Start by marking “Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1)” as Want to Read:
Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1)

Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  94,470 Ratings  ·  10,249 Reviews
'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R cho
Paperback, UK Edition, 240 pages
Published October 28th 2010 by Random House Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Warm Bodies, please sign up.

Maggie Stiefvater
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, recommended
Ten Reasons to Read WARM BODIES

1. It is a zombie book. But not like that. In the spirit of honesty, I had this book as an advanced review copy for literally months before I picked it up. It had glowing reviews from Stephanie Meyer, so I figured it couldn’t be that gross, and a glowing quote from Audrey Niffeneggar, so I figured it had to be well-written. But . . . zombies. Hopeless gore. I have a pretty strict disinterest in zombies that I break only for Carrie Ryan’s books. I’m not going to tel
Lucy
Wendy Darling
What makes us human? Is it merely a collection of living flesh and tissue and bone, or is it also consciousness and memory and feeling? R, the young zombie who narrates this novel, isn't really sure. But after meeting Julie, a human girl he impulsively saves and hides away in an abandoned plane, he begins to experience thoughts and feelings that he'd forgotten he'd ever had.

Warm Bodies is a wistful love story that is creepy, sad, sweet, and disturbing in equal measure. The notion that it is poss
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Made the list for

Best Badass Zombie Books...

Lessons learned from R (who happens to be a zombie)

1. Sometimes you are up, and sometimes you are down. That is until the power goes out and you are stuck.

2. Freaking out is not going to help, instead get married!

3. Sometimes a little brain goes a long way, unless of course you just ate the last of it, and then you are so screwed.

4. It is not our words but our actions that speak loudest regarding who we are.

Rachel
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I finished this book awhile ago, but I've been avoiding writing my review. The only reason I can think of is that I really don't want my first read glow to go away. You know that time after you read a really spectacular book when you're just sitting around, thinking about how wonderful it was and going over passages you loved? I think I've been doing that for two weeks now. Every time I think about Warm Bodies, I wonder at how good it was.

Warm Bodies follows R, a zombie unlike those we normally
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-series, audiobook
Cold Hands, Warm Heart

"R" spends his time at the airport, taking long walks and scooping brains out of skulls. He's a zombie but unlike most of the ones he's met, he can think about more than just his stomach.

Julie is one of the last humans living in the settlement. She's finally old enough to go out on a raiding mission but when she does, her team gets ambushed almost immediately.

As R chomps on the brain of Julie's boyfriend (Perry), he experiences the memories. Seeing Julie from Perry's persp
Jamie
What an entertaining delight! I first heard of this book through the movie trailer. I was very skeptical about this, yet oddly curious at the same time. A zombie who falls in love.... I did not know what to expect getting into this. What I ended up experiencing was a story like no other.

'R' is a zombie with personality. Not very common, right? Even the other zombies think he is odd. He longs for memories...for life. When he eats the brain of a young man named Perry and saving a human girl, thin
Kat Kennedy
This is not a young adult novel.

I mean, it is about a young adultish human and zombie who fall in love and set about to change the world with love. But this is not a young adult novel.

It has themes of young love and disaffected youth and hopeful new beginnings but this is not a young adult novel, people!

Regardless of what it is, it’s a pretty good novel, but I have a confession. This is going to translate in people’s minds as me being simplistic and unable to handle the deeper, more complicated
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4.5 stars. Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

In Warm Bodies (2010), our world has been overrun by the zombies, and the few humans who are left are fighting a rearguard action. They huddle in walled enclosures, sending out occasional armed expeditions for food and supplies. Regular school classes have fallen by the wayside, replaced by classes and demonstrations on how to best kill a zombie permanently (head shots).

R is a zombie who doesn’t remember his past life, except that his n
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
This was a big surprise, though not entirely a pleasant one.

Try imagining the most disgusting relationship in the history of mankind. Are you done yet? Need some help?

(view spoiler)

Now multiply that feeling of disgust by ten. Or even better, by a hundred. Oookay. I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling pretty nauseous here.

If you’ve got it, try thinking of a way to make that feeling and that relationship adorable. You heard me! Adorable. I thought it was impossible
Carolyn  Storer
I was quite skeptical, as well as intrigued, when I was sent "Warm Bodies" to review. I would never have imagined putting "zombie" and "romance" in the same sentence. I assumed the putrid decomposition of flesh and the eating of brains would have been a bit of a turn off.

