Start by marking “The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes: 37 Short Stories Plus a Complete Novel” as Want to Read:

Read Book

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes: 37 Short Stories Plus a Complete Novel (Sherlock Holmes #3-6)

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  2,757 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews
Here, reproduced in complete facsimile, are the original Sherlock Holmes detective stories as they first appeared in the famed British magazine "The Strand." Illustrating the stories are the drawings by Sidney Paget -- illustrations as immortal as the stories themselves. So get ready for some serious investigating and suspense filled adventure through 37 short stories plus ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Booksales (first published 1891)

To ask other readers questions about The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes

Dubliners by James JoyceNine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories by Flannery O'ConnorThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburyInterpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
Best Short Story Collections
1,142 books — 735 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt ScamanderFire by Kristin CashoreGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Seeing Red
1,487 books — 377 voters

More lists with this book...

Trevor
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature, mystery
Jeff
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Finally finished this a few months ago. I'd been reading it since Christmas 1976. Thirty-two years. I loved reading a story or three every now and then. Always comforting. Finally decided to press forward and went through a dozen or so in a short period, which gave me a whole new appreciation for Doyle as an artist. He was an excellent writer, with a kind of magic that's hard to puzzle out. These stories exert a hold that seems greater than the sum of the parts.
Jen3n
Apr 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic
This collection is the second, third, and fourth sets of Holmes stories, plus The Hound of the Baskervilles. While it IS missing my favorite collection of stories, the first set which runs from A Study in Scarlet through The Sign of Four; and it DOES have the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad fourth set entitled "The Return of Sherlock Holmes" (the series should have ended at The Final Problem), this book gets four stars because the good stories are excellent and the bad stories are made-up- ...more
Matthew
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Book Review: The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes
By Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
It’s amazing how one good book can truly open your eyes. The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes, a collection of short stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, did just that. I have learned to make more observations and observe detail better, and soon you can too!
Sherlock Holmes is a detective who lived in the late 1800s to early 1900s in London. He offers his deductive powers to whoever needs them, yet always keeps a low pr
Tom Gonzalez
Apr 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Oh what a joy it was to read this book! I grew up wanting to be Sherlock Holmes after I read "The Hound of Baskervilles". Holmes was ahead of his time with his chemical and physiology expertise, he was the original CSI master. I wanted to solve mysteries and command that infallible logic that made Holmes so perfect. As I returned to this character, as an adult, I found him to be even more amazing, if not more complex, due to the human qualities and vices he contained. He was certainly an edgy ch ...more
Emily Casella
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems fitting that I would finish this three year endevour of finishing this book on the same day I am finishing my three years of working at my library job. I got this collection book from my grandparents' attic after they died and we were clearing the house. It has taken since May 15, 2015 to finish this. But I finally did it! I have to say I liked everything that came after Reichbach Falls. The return of Sherlock stories were more entertaining then the earlier stories. I finally got in the ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This consists of 37 of the 57 Sherlock Holmes short stories written by Arthur Conan Doyle that appeared in the magazine The Strand from 1891 to 1904 that are contained in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes and The Return of Sherlock Holmes. It also contains the most famous Holmes novel, The Hound of the Baskervilles.

I've loved the Holmes stories ever since I encountered "The Speckled Band," included here, in my school text. There are wonderful stories here that sti
Howie Rosen
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Two firsts here. Writing a review before I've reached even halfway to the finish line. And reading short stories are nearly as far down my list of pleasures as cracking open a book of poetry. Doyle's adventures make a quick start out of the blocks, so going from one to the other is effortless. These stories in their day rivaled the popularity of a new Harry Potter book--and no wonder that--each plot is so deliciously different.

The greatest joy is to pay careful attention to the details in order
☠ Daniel
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Leí toda la obra de Doyle sobre Sherlock Holmes en español. Un día vi de lejos este libro y llamó mi atención la portada, me aproximé a él y vi que era un facsímil de las historias tal y como fueron publicadas en The Strand Magazine, incluso, desde luego, con las ilustraciones originales de Sidney Paget. No tuve más remedio que comprarlo aunado al hecho de que su precio era una ganga.
Aunque solo contiene 37 relatos y el Sabueso de los Baskerville vale la pena por las ilustraciones.
Ben Goodridge
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading this doorstop off and on for a little over a year now, with the advantage of having read "Hound of the Baskervilles" some years ago and a handful of other stories here and there.

Sherlock Holmes is one of those ideas that's been so relentlessly adapted that our public consciousness has more to do with the adaptations than the stories, which has brought readers searching for originalism to the Granada series starring Jeremy Brett. Visitors from other adaptations might be surpris
Jorge Rosas
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this edition, I could follow Sherlock from the early years to the zombie time, and so the different way the pair encounter, solve and how they’re written. The format and the pictures do look like an old magazine which makes it quite lovely. Because of the length it’s really hard to write a proper review but I can say that Sherlock had a god impact on my life and I enjoyed most of the ride.
Holly
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
The short stories are best; they are almost too perfectly concise and structured. The reader is kept in a delicate balance of awe and active sleuthing.

Unlike what has been said of the film version, Watson is no comic character but the perfect foil to Sherlock's cold, inhuman exterior. W/o Watson, you wouldn't have a story unless it were Sherlock's stream of consciousness followed by boredom.

