Start by marking “The Adventures and the Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Adventures and the Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

The Adventures and the Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

The illustrations for this series were created by Scott McKowen, who, with his wife Christina Poddubiuk, operates Punch & Judy Inc., a company specializing in design and illustration for theater and performing arts. Their projects often involve research into the visual aspects of historical settings and characters. Christina is a theater set and costume designer and ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures and the Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures and the Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

Start your review of The Adventures and the Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
Kate Pierson
We all know of my major crush on one Mr. Holmes. And, after reading the first two collections of the original Doyle mysteries, the crush remains. The Holmes I love, though, is Laurie R. King's, where he is an older man in Sussex, dealing with WWI and the changes of the 1920s, as well as falling in love with his young assistant. I also know Holmes as the much older brother of Enola, in Nancy Springer's brilliant Enola Holmes mystery series.

Because I've read so much King and Springer, I was
Allie
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book grabbed hold of me during the first chapter. This book makes me want to look at the little details of life and find there importance that maybe no one else noticed. I know this is not the end of Sherlock Holmes and there are many books of his left to read. This is a classic which I will forever cherish.
Martijn Vsho
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-shelf
I loved reading Sherlock's adventures as told through he eyes of Dr. Watson!
They are intriguing stories, although I certainly did not expect them to be like this. They are short stories and I mean extremely short, about 25 pages in length, and have been quickly and masterfully solved by Holmes. This was a surprise to me as mystery stories (in my mind) usually are more complex and take a lot longer to solve. Yet Holmes is a genius with an eye for the little details which reveal far more
Bonnie
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compilation of twenty-three Sherlock Holmes' investigations by the man who solved more cases than anyone to walk the streets of London. My favorites include: The Redheaded League, The Five Orange Pips, The Blue Carbuncle, The Copper Beeches, The Man with the Twisted Lip, The Noble Bachelor, and my all-time favorite, The Speckled Band.
Akane Inoue
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was never a greater detective than Sherlock Holmes, and never a better mystery than the ones solved by him, no matter how big or small.
A few of my favourite stories in the book were “A Scandal In Bohemia”, “The Yellow Face”, “The Speckled Band”, “The Man with the Twisted Lip”, “The Boscombe Valley Mystery” and “The Beryl Coronet”. The first two stories were examples where Sherlock Holmes could not entirely succeed, making him seem more human and showing readers that not all mysteries or
Joseph Leskey
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anybody
Recommended to Joseph by: Abigail H. Leskey
Shelves: reviewed, fiction, mystery
A very fine collection of short stories was this. I fear, however, that I shall never again be able to enjoy fully any mystery, save for A Case of Poisons (as reviewed here), unless if the author of the same produces another book in the series which should prove to be its better.

That being said, note that these were most extraordinary stories! I immensely enjoyed Sherlock Holmes' famed skill of deduction. Dr. Watson was also quite the agreeable sort, "enduring" through Sherlock Holmes'
Alyssa
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yep, I still love The Blue Carbuncle!
Madison
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it
A very enjoyable, though tragic, volume. I learned a few things about being observant along the way.
Zoe Garcia
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miles K
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a collection of the crime fiction short stories of Sherlock Holmes. It is set in the late 1800’s and is written through the perspective of Sherlock's companion, John Watson. These short stories cover robberies, murders, missing peoples, theft all with elaborate and interesting endings with amazing deductions made by Sherlock that no one else noticed. These stories have memorable characters such as Irene Adler and James ...more
Hayleigh
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - I think I preferred the plots of these short stories to the adventures. They were more thought provoking, and the writing was easier to manage.

Overall, this was a interesting read and it's very fun to see how Sherlock Holmes is similar and different to the many incarnations in tv and film there are.
Ines
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read every story! I promise you won't be disappointed. :)
Valeria
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Sherlock Holmes and his Dr. Watson
Samuel Lee
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, is an collection of short stories. The book is made up of 2 different novels which are The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. In this book, the legendary Sherlock Holmes and his faithful companion Dr. John Watson goes on an adventure to solve 24 mysteries.

Each of the stories follows similar characteristics and plot structure. All of the stories are narrated by Dr. Watson. It begins with a
Jilane
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
I really enjoyed reading this book, but there were several things that bugged me as well. First, the stories kept referring to other "cases" that weren't in the book that I was supposed to know about.

Second, I am a mystery lover. I try really hard to figure out what is going on before the answer is revealed. In the edition I was reading there were questions at the end. One of the questions was, "Did you figure out the solution before it was revealed?" I hated it because Holmes always told
Raven
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
August 3, 2011 - Incredible! As always this book is amazing. I adore Sherlock Holmes, he is amazing.

March 9, 2014 - Rereading this wonderful collection of stories. Below are short reviews of each story in this massive book. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle writes in such a wonderful style with so many beautiful precise details that you can see the image in his mind. You can see the house on Baker Street, Sherlock's famous posture and facial features and each and every crime. Doyle is one of the best
Dominique
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I didn't expect this book to be filled with short stories but I can't think of a better introduction to Sherlock Holmes.
Olivia
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
And so begins my mild obsession over Sherlock Holmes (okay maybe not so mild)... It's not like I've never read a Sherlock Holmes book, but this is my first time REALLY reading it. I mean, like a real collection of stories, in a book, and actually paying attention. I was fascinated!