After reading the first page I didn't know whether I would be able to take this book seriously: a zombie romance? And with quotes like these...
"My friend 'M' says thie irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you
Stacia (the 2010 club)
With the new season of The Walking Dead back on tonight, I thought I'd go back and take a look at some killer (hah) zombie fiction. The closest book to the show Walking Dead that I've read is The First Days, so if you're needing more of that gory, survivalist-type of zombie book, I'd check that one out.

This book, however, is fresh in my mind due to the author himself making some recent comments that he's not altogether thrilled about some book stores shelving his book as Young Adult instead of A
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔

Another book off my to-read shelf from 2013! Yay me! I have not seen the movie yet, but now I really want to, esp. since Nicholas Hoult is such a cutie.

Everyone has already read and reviewed this (I'm so late for the party), but here's my review. "R" is a zombie with an existential crisis that only gets worse when he meets Julie and instantly falls for her. He also happened to eat her boyfriend's brain, so has flashback memories of his life, some of which include her. (He met her when his group
Sasha Alsberg
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing book, just read it!
Jessica
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this book to complete the #TBRTakedown challenge of reading a book outside my comfort zone. I've never been into zombie movies and until this book, I've never read any books with zombies. Overall, I just thought this book was okay.. Some parts really grossed me out... Parts of it seemed rushed and like we didn't get to learn a lot about the world.. Or there just wasn't enough world building I suppose... I did think it was interesting and I liked the changes the main character, R, went thr ...more
Apr 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Krista Regester
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s official: this book is fuckin whack. But somehow good?!?! I don’t really understand how this works but it does… and why did it take me so long to read it?? Isaac Marion is strangely great at giving a zombie perspective.

R + Julie for life and death.
Heather
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with a zombie. There, I said it out loud and I’m not embarrassed. Isaac Marion’s novel, Warm Bodies, is a romance. Yes, a zombie romance! Now before you all get grossed out on me, hear me out. In this author’s post-zombie apocalypse world, you first meet R. R isn’t your typical zombie that shuffles around mumbling “Braaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnnssss!” until he stumbles upon his next meal. You step right into R’s shoes. In this world, zombies are dead (of course), and they are really reduced ...more
Isamlq
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it
R and Julie’s story is probably the strangest, creepiest, yet sweetest and most hopeful thing I’ve come across in ages. You see, WARM BODIES is a zombie romance, literally. Instead of the expected survivors falling for each other given the end of days shtick, we have an actual zombie love story. The concept had me questioning would I buy it? Or better yet, would Julie? Even if the background was not as clearly explained as I want it to be, MAN, would I like to pick the brain of the person behind ...more
Ailyne
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Update: Just saw movie trailer....i laughed out loud...and squealed. Here is the link ---> http://youtu.be/qrI8YIZsBok

HOLY. MOTHER. OF. ALL. THAT. IS. GORGEOUS.
Could any amount of my insignificant words fully encompass the greatness of this book? The answer here is no, no because the words printed on each copy of Warm Bodies are already tuned to a vast perfection greater than the sky itself. Isaac Marion..I applaud you, I give you ten million standing ovations, I declare you to be a master
Rebecca McNutt
A likable premise with some genuinely funny material, Warm Bodies is clever but still pinned down under the predictable tropes of the zombie subgenre. It's a good story and one of few that actually speaks from a zombie's perspective (except perhaps The Girl with All the Gifts), but it starts to drag on and get old really quickly.
Jo
4 1/2 stars.

I only read this book because I was expecting blood, gore and mild necrophilia.

Instead, I got a beautifully poetic book full of immaculately developed characters and gorgeous prose that demolished the well-worn cliches of zombie literature and everything I thought I knew about those old shufflers.

Man I hate it when I don't get what I want.
Pfft.
MK~ Picky Girl
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombie-love
finished and I loved it!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I'm so freakin excited to be starting this!!! Anyone who knows me well, knows that I have a love for all things zombies. So when my sis told me about a zombie romance, I said hell yeah I need to read this!!! I'm ready for some Zombie love!! Buddy read with Marta, Brenda and Rosanna!
**********************************************************
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Can't wait to meet the very interesting and very dead "R"

Lynda
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm sorry I can't properly introduce myself, but I don't have a name any more. Hardly any of us do. We lose them like car keys, forget them like anniversaries. Mine might have started with an 'R', but that's all I have for now.

None of us are particularly attractive, but death has been kinder to me than some. I'm still in the early stages of decay. Just the grey skin, the unpleasant smell, the dark circles under my eyes. I could almost pass for a Living man in need of a vacation.

zombie"/

Isaac Marion's de
Soumi
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I used to avoid any zombie movies or novels before reading Warm Bodies Well I still believe zombies are creepy but this book shook my thoughts upside down. This book taught us about being human. Humans are the only living species in the Homo genus, a human body is constructed of flesh and bone with warm blood flowing through our artery and vein, our heart beats at 60/RR interval in seconds. Then why are we so different from these living dead zombies??? Because we have feelings, we smile when we ...more
Taneika
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
A philosophical zombie love story is not something I expected! I thoroughly enjoyed this and the prose was gorgeous (albeit a bit purple, but enjoyable still). I REALLY WISH I READ THIS WHEN THE SEQUEL WAS ALREADY OUT THOUGH. I have so many questions I need answered!
☣Lynn☣
Such a unique take on zombies. I really loved reading from the mind of a zombie. R is freaking awesome and I can't fucking wait for the sequel! I'm hoping we learn more about the plague like how did it start and I wanna know if R ever remembers who he is.

What a great way to start 2016. :)
Lonna | FLYLēF
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-challenge
Wholly unexpected, thoroughly enjoyable. Full review to come...
Deborah Markus
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible-fun
Since I read this as an audiobook, I can't go back and share any quotes. [UPDATE: I have since wised up and started routinely checking out library print copies of my audio fare.] Which is a shame, since Warm Bodies is unexpectedly poetic for a zombie novel. It's also quite humorous.

If you've seen the movie: The book is significantly different enough to be worth a go. The relationship between R and Julie's boyfriend is deeper and more important in the book than in the movie. The "boneys" are symb
Montzalee Wittmann
Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1) by Isaac Marion was so boring that I got about half way through by forcing myself and gave up. I could not finish which is not like me at all. If I review a book, I finish it but I just could not torture myself any longer.
Nitro Pump 250 1 2 Mar 30, 2018 12:26AM
evaherbalist.com forskolin-slim-diet 1 1 Mar 09, 2018 11:53PM
evaherbalist.com/rejuvalex/ 1 2 Feb 24, 2018 05:30AM
A Million More Pages: BOTM 2017 - Warm Bodies - Starts 5th August 31 34 Sep 02, 2017 08:48AM
For Love of a Book: Warm Bodies October Series Group Read 21 45 Aug 16, 2017 08:39PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - Restarting July 5th 2017 68 184 Jul 12, 2017 01:22AM
  • Eat Slay Love (Living With the Dead, #3)
  • Raising Stony Mayhall
  • Dead of Night (Dead of Night, #1)
  • Fighting to Survive  (As The World Dies, #2)
  • This is Not a Test (This is Not a Test #1)
  • Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy, #2)
  • Dearly, Departed (Gone With the Respiration, #1)
  • The Reapers are the Angels (Reapers, #1)
  • Zombie, Ohio
  • Soulless
  • Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues (White Trash Zombie, #2)
  • Allison Hewitt Is Trapped (Zombie, #1)
  • Mortality (The Hitchhiker Strain, #1)
  • Zombie Britannica
  • Pariah
THE BURNING WORLD, the first sequel in the Warm Bodie series, is out now! Haven't read Warm Bodies yet? Jump right in; you'll catch up quickly. This is a book for NOW.

Buy directly from my site to get a bonus booklet, the Exed World Almanac:

isaacmarion.com/theburningworld

More about Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies (4 books)
  • The Burning World  (Warm Bodies, #2)
  • The Living (Warm Bodies, #3)
  • Boarded Window (Warm Bodies)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Don't Say A Word
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I want to change my punctuation. I long for exclamation marks, but I'm drowning in ellipses.” 1081 likes
“In my mind I am eloquent; I can climb intricate scaffolds of words to reach the highest cathedral ceilings and paint my thoughts. But when I open my mouth, everything collapses.” 928 likes