Start by marking “Chimerascope” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Jury selection for Sunburst Award short-list
Aurora Award Finalist for Best Collection
CBC Bookies Award Finalist for Best Collection

Chimerascope - a story of many parts

A dinner conversation takes three lifetimes to finish.
A geologist faces a planet-sized, eons-old puzzle to save her crew.
The hero of the Fall of Earth must choose between love and revenge.
A man is born each
Published March 15th 2010 by ChiZine Publications (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Chimerascope, please sign up.

Douglas Smith Which retailer are you looking at? This was in a recent BookBub promo, so pricing on certain retailers (but not all) were dropped for a period.

Liviu
If there is a theme to such a complex collection, it is "change and adaptability". And while the heroes and heroines of the stories here are confronted by major upheavals and challenges, not all manage to overcome them successfully, or sometimes the price is just too high.

I will present a short discussion story by story, while I recommend to check the excerpt site on the author's website for a taste of each of the pieces in the collection.

Scream Angel
Chimerascope starts with a bang in this power
Kelly
Oct 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Last year I had the opportunity to read and review ‘PS Showcase #5: Impossibilia’ by Douglas Smith. Had I been seeking fault in the slim anthology, I might have simply lamented the fact that there were only three stories. Of course, three stories from Douglas Smith are to be treasured but, like most human beings, I acknowledge and indulge in the sin of greed. I wanted more. My wish was granted and I did receive more, three hundred and thirty two pages of more.

‘Chimerascope’ is the first full co
Donald
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another Goodreads giveaway title. I was notified on April 09, 2010 that it should arrive in 4 - 6 weeks and thank yuh.

Got it in the mail today, April 28th. It has to wait a bit...

June 29, 2010:
Douglas Smith starts Chimerascope (ki-meer-uh-scope) with an award winning story “Scream Angel”; which starts with an award winning line: “They stopped beating Trelayne when they saw that he enjoyed it.”

Right from the start I was hooked.

In all there are sixteen stories that dip their feet in fantasy, scien
Rose
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: speculative fiction, fantasy/sci-fi readers
Shelves: sci-fi, short-story
Douglas Smith offers a brilliant collection of sixteen short stories, all award-nominations or winners. I understand this is his second published short story collection, but for me, this is my introduction to the author.

Where some authors may offer reflections upon similar themes, Smith's short stories are certainly fitting to their respective title, giving a range of distinct characters in various situations that are colorful, sometimes whimsical, sometimes horrifying in the realm of speculativ
Krista D.
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
(Original review appeared at http://sleeplessereader.blogspot.com/...)

I had intended the read the first story, get a feel for the collection, and then book a time that I would read it all. No way. This collection was impossible to put down. This contains one of the best collections of speculative fiction I have ever read. There is a reason that the majority of these stories have won awards and nominations. Smith is absolutely brilliant as he proves SF is every bit as intelligent and thought-prov
Laura Rainbow Dragon
Douglas Smith's Chimerascope is a fantastic collection of stories by one of Canada's finest writers. It is a handsome book--Erik Mohr's cover artwork is gorgeous--and the sixteen stories contained within its pages are both wondrous and powerful.

The stories in Chimerascope span a decade of Doug's work and include both fantasy and science fiction, humour and horror, action-packed adventure and quiet meditation. It's impossible for me to pick a favourite from this collection. All of the stories are
Morning
Jul 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Naberius
May 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting, disturbing, thought-provoking.
David Gallay
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great variety of stories, definitely recommended.
Steve
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed every story except one....very good stuff.
Beryl S.K.
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great stuff.
William Freedman
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Douglas Smith is an outstanding writer. Then again, Roy Halladay is a Cy Young Award-winning pitcher, but he can't throw a change-up.

The Chimerascope collection highlights Smith's prodigious strengths, but by exposing weaknesses that I wouldn't have known about no less bring up here if only his best works had been included. This doesn't happen very often, but the flaws in this book have more to do with the editing than the writing.

This anthology is my first exposure to Smith, so here's what I ta
Margaryta
This book is like one of those dishes you order at a restaurant or a dessert at a cafe - you need to savor it slowly, to allow every mouthful to dissolve and taste each bit of flavor. It was phenomenal.

