Start by marking “Thirteen Cents” as Want to Read:
Thirteen Cents

Thirteen Cents

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  339 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews

Every city has an unspoken side. Cape Town, between the postcard mountain and sea, has its own shadow-side lurking in its lap: a place of dislocation and uncertainty, dependence and desperation, destruction and survival, gangsters, pimps, pedophiles, hunger, hope and moments of happiness. This book therefore is an extraordinary and unsparing account of the coming of age on

Published October 1st 2012 by New Africa Books (first published November 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Thirteen Cents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirteen Cents

AC
Mixed feelings about this one. A vivid description of hard street life in the underbelly of Capetown. The principle character is a homeless youth of 12 and a child prostitute. But I found the second half more pretentious and less convincing. I will give this three stars; some might give it four.

Duiker was part of the movement of the New Postcolonial literature that flourished after Apartheid. This new movement was less political, less pan-Africanist, more cosmopolitan, given less to objective n
Anne-Marie
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This book had me riveted until about half way through. Then it just lost the plot with the main character becoming all weird and seeing & thinking things that made absolutely no sense and he wasn't on drugs or anything. It was almost as if he was under some evil spell. The author depicts the life on the streets of Cape Town with absolute brilliance and honesty, but the last half of tge story spoiled it for me.
Penny de Vries
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sa-fiction
Thirteen Cents is a shock to the system; a punch to the solar plexus; a very grim read but brilliantly executed. It is written from the perspective of a homeless, twelve year old boy Azure, pronounced Ah-zoo-ray, as he tells us, who has to think of himself as a man. It is set in a Cape Town that is very different from the one many readers know. This book was published in 2000 and I have been asking myself why I have not read it before, especially as it is highly acclaimed and I knew this. After ...more
Lee Abrahams
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book delves into the real world of the "Cape Town" city. There is a look at how a street child has to survive, also how gangsters are initiated and formed. In addition, a family-hood in the gangster world and their philosophy or their take on Cape Town. Their philosophy is strange, but has merit, when considering their circumstance. They live in an imbalanced society and want to have things aswell, one character Sealy, refers to banks, church's, town or high society as the greater evil as th ...more
Puleng Hopper
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book follows the tumultuous journey of twelve year old orphan Azura, who turns thirteen in the story. At ten years of age he witnessed both his parent's corpses in a pool of blood, brutally murdered. He is homeless. A school drop out. His roof is the Sea point and Green point sky in Cape Town. The outside fire is his blanket.

In the streets he gets exposed to what I would not wish upon any child, gangsters , torture, rape, drugs, racism, bullying , prostitution, betrayal, violence , displacem
Alex Hoffman
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was written in a way that made it very easy to read, despite it's content being so disturbing and depressing that you'd think it should be difficult to read. This is the story of a 12-year-old street child in Cape Town who survives by prostituting himself. It is a devastating an poignant tale about the corruption and manipulative practices of the adult world set in a place that I actually know very well. Perhaps because I know Cape Town and, in particular Sea Point (where most of the n ...more
Kerstin
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought it was good right until the end, where I feel that Duiker either lost control, or that I was simply not smart enough to work out exactly what occurred - metaphorically or otherwise.

Thankfully, I am not alone in my ignorance. My English lecturer also seemed somewhat mystified. As did the rest of the 3rd year English students. I think this is something of a failing, assuming the book had ethical/moral goals. If the reader is left nonplussed, I think they are also left unsure of how to ta
Mar 17, 2014 marked it as to-read
nothing yet because i have not yet read the book
Mike Cahoon
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a tough book to read given it's subject matter but K. Sello Duiker was remarkable writer. The 13 year-old protagonist of this novel is heartbreaking and pretty inspiring. This is a novel about a orphaned boy who does everything he can to survive a Cape Town that is hostile and exploitive. It's written in a simple brutal style and includes a lot of regional slang/dialect (very helpful glossary included in my edition). It's a simple story (well except for the ending, which I won't go into her ...more
Sandisiwe Magadla
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a solid read. I'm sure I'm not the only who enjoyed the first part but did not necessarily enjoy the second part. I've noticed that Duiker had a particular style in transcendence. His characters go through some journey towards the ending of his books as seen with Tshepo in The Quiet Dreams of Violence and with Azure in this book. The book was gut wrenching. The way the violence in Cape Town was an every day part of Azure's life makes my stomach turn with anxiety and rage. The book deals ...more
Demajestic Ramz
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Great story telling, but the plot just changed suddenly. At some point i thought he is dreaming, i have to say i got confused. More than anything i do think is a good piece of story telling, writing is an art and not everyone who reads it is meant to understand it. I did enjoy it.
Matt Norris
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thirteen Cents is why we write narratives. Azure's helps us to understand the palimpsestic nature of Cape Town, how race is layered over space, and how a child's perspective is always necessary. Must read to begin to understand the aftermath of apartheid in South Africa.
Marco
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn’t what I hoped for, I say to myself.
Lauren Caprioglio
Lisa
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars, stand-alones
3.75 stars!
Zandile
Oct 12, 2010 rated it liked it
i enjoy reading the book even though sometimes i could not grasp to what the author was trying to communicate. i would not recommend this book to any sensitive reader becuase of its horrific nutare.some of the things Azu THE PROTAGONIST had to go through i felf were bit far-featched. on the other side i love what Sello Duiker was trying to do with this novel. His intentions were to show or expose the unspoken side of any city.with our ignorance we forget or we choose not to think about this othe ...more
Tiah
Feb 01, 2015 added it
- Pigeons, people, they are all the same. At the end of the day they are just rats. They'll take you out for a few crumbs of bread. -

- I start to feed off the light and begin to slowly forget my hunger. Grown-ups, this is how they teach me to be strong. I take in their light and destroy them with fire. -

- They are beautiful seagulls. They have white feathers that they look after and you never see a seagull that looks battered with dirty wings like some pigeons. Seagulls have pride, they always
Josie
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Published in 2002 this won the Commonwealth Writer's Prize.
Set in Cape Town, this is a very grim look at an orphaned street child of 13 years old who attempts to survive in a gangster world that he should have no part of.
Although this book is depressingly disturbing, its an easy and quick read at its 164 pages, but is not one that doesn't leave a mark on you.
I enjoyed reading this, however the ending completely lost me. Was that a dream or did the book take a sci-fi / fantasy turn?...for the wor
Lisa Lazarus
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the story of a 13 year old orphaned boy named Azure (or Blue) because of his unusual blue eyes, who lives on the streets in Cape Town - in Sea Point, and under the bridge construction that was never completed - all places I know well. His world, however, is one I do not know. He sells his body to men for money for food, he lives with gangsters and drug dealers; he has only one friend. It is a devastating portrayal of a young life; the more devastating because it is so close to home. It i ...more
Mzoxolo Christopher
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely riveting book! Brutally charged coming-of-age tale of a blue-eyed street kid hard living in the heart of 'Mother City'. Certainly not for the faith hearted!
The first 2/3 of the book is a page turner, keeps you sucked in at a high pace as the thirteen year old boy survives and tricks the streets of Cape Town. Then the author bewilderingly throws you off guard at the end, paintings a surreal mind frame of the boy- interchange of fact and fantasy into maturity. Almost a reflection of K.
Claudia
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I'll admit that it gets really weird towards the end- if you read on the surface. There's a ton of symbolism and metaphors thrown at the reader at the end of it, but I like it; it read a bit easy in the beginning.
This really isn't for the easily upset. Told from the perspective of a twelve/thirteen-year-old street kid, everything he encounters is put before you in its rawest form. Some of the experiences recounted by the narrator, Azure, are absolute horrors.
Phumlani
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second book by K Sello Duiker i read and like Quiet Violence Of Dreams, i find it quite disturbing and boundary pushing. I enjoyed it immensely and would not recommend it to any one who is sensitive.
The 13 year old character goes through a lot of hardship and pain, the scenes make you stop reading and digest what actually happens and leaves you feeling fortunate to be living the life you're living. A brilliant book written by a seemingly troubled soul.
Zharina Alvarez
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book is very insightful on the reality that many children face in the streets of Cape Town and perhaps other cities in Africa. The author did a great job, his language was clear as well as metaphorical in some parts. I finish the book the same day I started it and I am still going over some sections in my head to maybe grasp the true meaning of the words. Overall the book was very insightful but not for the sensitive reader since it is very descriptive.
-Z
Emmkay
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Brief, dark story about a 12 year old orphan living on the streets of Cape Town. I didn't 'like' reading it; it was unremittingly bleak and painfully graphic in its descriptions of the beatings and sexual exploitation that Azure experiences. I also had a hard time following the Afrikaans interspersed throughout the dialogue, or understanding some of the dream sequences. I do know I'll remember it, however.
Audrey Van zee
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Despite the graphic sexual scenes and magical realism at the end, Azure's story was interesting to read while staying in the same area of Cape Town that his fictional life is set in. Thirteen cents gives a vivid view of what it is like to be a homeless child in one of the most unequal cities in the world.
Aaron
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: african-lit
It's a tough book about a street kid in Capetown. The novel is very well done and combine elements of magical realism with what the reviewer (Villjoen) calls hyperrealism. I like the hyperrealist parts, but the whole thing also leaves a depressing taste of post-Apartheid Capetown.
Ironflower
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very hard read. Be prepared for the bitter truth about those that were forgotten..the children of post Apartheid South Africa. They witnessed a change that swept the country but victims of societal ills have left them behind.
Wouter Pocornie
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-novels
Short, nonetheless very heavy to read. A young boy's 'minimal' (my understanding of 'thirteen cents as a metaphor) existence in South Africa.

K. Sello Duiker has written interesting books. Sadly, he's no longer alive.
Dakotah
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will break your heart, but Duiker's language throughout makes the book hard to put away. If you want an honest and unforgiving account of the post-apartheid societal landscape of Cape Town, South Africa in 2000.
Aly
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not ashamed to admit that the last few chapters of this book confused me to no end. I did not know how to interpret what I assumed were symbolic meanings because I think I lacked a certain cultural/background knowledge. With that in mind, this is not a book that I enjoyed at.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Vacation
  • The Madonna of Excelsior
  • From the Ashes of Angels: The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race
  • Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams
  • The Threat: The Secret Agenda What the Aliens Really Want and How They Plan to Get It
  • Thabo Mbeki: The Dream Deferred
  • Mine Boy
  • You Can't Get Lost in Cape Town
  • Angels, Demons & Gods of the New Millenium: Musings on Modern Magick
  • Down Second Avenue: Growing Up in a South African Ghetto
  • How Can Man Die Better: The Life Of Robert Sobukwe
  • House of Stone: The True Story of a Family Divided in War-Torn Zimbabwe
  • Strange Angel: The Otherworldly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons
Kabelo 'Sello' Duiker's debut novel, Thirteen Cents won the Commonwealth Writers Prize for Best First Book, Africa Region.

He suffered a nervous breakdown in 2004, prior to committing suicide by hanging himself in January 2005.
More about K. Sello Duiker

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Enemy Women
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
  • I Know This Much Is True
    $11.73 $2.99
  • Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird, #2)
    $10.76 $2.99
  • Before I Let You Go
    $10.00 $2.99
  • I'll Be Your Blue Sky
    $13.00 $2.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
  • The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street: A Novel
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand