Jump to ratings and reviews

The Power of Memoir

A groundbreaking work for healing long-term emotional problems

The Power of Memoir is a pioneering how-to book that provides a new step-by-step program to use memoir writing as a therapeutic process. By going through these steps you'll learn how to choose the significant milestones and turning points that make up a coherent story leading to a life-changing epiphany.

Help uncover the secret stories that are the keys to healing Explore the dynamics and roles of dysfunctional families Heal old wounds, creating a better present and brighter future Using many examples from her students and clients, the author shows how creative, well-planned, and carefully researched memoir writing can offer a process for sorting out the truth from lies and family myths.

272 pages, Paperback

3 books1 follower

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
6 (3%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 28 of 28 reviews
Profile Image for Paola Graziani.
Author 2 books4 followers
August 23, 2012
I had already started writing my memoir when my husband came across this book and bought it as a gift for me. The Power of Memoir appeared at the perfect time and was instrumental in guiding me through my writing. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to embark on a healing journey and write a memoir- whether to share with the world or just for themselves.
Profile Image for Betsy Fasbinder.
Author 3 books28 followers
February 19, 2010
This is a wonderful book for anyone who entertaining the idea of memoir writing. Linda Joy Myers brings her skills as both a writer and a psychotherapist to bear, helping people not only to write good stories, but to write about their own history in a way that brings healing and reconciliation. She weaves in the credible research that has been done on the process of personal healing through writing, but does so in a way that doesn't bog the book down. The book offers writing exercises at the end of each chapter, lots of resources, terrific writing tips. Perhaps what is best about this book is that it is realistic. Writing about past trauma, loss, abuse or other challenges can bring up difficult emotions. The author is especially helpful at helping people to quiet the "critical voices" that come to all writers, memoirists in particular. Heartfelt, wise and practical.
Profile Image for Linda.
Author 10 books118 followers
May 5, 2010
The Power of Memoir is a groundbreaking book that presents an innovative step-by-step program using memoir writing on the journey of emotional and physical healing. By drawing on the eight steps outlined in The Power of Memoir, you learn how to choose the significant milestones in your life and weave together your personal story. You'll discover how writing your truths and shaping your narrative propel you toward a life-changing transformation. The Power of Memoir offers the tools you need to heal the pain of the past and create a better present and a brighter future.
Profile Image for Rhonda Rae Baker.
396 reviews
August 5, 2012
I read this through and then worked through each chapter as I'm in the process of writing memoir. An irreplacable resource for those seeking direction and healing through the process of writing.

I discovered many layers to my own story and am pressing for deeper waters. This instruction not only helped me organize what I've been fighting but also gave me the tools to continue on. Reshaping my thoughts through freewriting and strengthening my resolve to write.

Thank you Linda...I'll be reading this again and again.

I can't recommend this high enough for those serious about making a difference in their lives as well as those of others.
Profile Image for Bailey.
142 reviews25 followers
December 15, 2022
A very good prep for memoir writing, too eager on the issue of forgiveness though.
Profile Image for Clara.
97 reviews14 followers
December 9, 2014
Valuable book on writing memoir. Linda Joy Myers teaches what she wr ites. See her her own memoir "Don't Call Me Mother". She advoctes making a list of ten or twelve life changes and write a page or two about it and start your memoir from there using those pearls as a necklace of string which would be your reflection about those pearls. Loved the book.
Profile Image for Trudy.
4 reviews2 followers
November 22, 2014
Are you fearful to write YOUR truth? Assignments to help you work through them. I have read this many times. Now also on Audible (EVEN BETTER) listen and read. ITS THE BEST! I recommend this book, VERY much, you need to know this information if you want to write a memoir. One of my favorite books on how to write your book. This is a how-to/story your story book that really helps.
Profile Image for D.G. Kaye.
Author 9 books120 followers
May 3, 2013
I found this book very helpful in constructing the layout for the writing of my memoir book. Linda takes you through the steps of how to write a memoir from the beginning, middle to end stages. I highly recommend this as a writing aid for all memoir writers.
Profile Image for Susan.
Author 6 books165 followers
August 4, 2013
This is a very healing book about writing a healing memoir. The author's caring personality comes through and I feel like she's definitely someone I'd want guiding me. I was especially impressed by the student excerpts at the back of the book. Powerful.
214 reviews6 followers
May 18, 2010
I liked this much more than her memoir. This is a fairly complete "how to" book on writing memoir for yourself and includes some of the things you need to write one for publication.
8 reviews
May 16, 2012

