Start by marking “Black Butler, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Black Butler, Vol. 3

Black Butler, Vol. 3

(黒執事 [Kuroshitsuji] #3)

Terrorizing its populace, Jack the Ripper has shaken London to its very core. But when Sebastian Michaelis, singular butler of the Phantomhive house, lays bare the madman's true identity, all that is left for him to do is eliminate the perpetrator in the name of the Queen and Phantomhive. But inhumanly efficient skills don't guarantee victory when the opponent is just as ...more
Published October 26th 2010 by Yen Press (first published December 18th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Black Butler, Vol. 3, please sign up.
Zachary Landrum Typically, manga is read from right-to-left, a custom that is natural to Japanese readers. Like Arden said, there should be a "How to Read"…moreTypically, manga is read from right-to-left, a custom that is natural to Japanese readers. Like Arden said, there should be a "How to Read" instructional page in the book.(less)

Start your review of Black Butler, Vol. 3
Ozan
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the comedy routine between the other servants and Sebastian and how Sebastian saved the day as a butler and more in the end so far. But what really amazed me was the origin of Madam Red which was told in a chapter in the begining of the volume 3. It was brilliant, so sad... Poor woman suffered alot. This didn't make her actions ok in anyway though, nothing could make that. What she did over and over again was just so horrible... That chapter and the all of the story involving Madam Red ...more
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75/5 stars

Did not care much for that huge fighting scene, but the backstory of Lady Red was so sad and well executed, and the ending was kind of sweet and very touching - so the 3rd volume was definitely worth it.

Interested about the new characters (?) being introduced at the very last pages. Cliffhangers galore, so onto the next one I go.

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG
Sara
Ah, a bit weird, a bit creepy, at times a little perverse, but I'm reading it anyway. I'm reading it because I LOVE the Black Butler.

Why 3 instead of 4 stars? It's the story line. At times confusing, at times silly, at times flowing like a frozen stream, I feel the urge to keep reading because I like the main character.

This third volume did give us some good background on Ciel's aunt - the lady in red. There's a visit from Ciel's fiance and her mother at the end - at least the fiance wasn't
Ladiibbug
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#3 Black Butler

The cover art is so striking -- I was so amazed at the image of Sebastian fighting with kitchen utensils, it was hard to get started ;-).

Jack the Ripper case is successfully resolved. More backstory is provided, but *no spoilers* so will leave it at that.

For better reviews, see Good Reader Yvensong's reviews of these books.
Alison
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this manga series so much. I love the superb art and design of this series and it's half the reason I read them, or rather, look at them. It's gorgeous stuff and the story is fun too.
Mohamed
getting better and less generic
Anastasiaadamov
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, manga
Dark and dramatic. I did not like the cliffhanger ending...
Despair Speaking
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Finally the question you've been asking a lot in the second volume is answered in the third! Jack the Ripper's true identity has been finally revealed! Ciel and Sebastian manages to catch Jack the Ripper in the act but will they be able to stop him? Especially since Jack the Ripper has quite a few tricks up his sleeve that may actually even beat Sebastian? How is that even possible?!

I'm not going to spoil even if I truly want to. You can just comment on my profile if you don't have this copy and
Lillian
I will admit that I did not read the 3rd volume in book format. No. I perfer not to with how bad the translation of the first two volumes were.

I read the 3rd vol. threw scans. And I must say, without the nuisence of a bad translation done by Yen Press, I could enjoy this series more fully.

The climax of the Jack the Ripper arc hits its mark here. A nice action battle, humor, and some emotional torment that all flows together in this. I really enjoyed this, especially with the more accurate
Kalilah
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-etc
Ciel is such a tattoo; every time he feels someone else is going to get a sympathy vote over unfortunate circumstances he butts in with his, "MY PARENTS DIED WHEN I WAS JUST A CHILD!" sob story. He can't seem to swallow the fact that anyone other than himself could possibly suffer the same amount as he has and feel bad about it. What's more, his philosophic rants boil down to a strong belief against self-pity and relying on others - when that is in fact the essence of his own existence.
Of
Miss Ryoko
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I think I'll say this every review: Sebastian is so sexy!!

Haha, well, its not just him. Apparently its all the males. The mysterious prince who shows up on the last page is pretty hot too! XD

Haha, but enough about the ridiculous hotness of the men in this manga!

This volume was actually pretty heartbreaking. It was interesting getting to see the background of some of Ciel's family. So far, with the members we've met, they all seem very different.

And I was dying in hysterical laughter when Aunt
nuzha
Nicki Markus
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Still enjoying this story and I will be requesting more titles from the library soon.
Irina Cebanu
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A while ago I met some negative comments about this manga, saying it contains incest scenes. There is nothing like that in the anime, so I decided to read the manga and see. Apparently, the incest rumors appear from the 14th chapter of this volume, where the readers find out that Elizabeth and Ciel are cousins, his father and her mother being brother and sister. Although this is true, it is not the kind of weird, forbidden love, it is an arrangement made by his and her parents that they would ...more
Kassy Harris
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dark manga lovers
Shelves: manga
A great close to one of the best arcs in this manga. This volume is where the violence really comes into play and we see how vicious Sebastian and Ciel's world is. I know many people are huge fans of Grelle, but the scenes that he's in always just make me cringe! Despite this, it's hard to overlook how magnificent the art is throughout. It continues to impress with each volume and even holds up in the crazy action scenes.
The end bonus chapter is one of my favorites as well! It's super cute and
Sibil
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is even more full of emotional stuff, and Ciel manages to surprise us. I don't know if it's the manga or it's just me, but every time Ciel shows to be human and not just an icicle I melt. Every single time. And we see even more of his relationship with Sebastian, and I melted here, too.
It was a great reading, as always, and it leaves you wanting more!
Nancy T
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meggan Turner
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series also I ADORE GRELL
Lori C
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grim-fantasy
This series has a real knack for mixing the beautifully sad with the delightfully cute in a way only manga ever seems to do.
Achillia Herondale

