Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures

The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  4,833 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Singular, capital, wonderfully enjoyable, this is the biggest collection of new Sherlock Holmes stories published since Sir Arthur Conan Doyle laid down his pen - nearly 200,000 words of superb fiction featuring the Great Detective by masters of historical crime. Almost all the stories are specially written for the collection and the cases are presented in the order in whi ...more
Published November 10th 1997 by Running Press (first published 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures

Timothy Tobolski
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I read a good Holmes story, I inevitably 'hear' Jeremy Brett; in my mind, he is and will always be the definitive Sherlock Holmes. And with this anthology of pastiches, Mr Brett has bordered on laryngitis, so perfectly have the various authors captured the persona of Holmes.
Mike Jensen
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Dozens of Sherlock Holmes short stories written a century after Conan Doyle. A very few come close to the old magic, but most miss it by a little and (more often) a lot. The problem is finding the good stories amidst the drudge since they do not come with warning labels.
Riju Ganguly
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“They don’t make them anymore!” This is the sentiment that assaults one after completing a book like this. First published in 1997 as ‘The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures’, this massive collection of pastiches cover the entire gamut of post-Doyle Sherlockiana. The contents of this book, along-with my thoughts regarding them, are as under: -

(*) Foreword by Richard Lancelyn Green

“The Adventure of the Dorset Street Lodger” (Michael Moorcock): A-
“The Myst
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Umm... Yes!?! As a BIG fan of Sherlock Holmes, I was VERY excited when I encountered this book. For the most part, this anthology lived up to my expectations. The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures contains short stories by modern writers, some brand-new, straight from the authors' minds, some based on historical events and people, and some (my favorites) based on those teasers Watson gives in passing, such as "the repulsive story of the red leech and the terrible death of Crosby the ...more
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures is an anthology of new stories featuring the beloved duo of Holmes and Watson, contributed by respected authors such as Michael Moorcock and Peter Tremayne. Most of them were specifically written for this collection, and many expand on references made by Watson in the Canon; there are two stories based on his reference to "the repulsive story of the red leech." Ranging from Holmes' college days ("The Bothersome Business of the Dutch Nativity") t ...more
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This was an airport 1-for-2 buy, but once I started it was hard to make myself hold to my "1 story before bed" plan. The stories were obviously of varying quality, but enough of them managed to really capture the spirit of Conan Doyle's most famous creation to make me instantly pick up the original stories once I finished this.
Todd Millison
Not a bad book for those who read all of Conan Doyle and wish there were more. Written by many authors. Some are quite good with the 'original' feel and some feel somewhat contrived. Interesting because several have a definate Jeremy Brett influence in Holmses character. Worth reading!
Feb 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-2007
Forgot I had this book for the longest time. Most of the stories had the tone and feel of the originals. Most far fetched was the last one about the end of WWI.
Lizabeth Tucker
The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures edited by Mike Ashley

This is actually an ebook version, published by Constable & Robinson Ltd, in 2009. It was published in the United States by Running Press Book Publishers.

A look at the many untold cases of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson as contained in Watson’s dispatch box in the vaults of the bank of Cox and Co. The collection contains twenty-six stories divided into various sections.

Sadly, I would have to say that some of the s
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt a great need to seek the company of my friend, the worlds's first (and greatest) consulting detective, Mr. Sherlock Holmes. Fortunately I had an excellent anthology, New Sherlock Holmes Adventures, to aid me in my quest. Those truly familiar with the canon know the words: "Somewhere in the vaults of the bank of Cox and Co., at Charing Cross, there is a travel-worn and battered tin dispatch box with my name, John H. Watson, M.D., Late Indian Army, painted upon the lid." Inside that box is ...more
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good stories, I liked how the editor tied them together. However, the Sherlock Holmes in these stories was a ghost of Conan Doyle's Sherlock. The depth of Sherlock's character did not appear. Each story could have had a different name for the detective and I would have thought Sherlock was being copied but not quite grasped. What is it about Conan Doyle's writing that works so much better? He never did acknowledge his genius with Sherlock so I doubt even he could answer that question.
Kari Eliuk
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
As a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, I was eager to read this book, but disappointed by the poor writing in many of the stories. I'm afraid the compiler lost the right to call himself "editor" when he let so many flaws persist. Fellow fans - your time would be better spent rereading A. C. Doyle's original works.
Janez Stare
Feb 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Very bad. We have SH not publishing his knowledge on radiation because he was being fair to Curies (from whom he learned the thing in the first place). 'Let them publish first' he says. Oh my god! And lots of similar stupidities in a book packed with bad writing
Ovidia Yu
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stories of varying standard. But some were very very good and none were too horrid. Thoroughly enjoyed the read and appreciate the research that clearly went into the curation.
An average book. It was not as bad as some other non-canonical stories I have read. However, there have been much better, and SOME of these stories were downright hard to read.

There are a scenes that took place in the book that made my head spin:

1. Holmes and Watson waiting for burglars in the dead of night, not so unusual, BUT while snacking on sandwhiches and WHISKEY!!! Really?

