Start by marking “Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known” as Want to Read:
Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known

Who Let the Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  415 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
The dazzling, inimitable Molly Ivins is back, with her own personal Hall of Fame of America’s most amazing and outlandish politicians–the wicked, the wise, the witty, and the witless–drawn from more than twenty years of reporting on the folks who attempt to run our government (in some cases, into the ground).

Who Let the Dogs In? takes us on a wild ride through two decades
Published July 6th 2004 by Random House (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Who Let the Dogs In?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Let the Dogs In?

James
Dec 11, 2007 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
A very good book from near the end of Molly Ivins' career and life; she died too young and is needed now as much as ever. This is a funny read, but at the same time, I found myself feeling sad and discouraged as I thought over the events of the last several years in American politics and our economy, environment, and culture. Sometimes the good guys lose, and we may not be able to get back everything that's been lost, stolen, or destroyed.
Cheryl Gatling
This book is a collection of Molly Ivins old newspaper columns. As such, it's all old news. It's topical, and it's dated. I learned many things about the politics of the recent past. But I learned more about what kind of human being Molly Ivins was. The more I read, the more I loved her. She was smart, and laugh-out-loud funny, and I might have loved her for that alone, but I loved her more dearly for her deep-rooted decency, and belief in this country. She believes that government is supposed t ...more
Katy
Jun 21, 2010 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those of you who don't know, Molly Ivins was a political journalist and humorist. She was born and raised in Texas and as her career grew she moved from Texas politics to the national stage. She was a Texas liberal, a rare breed indeed. She wrote a syndicated column, and this book is a collection of some of those columns.

I really enjoyed this book. The author has a gift for writing as a home-spun Texan, full of idioms and southern commentary, yet I still found myself needing a dictionary eve
Ari
Jul 19, 2010 Ari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's start with the downsides: this is a fairly comprehensive collection of Ivins' work, and, as such, treads a lot of familiar ground. Her chapters worth of insights on Clinton, Bush and the big-name scandals of years past are nothing fresh; and lacking currentness, the constant exhortations along the same few lines - Clinton is a great politician and an upbeat guy, Bush isn't as dumb as you think - are a little tiring.

But that's not why you're reading this book. You're reading it for Ivins' f
Genie
Jun 22, 2010 Genie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Those who say no one is irreplaceable, obviously never read the political writings of Molly Ivans.
During the forty + years of reporting on politics for both the Ft.Worth Star Telegram and the Texas Observer, Ivans gave political analysis with both insight and a sharp wit. This book is a compilation of her best articles written during the Nixon years and continuing through the G.W. Bush administration.

One of the best political satirist in journalism, Ivins never relied on the use of humor alone.
Margie
Apr 13, 2009 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whereas most of Molly's earlier books focused on a particular era (Bushwacked, for instance, is from when the Shrub was in office), this is a compilation of pieces she wrote from the time Bush the Elder was in office. They're not her best pieces (those, of course, were published in her previous books), but Molly Ivins when she wasn't at her best was funnier and more insightful than most people. Reading this collection mostly made me miss her, but also rekindled the joy of reading her work.
Allison Kirchner
Jul 07, 2017 Allison Kirchner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was aware of Molly Ivins but hadn't read many of her columns. Maybe she wasn't carried regularly in the Washington Post. I chose this audiobook at the Fairfax County Library as entertainment during my commutes, and it was a great pleasure to hear some of her best works condensed in this 10-disc set. I was sad to learn that she died several years ago of the cancer that she mentioned in one of her stories. Although this collection could have seem dated since it covered Reagan, Bush 41, Clinton, ...more
Kate
Mar 22, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The dazzling, inimitable Molly Ivins is back, with her own personal Hall of Fame of America's most amazing and outlandish politicians -- the wicked, the wise, the witty, and the witless -- drawn from more than twenty years of reporting on the folks who attempt to run our government (in some cases, into the ground).

