women, dark and handsome men, murder and intrigue, the french quarter and creole superstition, and lots of failed attempts at restraint make for one heck of a guilty pleasure.
Lyndi
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

As usual, Nora Roberts delivers an incredibly entertaining story. Since there are already a hundred reviews waxing poetic about how wonderful it is, I'll just quickly tell you why this wasn't another five-star read for me.

- Lena plays games. For all the talk about how much of a straight-shooter she is, she relies on the head games with Declan a little too often. This is a personal thing for me, exasperated by the fact that every god damn female lead is overly stubborn these days. I'm ki
Cassandra Dexter Colby
Una cosilla normal, para pasar un rato. Realmente le daría dos estrellas y media.
Michelle
"I love Nora Roberts. She is one of my go-to authors when I can't decide what to read or am just not in the mood to pick up something new. I find her work fun, refreshing, and just plain exhilarating, and I've read almost everything she has published. I consider myself a Nora Roberts expert.[return][return]Unfortunately, this is not one of my favorites of hers. The snappy dialogue that I've come to expect from her is lacking. I just don't care enough about any of the characters to really get int ...more
Nazlıcan
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nora Roberts'a hayranım! 200 üzerinde roman yazıp, her kitabında özgün ve canlı bir konu bulmayı başaran adeta bir kitap fabrikası...
Roman iki ayrı yüzyılda geçiyor. Baş karakterimiz Declan New Orleans'ta eski bir malikaneye kapılıp orayı satın alıyor, restore etmeye başlıyor. Bu malikanede bazı hayaller/hatıralar/halisünasyonlar görmeye başlıyor. Bu arada da kendini ve malikanenin geçmişini araştırıp burada yaşanan ve evi lanetleyen cinayeti çözmeye çalışıyor.
Yazar paranormal öğeleri(hayaletler
Célia
Houve uma altura no meu percurso como leitora em que li imensos livros da Nora Roberts, porque era aquilo que me apetecia ler e me dava algumas das coisas que então procurava nos livros. Entretanto, sou uma leitora diferente: não sou melhor nem pior, simplesmente passei a procurar outro tipo de livros e cansei-me um bocado da sensação de mais do mesmo que comecei a ter com os livros desta autora, de tal modo que ficaram lá em casa por ler uma boa quantidade deles que entretanto tinha adquirido. ...more
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I think Midnight Bayou is possibly my favorite Roberts movie! The film revolves around Harvard-educated lawyer Declan Fitzpatrick, who impulsively gives up his settled life to buy Manet Hall, a newly restored plantation manor near New Orleans, which he has always been drawn to.

Local legends claim that the house is haunted, and shortly after Declan moves in he begins hearing voices and seeing things. Declan is also distracted by an undeniable attraction to Cajun local, Lena Simone. Lena was raise
Kayla
MIDNIGHT BAYOU by Nora Roberts

My Thoughts:
This book opens with a scene from the past, which lets you in on the sad history of Manet Hall. The opening was very powerful and once the book switched to present day I immediately wondered more about what had happened long ago. One thing I loved about the layout of this book was that it went back and forth (small scenes, spaced out in moderation) to add more knowledge of the past events. That was something I enjoyed, as it would have driven me nuts not
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
KcLu's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

4.75 Stars
Midnight Bayou is a wonderful mixture of two stories that connect in a beautiful and at times spooky way. I have read this books many times since it came out originally. I usually take a while between readings, so it is like reading it for the first time every time and I have to say it kinda freaks me out a bit every time…lol.. BUT I am a self-admitted chicken.

Declan Fitzgerald has always felt a strong pull towards the old Manet Hall, and now he
Bark's Book Nonsense
I read this as an unabridged audiobook which is usually an advantage for me but I may have been better off reading the paperback version because I wasn’t thrilled with the male narrator who reads the bulk of the book. His voice kept putting me off and kept me at a distance from the story or maybe I should face the fact that the romance just wasn’t that great. I guess the combination of the two didn't help.

The prologue details some nasty business featuring rape, murder and madness that went down
Jared Millet
One of my goals for 2013 is to read outside my genre comfort zone, and I could think of no better way to commit to that than by starting off with Nora Roberts. I did ease the shock by picking a novel set in Louisiana (I'm from there), and somebody recommended this one to me after reading Summer Gothic , so there it is.

I've read one or two romance novels before, and the basic problems I have with the genre remain, so let me get them out of the way: 1) Perfect people are not interesting character
Monica **can't read fast enough**
Okay, I'm going to admit to personal bias and a specific idiosyncrasy of mine here that has totally played into how I perceived and reacted to this particular Nora Roberts book. I HATE the term "dusky" when referring to a person's skin tone. I know it's not a racial slur, and I am sure that Roberts in no way meant for it to be offensive. However, for me, and I can't even explain exactly why, it just rubs me the wrong way. It's a perfectly legitimate description, but in my mind it somehow just fe ...more
Serban Georgiana
Nu stiu de ce ,dar toate cartile scrise de Nora Roberts au ceva special.
Se pare ca in ultimul timp ,autoarea s-a axat pe povesti de dragoste care au tenta de paranormal,dar lucrul acesta nu ma deranjaza,atata timp cat rezultatul final este unul bun.
Tot timpul am admirat modul in care Roberts face descrierile.Tot timpul am ramas surprinsa de casele si locurile pe care le intalnim in cartile ei.Este foarte usor sa inchizi ochii si sa-ti imaginezi totul pana la cel mai mic detalui.
Bine, pote o sa s
Angelique du Plessis
This woman just got it!