2. Holmes, the man who has knowledge of Baritsu, Boxing, and Fencing; the man who had the ability to un
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
To be honest I'm not a big reader of the Sherlock Holmes Canon as written by Arthur Conan Doyle but I am familiar enough with it to appreciate the editor of this fairly weighty tome has has done his home work and inserted these tales into the chronology of the existing work well...indeed the inserts between stories attest to this.
The tales themselves are generally fun they don't fall into the trap of needing to update to much to modern sensibilities and in such a way retain some
Rena Sherwood
Although it's one of the best Sherlock Holmes pastiche anthologies out there, that's not really a compliment. The world of Sherlock Holmes pastiche anthologies are pretty bad.

At least this book has some exceptionally fine stories book-ending the usual collection of sublime (Holmes' time in Ireland) to ridiculous (Holmes meets Aliester Crowley and AC's father.) There is also a nice appendix listing the "chronology" of not only canonical stories, but major pastiches.

Another problem for the paperba
Oct 16, 2013 rated it liked it
For me this was a real curates egg of a book (good in parts).

Some of the authors were too busy trying to shoehorn in their area of interest or expertise. Others were obviously writing towards an agenda of their own.

On the other hand there were a number of stories that I felt kept to the spirit of Holmes and didn't try to hijack the original to show off their learning/erudition.

This review will probably come across as a conservative Holmes fanboy who doesn't appreciate authors meddling with the H
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I adore Sherlock Holmes. I know Sir ACD got a teensy bit over his hero near the end there but I never will! I was gutted when I got to the end of the original stories! I wanted to get there but I also didn't. You know what I mean, most book lovers have been there.

I was a bit hesitant about Sherlock books written by other authors but after reading Anthony Horowitz's The House of Silk, I have decided to give them a go. Although Horowitz captured Holmes & Watson & Sir ACD's voices so well h
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Stories are as lovely as always. I was thankful I found this, considering I'd already exhausted all the originals and wasn't quite ready to give up yet on my search. Though, I wish Mike Ashley had perhaps added a vocabulary list to the back, because regretfully there are still some words that a 21st century girl really doesn't understand. I fervently wish there was a Google Translate language selectively for 19th century literature.
In conclusion, The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventur
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Some of the many stories in here are quite engrossing but virtually none come close to the brilliance of Conan Doyle's original works. Most are too short, for starters, to be able to tell a compelling tale, but the greatest irritation is the scandalously poor editing. There are so many basic grammatical errors and spelling mistakes - including character names spelled differently within the same chapter - that it creates an overall impression of slovenliness that takes the shine off even the bett ...more
Thomas Sizemore
I'm sorry, but most of the stories in the book were not very good. Most of the authors didn't seem to understand the Sherlock Holmes tone at all. One story had a full scale Agatha Christie style dénouement, which is surely not in the Holmesian style. In another story the author kept throwing in shout outs to the main detective in her own stories. Really? Holmes shows great admiration for the great chef detective who puts the facts of a case together like the ingredients in a recipe... I read the ...more
Amanda Himes
As other reviewers have rightly pointed out, some of the stories are too derivative, nearly pastiche (i.e., Holmes calling Watson "my good fellow" three times in two pages), while others are 4.5 star quality. I especially enjoyed the case involving a cursed barrow at a dig site. Another one featuring H.G. Wells calling on Holmes to investigate his friend's murder nicely blended the genres of detection and science fiction.
Anthologies are always a mixed bag, but this one combines that variability of quality with a certain predictability in plotting - I read about the first quarter, then skipped ahead to read the stories by writers I liked, leaving at least two thirds of the book unread.

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a hell of a lot of Holmes - I think reading this at a rate of one story a week would still be too much Holmes for me.
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Maybe I am prejudiced by my own love for the works of Arthur Conan Doyle himself. But I found these stories not to the same standard of Sherlock Holmes as I have come to expect. I of course judge them only as tales of the great detective and not as stories themselves.

I am grateful for Mike Ashley and Eric Brown for bringing the master detective to our sunny shores. It was amusing to read him ply his trade in our neck of the woods
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was inclined to give the book three stars while reading a couple of the last stories. However, most of the mysteries are well written, in the style of Doyle, and have entertaining plots. The narrator provides the connections to Sherlock's authentic cases and fills in the history of Sherlock and Watson. It kept me amused until almost the end when the plots became too complicated for my taste.
Really liked pretty much every story in here! Believable Holmes and Watson, very little forcing in of characters who don't belong. Good mix of dates, from Holmes's early career to his retirement, and plenty of Watson! Since I don't like pastiches (usually) that don't involve Watson. Recommended.
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some really good stories, some absolutely terrible stories (most of these tried too hard and a couple failed to live up to their amazing premise). Probably one or two really great stories, but that was to be expected from this sort of anthology and many of the stories did feel like canon.

Best of all, I had only previously read one of these stories and and there is a lot here to enjoy.
Karl Øen
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great book of Sherlockian pastiche, altough the quality of the singular stories varies a lot. Alongside some truly entertaining stories, this fine volume contains a learned foreword and fine introduction, but what really puts it among the Greats is the Chronology, which also seeks to find time and space for the most famous pastiches.

Every Sherlockian ought to own this.
  • Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Man from Hell (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • Encounters of Sherlock Holmes
  • Shadows Over Baker Street
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • The Execution of Sherlock Holmes: And Other New Adventures of the Great Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.
More about Mike Ashley...

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
  • The Cabin
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bones of Paris (Harris Stuyvesant, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99