Who Let the Dogs In? takes us on a wild ride through two decades of political life, from Ronald Regan, through Big George and Bill Clinton, to 9our current top dog, known to Ivins rea
Karen-Leigh
With Donald Trump highlighting the craziness of American politics in 2016, this book should be compulsory reading for every single American. Written with humour, it is, nonetheless, sick-making and frightening to read of the greed and mismanagement at the top levels of the most powerful country in the world. This has been going on for a very long time and what the media is doing to Hillary today is only a continuation of what was done during her husband's administration. The Republican party obs ...more
Will
Feb 13, 2016 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though the "best of" columns collected in this book are quite dated now, mostly written during the Reagan, Clinton, and Bush (both) eras, much of Molly's wisdom is just as trenchant now as then, especially some of her more generic observations about political power (generally abuse of), the effect of money in politics (what WOULD she think now, post Citizens United?). Here's a call to arms from her introduction:

"You have more political power than 99 percent of all the people who have ever l
kate
Aaaawwwwwwhhhhhhh.....blatant bleeding heart liberal. It has been so long since I read or heard one.

This is a good sampler of her work - a couple of decades of washington politics and texan politics (how does a liberal love texas?) from the perspective of someone who writes like she is a warm, intelligent, funny idealist.

Reliving the frustration with the Clinton administration and the devastation of the Bush administration turning from predictable Republican shenanigans to a glimpse into somethi
A.
Jan 09, 2013 A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Bless the late, great Molly Ivins. How I wish her particular brand of intelligent Texan snark was still around, because heaven knows the country deserves it. As a child of the 80s, I was mostly familiar with Ivins' comments on George W. Bush and Rick Perry; it was a treat (and educational) to read her writings on Clinton and George Bush, given I was busy being in elementary school at the times of their presidencies.

I also admit that as a Southerner (not Texan, but with Texan parents) she does m
Jill
May 09, 2008 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political-social
A collection of her newspaper columns about politics and/or the people in them. She covers Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, various Texas politicians, and a bunch of commentary about various other people. Never say she didn't tell you what you needed to know about them!

It can be a long read because the content is rather heavy, even when lightened with humor. It is interesting to read it from the vantage point of 7 1/2 years of Dubya - she called it and so many of the things she was trying to g
Colleen Martin
Dec 05, 2007 Colleen Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This isn't a book of new material, but rather a compilation of some of the articles Molly Ivins wrote throughout her 40-year political reporting career. Her insight is amazing and, nine times out of ten, spot-on. If every American listened to her common sense approach to politics and government, we'd probably be in a better place today. No one is safe - regardless of what party you belong to, if you're an elected official and you screw up, you will be eviscerated in print. I especially like her ...more
Phil Lawless
Apr 10, 2016 Phil Lawless rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mollie-ivins
This is a collection of columns about some, or most, of Molly Ivin's subjects from the Shrub Bush years to the Bush 43 years. Not all connected, and some really complementary columns about some of her acquaintances who had died. It is a mixed bag, with some columns recycled from Bushwhacked, and others more contemporary. A literary scholar might discern changes from previous columns, but to little consequence. According to Molly, we have all been screwed, but there have been some good guys stand ...more
James
Feb 07, 2017 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, material is from some years back, but the subject matter has relevance today. And it makes me wish she were still around to give her perspective on the sorry state of politics today.
Gene
Sep 29, 2012 Gene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has Molly Ivins really been gone five years?

The world without her is a much poorer and sadder place.