Total: 4.7
Bailey Marissa
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2k17
This was really good. We got character development and more Jack the Ripper.

I feel bad for Ciel's aunt. :(
Rachel Joy
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really well written. There's drama, comedy, paranormal action, and he likes cats.
What can I say, I like Sebastian.
Reeva
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!

I feel so bad for Madam Red. Her life was a sad sad story. The man she loved married her sister. Then Red's husband died and she lost her baby. Red couldn't have kids after that and giving all those abortions to whores, when Red wanted what they were throwing away. She just wanted what they had. She gone crazy and then we easily seduced by the Reaper. I'm sorry Red died. I liked her.

I was so confused about whether the Reaper was a boy or a girl, he's a boy I figured out!
Karissa
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third volume in the Black Butler series. I have been absolutely loving this series; it is incredibly entertaining and well drawn.

This volume finishes up the Jack the Ripper storyline started in Vol 2. We also get to meet Ciel’s betrothed’s mother and go on a hunt.

I continue to enjoy the humor and the paranormal plot in these manga. They are absolutely beautifully illustrated with a lot of attention to detail.

I love Ciel and Sebastian as characters; they are fun, mysterious, and quite
Randee
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
As someone else posted, Sebastian IS sexy without even trying to be. I am reading them in order, so this is obviously the third manga and continues the 'Jack the Ripper' story from Volume 2. It's hard for me to put my finger on why I enjoy this so much. It's very 'stylistic' and one either admires it or not, I suppose. I not only love a culture that can bring about such artistry, but the culture that makes it popular. I honestly believe when it comes to dramas, movies, manga's, books...the ...more
Sarah Hayes
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-lns-misc
This volume wraps up the Jack The Ripper story arc and concludes with a sweet, character-driven chapter concerning Ciel and Lizzie. I've always considered the JTR arc as the point by which if readers don't like the series yet, they won't like the series at all beyond this point. Ergo, if you didn't like this volume, you'd probably be better off dropping Black Butler all together. The very end of this volume teases the next story arc, featuring two of my favorite characters - Agni and Soma - and ...more
Yvensong
In this volume, we have a resolution to the Jack the Ripper murders. We, also, learn more about the bond between Ciel Phantomhive and Sebastian, his Butler. Several other connections are revealed, such as Ciel's connection to the Queen, and why he is known as Her "Watchdog", and Grelle's connection to Madam Red.

There are numerous other reveals, which I do not wish to spoil for anyone who is not familiar with these stories, that are interesting, and will be entertaining in future stories.

Patricia
Dyanna
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Black Butler {dream cast}
Ciel & Lizzy-Modern AU

I just have to confess that I like that Ciel was determined to protect Lizzy with his own life despite his claiming that she is just a chess piece , he totally lies , he feels much more then he lets on the surface !
Totally love Ciel & Lizzy :)

• Blue Exorcist, Tome 2 (Blue Exorcist, #2)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 02 (Soul Eater, #2)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 01 (Soul Eater, #1)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 15 (Ouran High School Host Club, #15)
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1  (Blue Exorcist, #1)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 9 (Vampire Knight, #9)
  • Hetalia: Axis Powers, Vol. 1 (Hetalia: Axis Powers, #1)
  • Hetalia: Axis Powers, Vol. 2 (Hetalia: Axis Powers, #2)
  • Junjo Romantica, Volume 01
  • Pandora Hearts 1巻
  • Pandora Hearts, Volume 2
  • Pandora Hearts, Volume 3
  • Tokyo Ghoul, Tome 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 1 (Vampire Knight, #1)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 22 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #22)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1)
  • Pandora Hearts, Volume 6
Yana Toboso (枢 やな Toboso Yana) is a female Japanese manga artist born in Warabi, Saitama Prefecture, Japan and currently resides in Yokohama. She is best known for Black Butler (黒執事 Kuroshitsuji), a popular shonen manga series.

She has also written yaoi under the pen name Yanao Rock (簗緒ろく).

Appearance
Yana Toboso draws herself as a devil with a black body and horns, a white head, and a pointed tail.

黒執事 [Kuroshitsuji] (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 2 (Black Butler, #2)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 4 (Black Butler, #4)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 5 (Black Butler, #5)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 6 (Black Butler, #6)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 7 (Black Butler, #7)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 8 (Black Butler, #8)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 9 (Black Butler, #9)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 10 (Black Butler, #10)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 11 (Black Butler, #11)
“I want a baby of my very own one day, but it seems that my being male is a BIIIIT of a problem.” 70 likes
“Even though I dislike being kicked by others, I do enjoy the feeling of kicking others” 65 likes