A good book about the writing process of memoir. I will probably read it again as I proceed through my own memoirs.
Profile Image for Carmen.
2 reviews1 follower
May 9, 2014
I could not put this book down. So easy to read. So informative. I am writing my first memior and I found this book very informative and helpful.
Profile Image for Yvensong.
871 reviews50 followers
April 25, 2015
I didn't actually finish going through all the "exercises", but found the book very useful for anyone who would like to explore writing their own memoir.
Profile Image for Jitendra Kotai.
Author 2 books12 followers
December 8, 2020
Writing has always been about healing for me. When I write down my memories I am often amazed at the details I can remember. Some memories just get fresh when you start writing and after you finish this anecdote, you sit and stare at it, amazed at the beauty of your brain to recollect. The subconscious mind stores more than you could ever imagine, it flows when you sit down to write a memoir, your own healing story.
Profile Image for Lori Johnstone.
130 reviews2 followers
March 31, 2020
This book is unlike other memoir writing books I've read in that it also incorporates the healing aspects of writing from a therapist's perspective. The author is herself a therapist and a writing teacher. I also appreciated the sections on structure and it was a nice touch to have excerpts from people she has worked with in workshops. This book incorporates research and is really well done.
Profile Image for Vig Gleeson.
127 reviews1 follower
October 16, 2021
Thank you so much, Linda Myers, for your work on this book.
It helped me on so many levels. The best books on writing memoirs out there.
Essential reading for every memoirist and those who are thinking about writing their own story.

Listened to the audiobook version on Scribd
14 reviews
August 7, 2022
Lots of great information. I originally took it out of the library but there is so much of value in it that I purchased it to have as an educational resource.
Profile Image for Peter Gibb.
Author 3 books3 followers
June 15, 2017
Linda Joy Myers is well qualified to talk about memoir. She's (now) written two memoirs herself, she's a therapist, and she is president of the natl Assn of Memoir Writers, the premier organization devoted to memoir writing and supporting memoir writers. The book has three basic sections to it. The first is a fairly prescriptive outline of steps to go through if you're thinking of writing a memoir. There's lots of good advice here, especially for those starting out, who want a strong hand to guide them. The second section, looks at what I think of as "Transformative Writing" or writng for the explicit purpose of personal healing. Could be emotional or physical wounds. This is really a subset of memoir writing, and the author, as therapist, has lots to say and lots of experience. The final section of this book contains a number of short "memoir essays" written by students. Some of these are very moving, and all of them respond eloquently to the question so many memoirists worry about, "Do I have to be an experienced writer to write a memoir." And the answer is, "NO."
22 reviews
August 16, 2016
Memoir can heal

This book I is written by and for therapists who use writing memoir in their practice. writer's can gain sou from reading this book. The idea is the same as for any writing. do not listen to your inner critic. tAke fifto minutes a day to freewrite memories. memoir needs a The Sandgate tion as every other genre.Every story needs a begin I g, middle and end. Memoir is truth writing but the writer still uses fiction tion techniques.
Profile Image for Kenn.
20 reviews2 followers
November 6, 2012
I am currently writing my memoir and wanted to have a 'how-to' book that talk s about the healing that comes from writing such. Many of the processes Linda advances I have already done on my own. So it seemed like I was validating my own thinking. I am currently reading her memoir to further understand her how-to's, why's and of the like.
Profile Image for Suzanne.
2 reviews
August 24, 2010
Aimed at beginners who have not yet started a memoir or who are writing a memoir to heal, rather than publish. A lot of unnecessary psychological information is included, meant to relate to the theme of writing as healing.
Profile Image for Bettyann.
23 reviews7 followers
March 21, 2013
Powerful how-to for writing memoir. In depth inspiration for writing to heal. Bonus is the selected passages of extraordinary writing from other memoirs. I can see going back to this time and again for guidance.
Profile Image for Quinn.
Author 3 books28 followers
January 6, 2015
A really excellent book on memoir writing. Answers a lot of questions on sequencing, what to include, what to skip over and how to create a memoir that heals the past. A must-read for anyone thinking of writing a memoir. Practice and prompts make this a practical book for all writers.
Profile Image for Cathy.
31 reviews2 followers
August 17, 2014
useful sections on various aspects - the psychological process, mechanics of writing, publishing, and using writing as therapy.
Displaying 1 - 28 of 28 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.