Read a great article about how Doyle created Sherlock at exactly the perfect time in history - the age of
Scott
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book contains all 37 short stories of Sherlock Holmes plus the novel "Hound of the Baskervilles". I got this book about 25 years ago and have been reading one or two of the short stories every year.

Many many hours of enjoyment. Just a great read that I think everyone should experience.

I will be the first to admit that you really have to be in the mood for the style of writing that Doyle employs but when I'm in the mood nothing is better. Of course Sherlock Holmes is almost too smart to be b
Steven Peterson
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
"A Scandal in Bohemia," "The Red-Headed League," "The Hound of the Baskervilles," "The Return of Sherlock Holmes," and so on. As the Introduction notes, "Here--reproduced in complete facsimile--are the original Sherlock Holmes detective stories by Arthur Conan Doyle as they first appeared in the famed British magazine 'The Strand.'"

The original art work and printing adds an interesting element to this volume. But, in the end, it is the tales of Holmes that make this book attractive.

A nice compil
Mary Holm
Jun 16, 2012 is currently reading it
I watched the PBS series SHERLOCK and fell in love. I'd never read any Sherlock Holmes stories before, (I claim not to like mysteries) but the series prompted me to check out some of the original stories. My husband reminded me that we had this book stored in our garage. So we pulled it out and I started reading. Currently reading the Hound of the Baskervilles. By the way, if you haven't seen SHERLOCK, do yourself a favor and run, don't walk, to rent or buy the DVD. Or you can watch some of the ...more
Gerald
May 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Inspired to take up this volume again by fervor surrounding the new Sherlock Holmes movie to be released in December of 2009.

The edition that I am reading was published in 1976. It is handsomely bound in the manner of a book intended to look impressive on a shelf without having the desired effect.

The stories are quite good, though.

Finished this very recently. Nothing like a book full of Sherlock Holmes to instill in oneself the desire to take up smoking a pipe, and logically deduce what's been g
Emilee Bixler
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Got this book from my aunt. Ever since I began the first story Sherlock Holmes has become my obsession. Currently I'm still reading it and every page gets a bit better! Also saw both Sherlock movies, all the BBC Sherlock (With Benedict Cumberbatch..sexy..) and am currently watching the 1984 Jeremy Brett ones on Netflix. As you can see, this book has had a major effect on me. If you have not read this, you have not lived..haha.
Carrie
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book since I was about ten years old and never finished it. It's taken me a long time to get here, but I'm glad I finally did. I took my time, and started over on this book, and finally made my way through it. Now I just need to finish the rest of the Sherlock Holmes stories not included in this book.

This includes several of the short story volumes and Hound of the Baskervilles.
P.M. Pevato
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My comfort food.
Nathan
I've only read seven of them.
Bonnie
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Master of the mystery. Always fun.
Hannah D
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ANAZING.
First of all this edition was great because the original illustrations are right next to the stories, and if you do a bit of research the art itself is actually very cool- it includes, for example the first ever portrayal of Holmes in the flap hat. I recommend this site (http://dickens.stanford.edu/sherlockh...) for help with Victorian language, etc.
Besides being a great collector piece and plain beautiful, the Sherlock Holmes stories are immensely entertaining. Mystery fans I am sure
Jenna  Nov
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not only did I enjoy Conan Doyle's inventive crime scenarios, but I also really liked the physical copy of this book. It's pleather bound with gilded edges and it also features (for lack of a better word) photocopies of the original text and illustrations of these stories from "The Strand" magazine.

A great read as well as a great reading experience.
Judine Brey
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I like the variety of stories because they're not all murder mysteries. My grand take away from this collection is that, in general, the public (especially, perhaps, movie makers) have been giving Watson a hard time. He's a lot smarter than he's typically given credit for.
Eric
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good to read most of the Sherlock Holmes stories. This is missing a few of the novel length stories, but it was fun to read.
Evil Shelley
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Paget’s illustrations are wonderful.
Ellen
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
I'd been reading this book on and off, in between other things, a few stories at a time, for probably close to ten years. I've truly enjoyed my times with the original Holmes and Watson.
Lindeman
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sherlock Holmes has never seemed so real as reading the original stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle himself. The short stories offer new insight into the tales we know so well.
Sarah Bynum
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I read this book when I was 8 and it changed the entire course of my life.
G
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is difficult not to hold a fondness for Doyle's creation. The short stories are an easy- yet fascinating- read.
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please add page number 4 14 Feb 23, 2017 10:40PM
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • Five Complete Hercule Poirot Novels: ABC Murders / Cards on the Table / Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / Thirteen at Dinner
  • The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
  • Rod Serling's Twilight Zone
  • Exit Sherlock Holmes
  • Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #3)
  • The Bedside Companion to Sherlock Holmes
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • Teller of Tales: The Life of Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ghosts of Bly: And Other New Adventures of the Great Detective
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • Complete Novels: Red Harvest / The Dain Curse / The Maltese Falcon / The Glass Key / The Thin Man
  • Last Seen After Midnight (Trese, #4)
  • Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Zombies (Victorian Undead, #1)
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism re
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet
  • The Sign of Four
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Valley of Fear
  • His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
  • Emma's Secret
  • She's Not There
  • Heart Collector
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $2.00