I love Sherlock, Watson and Mrs. Hudson and everyone. The characters are so well developed; Sherlock as the conflicted fellow with seemingly little emotion, Watson as the normal guy with an ordinary life and an
Louise
Only 3 stars for Sherlock Holmes! What are you, some kind of bonkers philistine with a puddle of cheese for brains? Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

That's what you're thinking right now, isn't it?

Look, as it turns out, this whole Sherlock thing is not my thing. Holmes is not my homie.

It isn't that these stories are bad! They're not. A 3 star rating is nothing to sneeze at. I can still appreciate these stories for what they are -- classic mysteries featuring unique, witty characters
Aimee
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that likes mystery
I loved this book! It took me a couple stories to get used to the writing. I still need to do the questions at the end of the book, but I didn't solve any mysteries. I'm just like Watson, ""When I hear you give your reasons," I remarked, "the thing always appears to me to be ridiculously simple that I could easily do it myself, though at each successive instance in your process I am baffled until you explain your process. And yet I believe that my eyes are as good as yours.". I guess I see, but ...more
Raziel
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
"About the hour when a man gives his first yawn, and glances at the clock", Watson p. 127 [The man with the twisted lip]

"Crime is common. Logic is rare". Sherlock Holmes, p. 282 / "It would cease to be a danger if we could define it" Holmes, p.289 [The copper beeches]

"See the value of imagination," [said Holmes.]"It is the one quality which Gregory lacks. We imagined what might have happened, acted upon the supposition, and find ourselves justified. Let us proceed. " p. 326 [Silver blaze]

"The
Clint
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
There were only a few 4-star stories in this 5-star collection. I read them like eating candy. They aren't really detective stories as I would have imagined, and very often Sherlock Holmes and his powers of deduction and inference were not necessary to the story, but everyone was incredibly entertaining. I'd start reading and then look up and see an hour had passed when I thought it had been only 10 minutes at most. Holmes and Watson both are so likable, and even with so little real ...more
Megan Haynes
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
So, technically, I didn't read the memoirs part, but I was never going to anyway.

Lol, I bet Arthur Conan Doyle was a cool guy. I found Holmes & Watson very charming, in a nerdy way, and very likeable. And, by extension, liked this book. I'd say read it. It can be a challenge at times because it's not like one of theose books where you're like "omg-I-can't-put-this-down-omg" but, still. So good! :D

And I totally imagined Jude Law and Robert Downey Junior the entire time I was reading this.
Candy
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This was my first time reading any Sherlock stories, though I've of course seen many versions, adaptions and homages. The stores were all very short, and a bit more low-key than I expected them to be, but were all very interesting. It was surprising how many really didn't end up being solved by Sherlock, but rather through events just finishing playing out, or were even unsolved. All-in-all, an enjoyable read and I'm now interested in finding more.
Maya Trujillo
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I luv mysteries so its only natural that i like Sherlock Holmes!!!!!!
Holmes' way of thinking and deducing always has me at the end of a story think, "why didn't I think of that"? or, "why didn't I figure out that clue"? Also, he always enjoys what he does. He solves mysteries not because he has to, but because he wants to. Sherlock Holmes will always be one of my favorite classic mysteries!!!!!!!!
Gwen
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The book is written in short stories, and so far, I've loved all of them! Intense and suspenseful, each story pulls you in and keeps you there. They're short enough so that they're not boring, and Sherlock himself is a genius! He see things that no one else does, reads people as no one else can...it's amazing.
Mark Melendez
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, one of my favorites.

Opens your mind to look at situations with more attention to detail and realize things are simpler than we make them.

Since the book is individual short stories, it allows you to go between other books and read at your leisure without losing place.

Recommend everyone read it.
Lily
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Only read about half the stories because that's all that was assigned for school. What I did read I thoroughly enjoyed. I plan to go back and read the ones I passed over in my spare time when I get the chance.
Jonathan
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it

Great read. Classic. Nice to read the source for all the movies and tv shows that have come out over the past few years. As usual, the book is invariably better.
Callie
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sherlock and Watson are two of the best main character foils in literature. Each story is brilliant and beautiful. These stories will never become outdated. They are delightful to read.

• First Man In: Leading from the Front
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Hugging the Jukebox
  • The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway
  • I Am Jane Goodall
  • The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe
  • The People Could Fly: American Black Folktales
  • The German Shepherd Dog (Terra-Nova)
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • Hate Inc.: Why Today's Media Makes Us Despise One Another
  • Cristallisation Secrète
  • The Way of the Shepherd: Seven Secrets to Managing Productive People
  • Demigods & Magicians: Percy and Annabeth Meet the Kanes
  • Call of the Wraith (The Blackthorn Key, #4)
  • The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices: Manga, #1)
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism