Start by marking “A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough” as Want to Read:
A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough

A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  259 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
From the moment we are born, we are seekers. Our culture obsessively promotes the pursuit of money, success and self-improvement. At the end of each activity-jammed day, though, we collapse into bed discouraged by everything we have not checked off on our to-do lists, in despair that whatever we have accomplished is never enough. Worse still, when our dreams become derai ...more
Published April 13th 2010 by Harmony (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough

Chestelle
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Wish I could give a copy to every one I know. To get the full effect, it should be read slowly and thoughtfully because it is truly a conversation with the author -- someone I would love to count as a friend...
Liz
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
The rating reflects the fact that I have read a lot of books quite similar to this so it felt like a review rather than challenging or stimulating new insights. My women's group struggled with "The Power of Now" together 15 years ago, and I read "The Wounded Healer" more like 35 years ago. Both books were referenced in this book or in reviews. However, if you are new to thinking outside the box about your spirituality, this would be a good primer. Without a doubt, for me, Wayne Muller's best wor ...more
Anthony
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a great "pause button" for anyone with a hectic lifestyle (meaning all human beings). Everyone I'm positive feels overwhelmed by LIFE like I do often times, so this book was a nice reminder to step back, appreciate the small and good things of the world, and strive to live one moment at a time. I will say that he draws a lot from religious and spiritual texts and authorities, so if that's not your thing, a heads up to ya.
Julianne
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am generally leery of self-help books as the wisdom they dispense can come across as shallow and hokey, but I thought this book made some very valid points explained in a way that was neither shallow nor too cheesy (it was a little hippy-dippy, it is a self help book after all!).
Julia
Jun 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I kept it by my bedside and read one of the short chapters each night as a meditation.
Stephanie
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was very inspiring and a great reset going into a new year.
Stephanie
Muller's latest release was the November selection for South Austin Spiritual Book Group. Our Book Group was kicked off in 2005 with Muller's book, "Sabbath", so we are full circle with this title.

I appreciated the contemporary editing with micro chapters and some content inserted from Wayne's friends and inspirational luminaries.

It is both a modern and ancient question to study the meaning of "enough" in our lives. It is a question I have pondered for perhaps forty years now. If you think about
Geri Hoekzema
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Occasionally the thing that's exactly right pops up at the time that's exactly right, and it feels like a gift. For me the most recent gift of this sort was Wayne Muller's gem of a book. Muller challenges readers to look beyond our culture's pressure to cram more into each day, get more done and be more "efficient" for it's own sake. Instead, he suggests that we'll live more fully if we choose mindfully, possibly scale down and give 100% of our attention to the activities and relationships we co ...more
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
I feel that this book can but distilled into a probably 3 or 4 paragraphs. As I was at a time that I have been thinking about this issue in my life it was helpful in that it helped to provide a concrete jumping off point for my thoughts.
I do feel though that this book is written from a certain place of economic certainty and does not really address issues of poverty or oppression that many people face on a daily basis.
Caroline
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wayne Muller is one of my favorite writers in the realm of spirituality and, well, our lives today, and this book takes on one of my favorite subjects: enough. Each chapter stands alone or with two or three others exploring one element of enoughness today, and while not every one is as powerful, the bulk of the sections are incredibly thought-provoking and well-written. Very worth a read!
Jerry Zondervan
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A profoundly reassuring journey into enough. Wayne reminded me to express gratefulness to this body in which I live, to remind myself to say enough when I feel tired, to realize that after a certain number of hours invested in a certain project it is time to say enough and to go get a breath of fresh air, to really learn -perhaps again - to say "this particular activity has been enough for me.
Rebecca Waring-Crane
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I started reading Muller's book last week. Savoring each chapter, I find the topic, approach and writing style exquisite and refreshing. I may just need to own a copy.
I finished reading, or rather savoring, Muller's work some time in spring. This book saved my life. 4.75 stars. Prose lovely but occasionally a bit awkward, otherwise 5 stars.
Kathy
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hard to argue with a book that says it will "preserve your sanity and save your life". A good read on knowing when it is time to say enough to a never ending to-do list. Message is good but author uses hundreds of commas in many six line sentences. Good reminders on slowing down. Read only because my daughter gave it to me. What does that say?
Elizabeth
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
A bit pedantic but overall personal, insightful, and persistent. We need to start by changing our definition of "enough" and Muller provides many many examples to do so. taking the long view (and not the path of immediate satisfaction or short term thinking) is a difficult but worthy habit.
Kerry
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So helpful. Beautifully written and spiritually grounded, a wonderful reminder to slow down, breathe, trust your inner wisdom and turn your attention to what matters. May be a book I gift to several friends this year.
Elyse
Nov 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Lots of helpful insights, but this particular Muller book felt more rambling to me ... more difficult to follow a thread. Might be better to just read a section each evening.

Still, worth the time for some specific nuggets.
Naomi
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wayne Muller's meditations on enoughness invariably lead us back to attention and to gratitude, fundamental practices of appreciation and acceptance and wonder. A fine volume that would also be good for small group study and discussions.
Wendy
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really, really loved this book. I got it from the library, but am going to have to buy it because I know I need to read it again & again. It is, quite simply, a recipe for living a satisfying life.
Beth
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This is a very easy read, yet profound. It was a very humbling reminder of what's most important in life & how simple life can be without us complicating it day to day. A great reminder that less always translates to being more. Great book for everyone to read!
Amanda Brent
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It gave me some tangible ways to change my perspective and come to peace/ deal with problems in my life. It was more Christian in tone than I expected, but coming from an agnostic viewpoint I still think the author manages to be all-inclusive and dogma free.
Sarah Taylor
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and found a few insights very helpful.
Rachel
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So, so good, for anyone who feels like there isn't enough time in the day...or there isn't enough self to go around.
Emily Freeman
May 11, 2014 marked it as abandoned
I only got about a quarter of the way in when it started to get a bit repetitive and rambling. Too many other great books to read! I passed this one on.
Jan 13, 2011 rated it liked it
It's definitely a self help book. I certainly wish he'd tell more touching stories or something...
Robert
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I first read this book on 7/15/10. This was my second reading, and it is still good.
Ellen
Aug 04, 2013 added it
This book works for me as a guidebook which means I open it in episodes of life, to seek comfort or wisdom.
Always come back to it.
Alex
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: motivationale
Good book full of wisdom gems. It's on the lighter side. Still something I would recommend to make one realize about what is enough in this rat race that is the world we live in.
Nivash Kumar
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book takes an elegant view of every day life. There is consolation for quite a lot of things we think we don't have enough. I really enjoyed reading it.
Mary  Hart
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A great book! ---helps to slow down and savor the moments --and let go of the small stuff.
Katie
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.
  • The Scandalous Gospel of Jesus: What's So Good About the Good News?
  • For All Eternity:  A four talk set to strengthen your marriage
  • A Curious Faith: Rediscovering a Good God with Childlike Wonder
  • The Gift of Giving Life: Rediscovering the Divine Nature of Pregnancy and Birth
  • You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit
  • Making Peace with the Things in Your Life: Why Your Papers, Books, Clothes, and Other Possessions Keep Overwhelming You and What to Do About It
  • Discernment: Reading the Signs of Daily Life
  • What Would a Holy Woman Do?
  • Self-Nurture: Learning to Care for Yourself As Effectively As You Care for Everyone Else
  • The Underground Church: Reclaiming the Subversive Way of Jesus
  • The Gentle Art of Blessing: A Simple Practice That Will Transform You and Your World
  • Unoffendable: How Just One Change Can Make All of Life Better
  • Great Basin Kingdom: An Economic History of the Latter-day Saints, 1830-1900,  New Edition
  • A Christianity Worth Believing: Hope-Filled, Open-Armed, Alive-And-Well Faith for the Left Out, Left Behind, and Let Down in Us All
  • The Wise Man Returns
  • Better than Perfect: Free Yourself from Impossible Standards So You Can Live a Happier, Healthier Life
  • The Life of Christ
  • Emergence Christianity: What It Is, Where It Is Going, and Why It Matters

“In that inevitable, excruciatingly human moment, we are offered a powerful choice. This choice is perhaps one of the most vitally important choices we will ever make, and it determines the course of our lives from that moment forward. The choice is this: Will we interpret this loss as so unjust, unfair, and devastating that we feel punished, angry, forever and fatally wounded-- or, as our heart, torn apart, bleeds its anguish of sheer, wordless grief, will we somehow feel this loss as an opportunity to become more tender, more open, more passionately alive, more grateful for what remains?” 25 likes
“There is more to life,” said Gandhi, “than increasing its speed.” 0 likes