Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space

Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  430 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In this outstanding collection of Sherlockian tales, the master of detection solves the most fantastic cases of his career. Herein are answered questions which have plagued loyal readers for decades, including: What is the truth about the mysterious menace of Sumatra? What occurs when Holmes must pursue an extra-terrestrial? Stories by authors: Isaac Asimov, Poul Anderson, ...more
Paperback, First Bluejay Paperback Edition, 368 pages
Published December 1985 by Bluejay Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space

really liked it 4.00  ·

Oscar
La presente antología nos muestra una serie de pastiches holmesianos que no intentan imitar los originales de Conan Doyle, sino que buscan su orientación hacia la ciencia ficción y la literatura fantástica. Como casi toda antología, la calidad es irregular, aunque la mayoría me han gustado bastante.

Estos son los relatos incluidos en ‘Sherlock Holmes a través del tiempo y el espacio’ (Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space, 1984, en el que se incluye un relato que no está en la edición española):
Cindy
Feb 22, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a collection of short stories centered around the legendary detective, chosen mostly by editor Isaac Asimov. I like Sherlock Holmes, but I am not a dedicated Holmesian. Still, the idea of using a science fiction twist to examine the stories was an intriguing one and I was pleased to find this at the library.

The collection starts off with an authentic Holmes story by Arthur Conan Doyle, 'The Adventure of the Devil's Foot.' Then it jumps into the science fiction theme, with stories by Ph
Trin
Jun 03, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery, ficbutnot
As the title would suggest, this is a collection of sci-fi takes on the Great Detective. As with any anthology, the stories varied in quality—there was, for example, an interesting story about a time traveling Moriarty and an intriguing tale about a Holmes who may (or may not) have succumbed to senility. Mostly, though, there wasn't enough Sherlock Holmes in a collection that was nominally all about him! Instead there were stories about an alien race that has modeled itself after Victorian Engla ...more
Becca
Well, I never knew that I needed a short story about Moriarty traveling through time and becoming the third murderer in Macbeth. Or a story about Raffles and Bunny squashing embryonic alien carbuncles, and thereby stumping Holmes and Watson. But I did NOT need a story about alien Holmes impersonators bumbling charmingly through a mystery overlaid on the Hound of the Baskervilles, or a squicky avalanche of Holmes punnery in space involving The Great Detectives famously unuttered catch phrase. NO! ...more
Rozonda
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very original collection of sci-fi and fantasy stories that, in some way or other, involve Sherlock Holmes. Some of them will be better understood by devoted Sherlockians- the editor, Isaac Asimov, was a devoted Baker Street Irregular, and one can notice that- but I happen to be one, so it doesn't bother me. The stories are wll chosen and most of them are really good. The collection is crowned by a Holmes-centered Black Widowers' tale by Asimov- this was a pleasant surprise as I also happen to ...more
Janina Woods
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I can only recommend this collection of short stories to you if you‘re a Sherlock Holmes devotee and can keep a very open mind. As stories go, these are very varied in themes and quality. I found most to be a bit disappointing, but I can see that they were chosen to keep the anthology diverse. If not for the quality, I can definitely recommend the stories for their inventiveness - putting Holmes and Watson into the most fantastical situations.

My personal favourites were:
„The Adventure of the Mis
The Frahorus
Ho trovato questa interessante antologia di racconti di fantascienza a cura di Isaac Asimov che tratta, come filo rosso, il personaggio definito il più famoso e grande investigatore privato di tutti i tempi, ovvero Sherlock Holmes! Questa antologia raccoglie ben 15 racconti (sia brevi che lunghi) ed ecco le mie impressioni brevemente:
1) "L'avventura della zampa del diavolo" di Conan Doyle.
L'antologia si apre rendendo omaggio al creatore di Sherlock, ovvero lo scrittore Conan Doyle che ci narra u
Elemy
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting.
Mz. Diana Gagliardi
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I first found this book in HS. I took it out over and over again reading and rereading the short stories. Like most collections, some are better than others, but Asimov (the editor and writer of one of the stories) did a great job of picking a good collection. Years later my husband got me the book for the holidays and is now lent out becuase it's AWESOME!

Something to note- Asimov was a member of the Baker Street Irregulars, a (male) group of Holmesians who get together every year on January 6th
Ronald Lett
May 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
In case you are curious as to the contents of the novel, I noted that the back cover's "Fantastic Sherlock Holmes" is most apt, as it contains mostly fantastic tales, not science fiction. There are only a few science fiction stories contained, where science or the philosophy of science is increment to the plot, including the enjoyable last entry by Isaac Asimov. The rest are mostly mysteries set in fantastic settings, such as alien planets or future vistas.
Marc Leroux
This isn't Science-Fiction, and it isn't mystery. Fantasy is the best description. The collection contains 15 stories, ranging from Doyle to Asimov. Some I found interesting and readable ... others not so much. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who is a true Holmes fan. It isn't a book that I will go back to and re-read in 5 years.
Felipe Guerrero
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una excelente colección de relatos que de una u otra forma estan relacionados con Sherlock Holmes y encabezando la lista un relato del propio Arthir Conan Doyle.

Recomendado para todos los Sherlockianos y Holmesianos allá afuera.
Cyn Mcdonald
A mixed bag, but some classic authors. Starting with one of Doyle's stories -- The Devil's Foot -- is a nice touch. Loved the Hoka story.
Deedee
15 stories including one "original" from Arthur Conan Doyle and others by Isaac Asimov, Philip Jose Farmer, Gene Wolfe, and a Hoka! story by Poul Anderson/Gordon R. Dickson
Wordwizard
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Entertaining! I liked some stories better than others, obviously, and some were far more clever than the rest, but they all had something that was just RIGHT about them.
Garau

• Sherlock Holmes: The Hidden Years
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Zombies (Victorian Undead, #1)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Whitechapel Vampire
  • Gaslight Grotesque: Nightmare Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Dark Water: The Strange Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Plague of Dracula
  • Exit Sherlock Holmes
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead
  • Encounters of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery

Professor Asimov is generally considered one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine o