Start by marking “Betrayal in Death (In Death, #12)” as Want to Read:
Betrayal in Death (In Death, #12)

Betrayal in Death

(In Death #12)

At the luxurious Roarke Palace Hotel, a maid walks into suite 4602 for the nightly turndown - and steps into her worst nightmare. A killer leaves her dead, strangled by a thin silver wire. He's Sly Yost, a virtuoso of music and murder. A hit man for the elite. Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows him well. But in this twisted case, knowing the killer doesn't help solve the crime. ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 355 pages
Published March 1st 2001 by Berkley Books

Start your review of Betrayal in Death (In Death, #12)
Hulya Kara Yuksel
I have this book -actually this series (46 ebooks)- on my Kindle but I listened the audiobook version which normally I'm not a big audiobook fan. I mostly prefer to read my book than the listening it but it just worked amazing with this book and I absolutely loved the story even more while I'm listening it.. :) And I'm going to listen the other books instead of reading because Susan Ericksen (Narrator) did an excellent job. She made me to change my mind about audiobooks! :) Also her impression ...more
Karla
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another awesome read! I can’t get enough of my beloved couple Eve/Roarke. If someone would of told me that I, one day would have read 12 books and one novella with the same couple I’d say no way, not me! Smh! Look at me now..still 30 plus books to go and I’m still so into this series.

Anyway, this was another great addition. It was a bit different since we do find out who killer is but, not the master mind so it still kept me on my toes. And as always Eve/Roarke are always the best part and
Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous page turner from this amazing author! How does she do it is a constantly recurring question. Maybe like Eve she never sleeps.
Anyway she keeps turning out very, very readable books and I keep reading them! This is number 12 in the series and by now we know our characters really well. Robb has great skill in being able to develop her characters by show, not tell, and they are all large as life and twice as much fun. She is also very talented at drawing relationships and as usual
Poonam
“Betrayal is common for men with no conscience.” - Toba Beta

In this series the book's theme is there in the title and you are able to connect to this in the first few chapters.

In this case, it was a bit different as till the end of the book I could not understand the reason of the title being 'Betrayal in Death' but then near to the end it all just clicks.

Generally there is a murder, investigation and search for the killer. In this case the killer is known and it is a hunt for this known
Jilly
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
"They stole my candy again. I taped it on the back of my AutoChef. Two bars of the real stuff.. They tagged it. I'm going to catch them sooner or later and peel the skin off their face. Slowly.

That's right, the candy bar thief is still at large!! Who cares that there is a contract hit-man beating, raping, and killing people who are attached to Roarke when this candy thief is still at large? Priorities, people! I need to know whodunnit now!

I know!! I'm not totally missing the point either!

The
Carolyn
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, futuristic, 2017
Another excellent episode in J.D. Robb's "In Death" series. All our favourite characters are there, Roarke and Eve are central stage as Roarke looks after staging a multi million dollar auction. Their relationship is growing even stronger as they work through issues together while Peabody and McNab are having a bumpy patch in their relationship. An old friend of Roarke's from his early days in Ireland has dropped in and Eve's not sure if he's entirely trustworthy. And a very nasty hired assassin ...more
Cyndi
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Of course I love this series! This book, although great by any other author's standards, fell a bit short by this author's. It kind of felt like the murderer was not developed enough, and Roarke's childhood friend didn't quite come out real. Why would he freely tell stories about their misdeeds as youths in front of Roarke's business associates? Summerset got more time on the stage, so that was cool, but the F. B. I. jerks were a bit much. Eve handed the bust over to them too easily. Agent Stowe ...more
Carol
I jumped from book one to #12 as originally I couldn't borrow the earlier ones from my library and after reading book one I simply had to have more of Eve and Roarke.
I really enjoyed this one. I love the police procedural angle that runs throughout these character driven stories and the romance totally hits the spot for me.
Also enjoyed my first introduction to Peabody and McNabb.
Now I am happily returning to book 2 (library came through for me).
I highly recommend these to all romance fans
Mo
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's Eve and Roarke. You cannot go too far wrong with these two.

“She turned toward Roarke's office, then stopped in the doorway. He was at his console; captain of his ship. He'd drawn his hair back so it lay on his neck in a short, gleaming black tail. His eyes were cool, cool blue. The colour they were when his mind was fully occupied. He'd taken off his dinner jacket, his shirt was loose at the collar, the sleeves rolled up. There was something... just something about that look that always
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Funny how you can love a series but then need a break from it and then sadly forget about it for a little while. Good thing once you pick it back up, it doesn't take you long to forget why you loved it so much in the first place. This was another fabulous read and totally makes me want to binge read this series and try to get caught up, which with over 40 books now, I know won't happen anytime soon but it's nice to think about all the same.
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Good but Not the best in the series by far... The bad guys were a bit predictable and although I would.like to believe that my investigative skills are the ones that helped me predict them, I have to admit that they were just obvious! Still, I don't think I will ever not like a book in this series!;-)
Wendy'sThoughts
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: J.D. Robb Fans, Mystery, Romance
5 When Manipulation Kills Stars (Corrected Review for #12)
(view spoiler)
* * * * *
Betrayal in Death covers the horror of bad cops, manipulated cops and the ones who pull the strings. Robb does an excellent job of showing how ugly it all can be to a purest like Eve...for she is the one who will not turn a blind eye to the precinct that seems to be drowning
♥Sharon♥
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing

It is no big surprise that I loved this one too. Betrayal in Death was a little different in that we knew who the killer was from the beginning and the intrigue was within catching the guy and finding out why this sick bastard was doing what he was doing. It was different and I enjoyed it.

Another wonderfully written storyline with more development of the side characters. Summerset continues to irritate Eve but there is something going on between them that neither will admit to. Whitney is
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Love, love, love Eve and Roarke and the team. This was such a twisted mess.
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this book - really liked meeting Roarke's old pal Mick and learning still a little more about Roarke's background.

This book has everything I like - a repulsive serial killer, lots of damage to stuff, and just enough angst to make a good storyline.

Oh and how could I forget the McNab and Peabody drama!

2 thumbs up and 5 stars.
Kjen
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, re-read
As I proceed through my Kindle re-read of my favorite series, I am once again struck by the growth of the characters. After just reading Calculated...the latest release...and contrasting it with Betrayal...an early installment...it's a stark contrast in Eve and Roarke's marriage. There was so much head butting in Betrayal, but yet, this was the book in which the Expert Consultant, Civilian was born so there had already been some growth. I loved Eve's comforting and taking care of Roarke during ...more
Irene Sim
Bittersweet.....
Lyn *NomadicWorlds
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-death
The ending. Oh, man, just perfect! ...more
Ann Lou
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
After 12 books, I've run out of anything to say about this series. It keeps getting better and all the murder and mystery keeps my attention.

We have a killer who is a virtuoso of murder. One who collects souveniers from his victims after the deed. Cruel and sadistic. If I had my way, I would prefer that he died a very violent death. Run over by ten dump trucks or more.
Arlene
Now this one was damn good. Damn good indeed.
Catherine
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another solid entry from J.D. Robb. Two things I didn't care for in this one:
1) Predictable villain. I pinned the villain pretty quickly, usually I'm all over the place in Robb's books and she twists me every time.
2) (view spoiler)

I think the relationship between Eve and Roarke, as well as
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This was a good one. We know the killer right from the start but we have to figure out who the mastermind is. After 12 books it still surprises me how good the author is in creating unique stories , every book is like a new experience. Solid read.
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Reread Jan. 2017 - Loved it just as much as the first time...and second time! I never tire of these characters - the relationship development is always outstanding and the case intriguing. I can't ask for anything more. The entire series is a Must Read.
Christa
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The one where a series of murders increasingly closer to Roarke is a set up for a distraction for a major heist after an old friend comes back into Roarke’s life.

I loved Magda.

Eve laughed. “That’s probably mean.”
“Oh, probably. But where’s the fun in talking about people if you only say nice things?

Also Eve’s maternal instincts are hilarious.