What drew me in with this one is not just the gorgeous cover but also the title. When I was reading it in class I had people ask me what it was about because the title caught their attention. The contents of this book are, of course, the true hidden gem and I'm so surprised that this book is not h
Kristene Perron
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chimerascope, a collection of speculative fiction short stories, enchants, horrifies, enlightens, and mesmerizes. Through each tale, no matter the tone or subject, Smith connects the reader instantly with his characters and they are as unforgettable as they are diverse. From the broken and twisted (Jason Trelayne of “Scream Angel”, John Bishop of “Memories of the Dead Man”) to the ethereal and innocent (Asai “The Red Bird, Big G “Going Harvey in the Big House”), these characters step off the pag ...more
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm just going to start out by saying how amazing the cover is! It is what drew me to the book as I had never read anything by Douglas Smith and it ended up being a spur of the moment buy and wow...am I ever glad that I picked it up.

I have to admit that reading the first short story I had my doubts about the book and I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it. I didn't care for the style of writing of the first story and I just wasn't connecting with the characters, but I pushed through it and fr
Jeff Raymond
I've talked a bit in other reviews about how short stories don't always do the trick for me, but Chimerascope really did a good job of balancing out some of the experimental excesses of short fiction with some high-quality writing. A number of these are award-nominated, and many of them truly deserve it, especially a number of the science fiction tales that were put out there along the way.

As always with these, there's not a ton to say and a lot of it needs to be taken at face value when it come
Chris
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Smith does a wonderful job at storytelling and offering a deep connection with his characters in this collection. As he mentions in quite a few notes after each story, he admits to trying something new in an effort to add to his writing toolbox... And it works.

I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for SF and F short fiction.
Weiss
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Awesome. This is a great dose of sci-fi, perfect variety and great writing style. I cried at a few of the endings, but mostly because they resonated with me. About two of the stories seemed slightly forced, maybe due to the schedule, but the rest flowed perfectly. I'll be looking for more books by Douglas Smith.
Alicia
Apr 09, 2010 marked it as to-read
Won from first reads!! LOVE the cover. Can't wait to read this!
Bryan
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Pretty awesome short stories.
Tian Gao
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD! Loved every single story in here.
Patrick
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it
A mixed bag of short stories from an award-winning Canadian speculative fiction writer. Like any collection, some of the stories are better than others. In fact, I was surprised at the ones that had been finalists for the Aurora Award, as these were often my least-favorite. I would definitely read a longer work by Smith, especially one set in the "Dead Man"/"Scream Angel" universe. Total rating: 2.9.

"Scream Angel": Solid sci-fi tale with strong storytelling. (Four stars)

"The Red Bird": Well-told
Mallory
I'm not usually one for short story anthologies, but this one caught my eye, and it was well worth the gamble. Smith is definitely a gifted writer, with an amazing ability to evoke emotions and leave a story in your head long after you're done reading it. The horror stories were by far the best, as horror lends itself better to the suggestion and incompleteness that is inherent in a short story. The stories that touched on other genres were still good, but they just didn't feel "fleshed out" eno ...more
Karl
Nov 14, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chizine_own
Chimerascope—a story of many parts.

A young artist hungers to draw you.
A dinner conversation takes three lifetimes to finish.
A geologist faces a planet-sized, eons-old puzzle to save her crew.
The hero of the Fall of Earth must choose between love and revenge.
A mysterious dancer leads a businessman to a most exclusive nightclub.
A man is born each day into a new life—only to die each night.
A sentient aurora threatens the last of humanity.
A Norse god's bar in Toronto hosts an unplanned family reunio
Tim Hicks
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This book has wide variety and what seem like good story ideas. I can't say why they just left me flat. A couple of the stories became predictable despite their strong starts; maybe that's it. Maybe I feel as if Smith is trying too hard instead of just relaxing and telling me a story. But there are many good reviews out there, so I am just going to say that maybe I read this at the wrong time or something. (Right after Iain M. Banks's The Wasp Factory, maybe that's why).
Ibrahim
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Some tales were awesome while others not as much.
Charl
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: y2016
Interesting, varied collection of stories. Worth reading.
Amy
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
This had a couple good stories in it, and some that I only read to get to the next one. The variety was fun, though.
dovah
  • The Weather Stations
  • Objects of Worship
  • Skin Divers
  • Howling at the Moon
  • Excuse me while I wring this long swim out of my hair
  • Granta 127: Japan
  • The New Space Opera 2: All-new stories of science fiction adventure
  • The Best of Kim Stanley Robinson
  • A Village Life
  • The Fecund's Melancholy Daughter
  • Barajou no Kiss, Vol. 02 (Barajou no Kiss, #2)
"One of Canada's most original writers of speculative fiction." —Library Journal

"His stories are a treasure trove of riches that will touch your heart while making you think." —Robert J. Sawyer, award-winning author

"A great storyteller with a gifted and individual voice." —Charles de Lint

Hi! Thanks for visiting. I'm an award-winning Canadian author of fantasy, SF, horror, supernatural, and the eve
More about Douglas Smith...