This was my first Nora Roberts but certainly not my last.

The beauty of New Orleans and the peace of the Bayou is stuck in my head and one day I will make sure I'd visit this little magic town.

The book had me since page one, she captures the mood, the characters, the air and even the conversations and draws you in that makes it so hard to put the book down.

Read this book, trust me you'd want it to never end. :)

Melis
2017 yılının ilk kitabını Nora abla ile açtığım için çok seviniyorum. Kitap yine güzeldi, değişikti. Ama ilk sayfalardaki olaylar beni biraz kötü etkiledi. Öyle ki bir süre kitabı okuyamadım hatta konu ilerlerken böyle içim titreyerek okudum. Ama çok beğendim. Nora ablacım çok öpüyorum seni. Ve Declan sana kesinlikle aşık olurdum eğer arada sevdiceğim olmasaydı :)
Sarah Kirchmann
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always fun to read something written by Nora Roberts. I wanted to read something fun based in New Orleans, and she didn't disappoint.
Laura V.
4,5/5

En la segunda lectura, Lena no es tan mala, pero Declan sigue siendo adorable :3

----

No sé cómo lo hizo Nora, pero estoy loquita de amor por Declan, con esa boca tan oh-my-god, que chico más zalamero, que labia por favor, u.u Es perfecto en tantos, tantos sentidos. Me hizo reír tanto con sus ocurrencias por favor sé real y búscame
La única pega es ella, Angelina, tan fuerte, tan independiente, tan cruda y tan real, tan sexy y consciente de sí misma, tan demasiado-buena-para-ser-cierto, que n
Deb Atwood
This book encapsulates Roberts’ strengths as a writer: eerie setting, mysterious mansion, endearing characters.

Declan Fitzgerald renounces a glam, power-packed lawyer’s existence for decaying Manet Hall on the edge of New Orleans. Of course, New Orleans with its French Caribbean history is the perfect locale for all things surnaturel. And, in fact, ethnic and class conflict is the basis for the murder that preceded the hauntings.

Declan, in the midst of much sawdust generating and antique purchas
Kelly
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Rating: 3.5 stars

Midnight Bayou is part ghost story, part Southern gothic, and part romance. I absolutely LOVED the first chapter, which details a murder that took place within the walls of Manet Hall on an eerie candlelit night in 1899. The second chapter jumps forward in time to the present day, with Declan Fitzgerald buying the old New Orleans mansion with plans of restoring it to its former beauty. I reveled in the lush Louisiana setting, the dark and steamy atmosphere, and the brief but ric
Robin
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Declan Fitzgerald buys an old rundown plantation house as soon as it comes on the market. He has first seen Manet Hall years ago when visiting his friend, Remy, in New Orleans, and quickly fell in love with it. Now he is working night and day, restoring the old mansion to its former glory. But when he starts hearing a baby cry and slamming doors, he begins thinking the stories about the house being haunted are true. Declan meets Angelina Simone and it's love at first sight for him. He soon reali ...more
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
"Family's the luck of the draw, Lena. What you make of yourself, because of or despite it, that's where the spine and heart come in."

Declan Fitzgerald has no idea why he is drawn to the ancient mansion in Louisiana, but once he buys it and begins to fix it up, he finds himself neck deep in restless spirits, long forgotten secrets, and a love that is anything beyond his wildest dreams.

Nora Roberts strikes again! Once more I found myself completely engrossed in this tale of mystery, suspense, and
Samantha
Jul 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first question is... How on earth did this woman get published? This book started out great and I was excited to see the story unfold. As I kept reading, I got more and more frustrated. My friend was reading one of her series and told me that the men in those books were all pizza eating, beer drinking card board cut outs too. Declan got on my nerves.

Then the big twist, which I won't spoil if someone is desperate enough to read this, made me shake my head and scoff. Its hard for me to leave b
Need help finding a book?! 2 7 Mar 07, 2017 11:13AM
Nora Roberts Grou...: Midnight Bayou - October 2016 Book of the Month 17 34 Oct 22, 2016 04:47PM
What's The Name o...: New Orleans ghost story [s] 15 140 Aug 20, 2013 11:02AM
What's The Name o...: Name that book [s] 4 65 May 23, 2013 04:16PM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Midnight in Ruby Bayou (Donovan, #4)
  • Dead of Night (In Death, #24.5)
  • Light in Shadow (Whispering Springs, #1)
  • Scent of Danger
More about Nora Roberts...

“Feeling too much is a hell of a lot better than feeling nothing.” 187 likes