This book which details years of observation of various political animals is a great place to get to know Molly as well. Her observations on the Great State (eg-Texas) and the political theater to be found there are priceless. I'm unhappy we didn't get a book about the Tea Party from her. It would've been funny and true. RIP, Molly.
Jimyanni
Sep 02, 2010 Jimyanni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This book is essentially a "greatest hits" album; it's a retrospective on Molly's best political commentary over the last 20-30 years of her life (running from Reagan to W. Bush). Any long-time fan will have seen most or all of these columns before. But they ARE a selection of her best work, and that makes it quite good indeed. Don't read it if you've read everything she's ever read & don't want reruns, but other than that, highly recommended.
Beetletheknee
This book was really interesting because SHE was really interesting. She's got such a way with words, and her attitude and perspective are refreshing in a sort of caustic way. I think I'd very much like to read her other books, especially more focused on current political ... uh, characters, because for the most part, many of the people she skewered in here I've never heard of. Still funny though!
Candice
I miss Molly Ivins. That's why I bought this book of some of her collected political satire. Turns out there was plenty to laugh about even before the current Bush administration. And she does it with such wit and style! Reminds me that things were bad back then too before I really paid any attention to politics. May she rest in peace!
Steve
Nov 08, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 12-1-12
I'm enjoying this. Well, enjoying isn't quite the right word but Molly still makes me laugh. Yes, it is dated but when you read things about Reagan for example as they happened and then see how they still affect us today, you have to laugh or shake you head.

On another point, I always enjoy her stories about John Henry Faulk and then cry that he is gone too.
Haley
Jan 04, 2008 Haley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My only regret of reading this book is that the wonderful and talented Molly Ivins won't be around to write more. She connects to people in a way that I wish more people in government would. Her writing is not only funny, engaging and incredibly informed but also damn feisty. I recommend this book to everyone!
Audrey
Jan 25, 2008 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jackie, Brandie, Emma, Tom
After hearing an interview on national public radio, I decided to read this book and see if it lived up to the billing. It did. This is a hilarious account of political lives. However, it also chronicles the corporate political ties that have developed through the years and our decaying bill of rights. Give it a read and see what you think.
Paul Dinger
Jan 09, 2009 Paul Dinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Molly Ivins sadly passed away recently and it is still a national tragedy. This book shows she is a lot more than just a critic of the Bush administration. This is a great read for her views on politics for the last thirty years. I couldn't put it down it was so interesting.
Hollis
Jun 23, 2010 Hollis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous selection of op-eds from the past 20 years. Molly is so pithy and just tells it like it is. On Bill Clinton: Couldn't he keep his penis in his pants for 8 short years? She died several decades too young. I would have liked to have read her commentary on the 2010's and 20's.
Em
A good collection of classic Ivins, but it gets almost a little too comprehensive toward the end. The discussions of national politicians and personalities is much more interesting than the local folks that populate most of the end of the book.
Caleb
Feb 07, 2012 Caleb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and yet scary, i.e. Hillarifying
Simon
Sep 23, 2009 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was just a collection of old opinion pieces, but I liked it because she read it. Great for the car. It is sad she has passed on.
Karen
Aug 07, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gets to be same stuff over and over.
Sharon Anne Beers
Feb 17, 2016 Sharon Anne Beers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So funny. RIP Molly.
  • There's Nothing in the Middle of the Road but Yellow Stripes and Dead Armadillos: A Work of Political Subversion
  • Bushworld
  • Had Enough?: A Handbook for Fighting Back
  • Who Will Tell the People: The Betrayal of American Democracy
  • What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News
  • Sweet Charity?: Emergency Food and the End of Entitlement
  • It's Not Mean If It's True: More Trials from My Queer Life
  • Memo to the President Elect: How We Can Restore America's Reputation and Leadership
  • Parliament of Whores: A Lone Humorist Attempts to Explain the Entire U.S. Government
  • Hard Call: Great Decisions and the Extraordinary People Who Made Them
  • Molly Ivins: A Rebel Life
  • Spanking the Donkey: Dispatches from the Dumb Season
  • Why America Slept: The Reasons Behind Our Failure to Prevent 9/11
  • Where the Right Went Wrong: How Neoconservatives Subverted the Reagan Revolution and Hijacked the Bush Presidency
  • Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction
  • The Junior Officers' Reading Club: Killing Time And Fighting Wars
  • Monsieur Proust's Library
  • Obliviously On He Sails: The Bush Administration in Rhyme
American newspaper columnist, political commentator, and best-selling author from Austin, Texas.

More about Molly Ivins...