“Yes.” Mira sighed, dabbed at her eyes. “There’s nothing like a new life coming into the world to remind us why we’re here. The hope and the
Lena
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, cops-fbi
C46E407C-ECC5-418E-A2C7-D5BE1DCCC93A.jpg

Someone has sent an assassin to kill off Roarke’s people, one silver wire garrote at a time.

Well, Eve’s not going to stand for that.
Carol
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Betrayal in Death by J.D. Robb
Series: In Death, #12
Suspense > futuristic > romance > mystery

(First Read: 07/24/17) A dead maid, raped and strangled as she goes about her tasks in the luxurious Roarke Palace Hotel, is Eve’s newest victim. Roarke wishes anyone but Eve had the case because of her past. But Eve is determined to solve the crime before the killer claims his next victim.
As things weren't complicated enough Roarke's childhood friend shows up. And McNab, furious and jealous
Tina
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
"He Whistled as he beat her, He hummed as he raped her. By the time he'd strangled her, he was singing."

So begins the 12th book in the In Death series set in late Spring the year 2059.

Roarke is busily hosting the grand event of the season. An auction of movie star Magda Lane's memorabilia at his posh Plaza Hotel. Hundreds of millions of dollars are expected to be raised for charity. In the midst of this a hotel maid is brutally raped and murdered.

Eve quickly identifies the perp. A known
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

A trained killer is on the loose. He is attacking people who work for Roarke and has been having his merry way with them. He beats then, rapes them and then finishes them off with his trademark weapon, a silver piece of wire. This guy is a slick criminal, both intelligent and cunning as a cat. He manages to always slip out of Eve’s grasp like water.

But Eve Dallas still won’t give up this fight because this case hits a little closer to home. Roarke is now feeling
Mei
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
What I loved here is that we now since the start who the killer is! Every agency knew who he is: FBI, Global... everybody! And nobody could catch him!

So why is he Killing seemingly random persons? Obviously, there's a reason and finding out what that reason is, is the core of the story here!

The characters continue to amuse and entertain me! I would love to meet them in person!!!

A wonderful, wonderful add to the series! On to the next!

... I always tag these books as contemporary even if they're
Elvan
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, audiobooks
I do love the baddest of the bad and Sylvester Yost is one of the nastiest adversaries Eve has to deal with in the series. One memorable scene I always enjoy reading is the scene with Sumerset haggling over the cost of grapes with the Asian grocer. Entertaining read.

• Hot Rocks
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • Under Currents
  • Dance of the Gods (Circle Trilogy, #2)
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • Of Blood and Bone (Chronicles of The One, #2)
  • Long, Tall Texans: Tony
  • High Noon
  • Cast the First Stone (Sidney Stone #1)
  • The Lost Book of Remedies
  • Major Tales and Poems
  • Sunrise Alley
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • 6 Days to Valentine
  • Unofficial Series List - J.D. Robb - In Order: In Death novels, novellas, and short stories
  • Amazon Echo: The 2016 User Guide And Manual: Get The Best Out Of Amazon Echo
  • Without a Trace (The O'Hurleys, #4)
  • Tribute
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“Vending Machine: "This product has no known nutritional value and may cause irritability or wakefulness in some individuals. Please enjoy your selection and your day."

Eve: "Up yours.”
69 likes
“I want a riot laser," Eve snapped at Peabody. "Full body armor." She yanked a six-inch combat knife from its leather sheath and watched with glee, as its wicked serrated edge caught the sunlight through her little window.
Peabody's eyes popped. "Sir?"
"I'm going down to maintenance, and I'm going locked and loaded. I'm taking those piss-brain sons of bitches out, one by one. Then I'm going to haul what's left of the bodies into my vehicle and set it on fire."
"Jesus, Dallas, I thought we had a red flag."
"I've got a red flag. I've got one." Her eyes wheeled to Peabody. "I've got under fifty miles on my ride since those lying, cheating, sniveling shitheads said it was road ready. Road ready? Do you want me to tell you about road ready?"
"I would like that very much, Lieutenant. If you'd sheathe that knife first.”
47 likes